• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Brawl dead?

The Prince L

Smash Apprentice
This statement is so incorrect! Also that match between us was literally a joke we were pulling vs. each other. People took it to the next level.
The game is dead since the best characters were MK and Icies. What if Peach and Puff were the best characters in Melee ?

RetroGamersGuru

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RetroGamersGuru
The game is dead since the best characters were MK and Icies. What if Peach and Puff were the best characters in Melee ?
This is only because the community tried to have MK legal, which made the stage list not have the bad stages for Icies. If people wanted to, they can still play the game. Besides, Peach and Puff have to be more aggressive nowadays.

MarthZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NESman1995
it was dead after sm4sh pretty much because the engine in that game is faster and has improved graphics but i look at the tier list and theres some pretty rediculous spots for characters jiggly puff is in F class how does that even happen of yeah they screwed up rest thats as if i put falco in brawl and said no shine no lasers go down to the F class and olimar in A+ a higher rank than Marth try putting kirby and roy in s class for melee and also meta knight banned is just over reacting i mean thats if they banned marth in melee meta knight didn't have that big of priority over the others

ASchlosser12

Smash Rookie
I would say Brawl is dead mainly because of the tier lists being solely based off of Meta Knight and how well they perform off of him.

NarukamiSSB

Smash Rookie
it was dead after sm4sh pretty much because the engine in that game is faster and has improved graphics but i look at the tier list and theres some pretty rediculous spots for characters jiggly puff is in F class how does that even happen of yeah they screwed up rest thats as if i put falco in brawl and said no shine no lasers go down to the F class and olimar in A+ a higher rank than Marth try putting kirby and roy in s class for melee and also meta knight banned is just over reacting i mean thats if they banned marth in melee meta knight didn't have that big of priority over the others
I like your ideas, but please use a period.

Ifrit_Smash

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Skyloftknight123
3DS FC
1375-7213-2200
I would say Brawl is dead mainly because of the tier lists being solely based off of Meta Knight and how well they perform off of him.
couldn't help but notice your profile pic is fox... "mainly because of the tier lists being solely based off of Fox and Falco and how well they perform off of him"

Ifrit_Smash

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Skyloftknight123
3DS FC
1375-7213-2200
yeah, I main marth. I'm not defending Brawl in any way. Just saying that the "Tier list dominate characters" can't be used to bash teh game since melee suffers in the same area.

DV8R001

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1435-4406-8453
I would say competitively it's dead, but The Subspace Emissary is the funnest thing to play with a buddy. I often find myself playing it again just because of how fun, different and pretty it was.

ASchlosser12

Smash Rookie
yeah, I main marth. I'm not defending Brawl in any way. Just saying that the "Tier list dominate characters" can't be used to bash teh game since melee suffers in the same area.
I see what you mean. I just use Fox because I like the way he plays and his moves. I didn't figure out he was top tier up until I read the tier lists. And I think that other #1 tier characters are beatable, but Meta Knight practically had an advantage over everyone. Fox can be viable to characters like Marth, Sheik, and Jigglypuff. Meta Knight is almost unbeatable unless you chain grab with Ice Climbers or be extremely good with other characters.

Ifrit_Smash

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Skyloftknight123
3DS FC
1375-7213-2200
I see what you mean. I just use Fox because I like the way he plays and his moves. I didn't figure out he was top tier up until I read the tier lists. And I think that other #1 tier characters are beatable, but Meta Knight practically had an advantage over everyone. Fox can be viable to characters like Marth, Sheik, and Jigglypuff. Meta Knight is almost unbeatable unless you chain grab with Ice Climbers or be extremely good with other characters.
guess Amsa kinda shows that tiers aren't everything, since he can go toe to toe with the best of fox's as ypshi and win.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
yeah but melees tier list is based off of punish game
Not entirely...

There are many reasons a character can be better or worse. But I wouldn't say punish game is the case for the Melee cast.

As for Brawl, maybe I'd do it for fun, but honestly when Smash 4 fixed a lot of the things I didn't like about Brawl so I don't see much of a reason to go back outside of Wolf...but I also play PM so idk, I guess for the feel of him there or messing around with Brawl Lucario.

idk, I just feel like the newer game improved on a lot of what was there.

ZeldaZephyr

Smash Apprentice
Well... There's a few things that Brawl did that i didn't like that Smash 4 improved on such as no dumb tripping mechanic and some characters got new ''boosts'' I never played PM so i can't give my personal opinion on it. But it looks awesome!

KevN くコ:彡

Smash Journeyman
I still love Brawl. Even after Smash 4, I still like to go back to Brawl. However I will admit, I am glad 4 took out tripping and buffed Bowser.

KevN くコ:彡

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I always thought that was weird. Surely the king of koopas deserved something better than that. But that drop kick he has now, hoo boy!

ABloodyCanadian

Smash Cadet
NNID
ABCanadian
3DS FC
4957-6118-7040
I only play Brawl when I'm working on a Brawl Mod. I myself am currently working on a custom moveset for Peach based on a character that y'all are not interested in... lol...

As far as gameplay goes, I'd go to Sm4sh any day.

Just to add onto the Brawl Hacking Scene as a Brawl Vault Staff, uploads to the Vault have been consistent to about 6 Uploads a day? That number can vary. The forums itself is quite active in it's modding discussions. But quality work takes up time. As an Attacks/Animations guy, it could take weeks to months.

Last edited:

ZeldaZephyr

Smash Apprentice
I love Bowser's new drop kick attack. He is surely a much better character than ever!

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
The only reason I was going back and playing Brawl was for Lucas. Now that he's going to be in Smash 4, there's not really a reason for me to go back.
This is pretty much gonna be the same case for me when Lucas comes out. Probably the only reason I'll go back to Brawl is for the Ice Climbers. I miss the little guys so much.

OscarZlash

Smash Rookie
Well, learning about the smash community through the "The Smash Brothers" documentary, naturally I wanted to go for melee. However, I soon realised that applying emulators and such for my Wii U would suck, so I bit the dust and went for Brawl. This was last year. A few months later, Sm4sh came out and I bought it. I think it was a good transition to go from Brawl to Sm4sh, as it was not as big a shock in terms of gameplay. So I think it isn't dead because of the big name sm4sh players who trained for sm4sh through Brawl.

FrankTheStud

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FrankDaStud
I love how everything I predicted about this game came to pass.

Guys, a game never fully dies. Take the individual effort to connect with other brawl players, host weeklies, do what it takes to bring brawl back. Because although I don't like it, it's way better than smash4!
I've never heard of an opinion being "wrong" until I read this cringe-worthy comment. While there is no such thing as a "bad" Smash game, Sm4sh is a HUGE step up from Brawl.

Last edited:

Dashie

Smash Cadet
I would be playing Brawl still if my region still hosted them lol.
Pikachu basically has an even matchup against Meta Knight and I don't really have to much trouble against other characters either (I find the worst match up to be olimar tho xP).

I miss using Pika's moveset in Brawl competitively.

Smash 4's good though so I'm not to sad. :p

Last edited:

Omar_25

Smash Superstar
Brawl is only mostly dead. There are still a few people that play it. Recently I've been wanting to get a little more into brawl because it's just such an interesting game. I honestly don't see why people always seem to dislike it so much.

Schnizzle Fits

Smash Cadet
Brawl is looking even worse as time goes on. I'm one of those few people that could accept what Brawl was, flaws and all, even while playing Melee. People left it for varied reasons. Most will go to the scapegoat of tripping, but whatever nobody liked it. Others, like me, just don't want to deal with Meta Knight anymore. I stopped watching tourneys, because the top 8 where filled with MKs. Everything about him just dragged people down. So much that nobody complains about him in 4 because they feel he deserves it, almost nobody even plays him. Also Smash 4's balance is another reason. You can pick up a character and roll with them and at least get results.

I mean it is sad to see Brawl go because it's ATs are the most amazing things in a Smash game. Maybe some day it could come back ( with the shiny new rule of Meta Knight being banned). Also Wolf. He doesn't deserve to stay on Brawl.

ZeldaZephyr

Smash Apprentice
Yeah when there's nothing but Meta Knight everywhere back in Brawl.

Brawl became a lot less fun...

Trieste SP

Smash Champion
The lack of Brawl tournaments pretty much makes it dead. I haven't been to one since last year.

N.T.A.O ChangeOfHeart 死の剣

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
You really need to explain your reasons towards this "Is Brawl dead" no the video game Super Smash Brothers Brawl is not dead.

Just because the game isn't featured in tournaments or SSBB video matches are uploaded on Youtube doesn't mean a dam thing. Ever thought to think maybe people are busy in life and in due time will upload stuff for Brawl.

Just as soon as I have enough time to focus all my patience and precision, I will upload nothing but Brawl matches and do the best I can possibly do to hush the people who talk without thinking correctly (this however don't bother me but the majority it does so yes). Thanks.

Last edited:

Kidd Ryze

Smash Rookie
NNID
KiddRyze
3DS FC
4639-9938-5875
Yeah, mostly. Project M and Smash 4 absolutely obliterated Brawl's scene.

CptJPuff

Smash Journeyman
The competitive scene is dead. and should stay dead. The combination of Smash 4 and Project M definitely killed it.

I wouldn't be surprised if minor tournaments were having Brawl, but the majority of the Smash scene just doesn't care about Brawl anymore.

I should mention too, any attempt to revive Brawl won't go far due to how limited the game is compared to Melee (PM, too) or Smash 4.

Top Bottom