• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is across-the-board low landing lag on aerials really necessary?

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Hardly like brawl are you seeing the same game it looks just like brawl in hd with some fixes.
Brawl plays like Melee without wavedash.
See how incredibly ignorant that sounds? Well, think about it...

I've always supported the notion that certain attacks should obviously have high landing lag as a form of balance...if a move's too powerful like Bowser's F-Air or Link's D-Air, I still believe there should be some commitment on using them.

pizzapie7

Smash Ace
Melee purists are fanatical about absolute and total control of everything
I'm not going to bother with the insane generalizations or the wrong information and "liking the game the wrong way" in the rest of your post, but I'll address this point.

What is wrong with that? In a video game, why is wanting absolute and total control of your character a bad thing? Isn't that what video games are supposed to be, the player controlling his character as best he can, in order to become good at the game? That awful Destructoid article and the people who bash the Melee-fanbase pose this as a bad thing, but isn't this the norm for anybody who plays video games, regardless of the game or genre?

To respond to the topic at hand, I agree with what other people like @JV5Chris have said already. Reducing the landing lag makes offensive play more dynamic and defensive play more interesting. Reducing it isn't the same as removing it, of course. Not like we can reduce it anyway, that'd be too close to Melee for these people, regardless of whether or not it'd be an improvement. Can't have a Melee 2.0 on our hands, game aren't supposed to improve.

D

Deleted member 245254

I'm not going to bother with the insane generalizations or the wrong information and "liking the game the wrong way" in the rest of your post, but I'll address this point.

What is wrong with that? In a video game, why is wanting absolute and total control of your character a bad thing? Isn't that what video games are supposed to be, the player controlling his character as best he can, in order to become good at the game? That awful Destructoid article and the people who bash the Melee-fanbase pose this as a bad thing, but isn't this the norm for anybody who plays video games, regardless of the game or genre?

To respond to the topic at hand, I agree with what other people like @JV5Chris have said already. Reducing the landing lag makes offensive play more dynamic and defensive play more interesting. Reducing it isn't the same as removing it, of course. Not like we can reduce it anyway, that'd be too close to Melee for these people, regardless of whether or not it'd be an improvement. Can't have a Melee 2.0 on our hands, game aren't supposed to improve.
Restrictions are the basis for which skill is even observed. If you can do anything...why would it be impressive for you to do anything?

This applies to Smash 4. There must be drawbacks, cons if you will, to using certain abilities, and your job as the player is to take that in to account when you play, to make the best decisions on the fly based on your chosen character. At this point, we now have the ability to observe your skill, as you control your character to the best of its ability within its specific physical limitations to beat other players playing within theirs.

Last edited by a moderator:

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord

I've always supported the notion that certain attacks should obviously have high landing lag as a form of balance...if a move's too powerful like Bowser's F-Air or Link's D-Air, I still believe there should be some commitment on using them.
Bowser's FAir is not too powerful and is, in fact, his auto-cancel aerial approach. So I hardly think that it's a good example, though I do see what you're getting at. Link's DAir, however, is a good example of such a move in that there is a very high reward for successfully landing that spike at the start of the move. That spike is both a kill move off-stage and a combo tool on-stage, and deals quite a decent chunk of damage.

topspin1617

Smash Apprentice
NNID
topspin1617
3DS FC
0318-7760-0788
Restrictions are the basis for which skill is even observed. If you can do anything...why would it be impressive for you to do anything?

This applies to Smash 4. There must be drawbacks, cons if you will, to using certain abilities, and your job as the player is to take that in to account when you play, to make the best decisions on the fly based on your chosen character. At this point, we now have the ability to observe your skill, as you control your character to the best of its ability within its specific physical limitations to beat other players playing within theirs.
This very nicely sums up pretty much exactly what I've been trying to say.

pizzapie7

Smash Ace

You act as though Melee was any different, and there were no drawbacks or cons or checks and balances in that game because the game had less lag on aerials. I'm not really seeing your point, the player will be tested regardless of whether or not this lag exists.

But Smash has always existed as a Sakurai's answer to traditional fighting games, with the analog controls and much more dynamic platforming and movement options. That is one of the main draws of the game and I believe Sakurai has claimed that the game was designed with that purpose in mind. The game is designed to be fluid and free, and many people feel like one of the ways to best accomplish this is from reducing the landing lag.

Raijinken

Smash Master

Both sides accuse each other of wanting an extreme, regardless of the situation. And neither side does a good job of discussing the pros or cons of a middle ground.

Across-the-board low lag is, of course, unnecessary. Across-the-board high lag is the same (unnecessary). Ideally, endlag needs to be low enough to allow versatility in air-to-ground and ground-to-air play, but high enough to incorporate a risk factor that forces your method of approach to be a planned decision, instead of a reaction to the thought "I want to attack".

As for total control, I agree with Zipzo, it's the limits on control that allow you to determine skill.

Basically, as a platforming action fighter, Smash should not turn into a standard fighting game where there is one objectively superior approach, and any character lacking that option is unviable. It should keep as much knowledge, skill, and strategy going into each decision and action as possible, and in previous versions of Smash, that was not generally the case.

And fluidity and freedom do not cater to balance when they favor a single playstyle, and I would rather the game be balanced between styles than feel superbly free.

Last edited:

Renji64

Smash Lord

If it played anything like melee it would be a good game and not borderline dead.

D

Deleted member 245254

You act as though Melee was any different, and there were no drawbacks or cons or checks and balances in that game because the game had less lag on aerials. I'm not really seeing your point, the player will be tested regardless of whether or not this lag exists.

But Smash has always existed as a Sakurai's answer to traditional fighting games, with the analog controls and much more dynamic platforming and movement options. That is one of the main draws of the game and I believe Sakurai has claimed that the game was designed with that purpose in mind. The game is designed to be fluid and free, and many people feel like one of the ways to best accomplish this is from reducing the landing lag.
You are correct in that Melee tests you similarly, however Sakurai has already made this quite clear, but Melee tests you in the wrong way.

It tests your technical reflexes to a degree he was unhappy with. I think it's be silly to disagree that Melee at a high level is undeniably technical, and that was the pure opposite of his intention.

The way Smash 4 is choosing to allow you to illustrate your skill is more in line with the dynamic Sakurai was aiming for originally. It's not an inferior design, it's admittedly different though. That's the magic of the Smash franchise though, you are always free to competitively play past iterations. Melee clearly isn't going to just fall off the map, so it's in everyone's interest for you to keep playing it, if you are so inclined to be unable to move on from Melee's eventual and somewhat unintended design quirks.

I've also proposed through extensive analysis that high level Melee is not a physically healthy design for Smash, as well. It goes without saying that l-cancelling fit very squarely in to the list of perps.

There are all kinds of reasons why the direction of Smash 4 is the most logical, you just have to take all things in to consideration, not just the things you want.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Low landing lag promotes offense and combo gameplay. It assures the importance and significance of states such as hitstun. Lacking this assures that there will be more time put into the neutral game in a given match, but does nothing to assure the depth of said neutral game.
It simply, at this point, is a matter of deciding whether the landing lag is low enough to assure that aggression is a major part of the gameplay.
I am of the opinion that the forseeable state of aerial landing lag in Smash 4 is poor in this regard. I am further of the opinion that this is simply undesirable, as I wish offensive play to be rewarded more generously as to be a significant part of gameplay.

Raijinken

Smash Master
I am of the opinion that the forseeable state of aerial landing lag in Smash 4 is poor in this regard. I am further of the opinion that this is simply undesirable, as I wish offensive play to be rewarded more generously as to be a significant part of gameplay.
I think most of us wish for aggression to be significant. But I for one think there are ways to do it without making aerial approach the most viable option. For instance, what if endlag on dash attacks was reduced? Or what if shields went back to their N64 levels of deployment and dropping lag? There are other ways to encourage aggression without making a specific type of attack almost universally safer.

topspin1617

Smash Apprentice
NNID
topspin1617
3DS FC
0318-7760-0788
I think most of us wish for aggression to be significant. But I for one think there are ways to do it without making aerial approach the most viable option. For instance, what if endlag on dash attacks was reduced? Or what if shields went back to their N64 levels of deployment and dropping lag? There are other ways to encourage aggression without making a specific type of attack almost universally safer.
Right; why do short-hopped aerials (where you can pick any aerial you want at any time) have to be the only way to do it? Why can't we balance ground approaches and aerial approaches, so there are moves that are good for each, and decisions not so good for each?

D

Deleted member 245254

Low landing lag promotes offense and combo gameplay. It assures the importance and significance of states such as hitstun. Lacking this assures that there will be more time put into the neutral game in a given match, but does nothing to assure the depth of said neutral game.
It simply, at this point, is a matter of deciding whether the landing lag is low enough to assure that aggression is a major part of the gameplay.
I'm going to start calling out posts that refer to landing lag as a universal entity in Smash 4, like this one.

We've seen footage of plenty of aerials within the game on the entire set of characters available in the demo with abilities that have little to very inconsequential landing lag. Even characters not playable yet, like Lucina's nair, have been observed to have nigh zero landing lag.

If anyone is going to complain about landing lag, from here on out they must clarify which character and which ability they are referring to.

No more blatant cop-out in just saying "reduce landing lag", a statement that has barely if any resonance with what we've actually seen in the footage we have, a statement that is hardly qualifying as criticism due to the inconsistent nature of its presence, observably.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Right; why do short-hopped aerials (where you can pick any aerial you want at any time) have to be the only way to do it? Why can't we balance ground approaches and aerial approaches, so there are moves that are good for each, and decisions not so good for each?
Well, we don't want to run into the issue of having moves that are considered generally bad, whether for damage or hit or lag properties. We want all moves to offer something roughly equivalent, and the decision on the player to be to figure out within a few brief moments which of those options will result in the enemy flying in the desired direction. The risk factor should be what accounts for the enemy's skill, as if you choose the move that spikes the enemy on hit, but they avoid, then you should be punishable for failing a less-safe option. While I like L-canceling as a way of adding more technical skill to the game, it is purely technical skill, and not strategic skill. There is "never", to my knowledge, a time that you would not want to L-cancel your ending lag. Sakurai intends for the games to be competitive, but accessible, and technical skill gaps are not conducive to his goals.

Hentai_Kittie

Smash Cadet
I'm going to start calling out posts that refer to landing lag as a universal entity in Smash 4, like this one.

We've seen footage of plenty of aerials within the game on the entire set of characters available in the demo with abilities that have little to very inconsequential landing lag. Even characters not playable yet, like Lucina's nair, have been observed to have night zero landing lag.

If anyone is going to complain about landing lag, from here on out they must clarify which character and which ability they are referring to.

No more blatant cop-out in just saying "reduce landing lag", a statement that has barely if any resonance with what we've actually seen in the footage we have, a statement that is hardly qualifying as criticism due to the inconsistent nature of its presence, observably.
This. I just watched quite a few videos from VGBootcamp where Shiek and Zelda have almost non-existent landing lag and quite a few aerials (those are the only two i've gotten to so far). I think it's safe to say certain characters will have low landing lag while others have large amouts of lag. I like this because every aspect of the characters are being changed for balance purposes.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I've also proposed through extensive analysis that high level Melee is not a physically healthy design for Smash, as well. It goes without saying that l-cancelling fit very squarely in to the list of perps.
This is an important point that no one ever talks about, that I've seen. Playing high tech skill characters in Melee for years has taken a toll on M2K's hands, for one. Now it's been a long time since I've heard anything about this, and I don't know how he is now or if he sought medical attention or what, but there has been the rumor that he has favored Marth over all other characters due to the ability to play more slowly and still get the results he wants. Obviously M2K loves to switch characters to give himself the advantage, but when he's able to, in Melee, he favors Marth. I don't watch all his matches; I haven't kept a running tab on how many times he uses specific characters; I'm just saying what I've heard and seen. Obviously M2K is unique individual who doesn't think or play exactly like any other player, who may not have the same kind of physical limitations as some people like SilentWolf who have been playing Fox for many years, etc.

TL;DR I think slowing down the speed of controller input a TAD and favoring more ergonomic inputs will benefit gamers' hands in the long run. No one wants to have to stop playing due to hand cramps or arthritis or carpel tunnel or what have you. I'm not saying it's widespread, but people like M2K who reportedly play Smash to an inordinate degree have at least talked about discomfort, or loss of hand dexterity over time. Part of that is just the human condition, but Smash shouldn't accelerate that, certainly.

Last edited:

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Personally, I think aerials should have a TON of landing lag if you miss, and none if you connect. That way combos can connect but if you just throw a move out and miss you get punished. I like a system of strong punishes and long combos. This would offer the advantage Brawl offers of forcing players to think out their approach a little more (instead of applying shield pressure just because you are fast) but at the same time let players earn huge rewards of being able to follow up with combos for managing to secure a well earned/timed hit with their aerials.

Last edited:

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
Well, we don't want to run into the issue of having moves that are considered generally bad, whether for damage or hit or lag properties. We want all moves to offer something roughly equivalent, and the decision on the player to be to figure out within a few brief moments which of those options will result in the enemy flying in the desired direction. The risk factor should be what accounts for the enemy's skill, as if you choose the move that spikes the enemy on hit, but they avoid, then you should be punishable for failing a less-safe option.
Of course we do not want any move to be "bad" in all regards. Every move should have its place in gameplay, be it as a combo starter, combo finisher, utility in continuing a combo, or as a punishment tool or to land a KO. Brawl had this problem: there were moves that were, plain and simple, bad. Bad as in "do not use this move for anything other than reducing staleness of other moves" bad, or even "do not use this move even for reducing staleness of other moves". For example, Sonic's dash attack was weak enough to be unusable because you could be punished despite successfully landing the hit.

Senario

Smash Ace
This is an important point that no one ever talks about, that I've seen. Playing high tech skill characters in Melee for years has taken a toll on M2K's hands, for one. Now it's been a long time since I've heard anything about this, and I don't know how he is now or if he sought medical attention or what, but there has been the rumor that he has favored Marth over all other characters due to the ability to play more slowly and still get the results he wants. Obviously M2K loves to switch characters to give himself the advantage, but when he's able to, in Melee, he favors Marth. I don't watch all his matches; I haven't kept a running tab on how many times he uses specific characters; I'm just saying what I've heard and seen. Obviously M2K is unique individual who doesn't think or play exactly like any other player, who may not have the same kind of physical limitations as some people like SilentWolf who have been playing Fox for many years, etc.

TL;DR I think slowing down the speed of controller input a TAD and favoring more ergonomic inputs will benefit gamers' hands in the long run. No one wants to have to stop playing due to hand cramps or arthritis or what have you. I'm not saying it's widespread, but people like M2K who reportedly play Smash to an inordinate degree have at least talked about discomfort, or loss of hand dexterity over time. Part of that is just the human condition, but Smash shouldn't accelerate that, certainly.
I think the only problem with the health argument is that nobody is asking the game to be super technical. Low landing lag is low landing lag regardless of input. It isn't the game's fault that it causes hand problems, that is due to the players pushing the upper limits of the game very hard. That is no excuse for TAKING OUT mechanics compared to Simplifying them so that those at the top don't ruin their hands mastering the game and those at the bottom can learn to be better players if they so choose.

Inb4 attacked by some person saying essentially, "I hate people who play melee and don't want you to enjoy smash 4" comment. Lots of melee fans agree that low landing lag across the board would be better for your hands. And Wavedashing isn't coming back so no problems there.

You get good at anything that requires manual dexterity and you run the risk of pushing yourself too far. Still, taking out depth isn't the answer when you can simplify it with less inputs. I can see this happening to Starcraft players as well, but that is because they have a lot more options available to them thanks to it being an RTS.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I think the only problem with the health argument is that nobody is asking the game to be super technical. Low landing lag is low landing lag regardless of input. It isn't the game's fault that it causes hand problems, that is due to the players pushing the upper limits of the game very hard. That is no excuse for TAKING OUT mechanics compared to Simplifying them so that those at the top don't ruin their hands mastering the game and those at the bottom can learn to be better players if they so choose.

Inb4 attacked by some person saying essentially, "I hate people who play melee and don't want you to enjoy smash 4" comment. Lots of melee fans agree that low landing lag across the board would be better for your hands. And Wavedashing isn't coming back so no problems there.

You get good at anything that requires manual dexterity and you run the risk of pushing yourself too far. Still, taking out depth isn't the answer when you can simplify it with less inputs. I can see this happening to Starcraft players as well, but that is because they have a lot more options available to them thanks to it being an RTS.
You are correct. I admit that the topic and my post were off-topic, but I was just so excited to see the topic brought up that I jumped on the opportunity.

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
Another thing about Smash 4's mechanics is that landing lag from an air dodge. That's important. Even if you can air-dodge out of tumble, you could find yourself in an equally bad situation in which you escape their combo by air-dodging, only to be unable to escape anyway due to landing lag. That is, even if you get out of hitstun, you're still caught in an inescapable sequence of attacks.

That said, I would like to see just a little more hitstun in this game. Not Melee levels of hitstun, but just a little more than is currently there.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 245254

Landing lag (present or not) is not relevant to depth. It's a design preference (mostly) of Melee purists. This extends to l-cancelling, as there is a countless profundity of reasons it is a useless mechanic that creates no depth.

I'd say that the removal of l-cancels and Wave dashing have improved the physical situation by a size-able amount.

Not killing your players hands in order to be top players could never be considered a bad design decision. This isn't like football where physical ramifications are part of the ruleset, these games can be designed specifically to not be harmful, and thankfully Sakurai came to that realization (at the cost of incurring it on himself to develop it). Sakurai is essentially taking the fall for everyone.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Landing lag (present or not) is not relevant to depth. It's a design preference (mostly) of Melee purists. This extends to l-cancelling, as there is a countless profundity of reasons it is a useless mechanic that creates no depth.

I'd say that the removal of l-cancels and Wave dashing have improved the physical situation by a size-able amount.

Not killing your players hands in order to be top players could never be considered a bad design decision. This isn't like football where physical ramifications are part of the ruleset, these games can be designed specifically to not be harmful, and thankfully Sakurai came to that realization (at the cost of incurring it on himself to develop it). Sakurai is essentially taking the fall for everyone.
Yes, of course. I brought up M2K, but how could I forget Sakurai himself, who has had severe hand and arm injury throughout this whole process.

Hentai_Kittie

Smash Cadet
Yes, of course. I brought up M2K, but how could I forget Sakurai himself, who has had severe hand and arm injury throughout this whole process.
Not to derail even further, but he got that injury during melee's development didn't he?

Black Mantis

Smash Hero
You act as though Melee was any different, and there were no drawbacks or cons or checks and balances in that game because the game had less lag on aerials.
L-Canceling is bad (in melee) because there is no risk associated with it. In TVC you can baroque. but you give up red health. In MVC 3 you can x factor cancel,b, but give up x factor. What do you give up that's serious when you l-cancel.? There's never a situation in which you don't want to l-cancel. In MVC 3 you have to think carefully and make a serious risk when you give up x-factor. The same does not apply to l canceling. There should just be no landing lag at all, give l-canceling risky use (lowers your knockback when doing it), or limit the number of l-cancels per match.

D

Deleted member 245254

Not to derail even further, but he got that injury during melee's development didn't he?
Yup! It was primarily developed on account of Melee's development cycle.

It's not just M2K and Sakurai as prime examples either.

In an exclusive interview with Mango at EVO2014 Mango noted severe hand issues that he had developed, that during matches he just "yolos". He cites his hands maybe being too big for the GC control as being a possible reason, but in essence his experience is unfortunately not unique.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
If it played anything like melee it would be a good game and not borderline dead.
It doesn't play anything like Melee, that's why it's a good game, and last time I checked Brawl's still hot at parties and friendly Smashfests, of course you will be biased and only talk about the competitive community.

pizzapie7

Smash Ace
You are correct in that Melee tests you similarly, however Sakurai has already made this quite clear, but Melee tests you in the wrong way.

It tests your technical reflexes to a degree he was unhappy with. I think it's be silly to disagree that Melee at a high level is undeniably technical, and that was the pure opposite of his intention.

The way Smash 4 is choosing to allow you to illustrate your skill is more in line with the dynamic Sakurai was aiming for originally. It's not an inferior design, it's admittedly different though. That's the magic of the Smash franchise though, you are always free to competitively play past iterations. Melee clearly isn't going to just fall off the map, so it's in everyone's interest for you to keep playing it, if you are so inclined to be unable to move on from Melee's eventual and somewhat unintended design quirks.

There are all kinds of reasons why the direction of Smash 4 is the most logical, you just have to take all things in to consideration, not just the things you want.
That's fair, I suppose. But I don't see how any of that has to do with what I've said. They've already removed the biggest causes of how technical Melee was, l-canceling and other techs, the gravity was much more forgiving, the entire pace of the game is slower. I'm not defending l-canceling as a mechanic either and I never have. Lowering aerial landing lag wouldn't really make the game more difficult, certainly not to the point of it being physically harmful.

L-Canceling is bad (in melee) because there is no risk associated with it. In TVC you can baroque. but you give up red health. In MVC 3 you can x factor cancel,b, but give up x factor. What do you give up that's serious when you l-cancel.? There's never a situation in which you don't want to l-cancel. In MVC 3 you have to think carefully and make a serious risk when you give up x-factor. The same does not apply to l canceling. There should just be no landing lag at all, give l-canceling risky use (lowers your knockback when doing it), or limit the number of l-cancels per match.
There's you hitting your opponent's shield and messing up your timing, for one I guess. I'm not sure how this is really relevant. L-cancelling as a mechanic is fundamentally flawed but there is nothing wrong with what it was designed to do. You don't l-cancel for a risk/reward situation, you l-cancel to hopefully lower the risk and increase the reward in a situation you're already in.

@ D-idara D-idara Someone talking about the competitive scene for a competitive game on a competitive website? How terrible!

Last edited:

Crimnonin

Smash Cadet
NNID
Gettinjiggy
3DS FC
0920-0728-2546
I haven't read a lot of this thread, but I'll add my own two cents.

From what I have seen in the demo, some characters have attacks that have little to no landing lag at all. And then there are other attacks that seem to have far too much landing lag. I think the problem here is that there is too much of a discrepancy between different attacks when it comes to aerial lag.

Many people on these forums support the idea that different moves should be balanced based on their landing lag. More powerful attacks should have a bit of risk tied to them. I can agree with that. However, I think that when there is such a huge gap between different moves, the ones with practically no landing lag will be heavily spammed. Attacks that have unreasonable amounts of landing lag will probably never be used.

I play as Captain Falcon in Melee. I love the knee. Everybody loves the knee. But it's not his only attack. He has others that are really good as well. With such a huge variance in the lag of different attacks, spamming fast attacks will be encouraged.

So here's what I would do, if I could experiment with the formula: Reduce landing lag overall, and let there be a small, but noticeable difference in landing lag between fast and strong attacks. I should be encouraged to use the strong attacks when the situation permits. Most importantly, I shouldn't be afraid to use those attacks in the first place. However, if used in the wrong scenario, these strong attacks can be punished if the opponent reacts quickly enough. That way we have a fast, combo oriented game, yet people still have to think about their methods of attack.

Hopefully this sounds reasonable.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
As long as my Kirby and Ness aren't nerfed to hell like they were in Melee, I'm happy. Kirby felt so sluggish in Melee and so out of place.

As for the landing lag in Smash, honestly, I only see Marth creating such an outcry with his landing lag after using f-air more than anything else.

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper

From what I have seen in the demo, some characters have attacks that have little to no landing lag at all. And then there are other attacks that seem to have far too much landing lag. I think the problem here is that there is too much of a discrepancy between different attacks when it comes to aerial lag.

Many people on these forums support the idea that different moves should be balanced based on their landing lag. More powerful attacks should have a bit of risk tied to them. I can agree with that. However, I think that when there is such a huge gap between different moves, the ones with practically no landing lag will be heavily spammed. Attacks that have unreasonable amounts of landing lag will probably never be used.

I play as Captain Falcon in Melee. I love the knee. Everybody loves the knee. But it's not his only attack. He has others that are really good as well. With such a huge variance in the lag of different attacks, spamming fast attacks will be encouraged.

So here's what I would do, if I could experiment with the formula: Reduce landing lag overall, and let there be a small, but noticeable difference in landing lag between fast and strong attacks. I should be encouraged to use the strong attacks when the situation permits. Most importantly, I shouldn't be afraid to use those attacks in the first place. However, if used in the wrong scenario, these strong attacks can be punished if the opponent reacts quickly enough. That way we have a fast, combo oriented game, yet people still have to think about their methods of attack.

i doubt they will never get used, they just won't be used as an approach or during a short hop, which seems fine if they are kill moves

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Not for characters like Little Mac :shades:

Osric

Smash Rookie
Why is this even a discussion about l-cancelling now?

L-cancelling is lame. It only serves to artificially raise the skill floor while doing nothing to the skill ceiling. I don't think anyone wants l-cancelling back they just want the effect of l-cancelling back on all moves. No harder for entry-level players and high skill players get to throw out more moves in more creative ways so that approaches from the air aren't entirely telegraphed. People are forgetting how bad it was to approach from the air in brawl on almost every character because shield-grab beat everything that wasn't a cross up and you were stuck in lag even if you jumped and did nothing.

Also low landing lag doesn't remove the viability of the ground game at all. It just gives more approach options for all characters, ESPECIALLY those with bad ground games. Options = diversity.

Black Mantis

Smash Hero
There's you hitting your opponent's shield and messing up your timing, for one I guess. I'm not sure how this is really relevant. L-cancelling as a mechanic is fundamentally flawed but there is nothing wrong with what it was designed to do. You don't l-cancel for a risk/reward situation, you l-cancel to hopefully lower the risk and increase the reward in a situation you're already in.
Hitting your opponents shied is a guess and not guaranteed. At least you can admit L-Canceling is flawed. Look at this from this perspective though: Imagine in MVC 3 you could x factor cancel moves without giving up x factor? There would be no risk associated with any move and no reason not to x factor cancel.

D

Deleted member 245254

Logically you are correct but you are pretty much neglecting a pretty important mechanic in Smash 4...stale move negation.

Spamming the same move over and over is irresponsible as a combat strategy regardless of landing lag, all the while promoting diversity in tactics in order to ensure there is a variety of play. Your problems are generally addressed by other mechanics.

On the subject of aerial gameplay in Smash games, how often do you see jab used in tournament-level Melee? That's right, just about never. How many jabs have we seen in Smash 4 so far? Quite a few from everyone not named Rosalina. To me, the jab should be the bread and butter of damage-dealing from neutral on the ground. And in Smash 4, I've seen it used as such to great effect. On top of that, I've seen combos both into and out of jab. I saw a gameplay video of Bowser accidentally landing on the third hit of Mario's jab. He paid for this mistake by being meteor smashed off the side of Battlefield in what looked to be an inescapable combo. The hitstun from that third jab did not appear to have worn off as Mario short hopped and FAired Bowser for what looked like a pretty early KO, definitely below 100%.

So what I'm trying to say is, ground combat is not something to be afraid of in Smash, and it's nice to see the jab combo actually be used for both poking and combos in Smash 4. It's also nice to see that some characters actually want to go fully airborne for air combos well above ground level, rather than simply performing single-jump or short hop-fast fall aerials all day.
No jabs in high level Melee? What in the world are you talking about? Melee has jab canceling, and characters like Fox, Falco, and especially Sheik, with hand down the best jab in the game, can use it to set up anything. Waveshine into jab with Fox leads into thunders combo, Jabs with Falcon lead to a free grab that can go into a knee combo. Jab resets in Melee are some of the most common forms of punishing a missed tech that can lead to a free whatever at low percents. Being able to do things like SH Bair>wavedash/land>jab>grab are very common and practical with everyone. The Top Yoshi player aMSa is infamous for his jab set ups that lead into combo strings. Have you even watched a match of Competitive Melee?

Why do people who know little speak so much? Especially when the aspect that this game is focusing on (ground game) has already been usurped by it's predecessor.

Last edited:

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
No jabs in high level Melee? What in the world are you talking about? Melee has jab canceling, and characters like Fox, Falco, and especially Sheik, with hand down the best jab in the game, can use it to set up anything. Waveshine into jab with Fox leads into thunders combo, Jabs with Falcob lead to a free grab that can go into a knee combo. Jab resets in Melee are some of the most common forms of punishing a missed tech that can lead to a free whatever at low percents. Being able to do things like SH Bair>wavedash/land>jab>grab are very common and practical with everyone. The Top Yoshi player aMSa is infamous for his jab set ups that lead into combo strings. Have you even watched a match of Competitive Melee?

Why do people who know little speak so much? Especially when the aspect that this game is focusing on (ground game) already been usurped by it's predecessor.
Sorry, I was more referring to full jab combos over single jabs. I realized soon after I posted it that my previous statement was incorrect. Like in many fighting games, the single jab sees a lot of use. But the thing that makes Smash somewhat unique — that full jab combo — doesn't see much use at all. Unless you're Brawl Ike, who charges quickdraw so that he just barely doesn't reach you and then goes for the jab combo. Or Brawl Lucario, who uses a jab x2 > crouch-cancel > jab x2 loop on an airborne foe to force them to waste their midair jump because with perfect timing at the right percents (percents on Lucario, that is) it is otherwise inescapable.

Hitting your opponents shied is a guess and not guaranteed. At least you can admit L-Canceling is flawed. Look at this from this perspective though: Imagine in MVC 3 you could x factor cancel moves without giving up x factor? There would be no risk associated with any move and no reason not to x factor cancel.
Cutting an attacks lag by half is in no way equivalent to being able to interrupt and cancel out the entire attack animation.

Top Bottom