• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ireland & Northern Ireland Thread!

mariosblade

Smash Rookie
NNID
mariosblade
3DS FC
2578-4241-5603
You can just show up on the day and enter no bother, but you can sign-up before hand if you want. It helps the TOs.
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1K3hms6ww57k1g5CNI9KsQ4I693rsufVqY6Y43TlYVKo/viewform?c=0&w=1

Also, you should join the facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SmashIreland/
It's much easier to keep up with events and what not as it's all posted there first.

Just wondering man, what part of Ireland are you from? There's 1 or 2 weekly meet-ups that you may be able to attend depending on where you live.
Yeah i've already joined the facebook page, and ill do the sign-up now
I live in Wicklow, but I have someone who can drive me pretty much anywhere in Ireland, and i'd love to meet other people who play sm4sh in ireland :o

CollyD13

Smash Rookie
NNID
CollyBoi
3DS FC
0001-4574-0053
Yeah i've already joined the facebook page, and ill do the sign-up now
I live in Wicklow, but I have someone who can drive me pretty much anywhere in Ireland, and i'd love to meet other people who play sm4sh in ireland :o
Ah nice, having a driver is pretty great lol
Seeing as you live in Wicklow, you could probably make it down to the weeklies we have in the XGC in Dublin. We've meet-ups on Wednesdays and Saturdays for both Sm4sh and Melee, and we run brackets on the Saturday meet-ups. There's players of different skill levels going, so if you're new to the game you won't be out of your depth or anything, and will be able to play against some decent players.
Any weekend there's no other tournaments going on there should be a meetup. A post with the details usually goes up the night before the meetup, but if want any more details just hit me up with a message or ask on the FB page.

mariosblade

Smash Rookie
NNID
mariosblade
3DS FC
2578-4241-5603
Ah nice, having a driver is pretty great lol
Seeing as you live in Wicklow, you could probably make it down to the weeklies we have in the XGC in Dublin. We've meet-ups on Wednesdays and Saturdays for both Sm4sh and Melee, and we run brackets on the Saturday meet-ups. There's players of different skill levels going, so if you're new to the game you won't be out of your depth or anything, and will be able to play against some decent players.
Any weekend there's no other tournaments going on there should be a meetup. A post with the details usually goes up the night before the meetup, but if want any more details just hit me up with a message or ask on the FB page.
I'm fairly new to tournaments, but not sm4sh lol, but i'm always looking for a new challenge
I'll definitly hit you up on the weeklies after the tournament, i'm practically stuck to my house until that point lol
Thanks again :D

yoshifan 34567

Smash Cadet
NNID
yoshifan34567
3DS FC
5370-1630-5452

DialNouns

Smash Cadet
NNID
NiallDownes95
Results from Sm4sh at RTCT Galway.
Super fun event, great venue and everyone played well.
Shoutout to Galway for failing to defend their homeland.

1st - MiKenyan :4megaman:
2nd - DialNouns :4mario::4falcon:
3rd - KingKrabz :4feroy::4corrin:
4th - Wintropy :4corrinf::4pit:/:4darkpit:
5th - Mossy64 :4luigi:
5th - Daron :4link::4bowser:
7th - oneshotfinch :4cloud:
7th - Sean :4yoshi::4gaw:

Last edited:

loftybones

Smash Rookie
NNID
Ribcage
hey guys! apologies in advance if this isn't the right place to post this sort of thing. I'm coming back home to NI from uni soon and I'm really itching to finally start putting in some decent smash practice, I've been watching for so long I feel like it's about time I gave it a go myself hahah. I was just wondering if I could ask about local novice-friendly meetups or possibly even just finding a regular practice buddy or two? for what it's worth, I live in Portadown, NI + I can travel to Belfast/surrounding areas fairly easily by train and stuff. thanks!

Diamond Zero

Smash Cadet
hey guys! apologies in advance if this isn't the right place to post this sort of thing. I'm coming back home to NI from uni soon and I'm really itching to finally start putting in some decent smash practice, I've been watching for so long I feel like it's about time I gave it a go myself hahah. I was just wondering if I could ask about local novice-friendly meetups or possibly even just finding a regular practice buddy or two? for what it's worth, I live in Portadown, NI + I can travel to Belfast/surrounding areas fairly easily by train and stuff. thanks!
You'll be happy to hear that our scene is really super active and there's a ton of people who play in Belfast. Sometimes friendlies are played at the QUB on Tuesdays and Saturdays. What game are you looking to get into? Melee? Smash 4? PM? I live in Newry so if you're looking a practice partner, shoot me a message. If you're home any time soon, the next Smash event will be hosted in Dublin at the Xtreme gaming centre on Lower Liffy Street this Saturday. It's Melee only with both singles and doubles I believe. Event page for that can be found here. After that, the next event is in Newry by myself and my team (shameless plug) on the 11th June which will have Melee and Smash 4.

Edit: if you're on facebook join the Smash Ireland + Smash NI pages. We also have a discord chat for Smash Ireland https://discord.gg/0n3AOBHRN7E5Jd1x.

Last edited:

yoshifan 34567

Smash Cadet
NNID
yoshifan34567
3DS FC
5370-1630-5452
You'll be happy to hear that our scene is really super active and there's a ton of people who play in Belfast. Sometimes friendlies are played at the QUB on Tuesdays and Saturdays. What game are you looking to get into? Melee? Smash 4? PM? I live in Newry so if you're looking a practice partner, shoot me a message. If you're home any time soon, the next Smash event will be hosted in Dublin at the Xtreme gaming centre on Lower Liffy Street this Saturday. It's Melee only with both singles and doubles I believe. Event page for that can be found here. After that, the next event is in Newry by myself and my team (shameless plug) on the 11th June which will have Melee and Smash 4.

Edit: if you're on facebook join the Smash Ireland + Smash NI pages. We also have a discord chat for Smash Ireland https://discord.gg/0n3AOBHRN7E5Jd1x.
Is there not weekly tournaments in Xtreme Gaming Centre?

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Is there not weekly tournaments in Xtreme Gaming Centre?
There is, but they're at dublin, loftbones is lives in the north

Weeklies at XGC happen every wednesday and saturday for sm4sh/melee tho, with wednesdays usually starting around 6 and saturdays start much earlier, at 12-1 o'clock. A bracket for sm4sh is always ran on saturdays starting 3-4 and they all count towards placements in the Leinster power rankings!!

yoshifan 34567

Smash Cadet
NNID
yoshifan34567
3DS FC
5370-1630-5452
https://www.facebook.com/events/450779401758986/
Breaking Boundaries 4 is happening! Featuring Melee Singles, Project M Singles, Smash 4 Singles and Smash 4 Doubles up in beautiful, sunny Fermanagh.

The last events have been really great and (I'm told) worth the travel so I hope to see lots of you at this one! =D
Project M Singles

Smash 4 Doubles

Why would I not go?

yoshifan 34567

Smash Cadet
NNID
yoshifan34567
3DS FC
5370-1630-5452
At the moment, I'm planning on bring a modded Wii U setup to Newry V but I'm not sure what to bring.

Last month I got the Homebrew Channel on my Wii U and got a mod for Melee called "Silly Melee" onto my Wii U (it is a mod created by Alpharad and MagicScrumpy and the mod makes every character Meta Knight from Brawl) and I am planning on bringing to Newry V for Melee friendlies but at the same time, I'm trying to get custom textures and stages for SSB4 working on my Wii U and as long as my Wii U isn't a **** to me within the next 3 days then maybe I can get mods loaded. If I can get mods loaded, then what should I bring? Smash 4 Mods or Silly Melee?

Also Diamond Zero Diamond Zero Will Newry V be streamed on the Guard Breaker twitch account?

yoshifan 34567

Smash Cadet
NNID
yoshifan34567
3DS FC
5370-1630-5452
Is there going to be any tournaments in Warrenpoint anytime soon? Just asking

Diamond Zero

Smash Cadet
Is there going to be any tournaments in Warrenpoint anytime soon? Just asking
Unfortunately not. Not unless I host a Major in the point but that'd require others to travel a little further. Having been born and raised in Warrenpoint, I know as much as anyone that there isn't a scene to build around. I might try and get locals going in Newry at some point. Very unlikely as I know Aran, Evi and yourself are the only ones who remotely live nearby.

SMITHLER21

Smash Cadet
NNID
SMITHLER21
3DS FC
4897-6401-7861
Oh yeah I forgot no one posted the results for Newry 5

Melee Singles: http://guardbreaker.challonge.com/xmc0wbgd
1. Craft :falcomelee:
2. EOE :peachmelee:
3. Lultam :marthmelee:
4. King of Legend :marthmelee:
5. Skarfelt :falcomelee:
=. GB | Evi :falcomelee:
7. Buggz :marthmelee:
=. Adam Aplz :luigimelee:
9. Freddo | MagiMagi :falcomelee: :foxmelee:
=. Redslasher :falcomelee:
=. Dan :foxmelee:
=. SMET :marthmelee:
13. Ami :samusmelee: :sheikmelee:
=. Exile :falcomelee:
=. Shiara :foxmelee: :marthmelee:
=. Sebastian Photon :roymelee:
17. Yoshifan 34567 :falconmelee: :ganondorfmelee:
=. TokHaar :mariomelee:

Melee Doubles: http://guardbreaker.challonge.com/aueyx71z
1. Craft + Adam Aplz ( :falcomelee: + :luigimelee: )
2. Lultam + King of Legend ( :marthmelee: + :marthmelee: )
3. Buggz + Ami ( :marthmelee: + :samusmelee: )
4. Shiara + Exile ( :foxmelee: + :falcomelee: )

Smash 4 Singles: http://guardbreaker.challonge.com/fci7lqbl

1. Skarfelt :4fox:
2. Sp00n :4sheik: :4marth:
3. Freddo | MagiMagi :4mewtwo:
4. Kerbykong :4pikachu:
5. Girl :4dedede: :4tlink:
=. Redslasher :4ryu:
7. Dan :4kirby:
=. Adam Aplz :4pit:
9. Mazerunner :4ryu:
=. An2 :4sonic: :4falco: :4samus: :4metaknight:
=. OldManG :4falcon:
=. EOE :4peach:

Smash 4 Doubles: http://guardbreaker.challonge.com/fgnfmj3o

1. Mazerunner + Scorch trials ( :4ryu: + :4mario: )
2. Skarfelt + EOE ( :4fox: + :4peach: )
3. Girl + Kerbykong ( :4tlink: + :4pikachu: )
4. OldManG + MagiMagi ( :4falcon: + :4mewtwo: )
5. Dan + zone ( :4kirby: + :4link: )
=. AN2 + KiD ( :4sonic: + :4greninja: :4marth: :4pacman: )
7. Diamond Zero + Crimson Lineage ( :4cloud: + :4cloud: )
=. Smoke406 + Ducky ( :4ryu: + :4cloud: )
9. SMET + Roydiculous ( :4ganondorf: + :4myfriends: )
=. Yoshifan 34567 + Aran ( :4sonic: + :4cloud: )
=. MrLove2shoot + TokHaar ( :4myfriends: + :4mario: )

Last edited:

Skarfelt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Skarfelt
On the 9th of July, the fourth final(?) Breaking Boundaries event is happening! It's in an amazing venue with Melee, PM AND Smash 4 to be played and competed in. Housing is available for those travelling far. It's been really great the last three times so I hope to see more people there on Saturday! Sign up below:

Event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/450779401758986

yoshifan 34567

Smash Cadet
NNID
yoshifan34567
3DS FC
5370-1630-5452
Unfortunately not. Not unless I host a Major in the point but that'd require others to travel a little further. Having been born and raised in Warrenpoint, I know as much as anyone that there isn't a scene to build around. I might try and get locals going in Newry at some point. Very unlikely as I know Aran, Evi and yourself are the only ones who remotely live nearby.
It's OK. I'd prefer Weeklies in Newry rather than bi-monthly's in Warrenpoint.

yoshifan 34567

Smash Cadet
NNID
yoshifan34567
3DS FC
5370-1630-5452
On the 9th of July, the fourth final(?) Breaking Boundaries event is happening! It's in an amazing venue with Melee, PM AND Smash 4 to be played and competed in. Housing is available for those travelling far. It's been really great the last three times so I hope to see more people there on Saturday! Sign up below:

Event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/450779401758986
plz no final breaking boundaries. I cri :(

Skarfelt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Skarfelt
Breaking Boundaries 4 results!

MELEE
http://challonge.com/BB4M
1. Guard Breaker | Mint (Fox)
2. maXy (Jigglypuff)
3. Way (Fox)
4. EOE (Peach)
5. Craft (Falco)
5. Leck (Falco)
7. Herrok (Falcon)
7. Adam Aplz (Luigi)
9. Lultam (Marth)
9. toadee (Samus)
9. MagiMagi (Fox)
9. Haunter (Falco)
13. Fraudfelt (Falco)
13. Ghoul (Peach)
13. Redslasher (Fox)
13. Captain Hawaiian (Falcon)

PROJECT M (error in bracket resulted in messed up seeding)
http://challonge.com/BB4PMF
1. Guard Breaker | Mint (Fox/Snake)
2. Way (Wario)
3. maXy (Zelda)
4. Herrok (DK)
5. Craft (Squirtle)
5. EOE (Peach)
7. Vaelin Al Sorna [Sp00n] (Roy)
7. MagiMagi (Mewtwo/Wolf)
9. toadee (DK)
9. Adam Aplz (Kirby)
9. Redslasher (Roy)
9. Amaterixen (Lucas)
13. Leck (Wolf)
13. Captain Haiwaiian (Snake/Ike)
13. SebastianPhoton (Roy)
13. Dan (Fox)

SMASH 4 SINGLES
http://challonge.com/BB4S4S
1. MagiMagi (Mewtwo)
2. Guard Breaker | Mint (Rosalina & Luma/DK)
3. Skarfelt (Fox)
4. EOE (Peach)
5. Vaelin Al Sorna [Sp00n] (Sheik/Mario/Luigi)
5. maXy (Zelda)
7. Way (Yoshi)
7. AN2 (Sonic/Meta Knight)
9. Kerbykong (Pikachu)
9. The Girl [D13] (Rosalina/Dedede)
9. Oish (Sheik)
9. Redslasher (Ryu/Cloud)
13. Amaterixen (Shulk)
13. toadee (DK)
13. Zone (Link)
13. Skippyrook (ROB)

SMASH 4 DOUBLES
http://challonge.com/BB4S4D
1. maXy & EOE (Zelda + Peach)
2. MINT & Way (Rosalina & Luma + Meta Knight)
3. MagiMagi & toadee (Mewtwo + DK)
4. Kerbykong & The Girl [D13] (Pikachu + Rosalina)
5. Zone & Dan (Link + Kirby)
5. Amaterixen & Skippyrook (Shulk + ROB)
7. MattieMooMoo & WILD (Olimar + ???)

Interesting stuff about results:
-This is the fifth time that Mint, Way and maXy have been top 3 of PM
-The Grand Finalists of Smash 4 Doubles were nearly the top 4 of both PM and Melee as well - Herrok beating EOE in Loser's Quarters stopped this
-This is the first time MINT & Way have ever lost a Doubles set/tourney (not counting double Wario at BB1)
-This is the first tournament MINT has dropped in any game since Smash the Pale 2 in February, including PM tournaments where he played all Random
-Mewtwo is broken

PKMX

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, 16 year old Smasher from Cork here trying to play more competitive Smash. (don't boo and hiss, I'm not your typical young button masher) Just wondering how often tournaments usually take place in Cork (Rebellion at The Roundy etc.), and if there's any chance that there could be more of a scene in Cork? Unfortunately, I couldn't participate in the most recent Cork tournament on the 2nd of July but I hope to go to the next one, whenever it takes place. I'd love for more tournaments to be organised in Cork because there's not much of a scene and most of the tournaments and weekly casuals are just too far away from where I'm based. Even weekly, bi-monthly or monthly casuals somewhere around Cork would be great. I just want to get more practice on good players as I can't train on For Glory due to my abysmal 0.6mbps download speed and 0.1mbps upload speed. And I don't have friends who play Smash as seriously as I do so I'm relegated to Training Mode and fighting against CPU's (I have lots of Level 50 amiibo too, but their attacks deal twice as much damage than what a normal player could do, so they're not optimal for training.)

I am good at Smash and I believe that I'm ready to participate in tournaments, but I'm still a kid with not much money, so I can't travel much farther than Cork, and I definitely wouldn't be able to go to the big ones like Celtic Throwdown. (as much as I wish I could) If you're wondering if I've got any tournament results, I attended one at Insomnia Ireland in Killarney about a month ago where I came second, but I wouldn't think too much of it as it mostly consisted of <12 year old kids who didn't even know the basic controls, let alone know how to tech etc. If I ever can, I'll try to travel for tournaments (though it's unlikely I'll be able to) because I want to get my name on the Irish Power Rankings before I turn 18. Any replies would be appreciated!

Lultam

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, 16 year old Smasher from Cork here trying to play more competitive Smash. (don't boo and hiss, I'm not your typical young button masher) Just wondering how often tournaments usually take place in Cork (Rebellion at The Roundy etc.), and if there's any chance that there could be more of a scene in Cork? Unfortunately, I couldn't participate in the most recent Cork tournament on the 2nd of July but I hope to go to the next one, whenever it takes place. I'd love for more tournaments to be organised in Cork because there's not much of a scene and most of the tournaments and weekly casuals are just too far away from where I'm based. Even weekly, bi-monthly or monthly casuals somewhere around Cork would be great. I just want to get more practice on good players as I can't train on For Glory due to my abysmal 0.6mbps download speed and 0.1mbps upload speed. And I don't have friends who play Smash as seriously as I do so I'm relegated to Training Mode and fighting against CPU's (I have lots of Level 50 amiibo too, but their attacks deal twice as much damage than what a normal player could do, so they're not optimal for training.)

I am good at Smash and I believe that I'm ready to participate in tournaments, but I'm still a kid with not much money, so I can't travel much farther than Cork, and I definitely wouldn't be able to go to the big ones like Celtic Throwdown. (as much as I wish I could) If you're wondering if I've got any tournament results, I attended one at Insomnia Ireland in Killarney about a month ago where I came second, but I wouldn't think too much of it as it mostly consisted of <12 year old kids who didn't even know the basic controls, let alone know how to tech etc. If I ever can, I'll try to travel for tournaments (though it's unlikely I'll be able to) because I want to get my name on the Irish Power Rankings before I turn 18. Any replies would be appreciated!
I don't know much about the Cork scene or anyone down there tbh, they don't really attend anything outside of Cork

PKMX

Smash Rookie
I don't know much about the Cork scene or anyone down there tbh, they don't really attend anything outside of Cork
Yeah, I was looking at the brackets for the tournament on the 2nd of July, and I didn't see the names of any top players, so I guess that there's not even one top 10 Irish player that lives in or even close to Cork? I've been wondering for a while if I, along with some others that are older and are more familiar and experienced with Smash could organise more tournaments in Cork, but I know that there's probably a lot more work that goes into TO'ing that meets the eye, so it may not be plausible. I did make a ruleset in Google Docs that I think would be good for a tournament anyway just in case.

Cork's not the only county with a small Smash scene though - lots of counties outside of Northern Ireland and Dublin don't have much going on, and I think it would be great if any Smashers who want more of a scene in their area could organise tournaments themselves. Competitive Smash players all around Ireland could work together to build the Irish Smash scene which is currently growing a lot. If more tournaments were organised, the Irish Smash scene would grow at an even faster rate and really put us on the map and more well known to larger countries with larger scenes, like the US.

If it really started building up, we could have Power Rankings for every province, or even per county if we really began to grow (and still keep the overall Ireland Power Rankings of course) It would be great for more people to host tournaments in counties that don't have much of a Smash scene, but really want one. I sound very ambitious and I know that organising tournaments is a lot of work (and I have the utmost of respect for the people that organise them and generally just help out in growing the Irish Smash scene e.g. Jonty).

But now that our community is growing faster (Smash Ireland has over 800 members!), I think we could take it to the next level if we worked hard together, and I personally really want to be a part of what becomes of competitive Smash in Ireland - I love the game, I love the country, and I love the community! (Joining Smash Ireland about a year ago was one of my best decisions, even though I don't post there because I'd look like some random kid appearing out of nowhere who can't tech). We have lots of potential as a community, and I believe that the Irish Smash community is going nowhere but up, and we could have more tournaments around the country to make it even better than it already is!

yoshifan 34567

Smash Cadet
NNID
yoshifan34567
3DS FC
5370-1630-5452

Yeah, I was looking at the brackets for the tournament on the 2nd of July, and I didn't see the names of any top players, so I guess that there's not even one top 10 Irish player that lives in or even close to Cork? I've been wondering for a while if I, along with some others that are older and are more familiar and experienced with Smash could organise more tournaments in Cork, but I know that there's probably a lot more work that goes into TO'ing that meets the eye, so it may not be plausible. I did make a ruleset in Google Docs that I think would be good for a tournament anyway just in case.

Cork's not the only county with a small Smash scene though - lots of counties outside of Northern Ireland and Dublin don't have much going on, and I think it would be great if any Smashers who want more of a scene in their area could organise tournaments themselves. Competitive Smash players all around Ireland could work together to build the Irish Smash scene which is currently growing a lot. If more tournaments were organised, the Irish Smash scene would grow at an even faster rate and really put us on the map and more well known to larger countries with larger scenes, like the US.

If it really started building up, we could have Power Rankings for every province, or even per county if we really began to grow (and still keep the overall Ireland Power Rankings of course) It would be great for more people to host tournaments in counties that don't have much of a Smash scene, but really want one. I sound very ambitious and I know that organising tournaments is a lot of work (and I have the utmost of respect for the people that organise them and generally just help out in growing the Irish Smash scene e.g. Jonty).

But now that our community is growing faster (Smash Ireland has over 800 members!), I think we could take it to the next level if we worked hard together, and I personally really want to be a part of what becomes of competitive Smash in Ireland - I love the game, I love the country, and I love the community! (Joining Smash Ireland about a year ago was one of my best decisions, even though I don't post there because I'd look like some random kid appearing out of nowhere who can't tech). We have lots of potential as a community, and I believe that the Irish Smash community is going nowhere but up, and we could have more tournaments around the country to make it even better than it already is!
I second this.

PKMX

Smash Rookie
I second this.
Thanks man! I'd really like to see tournaments in more areas of Ireland so we can see some brand new talent shine through and just build the Irish Smash community as a whole now that we're growing and having more tournaments. We've got some amazing players (the current top 5 are basically the 5 Irish Gods right now), and I think that we could have an even better variety of players by spreading competitive Smash all around the country. It's ambitious, but we can certainly go for it!

RudaiSimpli

Smash Rookie

Speak to Snook/DialNouns if you have the chance, Snook is the best player in Cork right now and DialNouns runs stuff in Limerick that some Cork players sometimes go to. Limerick is probably your best chance for stuff if you can't travel much, we have a good few players and host weeklies during the university year, as well as bigger events every so often.

PKMX

Smash Rookie
Speak to Snook/DialNouns if you have the chance, Snook is the best player in Cork right now and DialNouns runs stuff in Limerick that some Cork players sometimes go to. Limerick is probably your best chance for stuff if you can't travel much, we have a good few players and host weeklies during the university year, as well as bigger events every so often.
I definitely will get in contact with them if I can - judging by the Cork 2nd of July tournament, Snook is an amazing player so I'd love to get in a few games against him if there's another tournament in Cork happening in the coming months. Limerick would be manageable enough for me to get to, but I wouldn't be able to go there very often. I'd love to get in a few weeklies though - Limerick isn't really that far away from me, so I may get some chances to put in some work there. Thanks for the advice man! I really appreciate the help because every bit of info I get helps me to get into the Irish competitive Smash scene.

Lultam

Smash Cadet

TOing on the day isn't super hard IMO, most of the work is the prep for the logistics beforehand. If you're set up with a good structure for the day then you'll have less work for yourself when the tourney happens. If you're interested in TOing you should definitely check Juggleguy's guide out: http://smashboards.com/threads/how-do-i-manage-time-for-a-double-elimination-bracket-toing.360606/

I know Smash Ireland has like 800 members but I feel like it's only the minority that actually attend tournies. The biggest turnout at a non con event was iirc 46 for Smash 4 at StP 1 or 2, can't remember which, and something like 35-40 for Melee at Newry 3 or 4. That said there's definitely an interest for more smash down south, I know the Limerick guys have had some struggles getting events together in the past but there's quite a few of them so I'm sure there's more hidden players around.

You might have trouble finding venues yourself given that you're quite young, not that I doubt how dedicated you would be, more that venue owners mightn't trust you unfortunately :/ You should see if you can find someone in their 20s that would be willing to help you out.

Last edited:

PKMX

Smash Rookie
TOing on the day isn't super hard IMO, most of the work is the prep for the logistics beforehand. If you're set up with a good structure for the day then you'll have less work for yourself when the tourney happens. If you're interested in TOing you should definitely check Juggleguy's guide out: http://smashboards.com/threads/how-do-i-manage-time-for-a-double-elimination-bracket-toing.360606/

I know Smash Ireland has like 800 members but I feel like it's only the minority that actually attend tournies. The biggest turnout at a non con event was iirc 46 for Smash 4 at StP 1 or 2, can't remember which, and something like 35-40 for Melee at Newry 3 or 4. That said there's definitely an interest for more smash down south, I know the Limerick guys have had some struggles getting events together in the past but there's quite a few of them so I'm sure there's more hidden players around.

You might have trouble finding venues yourself given that you're quite young, not that I doubt how dedicated you would be, more that venue owners mightn't trust you unfortunately :/ You should see if you can find someone in their 20s that would be willing to help you out.
Thanks for linking that post - it was really helpful! I know that I wouldn't be trusted by venues, because to them, I'd just look like some lost kid trying to set up a tournament for what they might see as a child's party game. (not my opinion on Smash obviously) If I did get into TO'ing, I definitely would do it alongside some adults who also want to create more of a scene in the South.

Stupid question, try not to cringe - if I was TO'ing an event, would I still be able to enter? I'd love to help out in creating a Smash scene in my local area, but I just can't resist playing the game either - it's just too damn fun. I'm also becoming more interested in commentating matches so I have lots of Smash-related things to think about. However, I'd still put TO'ing as my top priority for Cork tournaments because I can at least try to travel to tournaments outside of Cork and play or commentate in those ones (which hopefully I'll be able to do soon, I really want to put my name out there and get on the Ireland Power Rankings before I'm 18).

Diamond Zero

Smash Cadet
Thanks for linking that post - it was really helpful! I know that I wouldn't be trusted by venues, because to them, I'd just look like some lost kid trying to set up a tournament for what they might see as a child's party game. (not my opinion on Smash obviously) If I did get into TO'ing, I definitely would do it alongside some adults who also want to create more of a scene in the South.

Stupid question, try not to cringe - if I was TO'ing an event, would I still be able to enter? I'd love to help out in creating a Smash scene in my local area, but I just can't resist playing the game either - it's just too damn fun. I'm also becoming more interested in commentating matches so I have lots of Smash-related things to think about. However, I'd still put TO'ing as my top priority for Cork tournaments because I can at least try to travel to tournaments outside of Cork and play or commentate in those ones (which hopefully I'll be able to do soon, I really want to put my name out there and get on the Ireland Power Rankings before I'm 18).

Yeah you'd still be able to enter your own event but make sure you have an assistant TO on hand for when you're busy playing your matches. All the TO's, including myself, enter our own events usually. We may be hosting it but it doesn't mean we shouldn't enter. If you're creating a pot prize for 1st/2nd/3rd, be sure to pay yourself into the pot.

Try and talk to Smashers near you. Whenever I started my own tournament series I had no one around me who played but Newry is nicely located between two big cities which is <2hr bus ride away. Same situation as Skarfelt and Enniskillen.

PKMX

Smash Rookie
Yeah you'd still be able to enter your own event but make sure you have an assistant TO on hand for when you're busy playing your matches. All the TO's, including myself, enter our own events usually. We may be hosting it but it doesn't mean we shouldn't enter. If you're creating a pot prize for 1st/2nd/3rd, be sure to pay yourself into the pot.

Try and talk to Smashers near you. Whenever I started my own tournament series I had no one around me who played but Newry is nicely located between two big cities which is <2hr bus ride away. Same situation as Skarfelt and Enniskillen.
Nice! As long as I can still play, I would love to get into TO'ing in Cork sometime this year (along with others if they are interested enough, of course). Maybe I could commentate at other events too, but I've got more stuff to learn before I get into that. Thanks for the advice! I'm hoping that I'll be able to get in contact with some of Cork's best players this Summer.

RudaiSimpli

Smash Rookie
Nice! As long as I can still play, I would love to get into TO'ing in Cork sometime this year (along with others if they are interested enough, of course). Maybe I could commentate at other events too, but I've got more stuff to learn before I get into that. Thanks for the advice! I'm hoping that I'll be able to get in contact with some of Cork's best players this Summer.
If you TO in Cork, especially from September - May, there's a very very strong chance the Limerick contingent will come in full force.

PKMX

Smash Rookie
If you TO in Cork, especially from September - May, there's a very very strong chance the Limerick contingent will come in full force.
Yeah, it would be beneficial for both Cork and Limerick because of how close they are. It would be cool if more competitive Smashers in other counties started organising tournaments - it wouldn't have to be every county, but just enough tournaments in certain counties spread evenly across Ireland so that there would always be a tournament within an accessible distance for everyone, and not a long drive/expensive bus journey away. It would be great for the overall Irish Smash scene so we could really stick our flag in the Smash Bros. community and increase our relevance in it.

Top Bottom