• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ireland & Northern Ireland Thread!

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
lads, we got a meetup in XGC tomorrow on thursday, same as last time. Ultan says he wants to start around 6 (same as last time as well) but some people will probably be there before that. There will be setups for PM, Melee, and Sm4sh, thought I think we might need whatever setups we need lol.

I'll personally bring a sm4sh setup.

Skarfelt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Skarfelt
Breaking Boundaries 2!

TIME TO BREAK SOME MORE BOUNDARIES FOLKS
Key changes:
-Pools for every game above 20 entrants
-Best of 5 for top 8
-3 stock in Smash 4
-Removal of Smash 4 doubles (I'm sorry...)
-Actual streaming/recording (hopefully...)
-£5 entry for each game
-Polls on characters to represent each game as a prize! Vote here:
Melee http://goo.gl/forms/ISu34uCI4n
PM http://goo.gl/forms/UJpWKeam4l
Sm4sh http://goo.gl/forms/IS2lO83abr

SIGNUP: http://goo.gl/forms/4ljpY4KW5Z

Hao Ly, #13 on the UK PR, has currently signed up. Professor Pro has also expressed interest so far. I recognise the date is very awkward but it is what it is. Hope to see you all there =]

Last edited:

EndlessRain

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheBlindMan
3DS FC
1693-1682-5689
3 stock... I don't know how to feel. On the one hand, yay less jank! On the other hand, now I will get styled on 50% more.

Skarfelt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Skarfelt
There might be one in Newry coming up soon-ish. Incidentally, next time I see you I need to give you a refund for BB. I have no money to Paypal right now =[

I would host it sooner but I'm going away to England soon myself, sorry D;

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Will the one in Newry have Smash 4? From what I've seen, they're usually only Melee and PM. Smash 4 is the only one I'd travel for (other than Brawl, but nobody plays that any more)

noahk777

Smash Journeyman
NNID
noahgk
Hey, guys, I love Smashboards and everything, but Reddit is a lot easyier and more convinent to just post stuff and talk, so what if I made a Ireland Smash Bros subreddit? Would you use it? Or would it just only have two posts on it like the last subreddit I made like tons of little subs?

toadee

Smash Cadet
we have an active thread right here, why would we change that? just stick to here, plus its most likely easier for other people to find this thread.

Rogob

Smash Rookie
NNID
RogobU
Hey guys. I'm new here. 15 years old, Living in Sligo, I started as a kid who probably couldn't fit his hands around the controllers with melee, Started actually gaining consciousness of what I was doing by brawl (But played extrememely casual to the point that casuals would probably call me a filthy casual :p Granted I was only about 6 when I got brawl) and now with smash wii u I am actually trying to get good at the game. Just hoping ye'd take me in as a new memeber of the smash community in Ireland and I was wondering if there was any place for me (I'm good, Nothing amazing though. At least I think so :p)

And if it's of any use for ye to know, I am good at video editing and VFX so I'd be happy to help out if something like that was ever needed.

And if you can't tell from my picture, I main toon link, Because I loved wind waker as a kid and still do to this day, It's my favourite game ever, So I love toon link in smash. And he's a really fun character.

That's all.

Skarfelt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Skarfelt
Hey dude! You picked a fairly good time - I dunno how much you can travel but the biggest Irish event of the year, Celtic Throwdown, is happening next week in Dublin! It's the event I just posted a trailer for. The week after that there's an event in Newry and early January there's an event where I live in Fermanagh.

If you can't travel, there's the Facebook group for general chattering and finding games.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/SmashIreland/ - FB group
https://www.facebook.com/events/827279547320811/ - Celtic Throwdown
https://www.facebook.com/events/512664942220334/?fref=ts - Newry
https://www.facebook.com/events/916838791722757/?fref=ts - Breaking Boundaries 2

Last but not least, here's the August Power Rankings. While I'm on the subject, I'm probably going to wait until after Newry to update them rather than just do it on a fixed monthly scale. I'll be taking general performance at meetups into account the least and events like Heir, Celtic Throwdown and Newry into account the most. As always, friendly performance doesn't mean anything on the PR.

http://imgur.com/a/dM3qO - Power Rankngs

Rogob

Smash Rookie
NNID
RogobU
Thanks :D Doubt I'll be able to travel up, Just back into school, So I am tired as fudge and getting organised and stuff :D
But I'd defiitely like to become part of the crowd someday. I'll send requests to some of the people on this thread on my wii u so I can build a group of Irish people I can play smash online with and try get better. I'll add you too if you don't mind :D

Skarfelt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Skarfelt
Sure thing - this thread is normally used for news updates rather than finding games. We use Facebook and Skype for finding games, usually. I can still add you if you want but I don't play too much online.

noahk777

Smash Journeyman
NNID
noahgk
Yeah, most of the people here don't have FB so I recognise it's kind of incovenient, sorry D:
And thats one of the reasons I said I could set up a Ireland Smash Subreddit.

(Though if most of the people here don't have FB I doubt they have Reddit.)

Also, @ Skarfelt Skarfelt , I just looked on that Celtic Throwdown link you posted, and I can't find the times/entry for the Smash 4 part of that. Can somebody tell me when the Smash 4 part of the tournament starts and ends, where this is, and where I can enter?

Also, @ Rogob Rogob , welcome to Ireland Smash! (If you manage to get to a tournament, I'v been here for ages and still haven't gone to one because I can't find the times and places on all these Facebook links which is why I wanted to make a Smash Ireland subreddit and I'm gonna stop rambling now so meh.) About you saying you want to play online with people, I'll fight you online. And you will be F.L.U.D.Ded off stage by my Red Luigi.

Last edited:

Skarfelt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Skarfelt

tl;dr pols at 12-18, PM at 16-19, doubles at 16-19

On Sunday, Top 8 at 11-14
Not sure where the rest of top 16 is in there - probably at the same time as pools.

EDIT: I'm gonna clarify my stance on the Reddit.

We're already split across two boards. As it is, we have around 500 people using FB compared to how many here? It's your decision not to use Facebook - one I don't blame you for - but there's like maybe ten members who exclusively use SB compared to FB. This sub would appeal pretty much exclusively to people without Facebook who are either all here already or people who spend a lot of time Redditing anyway... and there's a link to the Irish FB page from there.

Basically, I can go on and on about why the sub will get no traffic and serve no purpose but that's basically what will happen.

THAT SAID, I totally agree on events being pretty awkward to find right now. At the start of the Summer I typed a master document on all the events of the Summer up but that should be in the sticky at the top of Smash Ireland FB or in the OP of this thread. As for start times, you can ask on the page or it should say at the top - my events tend to have a schedule for registration and whatever else so I'll encourage other TOs to do the same.

Last edited:

toadee

Smash Cadet
Actually, if you keep an eye out on the Smash Ireland Facebook, you should have no problem what so ever finding information about upcoming tournaments AND people here like skarfelt and diamondzero always post when a new tournament is announced. If you dont have a facebook, making one is really easy and it generally is the preferred place for planning weeklies/tournaments/online friendlies. If you are unsure of anything then you can simply leave a comment on the FB post, easy. Irish subreddit is just unnecessary, no one would use it, since facebook and smashboards are here and active.

Skarfelt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Skarfelt
Shamelessly copying and pasting MiKenyan's post from Facebook.

"Celtic Throwdown is just a couple of days away now! Couple of things to note down for those who'll be attending.

- The venue is open to the public from 10am on Saturday, which is also when registration begins. The pools will begin at 12pm sharp. There will be no leeway for latecomers, so make sure you show up before and register.
- All participants under 18 years of age *without exception* must be out of the venue by 7:30pm. This is a requirement by the Ashling hotel and is non-negotiable, so please be respectful of this and make arrangements to go home at this time.
- Signups for Doubles will happen on the day, so make sure you've found yourself a partner if you want to enter. If you're entering under a team name, keep it *clean* - Nintendo are sponsoring this event and the stream needs to be family-friendly.
- There will be a Nintendo Pub Quiz on Saturday at 8pm with a host of prizes generously provided by Nintendo. Minimum team size of 5 people, max 8.
- Every person who enters Ultra Street Fighter IV will be entered into a prize draw for a chance to win a prize bundle provided by the Capcom Europe community manager, who will be in attendance himself and will have with him the latest version of Street Fighter V with all characters announced to date, including R. Mika.

Full tournament schedule below, all other details available at the following:
http://www.celticthrowdown.com/
https://www.facebook.com/events/827279547320811/ "

I believe the plan is to have eight pools with top two from each pool getting through to a top 16 played Sunday morning. I really hope everyone shows up and makes this event amazing not just for us, but for the rest of the IFGC. They've been amazing to us with four Road2Throwdown events and a huge tournament now. If we give them the numbers, they can bring us back next year to make it bigger and better.

Rogob

Smash Rookie
NNID
RogobU
Won't be able to enter this year. Really busy with things at the moment, But I'm in Transition Year next year! Hope it comes back next year, And if it does, Expect to see Rogob's Toon Link up there bright and early ready for battle. I'll be practising all year.....And studying for the junior cert of course *Chuckles* :p Good luck, Hope it goes well.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Won't be able to enter this year. Really busy with things at the moment, But I'm in Transition Year next year! Hope it comes back next year, And if it does, Expect to see Rogob's Toon Link up there bright and early ready for battle. I'll be practising all year.....And studying for the junior cert of course *Chuckles* :p Good luck, Hope it goes well.
The word year has been repeated 5 times in this post!

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I guess I'd better introduce myself~

I'm Niko and I play Smash. A bit. I think I'm okay at it.

I live in Limerick, which is small and wet. I main Pit because he's cute and has fluffy wings.

My brother is @Formaldehyde. He's better than me, you should play him.

I wish I could make it to more tourneys but I'm poor. I will try to rectify that immediately.

Meow~ :3

Skarfelt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Skarfelt
CELTIC THROWDOWN TOP 16
There are eight players entering top 16 on Winners side and eight players on Losers side. Within those eight, they have also been split to be higher or lower seed - for each group, the top four have the higher seed entering the bracket tomorrow.

WINNERS
Arikado
EOE
Mint
Nagalfar

Way
Bulby
G~P
Skarfelt

LOSERS
maXy
Hackle Serpent
Adam Aplz
Soon

Berra
MagiMagi
Kerbykong
Phoenix

All brackets, including PM, can be found here: http://rsie.challonge.com/
Pools G and H weren't used. Loser's and Grand Finals weren't played out but were filled out for TO convenience.

snook

Smash Apprentice
Good job guys actually had a blast here trying out my palutena on strong competition, in bracket and friendlies as well.
Really good time there, wish I could've stayed for finals.
See you guys next summer (assuming you do this again), I'll hopefully be a bit better.
Now back to coding in college....

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Hey, so I was wondering if there are any Smash events at Eirtakon this year. I know there was last year, but I couldn't afford to go at the time. I could afford to go this year though, and if there are any Smash events, I'd probably go and take part.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Hey, so I was wondering if there are any Smash events at Eirtakon this year. I know there was last year, but I couldn't afford to go at the time. I could afford to go this year though, and if there are any Smash events, I'd probably go and take part.
I googled Eirtakon and it's literally in dublin? if so come to our weekly/biweekly XGC meetings mate, it's down in liffey street, a couple minutes walk from o'connel street. get in the ireland facebook group, they'll usually post there before the meetings happen

edit: wait, i actually misunderstood. I thought Eirtakon is like an area in dublin or something LOL, don't mind me

Last edited:

NoviceSmasher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
akeane1697
3DS FC
3668-8892-8828
Well done to everyone who played in celtic throwdown, and to all sheiks, I wll hunt you down one by one

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Yeah I don't actually live in Dublin so it'd be a bit of a trip, which is why I'm hoping Eirtakon has a Smash event (my first Smash tournament and my first convention doubled up in one trip :p).

I'll consider those meet-ups though. Maybe if there is one on around the time of Eirtakon I can stay in a nearby hotel or something. It's just a money issue, though. If I had a job, I'd probably pop out to these things on weekends, haha.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Well done to everyone who played in celtic throwdown, and to all sheiks, I wll hunt you down one by one
Me and magimagi are the only real Sheik mains apparently. Mint and S00N only pop him up in certain matchups

which is sad, I prided myself with the title of "only sheik in ireland" ;_;

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
literally on the stream it was just sheik, sheik, sheik
That was because I played a bunch of matches all as Sheik, mint played sheik twice in sets against each of nagalfar and skarfelt, and I think that's it.

NoviceSmasher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
akeane1697
3DS FC
3668-8892-8828
I felt so sorry for nagalfar , that mu looks really hard for bowser jr

Top Bottom