• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

IRC for Coordinating ONLINE -FRIEND CODE BOT IS UP!

Crossjeremiah

Smash Ace
When you can use forums to organize tournaments and stuff. Smashscrim is mainly for fast scrims or for fun matches. you can meet a lot of people. instead of waiting for people to post or ask for a match on these forums you can just join one or make one up freely on #smashscrim. I'm having someone writing a security script and possibly a !friendscode script. for the channel. !friendscode - would work like when you enter !friendscode nickname then you can find out someones brawlcode. but is highly likely, but i don't know for sure yet. theres a good amount of people . and some of the people on this forum knows how to use IRC and we have a couple of operators. I will link the #smashworld channel to this forum and you'll have more publicity from other smashplayers around the world so this is a big boost for the forum community too.

Monshou_no_Nazo

Smash Journeyman
When you can use forums to organize tournaments and stuff. Smashscrim is mainly for fast scrims or for fun matches. you can meet a lot of people. instead of waiting for people to post or ask for a match on these forums you can just join one or make one up freely on #smashscrim. I'm having someone writing a security script and possibly a !friendscode script. for the channel. !friendscode - would work like when you enter !friendscode nickname then you can find out someones brawlcode. but is highly likely, but i don't know for sure yet. theres a good amount of people . and some of the people on this forum knows how to use IRC and we have a couple of operators. I linked the #smashworld channel to this forum and you'll have more publicity from other smashplayers around the world so this is a big boost for the forum community too.
I don't want to be denied the ability to use the forum. I will sacrifice ease of use and wait the time necessary if I want to try and get a match against someone that is known to be good if there is no tournament going on.

Crossjeremiah

Smash Ace
what if your having the smashnight cravings..

what if your craving a match at 3 or 5 in the morning. there will be people posting matches 24/7 on the #smashscrim channel. its the ease of the fast responses from people. instead of having to post your name and asking for wii brawl code on the forums . the fastest people would get into matches on average is 10 or 15 minutes. Smashscrim will easily decrease the amount of time by ten-fold. Like you'll have a match in 30sec-3minutes at the most. it depends on the person and if they know how the system works. there will be a !rules command to look on how to post a match and how to join it. and i will post topic of this thread there. linked to here.

Monshou_no_Nazo

Smash Journeyman
I know what you're advertising, and I may do so at times, but I would like the option to use forums for finding people to get better at the game with. I'm not even trying to say IRC is bad, I just want the option to use the forum if I need to.

Crossjeremiah

Smash Ace
of course you can use forums as an option. smashscrim is used to have fast matches. i'm not denying anyone to use the forums. you can use irc or the forums. im just throwing out alternatives

Monshou_no_Nazo

Smash Journeyman
You kept sounding like the forums were bad and that nobody should use them because IRC is faster and it is easier to meet people (I would honestly rather meet quality people than to meet lots of people). I have several reasons why I want to use forums, but most of those reasons aren't fit for this discussion, but as long as I'm not told that the forums are a terrible place to get matches, I'm fine with you making an IRC channel for having matches.

With that said, I'll use IRC for quick and dirty matches, but that's about it. I'm not really going to use it for anything social or serious with it, unless there's some sort of opportunity I stumble upon.

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
Although IRC is a decent method, it is fairly old fashioned and requires a lot of manual work to get it working. We explored the option of IRC for WiFi Wars, but found it to be too much of a hassle (I used to play competitive CS and Halo1 back in the day using IRC). I know SmashBoards is in the process of making an awesome system for matches, and we at WiFi Wars are creating a nice little matchmaking system for our competitive leagues :)

Crossjeremiah

Smash Ace
yea. like irc is for quick matches. soon we will have ranks for each person when these boards create the system. and that would be great. so we can have the most even matches possible. i made a couple of smash partners on irc already ^_^

mista_mista

Smash Journeyman
I can't wait till there gets to be even more people when Brawl comes out. There's already quite a bit of people on and brawl still has a month to release.

Crossjeremiah

Smash Ace
Lol you keep telling your self that.... no one uses skype for scrims.... and plus why would you talk while playing... saying comments . like I HATE YOU, NICE MOVE, well its common stuff you hear when you play... whats the point of hearing there voice....i kind of don't want to hear 1300 8 yr olds even though i played online games when i was 7.

FireWater

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1478-5556-9486
IRC won't be as good for Ssbb. Skype is the answer. It was practically made for Brawl without a doubt.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=135984 - Discussion here.

http://smashfun.co.nr - the official forum dedicated to bringing you the best brawl wifi/communication/voice chat experience.
Yeah I dunno about skype for getting practice.

The professional FPS community uses IRC to get practice/scrims and even to organize messages. If they can use this practical tool, I see no reason why this community cannot.

Pyr0

Smash Ace
Nice.

Joined the IRC now (didnt register in gamesurge)

I support IRC, even tho its old school, because it requires little to non bandwith compared to traditional instant messengers or VOIP software.
Making us have a lag-free smash battle.

Monshou_no_Nazo

Smash Journeyman

mista_mista

Smash Journeyman
igloo9, seriously, stop trying to take over this thread. You have your own thread for Skype so just post there instead of trolling in this thread.

FireWater

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1478-5556-9486
LOL at skype, good luck trying to exchange friend codes and play at the same time :)

Crossjeremiah

Smash Ace
Connecting To Irc

Starting up ^_^

1. Goto Gamesurge.net. Sign up. And you will receive an email and this will come in handy later on in the tutorial.

2. Goto mirc.com and click download mIRC. Then click download mIRC.

3. When you setup mIRC you will see this( you can choose to register if you want if not wait till the continue button shows up)

4. It will bring you to this screen. Enter your name , and email and nick name and uncheck invisible.

5. Click on the servers option. Find Gamesurge. And select random server.

6. Click on the Options option. Then click on the perform option. Type in this info in that box.( if your only going to be using the gamesurge server choose all networks if you want. If not you can choose gamesurge your self. )

/authserv auth (gamesurgeaccount) (password) *type this in for your gamesurge account without the “()” type in the password the email gave you and use the nick that you signed up on gamesurge with.*

/join #smashscrim *fastmatch/scrim channel*
/join #smashtourny *tournament channel*
/join #findsmashpartner *findsmashpartner*
/join #smashworld *general chat*

It doesn’t matter what order it is in.

What this procedure does is that it automatically makes you joins these channels when starting up mirc also it logs into your gamesurge account automatically

7. After that click connect option and click connect to server. And it should bring you too all the channels that’s discussed on this thread. GOOD LUCK. Have fun. If you need any help. Just aim me at differen7style

genus

Smash Rookie
I've been on the channel for a few days, long-time irc vet...I'll maybe get some people from another site to hang around once Brawl is actually released because right now the general-talk channel is pretty much filled with "OMG BRAWL IN LESS THAN 4 WEEKS", which really isn't conducive to discussion.

GameSurge is a bad network too...if we're going to switch then now is the only time we can, after release there will be a massive influx of users (probably).

Tonjevic

Smash Rookie
Lies, most IRC networks don't require payment. Quakenet, EFnet, Freenode, Blitzed, Rizon, SynIRC, IRC-Chat, WorldIRC and zIRC to name only a precious few don't require payment for channel registration (iirc).
Quakenet is a pretty good network, actually, and would be the one that I suggest. It doesn't have any long-winded registration processes, it has leaf nodes all around the world and, for such a large network, relatively few splits.

As an aside, the smashboards need an integrated java IRC applet for people who want to chat, but don't want to download an external client for IRC, dcc++ or whatever chat protocol people favour.

Crossjeremiah

Smash Ace
Well virtually theres no bandwidth. So it won't affect your gameplay what so ever. but i'm probably might thinking of moving to rizon. when i get an email back. but who knows we might stay at gamesurge. Gamesurge sign up process is 3 minutes top.

TnadeN

Smash Cadet
Woot GREAT! (how come i searched for "IRC" and noting came up...) *joining*

Crossjeremiah

Smash Ace
Ok, were not moving. I found out the problem why i pinged irc.gamesurge.net and got 148.
just change it irc.us.gamesurge.net. and you will 48 ping or something reasonable amount. irc.gamesurge.net is RANDOM SERVER. which i have no idea what that means

Crossjeremiah

Smash Ace
check the edited portion in my starting up in the first post.

it should be number 5 or something like that...

WOW our channel just exploded. as in good explosion

igloo9

Smash Apprentice
seriously, igloo9, leave now
I'm simply stating my opinion. Plus, IRC can be confusing for some people. Voice chat should be fun for everyone, not just for people who know how to use IRC. That's why Skype would be better. It's more user-friendly, and pretty much anyone can use it.

Suoinegni

Smash Apprentice
IRC... I haven't used that in a looooong time, like since 2000. But back on-topic, I'll consider this in my options...just not right now. I'll be back when Brawl's actually out stateside...

igloo9

Smash Apprentice
Wow that looks kinda confusing. I don't want to shut you down or anything, but I think a simple AIM chatroom (like the one in my sig) would be way easier.
Thanks. Finally someone agrees.

You see guys...I'm not trying to be a troll if you guys think I am. IRC is a great idea, but it can be confusing for some people. That's why I'm saying Skype would be a better way to go because anyone can easily use it.

FireWater

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1478-5556-9486
Thanks. Finally someone agrees.

You see guys...I'm not trying to be a troll if you guys think I am. IRC is a great idea, but it can be confusing for some people. That's why I'm saying Skype would be a better way to go because anyone can easily use it.
If you think its a great idea, stop posting alternatives in this thread, and create your own.

Otherwise leave as you aren't contributing anything of value to the thread.

Dark Link

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Neoshade
If anyone needs help getting into this (its actually really easy). Email, add me to messenger, or PM me! I'd be willing to help.

Crossjeremiah

Smash Ace
Basically your Trolling

This is not a thread where you post your own alternatives. AIM won't do anything really. irc is a simple protocol virutally bandwithless.. AIM on the other hand still has lag. For you people who don't know how to use irc. learn cause its going to stay here for a long time. You can't make scripts in aim. can you? There are 40+ people in IRC right now, so what does that say about the people who are to confused.... (well its self explanatory) and IRC is known worldwide. Trust me #smashscrim will be next stop when you want a good decent match at anytime in the day, because it has security to make sure people don't chat , only post games. in aim you can't have security like IRC. so the aim thing is practically just got pwned.

Top Bottom