• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Intertia Landing

RPK

Smash Lord
https://vine.co/v/O1dLOJWaVx9

From the looks of this video, it looks like you can use the momentum that you gain from landing into other moves allowing a character to keep moving forward while still performing a move. This, as you can see, is extremely useful for Fox and will probably be useful for other characters that have great walking speeds. Or atleast I assume so. I just found this this morning and wanted to share it with you all. As you can see, it looks to be extremely useful. Since I don't speak japanese, and am not 100% sure on the exact translation, I would appreciate if someone could figure out how this is done.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
It almost appears to be a buffered Fox Trot. Regardless it seems like an interesting spacing option.

RPK

Smash Lord
It almost appears to be a buffered Fox Trot. Regardless it seems like an interesting spacing option.
I dont think its a buffered Fox Trot considering you cant D-smash out of it and the grab that was shown was a standing grab and not a running grab. I think its the momentum that you get from landing, but again, I could be wrong since I cant translate it accurately. I would love to know the specifics behind executing it.

AznLanceLord

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, I could replicate the movement with grab only, but it seems to be due to conserving momentum from walking right as you land.

RPK

Smash Lord
Yeah, it seems like you just need to do the move a little bit after you touch the ground after a jump with a bit of forward momentum. Its easier to see when you slow down the game. However, I haven't been able to do it 100% and have been only been able to do it with grab, D-smash, and U-smash

Virgule

Smash Cadet
NNID
virgule222
I asked a friend for a quick traduction and this is what he answered me :

So Explanations"First landing with inertia -> When landing : walk -> move (i think it means either grab, Usmash or Dsmash)"Thanks for the info!

Consider this as a very rough translation as my friend told me he didn't understand everything (he doesn't play smash) and this is a translation of a translation ( Japanese >French> English).
Seems like the trick is just , as said earlier by @ RPK RPK , that you need to use the momentum of your jump (your jump can't be straight up!) and walk as soon as you reach the ground. Not sure about the exact timings though.

Loken

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-6858-0816-0777
I've tried that myself and not been able to pull it off. Not sure if I understand exactly how it works or something. Anyone who can provide a better explanation or video?

RPK

Smash Lord
Full Jump
Land
Hold Forward
Grab

If you grab too soon you won't go anywhere. If you grab too late you won't go that far. You gotta time the grab right.

I havent been able to do this from a short hop, or a double jump though, it saddens me a bit.

EDIT: Nevermind, I can do it from a double jump, but so far, I havent been able to do it from a short hop or a ledge jump

Last edited:

KAOSN00B

Smash Cadet
Ok i figured it out. Its a tad tricky at firat but all you gotta do is input your move (grab smash ect) as soon as you see the walk animation. So once fox even moves slightly press your move and he should get that good slide. Also DO NOT input a run. You must be holding the stick as if you were going for a tilt. Hope this helps you guys

Last edited:

Top Boss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PizzaMonkey24
3DS FC
2449-5103-4580
Would this help with combo'ing out of back air at all? sadly it doesn't seem as useful for fox since only 2 of his aerials can autocancel lol. maybe full hop dair into inertia landing something would work too. IDEK

Logo12

Smash Lord
Somewhere without a Smash community. Send hlep
A slightly more detailed translation:

ということで解明「前慣性付きの着地→着地隙に先行入力歩き→掴み」 情報ありがとうございました!
To simply put: Land with a forward momentum -> Buffer a walk right before landing -> Grab
Thanks for the info!​

Not quite sure how exactly to perform it, and I have no Wii U around me, so see if this does anything :/

Last edited:

TheRedLemming

Smash Cadet
It's exactly as he said. Basically when you land with a walk buffered, your first step off of the walk is a little faster than what follows, and you can use this ti make you slide a little bit longer (speaking of which, it /is/ a stronger version of sliding pivots, with the downside that you can't do it out of a short hop)
So FH -> Walk Starting animation -> Grab (or Usmash/Dsmash)
It's only a few frames long that you're moving as quickly as that in order to do it properly, so you have to be pretty technical, as an optional tech thing for fox? I'd say it might not be that useful, because it requires an empty full hop to pull off.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
This is not whats happening in the vine that I posted. Not at all. If you look Fox never does a turn around animation.
ah yeah you're right good eye, I believe the mechanic is the same though, like its the same thing causing the inertia, but in the case of the turn around one, you are also turning around whilst sliding.

I'd say it might not be that useful, because it requires an empty full hop to pull off.
does it require an empty jump? Surely if you used an aerial that ended before you landed you'd still be able to do it (as far as I'm aware fox's aerials dont affect his momentum, unless you have smash stick and then only by a fraction if you tap the stick)

Last edited:

TheRedLemming

Smash Cadet
does it require an empty jump? Surely if you used an aerial that ended before you landed you'd still be able to do it (as far as I'm aware fox's aerials dont affect his momentum, unless you have smash stick and then only by a fraction if you tap the stick)

It'd either have to end before you landed, or be able to auto cancel, which isn't impossible, but it's as you land and start walking after landing (without an attack), so if you either mess up your auto-canceling, or add any lag to landing, you can't do it. I haven't experimented it out yet with all that, just the generally getting it down on an empty hop, so I /can/ start learning to do it with attacks and all. But thus far, as long as you don't have any lag when landing, it can be done.

That said, I'm not a top player with fox, so I don't know how to do some of the technical stuff yet (like auto-canceling super great, or other bits)

RPK

Smash Lord
ah yeah you're right good eye, I believe the mechanic is the same though, like its the same thing causing the inertia, but in the case of the turn around one, you are also turning around whilst sliding.

Well I was the one who made the thread so....lol

You can do it from a full hop, though there has been times where I have been able to do it with a short hop. It can also be done from any aerial that auto cancels like TheRedLemming said. So the best ones you can do it from are sh bair, fh bair, fh nair but other than those usually the best way to do it is from just tomahawks. Also empty full jump is amazing! I dont know what some of you are talking about :x

Top Bottom