• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Internet Explorer 9

tera twin

Smash Journeyman
Have any of you tried it out? I kind of like it and I kind of don't. It seems to crash a lot for me but I think it's my download manager add-on.

Compared to IE8, there's some pretty big changes in terms of UI. I currently don't like it but I will probably get used to it.

One thing that annoys me though is the positioning of the tabs. It's right next to the address bar. If you have a certain amount of tabs, the tabs become a scroll tab list and that's annoying especially since you only have half of the space available for open tabs which makes the tab buttons even smaller to fit.

I also don't know what happened to my bookmarks from IE8 that were displayed at the bottom of the address bar.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Use Chrome/Firefox instead.

I guarantee you will like one or the other better after messing with them for a bit. Everyone does. IE in General is bad, those crashes are because IE is bad.

vadgama

Smash Journeyman

I guarantee you will like one or the other better after messing with them for a bit. Everyone does. IE in General is bad, those crashes are because IE is bad.
On the contrary I hear IE9 is pretty freaking sweet. On par or better than chrome/firefox atm but I'd still recommend Chrome/Firefox instead as well, since IE's had so many problems in the past and IE will soon be outdated....hopefully....since Google wins at most things (chrome, gmail, search engine, ect.) and firefox has had generally few/if any problems.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer

I have always preferred Chrome and FireFox to IE. That said, I've heard very positive things about IE9- even from Arstechnica.

tera twin

Smash Journeyman
I got used to IE9 now and it doesn't crash anymore lol. I updated the download manager add-on to a version that is compatible with IE9.

Some issues I still have with IE9:

The built in download manager doesn't display transfer rate unless you click "more details" or something like that which opens the manager. It shows percentage but not the transfer rate at the bottom.

The <title> of the website doesn't display on the actual browser window anymore; just the tabs.

I didn't like the "your most visited/popular websites" page in Safari when you opened a new tab and I don't like it in IE9 either. I would be ok with this if there was a button to clear all websites like in Safari but you can't.

the "send your keystrokes to Bing" thing on the address bar (it gets live results for you) turns on after I turn it off once in a while

other than that, I like it now.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
The problem with IE9 is that it's still IE and carries all the significant security issues that it always has.

Used IE for years. I have used all the other browsers for periods of time. There is honestly no noticable difference for me. Chrome, opera, firefox, etc. They all appear fast at first, but they all end up slowing down after around a month.

MetalMusicMan

Sleepwalk our lives away.
IE9 is the best IE yet, it's faster and less bogged down with dumb features.

That said, it's still absolutely terrible, lol. It's years behind every single other browser when it comes to coding standards and still a nightmare for web developers :\ It can't do simple things like text shadows or rounded borders, and quite often still reads code in an entirely different and nonsensical way when compared to Firefox, Chrome, Safari, etc.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Used IE for years. I have used all the other browsers for periods of time. There is honestly no noticable difference for me. Chrome, opera, firefox, etc. They all appear fast at first, but they all end up slowing down after around a month.
Sounds like a personal problem.

Top Bottom