• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Inkling for Smash! Let's Make Like Squid and Migrate!

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
You know, this demo has made me simultaneously:

- Want this game like an order of magnitude more
- Want the soundtrack just as much
- Want to see Hideki Naganuma get his wish and contribute some DLC tunes
- Want Inklings in Smash NOW versus later **** patience
- Want to see Nintendo do more things in game genres they don't have currently

The Inklings in Smash would be so goddamn neat too. I'm imagining Elphelt (dunno how many Guilty Gear Xrd players there are in here) with all the crazy paint based mechanics from Splatoon and it's just so damn awesome. Best part? Customs could very easily be variations of the basics:

Neutral Special: Splattershot - High rate of fire, low range, medium hitstun
Neutral Special 2: Charger - Low rate of fire, maximum range, high hitstun, can enter a stance to further aim it/angle it
Neutral Special 3: Roller - Melee range attack, enter stance to run around mowing people over with it
Forward Special: Grenade - Similar to Snake's grenades in how you can lob them and they detonate over time.
Forward Special 2: Splat Bombs - Explode on contact
Forward Special 3: ???
Down Special: Squid Mode: Travel through ink in any direction and refill ink shooters
Down Special 2: Squid Slide: Vanquish like power slide boost along the floor wherever there's ink, can only move forward
Down Special 3: Squid Flip: Command back dash/flips and tucks into a nearby pool of ink (
Up Special: Rocket Jump: Blasts into the air to reappear on a marked spot of the floor (or just a good distance jump)
Up Special 2: Far Rocket Jump: Uses all your ink to propel itself further
Up Special 3: Offensive Rocket Jump: Spins in mid air flashing ink in a drill manner

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I don't know why but I played as the female inkling even though I'm a guy. Also did anyone have a hard time with the controls the first couple of matches. I kept forgetting which button released my secondary and it was weird how I couldn't aim vertically with the control stick.

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
You know, this demo has made me simultaneously:

- Want this game like an order of magnitude more
- Want the soundtrack just as much
- Want to see Hideki Naganuma get his wish and contribute some DLC tunes
- Want Inklings in Smash NOW versus later **** patience
- Want to see Nintendo do more things in game genres they don't have currently

The Inklings in Smash would be so goddamn neat too. I'm imagining Elphelt (dunno how many Guilty Gear Xrd players there are in here) with all the crazy paint based mechanics from Splatoon and it's just so damn awesome. Best part? Customs could very easily be variations of the basics:

Neutral Special: Splattershot - High rate of fire, low range, medium hitstun
Neutral Special 2: Charger - Low rate of fire, maximum range, high hitstun, can enter a stance to further aim it/angle it
Neutral Special 3: Roller - Melee range attack, enter stance to run around mowing people over with it
Forward Special: Grenade - Similar to Snake's grenades in how you can lob them and they detonate over time.
Forward Special 2: Splat Bombs - Explode on contact
Forward Special 3: ???
Down Special: Squid Mode: Travel through ink in any direction and refill ink shooters
Down Special 2: Squid Slide: Vanquish like power slide boost along the floor wherever there's ink, can only move forward
Down Special 3: Squid Flip: Command back dash/flips and tucks into a nearby pool of ink (
Up Special: Rocket Jump: Blasts into the air to reappear on a marked spot of the floor (or just a good distance jump)
Up Special 2: Far Rocket Jump: Uses all your ink to propel itself further
Up Special 3: Offensive Rocket Jump: Spins in mid air flashing ink in a drill manner
Final Smash: Kraken
Well that was fun. Will be interested to buy the full game now because it made me happy. Now if you guys don't mind me. I'm going to paint the whole Tutorial stage blue like a Happy Happyist. Blue Blue....

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
I only got to play once. Had to work this morning so I missed out on the last two. Love this game!!!!!
Nintendo, please let me back in.

MintChipper

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TonyEH
3DS FC
2793-1055-4457
Would it still require servers to be up to play the tutorial again? Or are they just being jerks. (pls don't hate me nintendo you've made a great game and one to be proud of)

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Would it still require servers to be up to play the tutorial again? Or are they just being jerks. (pls don't hate me nintendo you've made a great game and one to be proud of)
I'm gonna say yes since they didn't let us use the tutorial beforehand.

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
I recently got a new job and I'm going to be buying a wii U I really dislike FPS and TPS because how I suck at aiming and it does get really repetitive to the point to it being bland, But there are a few that I have played that I stuck with like Tf2 (if anyone wants free hats PM me i only got a few) this TPS looks really fun and seems a bit more forgiving. should I buy the Deluxe wii u for splatoon? I think this new IP will live on with the greats if it does well

MintChipper

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TonyEH
3DS FC
2793-1055-4457
Warning Received
I recently got a new job and I'm going to be buying a wii U I really dislike FPS and TPS because how I suck at aiming and it does get really repetitive to the point to it being bland, But there are a few that I have played that I stuck with like Tf2 (if anyone wants free hats PM me i only got a few) this TPS looks really fun and seems a bit more forgiving. should I buy the Deluxe wii u for splatoon? I think this new IP will live on with the greats if it does well
There is a Deluxe bundle with Splatoon. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/nintend...lack/6327118.p?id=1219661390641&skuId=6327118 Deluxe, Splatoon, Nintendo Land and the Splatoon Amiibo 3-pack = about $335 + tax, it is still cheaper than any Xbox One and Playstation 4 bundle. The Wii U is so freaking good at such a low freaking price compared to other consoles yet it is still ignored, GET A WII U. (Nintendo Land is included in the Splatoon bundle.)

Last edited by a moderator:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Well even if you don't like Splatoon (which I find very hard to do), you should get a WIi U anyway. Tons of great games on there like Smash Bros. (duh), Mario Kart 8, The Wonderful 101, Pikmin 3. I would get the Splatoon bundle, just because it comes with some games. Also why you giving out free hats on TF2, why u do dis to meh.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Having a demo available for all of three hours was silly.

But when you realize it was less about pleasing the fans and more about testing the capacity of the servers it makes sense.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Having a demo available for all of three hours was silly.

But when you realize it was less about pleasing the fans and more about testing the capacity of the servers it makes sense.
It's like selling drugs.

You give people a taste.

Get 'em hooked.

First hit's always free.

Then they get addicted.

And then have to pay your prices.

kylexv

Smash Master
I just wanted to share my thoughts on the Splatoon demo:
IT. WAS. AWESOME.

Really liked the Roller and the Splattershot Jr. Got good with both of them in the two hours I played.
I have a feeling I will really enjoy this game.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
After the last Testfire, the Roller started to grow on me. I think it'll be my main weapon for the Turf Wars and the Splattershot will be my main weapon for the main story. Also, got to level 7 in the minigame.
Anyways, if you need me I'll be crying in a corner until May 29th.

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
Well even if you don't like Splatoon (which I find very hard to do), you should get a WIi U anyway. Tons of great games on there like Smash Bros. (duh), Mario Kart 8, The Wonderful 101, Pikmin 3. I would get the Splatoon bundle, just because it comes with some games. Also why you giving out free hats on TF2, why u do dis to meh.
I should be getting payed on friday and I got a lot of bills to pay first so I will see if I can save up for some of those games smash bros wii u and DLC will be top priority. (also since this small laptop can't play big memory games I'm a give away a few hats they are not really needed to play TF2)

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I should be getting payed on friday and I got a lot of bills to pay first so I will see if I can save up for some of those games smash bros wii u and DLC will be top priority. (also since this small laptop can't play big memory games I'm a give away a few hats they are not really needed to play TF2)
I'll take em off your hands.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Can I just make one point against the inclusion of Inkilings. That point being the fact that there are characters now established as part of the Splatoon universe. Sure, none of them seem combat oriented, but I think wasting a lot of early voting on an inkling when there could be better characters in the game?

I dunno, Spyke as the sort of black market dealer he seems to be could make a character if he gets any kind of development. Depending on the Squid Sister's involvement they could become a possible nomination.

I like the inkling character as an idea for smash bros, but I wonder if there might end up being better representatives?

KaBlamJamDan

Smash Ace
NNID
Kablamjamdan
3DS FC
5129-0509-8499
Man, the Splattershot Jr. is extremely useful for when you get in a middle of a battle with someone. I got ganged up by three people, turn on my shield, and BAM! They just been rambo'd.

Can I just make one point against the inclusion of Inkilings. That point being the fact that there are characters now established as part of the Splatoon universe. Sure, none of them seem combat oriented, but I think wasting a lot of early voting on an inkling when there could be better characters in the game?

I dunno, Spyke as the sort of black market dealer he seems to be could make a character if he gets any kind of development. Depending on the Squid Sister's involvement they could become a possible nomination.

I like the inkling character as an idea for smash bros, but I wonder if there might end up being better representatives?
The Inkling are the main show though. They can transforms which is already an edge. Most of the NPCs doesn't really anything special about them besides having cool designs.

It like instead of adding Shulk, they add Riki. While Riki is a cool character in his right, it kinda misrepresenting the series.

Sonsa

Smash Champion

...? Oh! Whaa, that sounds pretty...lame, sorry. That's like adding Cordelia from Fire Emblem Awakening instead of Robin... or Blathers instead of Animal Crossing Villager.

Why add the side-character when the main character is so much more developed, popular, and...well, important? Inkling has so much potential and waiting for someone else to represent Splatoon in smash is like holding off on Captain Falcon to pick some random side-character racer...

Interesting thought though! Maybe there's a reeeally cool Octoling main villain we'll all fall in love with, but even then , Inkling is still the main character and only rep from Splatoon we should get.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
You both made
fairly similar points
And they are good points. You're right, I hadn't really considered that the others don't transform. Don't know how that slipped my mind. Ignore it, after the demo I've actually latched on to the idea of an Inkling (or at least a Splatoon rep) in smash. I do look forward to the possibility of a cool boss villain character who could be cool as well.

Burruni

Smash Hero
And they are good points. You're right, I hadn't really considered that the others don't transform. Don't know how that slipped my mind. Ignore it, after the demo I've actually latched on to the idea of an Inkling (or at least a Splatoon rep) in smash. I do look forward to the possibility of a cool boss villain character who could be cool as well.
We all know who it is going to be.
Dr. Octogonapus.

He has an giant laser attack of octopus ink.

This game was one long play up to bring back a meme and turn it into a final boss.

Last edited:

Mishudo

Smash Journeyman
Im curious now how people's perspectives have changed and would Inkling's chances be different in the RTC thread now?

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
Should Callie and Marie appear together in a Smash trophy or should each get her own?

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
So the Splatoon trophy list would end up like this:

- Inkling (Girl)
- Inkling (Boy)
- Inkling's Final Smash (I'm betting on the Kraken now)
- Inkling (Squid form)
- Octoling
- Octarian
- Cap'n Cuttlefish
- Judd
- Jelonzo
- Annie & Moe
- Crusty Sean
- Sheldon
- Spyke
- Callie & Marie

Last edited:

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
One thing I found really unfair about Splatoon is that you can see where an enemy is going to land after their Rocket Jump so one could easily camp at that spot with the Roller in hand and ambush them. I certainly did that a few times. I hope they fix that.

And another thing, is it just me, or can you faintly hear a woman giggle whenever you respawned? I swear I could hear it but my sister says it's nothing. I dunno it sounded kind of angelic and I really liked it. That's probably me though...

Last edited:

Sonsa

Smash Champion
I've been really into trying to draw hopeful characters in smash lately :p

HNI_0048.JPG

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
I do like the idea of an Ink mechanic in Smash but god knows if they can get 8-player Inkling dittos working with it.
Methinks the need to be cross operable with 3DS is the only thing that would throw a wrench into the plans. A few newcomer hopefuls might get hit with this limitation too (Wonder Red being another big one I'd say).

Burruni

Smash Hero
I do like the idea of an Ink mechanic in Smash but god knows if they can get 8-player Inkling dittos working with it.
I imagine it, the mechanic, being a kind of a "trap" skill only, like a particular shot whose trail creates an effect over platforms it sails over, on which inklings can swim particularly faster in with Squid form (as opposed to "Standard speed" on normal ground while slowing down opponents over it. I don't think that would be a stretch on capability if other Inkling's shots will over-ride it and the effect only lasts for a short duration before "Drying up"

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
So yeah, the charger is going to be my go to weapon. Really technical and require knowledge of the stage and also requires both accuracy and prediction.

Also, cool little commercial:

And so with all the advertising and care they put into the game it really seems likely for Inkling to be in smash. I would love the charger to be a neutral special as well.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
So understand there's been a lot of hype with the demo this weekend, but this thread is meant specifically for discussing Inklings in Smash.

Just as a reminder, if your post has next to nothing to do with/is not relating to Smash, it belongs on Squidboards, not this thread.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
No fun allowed.

So if Inkling get into Smash, surely they would add a few items from Splatoon as well? If so, I'd like Killer Wail to be an item. That thing is cool.

Creativion

Smash Apprentice
Just saw a lot of Splatoon game footage and some of the direct and it looks awesome. It would be cool to have an Inkling as a playable character. I will support

Top Bottom