• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Inkling for Smash! Let's Make Like Squid and Migrate!

Burruni

Smash Hero
Hey, I'm feeling like doing an update to my moveset using Brushes, Sloshers, and Splatling Guns.

Anyone interested in it or should I just let sleeping dogs lie?

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
Hey, I'm feeling like doing an update to my moveset using Brushes, Sloshers, and Splatling Guns.

Anyone interested in it or should I just let sleeping dogs lie?
Feel free to update. I personally like to see everyone's speculation on movesets. It goes to show how versatile an Inkling can be in Smash.

Burruni

Smash Hero
So, once again, this is an update/edit of my old one to fit with our new weapon types so don't expect anything... revolutionary.

Statistics
Height: Equal to:4ness:/:4lucas:
Weight: 80 (:4metaknight:)
Ground Speed: 1.15 (Equal to :4robinm:)
Air Speed: 1.0 (:rosalina::4robinm::4littlemac:)

Basic Moves
Jab Combo: One-Two Punch followed by a hard kick (:4sonic:)
Dash Attack: Turns into squid in Mid-air, spinning to deal damage and then returning to normal. Bad Endlag, little ground covered (similar to :4pacman:'s)

Get-Up Attack: Breakdance spin before standing back up
Ledge Attack: Inkling gives a quick shot to the ground before climbing up.
U-Tilt: Tentacles jut upwards like spikes (:4charizard:'s wings)
F-Tilt: Sweep of the Paintbrush (fast, weak equivilent to :4shulk:'s)
D-Tilt: Spins along the ground as a squid (:4pikachu:)

U-Smash: A launch of Slosher ink above head (hits like :4dedede:'s hammer)
F-Smash: Charges up a round of shots from the Splattling Gun, increasing with range and duration with charge (:4miigun:)
D-Smash: Slams down a roller , causing a splash of ink on both sides (Hits akin to :4olimar:'s)

U-Air: Weak chuck of slosher ink (:4mewtwo:'s tail or :4falcon::4ganondorf:'s foot)
N-Air: Horizontal spin with paintbrush oustretched (:4marth:/:4lucina:/:4myfriends:/:4robinm:)
F-Air: A quick Splattershot bullet (:4villager:)
B-Air: Fires a small charge of Splattling ammo behind them, giving a slight push ahead (Multi-hit version of :4rob:'s)
D-Air: Slams the Paint Brush down, spikes (most similar to :4olimar::4alph:'s)

Grab & Pummel: "Headbutts" and extends out tentacles to grab (Tether)
U-Throw: Tosses enemy up before impaling them with thrusted tentacles.
F-Throw: Flings opponents away.
B-Throw: Spin & Fling
D-Throw: Spikes the opponents to the ground

Specials
Up B: Super Jump - Inklings charge up in Squid form before launching into the air (:4fox::4falco: charge but with increased distance and :4diddy:'s maneuvering).
Up Custom 1: Quick Super Jump: Half the charge time, 75% of the distance launch.
Up Custom 2: Stealth Jump: 1.5x the charge time, but Inkling becomes invisible for the duration of the move.

Neutral B: Splattershot - A weak rapid-fire projectile with range about 75% of battlefield.
Neutral Custom 2: Aerospray - More damage, somewhat reduced damage and range (60%).
Neutral Custom 3: Blaster - Shots explode on contact for heavier damage, short range (40%)
(Effectively trying to get a Fox-Falco-Wolf situation)

(Warning, most... complex part of the moveset)
Side B: Splat Charger - Taking a full second to charge, fires out a long ranged (full length of battlefield) shot with a low arc that drips ink below it which acts as terrain applied to the platform underneath the shot as it flies. Ink disappears when any player walks over it or after 5 seconds. Inkling Squid (crawl) has better speed and jumping. Enemies receive a ~20% speed and first jump height reduction while standing/running over/through it.
Side Custom 1: Squiffer - Charge is faster (0.5 sec) and has more range, but ink lasts for half as long.
Side Custom 2: Splatter Scope - Charge is slower (1.5 sec) but damage of the shot is increased. Ink unaffected

Down B: Splat Bomb - Inkling tosses forward a small explosive with a 3 second fuse. Can be picked up but will detonate when held. Initial toss is half the length of battlefield.
Down Custom 1: Burst Bomb - Lesser damage but explodes on contact.
Down Custom 2: Seeker - The explosive lands at half the distance and chases along the ground like a Mechakoopa. Small damage, 5 second fuse.

Final Smash: RELEASE THE KRAKEN: Inkling achieves an ultimate stage of temporary evolution. They have enhanced speed and jumping ability at the cost of only having one jump at a time. A/B causes the Kraken to do a lunge forward, spinning to deal large damage while X/Y (or tap jump) causes the enhanced jump while drilling into the air, likewise dealing heavy amounts of damage. The Kraken releases a trail of standard ink behind it.

Animations
Entrance: As it is in the games

Walk: Simple Jog
Run: Dashing forward, gun held down
Crouch & Crawl: Squid Form, defaultly is slower than Inkling running speed and with a weaker jump but is faster in Ink and jumps higher from it.

Taunt 1: "Stay Fresh~" pose to the screen
Taunt 2: Tosses Splattershot into the air and catches it (:4zss:)
Taunt 3: Failed toss of a Slosher, hitting themselves in the head (the loss animation)

Victory 1: Pistol-type victory animation.
Victory 2: Roller-type victory animation.
Victory 3: Splattling-type victory animation (just because... it's become iconic with cuteness)

Victory Theme: https://youTube/watch?v=L_gGClKqPMA Fits best.

Defeat: Squid form Inkling claps its tentacles together

Last edited:

Jazzhand

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jazzhand
3DS FC
2767-1532-6118
Much rather the movesets stick to the original weapons as they're the most iconic.

also slosher is the dumbest thing ever. It's literally just a bucket that you fling ink at people.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I personally believe that if Sakurai were to make a moveset for the Inklings, he'd probably try to include the Splattershot, Charger and Rollers, since those were the first three weapons known at Splatoon's launch. The Splatling Gun and Slosher would probably seem a little too late for Sakurai's intent and purposes.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
I personally believe that if Sakurai were to make a moveset for the Inklings, he'd probably try to include the Splattershot, Charger and Rollers, since those were the first three weapons known at Splatoon's launch. The Splatling Gun and Slosher would probably seem a little too late for Sakurai's intent and purposes.
Too late? He hasn't even started on them yet. :p (assuming they're from the ballot of course)

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
The Splatling and the Slosher would be great additions to their arsenal. Since we don't have the Inklings already in because of pre ballot and what not, it doesn't make sense to not incorporate those weapon types in some way.

Jazzhand

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jazzhand
3DS FC
2767-1532-6118
Here's an idea.

All the Inkling taunts are tidbits of the dance routine of the squid sisters.

found some gifs

Above I imagine are up and down taunt.

the side taunt would be here (couldn't find any gifs)
https://youtu.be/l1vw3ATzNxQ?t=11s
Basically the bit after the down taunt where they jog on the spot and turn to each side and then sweep across as if yelling out something. Works great for smash as it implies the inkling breaks the forth wall and is catering to the crowd.

Last edited:

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
Fun topic: If other Smash characters were to participate in turf Wars with the Inklings, what would be their weapon of choice?

Shooters (Aerospray, Tentatek, Splattershot, etc.)
- Mario
- ZSSamus
- Fox
- Falco

Chargers
- Link
- Toon Link
- Pit
- Dark Pit

Rollers
- Villager
- Ike
- Dedede

Brushes
- Bowser Jr. (NO DUH)
- Kirby

Blasters (Rapid Blaster, Luna Blaster, etc.)
- Diddy Kong
- Samus

Splattings
- Luigi
- Donkey Kong

Slosher
- Mr. Game & Watch

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
New Big Poll! It's Source Gaming's biggest Smash poll yet!

NEW POLLING EFFORT BY @@ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11
The SG team has helped BluePikmin reorganize his individual character polls into 4 parts. We've also provided pre-filled out forms with neutral responses so people can navigate quickly. Hopefully this will yield more and better information for future posts.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
the next splatfest for us is just plain dull

messy rooms vs tidy rooms i kid you not
Why... Arts vs Sciences is okay I guess. I wonder why they're not doing many Nintendo themed events like Mario vs Luigi, or Lucario vs Mewtwo. Things like that.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
Light side vs Dark side of the force splatfest to coincide with the upcoming star wars film. Ink saber introduced.

Edit: Thinking about this more in depth, what if there was a sword class where you could hardly put down any ink, but you were lethal on offense. Basically kill people in a hit and you move quickly. Do you think people would bother with this class? Would only teams that can communicate through Skype use it (have one player with the sword class while the rest focus on defense) ?

Also, if this was a thing then the Inkling would be another Sword character in smash haha

Last edited:

Jazzhand

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jazzhand
3DS FC
2767-1532-6118
still waiting on splatoon 2: the second great turf war.

Octolings vs Inklings.

Where in the story agent 3 only delayed the invasion and made it possible for the Inklings to retaliate.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I try to keep my room tidy. However, sometimes people can find order in a messy room because they know where everything is. Case in point - Amethyst from Steven Universe.
I'll be on Team Tidy.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Good news is that I've finally got Splatoon from GameStop so that I can finally stop playing it over my girlfriend's house. The bad news is that I'll have to wait nearly 20 days just to have Nintendo fix the left stick of my Gamepad (the looseness of it results in frequent autoscrolling) until I'm able to play it. Been missing out on far too many Splatfests and I really wanted to play with you all. :(

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
It's good to know the Inklings have good support. I look at this thread compared to other threads and it always seems like we don't have as much support as other characters. It's reassuring to see Inklings placing in top 10s.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
It's good to know the Inklings have good support. I look at this thread compared to other threads and it always seems like we don't have as much support as other characters. It's reassuring to see Inklings placing in top 10s.
True. Sometimes people forget that Smashboards only makes up a fraction of the fan base.

Burruni

Smash Hero
True. Sometimes people forget that Smashboards only makes up a fraction of the fan base.
While this is true, it should be a fairly reasonable grounds for the general push.
Because here are the ways to know about the ballot.
1) Have watched the announcement on April 1st
2) Checked the official site
3) Been told about it.

There isn't going to be a dominating "casual," vote for this one, and Smashboards being a general grasp on the Smash community and especially the spread of SourceGaming's data should give us a relative grasp, but not an absolute measure by any means.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
While this is true, it should be a fairly reasonable grounds for the general push.
Because here are the ways to know about the ballot.
1) Have watched the announcement on April 1st
2) Checked the official site
3) Been told about it.

There isn't going to be a dominating "casual," vote for this one, and Smashboards being a general grasp on the Smash community and especially the spread of SourceGaming's data should give us a relative grasp, but not an absolute measure by any means.
Great points. I agree. The front runners in the ballot are definitely the typical characters the site is known for - Wolf, K Rool, Inkling, etc.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Great points. I agree. The front runners in the ballot are definitely the typical characters the site is known for - Wolf, K Rool, Inkling, etc.
*Cough Cough*
BANDANA FRIGGIN DEE
Sorry
Personal matter
When there's far too many polls that exclude him as a contender when he's legitimately a top 5.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
And if they don't appear as DLC at all, there's still Smash 5 or whatever the hell they'll call it to think about. If all these requests in the Smash Ballot in addition to the game's success, I'm sure many of you can agree that the Inklings are locks for the next game. With their unique ink mechanic and the many weapons from the game, I can easily see these squid kids as being right up Sakurai's uniqueness alley.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Just being on the hype bandwagon in the announcement of the Super Mario Maker stage - which was just released (and I got yesterday)
Splatoon was also released this year, and in combination with them being in the top 5 for Japan, I have an Inkling that the Inklings chances are pretty valid.

AvionFinch

Smash Cadet
so in the stage select with the super mario maker level, its not centered how it would be, and theres this big empty space to the right.
Probably nothing, but speculations all we got right now so...hype?

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
so in the stage select with the super mario maker level, its not centered how it would be, and theres this big empty space to the right.
Probably nothing, but speculations all we got right now so...hype?
I noticed that too. I had to pause it to look at the layout because it definitely threw me off. It looks just so...out of place... There's got to be a few more stages going along with Super Mario Maker to make that look neat. Hopefully it's a Splatoon stage (and a character to go with said stage.)

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

Inklings are the kids from the recently revealed Splatoon. The extreme unlikelihood of getting this game represented aside, this character could present an interesting gameplay concept. Splattering the ground with paint and maintaining stage control could enable the character to utilize his/her squid form and move much faster. The character could use squid form, paint splatter and paint bombs as specials and use paint to positively impact your own mobility while hindering that of your opponents. This could result in a unique playstyle and help promote the new game. What do you think?
Moveset ideas:
B: Squid swim - Turns into Squid form and can move along ground. Fast if traveling through own ink, slow otherwise. Can be canceled. Can change direction.
B side: Paint roller - Pulls out paint roller to attack. Leaves a trail of paint behind.
B up: Super jump - Launches self high into air. Can attack afterward.
B down: Ink grenade - Pulls out Ink grenade that splatters ink everywhere. Functions similarly to Link's bombs.
Final Smash: Ink nuke - Covers stage in ink while dealing damage to anyone caught in the blast radius.
Jab: Ink shot - Shoots a glob of ink that arcs downward similar to Link's arrows. Can be rapid-fired. All globs of ink can be eliminated by attacking them, and also disappear after a set amount of time. Globs slightly reduce opponents' movement speed and increase own speed.
F-tilt: Ink shot while moving, like Megaman
U-tilt: Upward tentacle swipe
D-tilt: Downward tentacle swipe
F-smash: Sniper shot - Shoots sniper rifle forward towards the ground. The scope moves away from the Inkling along the ground as it is charged
U-smash: Bazooka Launch - Fires paint mortar upward before coming back down, like Snake's U-smash
D-smash: Bazooka Blast - Fires bazooka downward to splatter paint on both sides of the Inkling
N-air: Ink shot in air
F-air: Forward tentacle strike
B-air: Backward dual-hit tentacle strike
U-air: Upward flip kick
D-air: Downward tentacle slam. Spikes.
Dash Attack: Squid Strike - Turns into a squid and dives along ground. Goes much farther over painted area.
Supporters List:
HeavyLobster
The Driller Juggernaut
Saberwuf238
legendofrob1
L. Lawliet
Fogbadge
Sobreviviente
Zzuxon
BluePikmin11
Altais
Wanderer from Roseyard
Cheezey Bites
RyanCE
sunshinesan
N0ble1
Pacack
Inawordyes
Brickbuild101
Kamiko
egaddmario
Headcrab Jackalope
EchoesOfRain
Raeteh
The Cero Kelvin
Reila
Oracle_Summon
GM_3826
Davidreamcatcha
greenluigiman2
KenithTheGatherer
Really Shy Guy
WonderSmash
Mamp
Yoshi-Thomas
TCT~Phantom
Smashiny
R.O.B
Dezeray112
9Volt
andimidna
Mega Hawlucha
Yuchi
WingedSnagret
Weeginji
Maraphy
Nintendotard
TORNADO BUS DRIVER
Spazzy_D
BeatNninja
Armlesspuppeteer09
Mamp
Chauzu
Princess Toady
Homelessvagrant
Rosalina
Crap-Zapper
woopyfrood
Flaxr XIII
Banjo-Kazooie
Moon Monkey
Jave
YoshiadnToad
Chromvoy
Kevandre
RadRedi
dimensionsword64
The Salamander Within
Itty Bit
SS-bros14
Nap1400
SonicSmasher1
Originality
Nintykid
SG9000
Sonsa
RaccoonBL
Erotic&Heretic
JamesDNaux
Strider_Bond00J
TechPowah
toadster101
SuperLittleTY
smashkirby
Rosalina
cephalopod17
BakaCirno
energonkid
Maxoxpower
AwesomeCauliflower68
Mikegamer0608
Laniv
GaroMaster
Marakatu
BoN~
AvionFinch
Bradli Wartooth
WhiteEaglePL
Sakuraichu
Dirty Duck
VGamer01
LordCQ
PreedReve
StarKun
bksbestbwoy
shuun
HylianHeroBigBoss
PrettyIvyPearls22
Asian_Charizard
RaenUE
POKEMANSPIKA
Graizen
kylexv
yani
Amiiben
Creativion
DoodleDuck97
Narth
MintChipper
ikke471
Shuriblur
Keybladeguy
SneakyLink
CrusherMania1592
Update: With Mewtwo confirmed and future DLC a possibility, it looks as if there's a real chance of Inkling getting in to promote the new game, which is scheduled to come out in the second quarter of 2015.(actually pretty close to the timeframe when Mewtwo is supposed to be released) Reggie has even stated in this article that Nintendo hopes for Splatoon to revolutionize the shooter genre in the same way Mario Kart revolutionized the racing genre, so I'm sure they'll want to make sure it gets as much exposure as possible. So what do you think? Is Smash DLC in the future of Nintendo's newest heroes?
Also, for those of you who'd like to discuss Splatoon in general and not just potential Smash representation, you can try out this site. http://squidboards.freeforums.net/
Edit: Now you can vote for any DLC character you want. Cast your vote now at the link below! Select your region and go to the Smash bros ballot contest. Let's make the dream a reality!
http://www.smashbros.com/
I know there are edits, but is it possible to change the tense of this article? Statements such as 'recently announced game' make the thread sound like an untrustworthy discussion outlet for a character who has been around for fifteen months.

Top Bottom