• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Inkling for Smash! Let's Make Like Squid and Migrate!

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
That's awesome to hear about their sales. I'm confident we'll get alts with different skin tones for Splatoon, especially since character customization is crucial to the game. While I never finished W101, I think the game's underrated.

Not trying to take anything away from Splatoon's success, but more people probably had Wii U's when Splatoon launched versus Smash Bros. Regardless, if Splatoon is outpacing Smash Bros, Nintendo might rethink some of their development strategies and take bigger risks with new IPs and existing franchises.
You are right, but the difference isn't that meaningful since the Wii U sales are extremely mediocre.
They sold how much?
1k = 1000. So...

Btw, your avatar fits your question perfectly xD

Jazzhand

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jazzhand
3DS FC
2767-1532-6118
dammit... now i want w101assist trophy.

as in final smash tier assist. anything less is just plain wrong.

as for the suggestion that octolings are built different. They are described as being able to do anything an Inkling can and when played against they move with the same agility and accuracy. Absolutely no reason to differentiate them.

Last edited:

Reila

Most images above are broken. I second these two anyways

The first one I "support" as long as there's also a female dark skinned Inkling (and not that one with the ugly pink cap, please)

I still think Octoling should be a clone btw

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Most images above are broken.
They should be fine, perhaps reload the page?
I second these two anyways

The first one I "support" as long as there's also a female dark skinned Inkling (and not that one with the ugly pink cap, please)
I don't mind the cap. Either way, it's only there because I couldn't find (official) artwork for that one without the cap. :p
I still think Octoling should be a clone btw
I'd be down for that -- as long as it was actually different from the Inkling in a significant way, like, say, Roy is. Basing this off of my Inkling moveset, here's how I picture the Octoling:
  • Stronger but less rapid-fire "Octoshot" in place of the Splattershot
  • Octobrush in place of the Splat Roller, which leaves a thin trail of ink and deals less damage but is faster and leads into combos better; also lacks the meteor smash on startup
  • Super Jump deals damage, but travels less distance
  • Splat Bomb can't be activated at will, and explodes over time instead, but is more powerful
  • Most standards, aerials, smashes, and grab game are different, due to them not using most Inkling weapons and having different head tentacles
Basically, they'd be stronger, but trickier to use and slower. The focus is less on spreading ink and more on being aggressive, although the ink can help out a bit. The ink doesn't stay around as long, though, and it's easier to destroy -- they're not as good as ink-laying as the Inklings, making them super jealous. Rather than a long-term investment like the Inkling's ink, the Octoling uses ink as a short-term investment, placing it down specifically for one play, combo, approach, or whatever. They're also a bit heavier, but have a worse recovery, since they lack the Inkling's tether recovery and have a shorter Super Jump. (if you have no idea what I'm talking about, go read my Inkling moveset real quick)

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

I don't mind the cap. Either way, it's only there because I couldn't find (official) artwork for that one without the cap. :p

I'd be down for that -- as long as it was actually different from the Inkling in a significant way, like, say, Roy is. Basing this off of my Inkling moveset, here's how I picture the Octoling:
  • Octobrush in place of the Splat Roller, which leaves a thin trail of ink and deals less damage but is faster and leads into combos better; also lacks the meteor smash on startup
  • Splat Bomb can't be activated at will, and explodes over time instead, but is more powerful
  • Most standards, aerials, smashes, and grab game are different, due to them not using most Inkling weapons and having different head tentacles
Basically, they'd be stronger, but trickier to use and slower. The focus is less on spreading ink and more on being aggressive, although the ink can help out a bit. The ink doesn't stay around as long, though, and it's easier to destroy -- they're not as good as ink-laying as the Inklings, making them super jealous. Rather than a long-term investment like the Inkling's ink, the Octoling uses ink as a short-term investment, placing it down specifically for one play, combo, approach, or whatever. They're also a bit heavier, but have a worse recovery, since they lack the Inkling's tether recovery and have a shorter Super Jump. (if you have no idea what I'm talking about, go read my Inkling moveset real quick)
so youre saying they should be a separate character?

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
I like the Inklings with the beanie hats, so I'd use the green and yellow ones. I feel like they'd use a different hat or clothing for all of the different colors except for the default boy/girl Inklings based on the Robin and Villager costumes.

Last edited:

Reila

so youre saying they should be a separate character?
Ideally, they should be. Splatoon is strong enough of a IP to have two characters in Smash, assuming one of them is a clone or semi-clone. Obviously I am not expecting the Inklings and Octolings, but one can dream.

Nice ideas! Ideally the Inklings and Octolings would be considerably distinct like Fox and Wolf are, but I would be fine with the Octolings being more cloney like Falco is. Hopefully they wouldn't be almost 1:1 clones like Lucina and Dark Pit are, but honestly? I'd be down for that as well :p

Jazzhand

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jazzhand
3DS FC
2767-1532-6118
I'd prefer that, yes. Although I'd be fine with an alt as well.
I'm leaning on alt because I'm getting kinda sick of star fox syndrome.

In any form though Octoling SHOULD cameo with Inkling.

Last edited:

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims

What's Star Fox syndrome? Characters being too similar? Octoling could appear in a victory animation for the Inkling and then get splatted

Jazzhand

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jazzhand
3DS FC
2767-1532-6118

Never... again.

Last edited:

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535

I don't even want them as an alt. For alts we should just have four for female Inkling and four for male Inkling.
I have nothing against the Octolings, but they just seem more suited for a Smash Run enemy or trophy.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
1) Shantae came out before Bomberman.
2) SHANTAE'S SMASHIFIED HEAD HAS BEEN IN MY SIG, BRO
3) I've seen and been very disappointed in Smashified Isaac
4) Personal Problems + Loss of a Computer = No Smashboards
1. I already corrected that.
2. ...Oh.
3. Oh.
4. Oh.

Which version are you disappointed with?

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
This is the new version.
Personally, I think the face is absolutely terrible.
But that's just me.

BTW, I'm not as heavy a supporter of Inklings as before but I still very much think they should be in.
I kinda think they're not that likely for DLC and that they're being saved for Smash 5 (I think they're as close to a lock as you could possibly ever get, tbh)

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
This is the new version.
Personally, I think the face is absolutely terrible.
But that's just me.

BTW, I'm not as heavy a supporter of Inklings as before but I still very much think they should be in.
I kinda think they're not that likely for DLC and that they're being saved for Smash 5 (I think they're as close to a lock as you could possibly ever get, tbh)
That is the ONLY version I saw.
And... I suppose his attire looks fine, but that is some late PS1 tier face structuring and it kills it for me.
While I believe the Inklings have... turf claimed in Smash 5 if they aren't DLC, I still feel they have a strong force to get in now.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Oh!!
In that case.

This is the old face.
It's still not entirely fitting, but I still prefer it greatly. It just needed some slight changes imo.

While I believe the Inklings have... turf claimed in Smash 5 if they aren't DLC, I still feel they have a strong force to get in now.
My reasoning is simply that I have a new theory on how Smash 4's DLC will be handled judging from the characters we have, the Mii costumes and the characters we might get (Shovel Knight).

So, suffice to say I do now think the Mii costumes are a bad sign for them being DLC. But, I am not biased, I feel the same way about King K. Rool, who I could care less about.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
I don't even want them as an alt. For alts we should just have four for female Inkling and four for male Inkling.
I have nothing against the Octolings, but they just seem more suited for a Smash Run enemy or trophy.
Why not have an Octoling on top of the four Inklings? If Little Mac can get eight extra wireframe alts, we can get at least one Octoling. :p

EDIT: On the subject of Mii costumes; remember, Mii costumes do not affect the ballot.

Last edited:

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
Why not have an Octoling on top of the four Inklings? If Little Mac can get eight extra wireframe alts, we can get at least one Octoling. :p
Why not drop all support for the Inklings and splat the ballot with votes for mario using a splattershot jr! He can even transform into a blooper!!!

Also, vote for Octillery because it is an octoling!!

Evidence of their rapidly building support:

:troll: Yeah.... Got bored after waking up and somehow thought of this

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Why not drop all support for the Inklings and splat the ballot with votes for a grandpa with a sniper-cane!! He can even transform into a Crabby Cake Crunching Godzilla (not really though)

Also, vote for Octillery because it is an octoling!!

Evidence of their rapidly building support:

:troll: Yeah.... Got bored after waking up and somehow thought of this
Fixed for the Rolento of Nintendo.

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
Ideally, they should be. Splatoon is strong enough of a IP to have two characters in Smash, assuming one of them is a clone or semi-clone. Obviously I am not expecting the Inklings and Octolings, but one can dream.
One thing I could see happening is Sakurai starts developing Inkling as being four alts for the Girl and four alts for the Boy (like WFT and Villager are right now), but later decides to give them the Marthcina/Pits treatment and making Inkling Girl and Inkling Boy separate characters with slight differences in their moveset and weaponry(Girl is faster and has better range, Boy hits harder and is heavier).

If this happened as DLC, I would expect them both to be sold together, along with a Splatoon stage.

IceAnt573

Smash Journeyman
There are certainly enough weapons, sub-weapons, specials, etc. in Splatoon to make like 5 characters.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Inkling Boy and Inkling Girl could work. I doubt it'd actually happen, but I'd be interested to see how they differentiate them. There are certainly many different playstyles that you could make for an Inkling based on Splatoon's mechanics and weapons.

Sirlinkerz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
linkerz999
We only have a month left

I have to start rolling out stuff soon, I'd really appreciate any help guys, I'd love to see artwork! But, mostly I'll do some promoting in Splatoon and Smash Miiverse to catch undecided votes for anyone. People love amazing artwork, they eat it up.

Jazzhand

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jazzhand
3DS FC
2767-1532-6118
Hey supporters.

There's only one more month to go for the ballot, and I'm curious to hear your thoughts on every character people want in Smash:

http://smashboards.com/threads/individual-character-poll-poll-finale-extravaganza.410404/
Hundreds of votes have been cast. If you haven't voted yet please do. Thanks. :)

Spreading the word would be appreciated. :)
been spamming youtube comment threads with this.

seriously, this is the push that really matters the most.

also my custom inkling mii gunner is ready to go (and the mii gunner amiibo pre-ordered) with the ink girl base painted in 3 layers and shades of blue to replicate a mario sunshine oily kinda ink look.

Painting the base 1 shade of blue makes the base just look like a blue base as opposed to the inkling girl looking like she's in enemy ink. So I had to get creative (was a messy paint job though).

Now when the Mii gunner arrives should I paint the mii gunner base (outer base that the inkling figure will slot into) too?

Also thinking of using pva glue to replicate ink's gloopiness. But I'm kinda scared that I'll ruin the model. So currently experimenting whether I can paint dried PVA glue. Might have to repaint the figure base an 8th time. uuuuuuuuuuuugh... I sorta hope my experiment fails but if it does succeed it will look better in the long run.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
been spamming youtube comment threads with this.

also my custom inkling mii gunner is ready to go (and the mii gunner amiibo pre-ordered) with the ink girl base painted in 3 layers and shades of blue to replicate a mario sunshine oily kinda ink look.

Painting the base 1 shade of blue makes the base just look like a blue base as opposed to the inkling girl looking like she's in enemy ink. So I had to get creative (was a messy paint job though).

Now when the Mii gunner arrives should I paint the mii gunner base (outer base that the inkling figure will slot into) too?

Also thinking of using pva glue to replicate ink's gloopiness. But I'm kinda scared that I'll ruin the model. So currently experimenting whether I can paint dried PVA glue. Might have to repaint the figure base an 8th time. uuuuuuuuuuuugh... I sorta hope my experiment fails but if it does succeed it will look better in the long run.
I am extremely grateful for you sharing it on YouTube. Bless you man.

Sirlinkerz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
linkerz999
The push we need is everyone actively participating in getting attention to us as needed. I just finished up a Smash Ballot Inkling drawing on Miiverse right now, I hope everyone really helps this one last push!

miiverse1monthleft.png

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHkap-4eZw

I hope everyone helps with their own stuff too!

Edit: Here's my source for the miiverse drawing

Inkling.(Splatoon).full.1883108.jpg

Last edited:

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535

EDIT: On the subject of Mii costumes; remember, Mii costumes do not affect the ballot.
Well, the reason Little Mac has that many is because they're wireframes. They were probably very easy to make.

Top Bottom