• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - CEO 2014 Initial questions thread by Jebailey

CEOJebailey

The People's Organizer
Hey everyone,

I'm currently at SCR2014 in California but once I get back to Florida I'll start posting more threads here.

Til then if you have any questions about CEO feel free to ask here.

Jebailey

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
Well, let's start with something basic to get the ball rolling.

What does it mean for CEO to now be sponsored by Smashboards, exactly?

Equal

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iiEqual
3DS FC
2036-7236-5480
What's your favorite Smash game?
What character(s) do you main?
What color is the stream overlay going to be?

TSM ZeRo

Banned via Administration
Yeah, I second the question about Brawl. Brawl can definitely get a showing at the tournament, and both Melee and Brawl can be ran on the same system (Wii). Besides, the south east has a pretty big Brawl scene!

Эикельманн [РУС]

is this tournament friendly to players who have never went to a tournament before?
I'm not Alex Jebailey, but I can personally say yes, absolutely. As a member of the team that will be assisting Jebailey in organising and hosting the Melee portion of CEO, I can assure you that our events are 100% new-competitor friendly. Not only will you have an amazing time competing amongst many players around your level, but you'll have a chance at playing with and learning from the best players in Florida. In the event that you're knocked out of the tournament, there will be several CRTs dedicated specifically to free play where you can hone your skills and even prepare for your tournament matches.

CEO 2014 will be the pinnacle of Melee for Florida. This is an event that you want to attend.

XXXX1000

Smash Apprentice
who do you main in divekick? is it you? I main you!

Also, what do you think lies in the future for Melee within the FGC? Your event has Melee confirmed as a streamable event, but EVO does not - did you have any problems confirming Melee in your lineup? Do you think securing melee as a standard FGC event for other tournaments will get easier with time?

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599

Also, what do you think lies in the future for Melee within the FGC? Your event has Melee confirmed as a streamable event, but EVO does not - did you have any problems confirming Melee in your lineup? Do you think securing melee as a standard FGC event for other tournaments will get easier with time?
I am not Jefailey Alex, but basically I see this:
2013 was the start of a beautiful friendship, as Smash is now considered a part of the fgc. And with guys link Justin Wong wanting Melee at EVO and Maximilian planning on using Smash 4 as a jumping point to enter the tournament scene, it's only gonna get better.

Also Melee technically does have a slot at EVO, it's just in limbo since they want to get Nintendo involved as well.

TopTierPichu

Smash Ace
I'm not Alex Jebailey, but I can personally say yes, absolutely. As a member of the team that will be assisting Jebailey in organising and hosting the Melee portion of CEO, I can assure you that our events are 100% new-competitor friendly. Not only will you have an amazing time competing amongst many players around your level, but you'll have a chance at playing with and learning from the best players in Florida. In the event that you're knocked out of the tournament, there will be several CRTs dedicated specifically to free play where you can hone your skills and even prepare for your tournament matches.

CEO 2014 will be the pinnacle of Melee for Florida. This is an event that you want to attend.
im assuming that also goes for PM? but does it also go far any of the other games offered?

Nezzly

Smash Rookie

Mooney you god damn salesman

Last edited:

TreK

Is "that guy"
Why arent you running brawl? Maybe you could run it at the pre CEO event and see how big the turn out is.
Hmm, can't answer for him, but he asked on the MIOM facebook page if people would prefer PM or Brawl since he could only host one of them
And let's just say that this facebook page is kind of, a teeny tiny bit, undiscernably biased towards PM rather than Brawl. Ahem.
(although iirc he said he'd attend an event for both games in Florida to see by himself)

Last edited:

CEOJebailey

The People's Organizer
Well, let's start with something basic to get the ball rolling.

What does it mean for CEO to now be sponsored by Smashboards, exactly?
It's all about promotion and getting the word out really. It helps let the community know that I'm very serious about running a quality tournament from start to finish and with the support of Smashboards in a big way it gets the word out about the amazing Smash community in Florida.

CEOJebailey

The People's Organizer

In the New Divekick Addition Edition version coming out as a free download sometime soon for PS3/Steam/Vita users I'll be sticking to strictly Jefailey. He got quite a few buffs and he's an extremely viable character in all matchups now.

CEO is still a community run event and not the big time like EVO or MLG. I've had no issues streaming Smash at previous CEO events and unless Nintendo contacts me things will move forward.
CEO is streaming 11 different games and trying to contact each and every company for direct permission always gets muddled around and delayed with decisions. VGBootcamp will be the main Smash streamer and he's had no issues streaming Smash consistently for years now. If any problems arise which I don't foresee happening the community will be the first to know it.

Last edited:

CEOJebailey

The People's Organizer
What's your favorite Smash game?
What character(s) do you main?
What color is the stream overlay going to be?
Melee although after playing Project M I'm starting to really enjoy it.
Peach in Both Melee/Project M, played a ton of Brawl at first using Zelda until every tourney I entered I'd get destroyed by every single MetaKnight which totally turned me off to the game. I played a little bit of Diddy Kong as well.
No idea, we don't play overlays that far in advance, whatever it ends up being it's gonna look pretty just like previous CEO overlays.

CEOJebailey

The People's Organizer
Yeah, I second the question about Brawl. Brawl can definitely get a showing at the tournament, and both Melee and Brawl can be ran on the same system (Wii). Besides, the south east has a pretty big Brawl scene!
I reached out to my local community for CEO to see which games wanted hosting and pretty much 90% of players requested Melee and Project M. Barely any for Brawl. I always go with my gut feeling on quality turnouts and what I can support stream wise. Would be impossible for CEO to stream all 3 games in a single weekend the way I want them to be streamed equally.
Lack of Brawl turnout in other events locally in comparison to Melee and Project M pretty much made the decision easier for me to not host it. Sorry about that but sticking to my guns on main focus being Melee and Project M.
Casual setups at the event are more than welcome for Brawl if provided by the community.

CEOJebailey

The People's Organizer
is this tournament friendly to players who have never went to a tournament before?
100% Yes, for other fighting games at the past CEO's we've seen a huge increase in first time FGC tournament goers that love their experience. I always do my best to allow the most time possible for casuals during the weekend so people can simply have fun playing when they're not competing in the tournament.

Venue is the 2nd largest in the FGC behind EVO's so it's spacious with plenty of fun things to do and see. If you come once, you'll make it a point to attend every year.

CEOJebailey

The People's Organizer

In the New Divekick Addition Edition version coming out as a free download for PS3/Steam/Vita users I'll be sticking to strictly Jefailey. He got quite a few buffs and he's an extremely viable character in all matchups now.
im assuming that also goes for PM? but does it also go far any of the other games offered?
I do my best to treat all games hosted at CEO equally, Obviously bigger turnouts warrant more stream time or later finals time slots, but this year I plan to provide an amazing prize for ALL 11 games. When all the communities see what I have in store I'm pretty confident players will come out of the woodwork for a chance at the top prize.

TSM ZeRo

I reached out to my local community for CEO to see which games wanted hosting and pretty much 90% of players requested Melee and Project M. Barely any for Brawl. I always go with my gut feeling on quality turnouts and what I can support stream wise. Would be impossible for CEO to stream all 3 games in a single weekend the way I want them to be streamed equally.
Lack of Brawl turnout in other events locally in comparison to Melee and Project M pretty much made the decision easier for me to not host it. Sorry about that but sticking to my guns on main focus being Melee and Project M.
Casual setups at the event are more than welcome for Brawl if provided by the community.
I like this answer a lot, because it means that it's up to the Brawl side of the community to show its presence. I also completely understand why, no need to apologize. I'll network a bit and see what I can do.

MP8

Smash Journeyman
I don't ever go to these events. But my question is what is the difference between the venue fee and a pass? Because if I go, I won't enter, I'll just go to watch and hang out. To just be there, can't I just pay for the pass? I live in Orlando btw.

XXXX1000

Smash Apprentice
Congratulations on the partnership for the Capcom Pro Tour. even though Capcom has been on board with the FGC for awhile this is a big step. But now I have some questions about streaming for CEO:

-Will Capcom be handling the streaming of SF4 themselves, or are they outsourcing it to Sp00ky / LevelUp / you guys / someone else?

-Will the Capcom Pro Tour affect event times at CEO? As in, will Capcom be deciding the stream schedule, and is it possible that SF4 Finals will be streamed during other games' finals? I think it'd be really terrible if you were forced to squeeze any other game alongside SF4, but I'm curious as to if that's your decision. Actually, on top of that, will your event be streaming Top 16 for SF4 since the top 16 all get ranking points towards the Capcom Cup, or just do the standard Top 8?

-If Capcom is requiring SF4 to be shown on their own stream, will SF4 be pushed to the end, will we have to watch all other games on one stream, then have to switch to capcomfighters to see SF4?

CEOJebailey

The People's Organizer
I don't ever go to these events. But my question is what is the difference between the venue fee and a pass? Because if I go, I won't enter, I'll just go to watch and hang out. To just be there, can't I just pay for the pass? I live in Orlando btw.
If you go here www.ceogaming.org/register it'll explain the choices for attending the event.

Venue Fee for Competing players helps cover all the costs of a big hotel ballroom, equipment, staff etc.

Spectator Badges let you attend the event to watch, but also play casual setups and other fun things we have in store this year.

CEOJebailey

The People's Organizer
What kind of setups will Melee/Project M be played on?
CRTs provided by the community. Working on an incentive or a little piece of memorabilia to give everyone that helps bring a setup that only they will get.

Even though I initially discovered how well the Avermedia LGP could take a Wii and convert playing melee onto an EVO monitor or monitor with HDMI without lag, it's much easier to just get CRT's than to worry about any of those malfunctioning, setting them up via a laptop(They are by default set to taking HDMI systems and not component first.) or just gathering like 60 of those PLUS Monitors which is like $400 worth of equipment.

Last edited:

CEOJebailey

The People's Organizer
Congratulations on the partnership for the Capcom Pro Tour. even though Capcom has been on board with the FGC for awhile this is a big step. But now I have some questions about streaming for CEO:

-Will Capcom be handling the streaming of SF4 themselves, or are they outsourcing it to Sp00ky / LevelUp / you guys / someone else?

-Will the Capcom Pro Tour affect event times at CEO? As in, will Capcom be deciding the stream schedule, and is it possible that SF4 Finals will be streamed during other games' finals? I think it'd be really terrible if you were forced to squeeze any other game alongside SF4, but I'm curious as to if that's your decision. Actually, on top of that, will your event be streaming Top 16 for SF4 since the top 16 all get ranking points towards the Capcom Cup, or just do the standard Top 8?

-If Capcom is requiring SF4 to be shown on their own stream, will SF4 be pushed to the end, will we have to watch all other games on one stream, then have to switch to capcomfighters to see SF4?
Great Questions and I can answer them pretty much honestly.

Capcom will be outsourcing a few community members to help with their stream which I'm not sure who exactly yet but working with Neidel(Haunts) and the Capcom stream last year everything went extremely smoothly. They have a lot of events to now stream for SF4 so I know they'll get all the help they need starting with the FGC members first.

Honestly, all games will continue to run like normal like previous years. We decide the stream schedule together. Our goal is to not interfere with other games throughout the weekend as much as possible.
on Friday Fightermania II will be on the CEOgaming stream. Also will have 2 more streams throughout the weekend to showcase as much as possible. My goal is to have everything completed on other streams and finals day without hurting finals. Some finals with smaller numbers in attendance will be streamed on Saturday as well.

Sunday will have no more than 6 finals total streamed so that way we can end the weekend with ULTRA SF4 finals on Capcom's stream. So a Switch will be necessary, but Sunday will have All Finals on CEOGaming throughout the day until USF4's finals start on Capcom's Stream.

To Recap, 4 Streams throughout the weekend, Capcom will stream strictly USF4 all Day Saturday for pools on their channel then conclude CEO 2014 with USF4 top 16 on Sunday after all other finals are done and let's be honest SF4 has always concluded CEO since 2010 because it has always had the largest turnout. Before people ask Smash could possibly have an even bigger turnout but with both MLG and EVO nearby, people are starting to forget I think that CEO even exists lol. CEO, VG Bootcamp(All things Smash on his channel until Finals on CEOGaming) and FunkyP will handle everything else throughout the weekend.

I work really hard with scheduling every year on both live tournament starts/finish as well as the stream schedule. So far everything has fallen into place for CEO this year to be a great experience for at home viewers, but nothing is like experiencing it live.

Last edited:

Dinowulf

Smash Journeyman
I've been checking out your videos off YouTube and I'm highly impressed with the effort your putting in (new to Florida). I know this may be a silly question as I've never been to a major tournament. Does that $45 dollar fee cover any of the tournaments I want to play in. Pm/melee/cvs2? Or am I paying three seperate prices?

Also would it be possible for melee crew battles? Coming all the way from Pensacola. I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row...quack

CEOJebailey

The People's Organizer
I've been checking out your videos off YouTube and I'm highly impressed with the effort your putting in (new to Florida). I know this may be a silly question as I've never been to a major tournament. Does that $45 dollar fee cover any of the tournaments I want to play in. Pm/melee/cvs2? Or am I paying three seperate prices?

Also would it be possible for melee crew battles? Coming all the way from Pensacola. I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row...quack
If you register Before April 7th, you only pay $35 for the venue fee and then yes it's an additional $10 per game you wish to enter since that goes into the prize pots. After April 7th, Venue fee goes up to $45

I know Cherry the man in charge of Smash at CEO is trying to setup crew battles, it's just always so hard to coordinate stuff like that with so many people having to be somewhere at once. Be prepared for doubles though since I'm pretty sure that will happen.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
IS there a championship belt to be won? that might get Mango motivated lol and the ring is too hype. I hope Scar goes to this just to play up the wrestling ring trash talk. People's Elbow!

Tero.

Smash Champion
Not a question, but I absolutely love you for what you are doing for the Smash scene. Thank you, CEO looks awesome, I wish I could attend.

Question: (ignore if already answered, didn't read the whole topic) What was your connection to the Smash Community pre EVO 2013? I see your smashboards account being registered in 2008. What made you support Melee/PM at your events?

CEOJebailey

The People's Organizer
Not a question, but I absolutely love you for what you are doing for the Smash scene. Thank you, CEO looks awesome, I wish I could attend.
promoting other Smash local events and then with
Question: (ignore if already answered, didn't read the whole topic) What was your connection to the Smash Community pre EVO 2013? I see your smashboards account being registered in 2008. What made you support Melee/PM at your events?
I've been playing Smash since the original on N64. When Melee first came out I placed high in a lot of smaller local events and such with Peach so I've been within the community for many many years. 2008 I joined here again to help with promoting CEO 2010 as well with Plank when he helped me host it.

I started Supporting Smash again recently because of the local community really stepping it up through Raging Cherry and the UCF Gaming Knights Video Game Club. CEO is getting really big now(2,000 attendees last year) so I can no longer do everything on my own with a small staff. Whenever a community steps up and really takes a big leadership role I jump right behind it and make sure they get the recognition and opportunity they deserve.

Эикельманн [РУС]

For reference, UCF is the University of Central Florida. UCF is Orlando's premier university with over 50,000 students, some 200 of those students being part of the Gaming Knights club. Rest assured that Gaming Knights will do their part in making sure that Melee and PM at CEO 2014 are run exceptionally!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/GamingKnightsAtUCF
Check us out if you have Facebook. :)

Zach777

Smash Journeyman
First question
What does CEO stand for?

Did you hear about the two Brawl local touneys that got 128 entrants?

November 2013

Sorry, I looked for the Christmas one but I couldn't find the video.[/URL][/URL]

Last edited:
Top Bottom