• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

In sports, what do you believe...

CaptHappyFace

Smash Apprentice
What do you believe is the biggest rivalry in any sport? As in between 2 teams?

Like the Devils and Rangers.

I just believe this because no matter where I go on any Hockey Fan page it's always making fun of eachother's team.

Explain why, I'm curious.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
Where I'm from it's Ohio State/Michigan. I'm a Buckeye fan over a Wolverine fan. Was awsome to watch the Toledo Rockets (Alma Matar) beat the Wolverines. Ohio State should wallop on Michigan at the Shoe.

In the pros there are many permanent ones like as mentioned earlier Browns/Steelers. There's also:

Red Sox/Yankees
Red Wings/Avalance
Celtics/Lakers

Basketball's rivalries however tend to come and go like fads. In the 90's it was Pacers/Bulls when it came down to playoffs. Then it became the Pacers/Pistons back around 2003-2005. Now I'd say it's primarily Suns/Spurs and possibly Spurs/Lakers. Used to be Lakers/Kings to some degree around 2000-2002.

JLynn943

Smash Ace
I'm not a fan of either team, but Red Sox vs Yankees has to be the biggest. Both teams are very popular nation-wide, so the rivalry is everywhere, unlike college rivalries.

Plus, both teams are usually good, so games between them are not only important for the rivalry, but they matter for which one makes the playoffs.

Other big ones:
Bruins/Canadiens
Mets/Phillies
Lakers/Celtics
OSU/Michigan

and of course Lehigh vs Lafayette :D (ok, so maybe not, but it's the longest, most played rivalry in college football history)

Sporkman

Smash Ace
Americans in failing to look outside the states SHOCKER!

The worst I can think of at the moment are football ones:

Boca Juniors and River Plate (Argentina)

Dinamo Zagreb and Hajduk Split (Croatia)
Considered the most violent rivalry, funny thing is, they used to be friends...

Barcelona and Espanyol

Barcelona and Real Madrid
El Clásico! Moving from one rival to another straight switch is pretty much a sin in football, Luis Figo went from Barcelona to Real Madrid. When going over to take a corner in one the derbies, someone threw a pigs head at him.

In the UK the big ones are

Manchester United and Liverpool
Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur
Rangers and Celtic

All of which get pretty heated, especially 1 & 3 but I don't think they match that of the ones I mentioned outside of the UK.

Blooqkazoo

Smash Journeyman
Japanese baseball: Hanshin Tigers vs. Yomiuri Giants
The ****ing Giants won the ****ing league ahead like two games!!

Sweet! I'm a smash child now!

Rici

I think I just red myself
BRoomer
NNID
Riciardos
**** you Eor, I was going to say: World vs Germany.

And Sporkman, isn't there kind of a rivalry between Manchester United and Manchester City?

Sporkman

Smash Ace
Yeah, but, well City ... just a wee diddy club. I kid, there's loads of rivalries, but United and Pool for example sing about each others disasters, and have even tried ameliorating some of the terms against them, i.e. Liverpool singing "2-0 to the murderers" and United singing "Where's your famous Munich song". EDIT: Some United fans go as far as to even do the wings (for those that don't know it refers to a plane crash).

Darkslash

Smash Master
Vancouver Canucks with Calgary Flames,Minnesota Wild and Colorado Avalanche. When ever the Canucks meet one of these teams the whole Ice rink looks like its gonna melt.

Blazey

Magical Love Gentleman
BRoomer
Australia vs. England in most sports, especially cricket and rugby. 2005 Ashes series and rugby world cup was a... tense time for Australian international sports fans.

In a more local sense, a massive rivalry in AFL is Collingwood vs. Carlton. IIRC, it goes back to the 30's.

~rh

Smash Lord
Redskins and Cowboys.
May not be all that big, I guess I notice it more since the Redskins are our local team.
Yeah, same here. Even though I'm not a a Redskins fan, I will admit that they go hard.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
Oklahoma vs Texas is a huge rivalry in the south that takes place during the state fair. its been around for over 100 years, which is **** long for college football

Top Bottom