• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

In Search of Wisdom: We Badly Need Zelda Feedback for BBrawl!

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
If you don't know what BBrawl is, we're that unofficial balance patch project. No, we're not Brawl+ or any of those guys, and I'll shank anybody who asks. All we do is character rebalance, no changes to physics or hitbox size or any of that jazz. If you want a link, http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=246327

This isn't a spam or advertising post, Zelda is the *only* character getting this topic. Here's the situation:

Zelda has been a problem. Not a huge problem--we think she's close to good right now. The issue is that we don't know, because it's almost impossible to get good Zelda feedback. Zelda is one of the characters with very few strong mains, and I don't personally know *any* of them! Since Zelda has needed a lot of work on our end, that's an issue.

The story so far:

Regardless of how low you think Zelda actually is or isn't, one think has become clear: Zelda is the character most resistant to buffing in the game. You could double the damage on some of her moves, and she would still have the same problems--even Ganondorf is better in this regard!

The root of this seems to be that most of Zelda's moves are actually quite good, but only in a specific context. This seems to make the entire character end up predictable and with limited options, even if the pieces look good (or can be buffed to look good) individually. However, being BBrawl we are still trying to stick to original Brawl as much as possible. As a result, working on Zelda has been a lot of work:

F-tilt

Even as a non-Zelda main, it was obvious early on that Zelda struggled against shields and would need something fundamental to overcome this. After deciding it was the best place to try adding shield pressure, f-tilt's cooldown was speeded up to be about 10 frames less. This is a very big deal for us, because we really really don't like doing timing changes if we don't have to--we'd prefer to stick to damage and knockback where possible, in ways that do not require players to play any differently from normal Brawl. (That's really important to the idea of BBrawl...)

Anyway, f-tilt is now pretty safe on shield and sends enemies above Zelda, linking to u-smash. It's a legitimately good move and of great value to Zelda, the first big step towards improving her overall package.

Other Ground Moves

First we added a bit of extra knockback to d-smash. Then we made it (almost) impossible to SDI out u/f-smash. We also slightly raised the angle u-tilt hits at, so it kills slightly sooner and is less affected by DI.

The knockback of jab was adjusted, and extra shield damage was added. This made jab even better on shields, and made it almost combo into f-tilt tipper. As sort of an easter egg we've also always had Zelda's jab as flower element, which ends up doing an extra point of damage sometimes. (Cooties?)

Farore's Wind

The first part of Farore's Wind is a little stronger, so it will send enemies into the second part at damage levels around ~100%. The second part now spikes, and given 2 frames of intangibility to prevent clashing. Hitting someone on-stage with this would bounce them into a u-smash or u-tilt, which is pretty fun.

Misc.

Most attempts to improve any of Zelda's aerials ended up stupid, changed them too much, or both. We did however add 2% damage to nair. Finally, we gave a small knockback increase to b-throw.

So with all this Zelda was pretty decent; a viable character by herself and more able to get easy kills on 100% opponents if coming in from Sheik. However, our collected data showed that on average Zelda was considered the worst character in BBrawl by some slight margins.

Where we're going from here:

I have two big concerns with Zelda right now that I can't resolve without expertise.

D-tilt

Zelda's d-tilt is a problem move. In BBrawl we like to fix crappy moves that are unsafe on hit, and annoyingly good moves that combo into themselves. D-tilt is both.

Assuming we succeed in making Zelda a solid character, d-tilt linking into itself can't stay. The current version of Zelda d-tilt I'm testing has a consistent 4f advantage at all enemy weights and %s--one frame too slow to combo into itself. Frankly, like this it's not a very good move other than the tripping chance. (Note that like this it doesn't pop up at higher %s either.) I really don't know of a solution that would make Zelda happy without making the move really frustrating to fight. Increased trip chance? *Always* pop enemies up? What do you guys think about this?

Nayru's Love

A ton of people have bugged us to somehow buff Din's Fire throughout development; this isn't really a viable path, because by nature of the move it's doomed to be very matchup biased and annoying. Meanwhile, I always considered Nayru's Love fertile ground for helping Zelda--when it was agreed that Zelda needed significant further help this version, I set out to make Nayru's Love useful and awesome.

For the last public release I made Nayru's Love hit inward and freeze. That was really awesome stupid. Back to the drawing board.

After a few experiments, I settled on something subtle but drastic: Zelda retains horizontal control during Nayru's Love. This means that while the blue crystal is visible, Zelda can slide left and right. (Ground or air) She retains the momentum, and can interrupt most of the ending lag with aerials, ground attacks, or a grab. The max total slide distance forward is almost half of FD; the max backwards is about a quarter. Nayru's Love still breaks vertical momentum in the air, and the aerial slide very slightly decreases her fall speed.

The move currently still hits inward, usually dealing anywhere from 6-16%. It launches them upwards a modest amount at the end--not terribly advantageous, but a decent reward for hitting. I'll try and get a video of this up soon.

This new Nayru's Love feels fun to use, and gives Zelda some actual mobility without changing her existing physics. I am hopeful that it turns out to be just what Zelda needs, but can't say for sure. Sliding Nayru's Love: Does it address Zelda's matchup issues?

Suggestions on Feedback

Working on this project has taught me a lot about how to most effectively gather input and feedback on issues. The best feedback is identifying and analyzing problems, not soliciting suggestions. (Luckily the Zelda community is tightly knit and friendly, so we won't have to deal with random people demanding Move X be made super awesome.)

What issues does Zelda face that the current changes might not fully address? Are there any problem matchups that do not gain enough benefit? Are there any matchups that are at risk of becoming too good for Zelda? Does the Nayru's Love change fit into her playstyle well? And what do we need to keep in mind when considering d-tilt?

Any discussion would be great, and I also invite anyone to simply download and offer your first-hand Zelda impressions, especially concerning Nayru's Love. (YOU DO NOT NEED A HACKED WII TO LOAD BBRAWL, JUST AN SD CARD!) Zelda is pretty much the last character to evaluate before our next final release, so I'm hopeful that we can get her in the right place here.

Thanks for reading!

I'd be more then happy to give you some feedback on this matter. Its about time Zelda got something good to happen.

Im confused as to which build you actually want us to download however, it looks as if the newer test builds don't support PAL.

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
We are getting together tonight to smash w/ my "crew" I will ask PchKid to get this on his wii so I can see what I think about Zelda first hand. Sliding Nayru's is actually something I have said Zelda should have to improve balance. Although it won't be anything spectacular it will giver her a new approach option which she needs.

After/if I play tonight I will tell what I think.

Edit: You didn't change the startup/cooldown on Farore's? That is one her biggest problems with that move. Players have a lot of time from when the move starts to simply hit her out of it... and again... and again. Most Zelda's try not to use that move often because of the startup and cooldown.

Adding 2% damage to nair. Is that all that changed with nair? It's not a bad move currently, but most of the time people DI out before the last hit. I would either add more damage to each hit, or make it harder to DI out.

Random changes I think would be nice:
- Make it so her Dair can sweetspot people who are grounded. It currently can't and it really doesn't make sense. You should be able to sweetspot with that move..
- This one is weird but here we go: Maybe make her up air push her downwards kind of like Ivysaurs. I also just kinda felt like a supernova like that would push her downward. This would allow a character that typically falls slowly to push herself downward in select situations and would make chasing people with it on stage more interesting.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Sorry, there isn't a .pac File Replacement code that I know of yet, so we can't publish a PAL version. (Yet!)

Edit: You didn't change the startup/cooldown on Farore's? That is one her biggest problems with that move. Players have a lot of time from when the move starts to simply hit her out of it... and again... and again. Most Zelda's try not to use that move often because of the startup and cooldown.
We've tried to avoid timing changes wherever possible, especially to moves like FW that rely on precision and muscle memory. It would also be a problematic move to make even somewhat spammable. The 2 frames of invincibility on the reappearance is pretty nice though, and the way it hits is a lot more beneficial.

Honestly, if Farore's Wind had to be improved in some other way, I'd be more inclined to test making the hits unblockable than speeding any part of it up.

Adding 2% damage to nair. Is that all that changed with nair? It's not a bad move currently, but most of the time people DI out before the last hit. I would either add more damage to each hit, or make it harder to DI out.
This is some good thoughts, exactly what I'm looking for. Lowering the amount nair can be SDI'd is something that's promising and easy to investigate.

Random changes I think would be nice:
- Make it so her Dair can sweetspot people who are grounded. It currently can't and it really doesn't make sense. You should be able to sweetspot with that move.
I tried this when first looking at Zelda... and it's ugly. Like, "this isn't Zelda" ugly. Thunderstorming on crack ugly. With normal Brawl physics, I was able to consistently land 5-6 repeat sweetspot dairs on people. Zelda just has a wider autocancel window and more room for aerial adjustment than Ganon--it was really obvious why it was disallowed in the first place.

This one is weird but here we go: Maybe make her up air push her downwards kind of like Ivysaurs. I also just kinda felt like a supernova like that would push her downward. This would allow a character that typically falls slowly to push herself downward in select situations and would make chasing people with it on stage more interesting.
Interesting, but there are 2 minor problems with this.

First, it's a somewhat large change for relatively little benefit. If we are going to make a big change like altering character momentum, it had better single-handedly address a lot of the character's matchup problems. We don't want to pollute the game with lots of new junk to learn, that's not BBrawl.

Second, it's not strictly superior. There are some situations where having this downward momentum would be bad for Zelda, possibly preventing her from using uair at times off-stage. It's safe to say this would be uncommon, and the pros would outweigh the cons, but those situations still exist. Players tend to get mad at these sort of changes--as a principle of design we'd prefer to have things be improved in *all* situations wherever possible.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll try to get a video of Nayru's Love up shortly.

There needs to be more PAL love. Seriously <.<

Ah well, I guess the version PAL has atm isn't that bad ^^.

Bandit

Smash Lord
Thinkaman:

I have not played BBrawl, but I will comment on your ideas for changes.

Dtilt is currently Zelda's best move in vBrawl. People who don't play Zelda generally don't understand it, but as the move stales, it trips consistently. It damage racks and combos for kills. It's Zelda's best offensive tool, and I see no reason to do anything to it. Brawl+ doesn't have stale moves, so dtilt doesn't really link into itself anymore. When this happened, dtilt's usefulness was drastically decreased and other moves had to be compensated to give her more offensive weapons.

Project M has a sweet spot on the ground for Dair, and it is far from over powered. It's a slower move that doesn't have a huge hitbox for sweetspotting, so it is not often that this is landed in actual gameplay.

I like ftilt's cool down being decreased (which does make it a useable move now). Here is my comment on the move though. fsmash hits on frame 16 while ftilt hits on frame 12. They both have the same cool down now and have nearly the exact same range. The reason ftilt wasn't used as much in the past was because it took so long to come out, and it presented no advantage over fsmash especially with fsmash being safer on shields. Depending on how much it can combo into other moves at mid% and up will determine its usefulness. Ftilt could always combo into Usmash at low%, but if it doesn't combo into things at mid%, then it is a less powerful fsmash.

The biggest problem with Zelda is that she is a very defensive character with extreme amounts of power. All her moves lend themselves to being defensive with very few exceptions.

MrEh

Smash Hero
People should actually try this before making suggestions.

Just saying. It makes the most sense.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Thanks for the feedback.

On topic of d-tilt, the two issues are that it's unsafe at low %s and links to itself at mid %s. Both of those are not conclusive to balance, in opposite ways.

I might to try implementing a version with the current growth (maybe a bit less), higher base, and slightly increased trip chance. The result should be a move that is never unsafe, and still links at low/mid%s but is more likely to trip.

It's a very tricky move to design around though.

I like ftilt's cool down being decreased (which does make it a useable move now). Here is my comment on the move though. fsmash hits on frame 16 while ftilt hits on frame 12. They both have the same cool down now and have nearly the exact same range. The reason ftilt wasn't used as much in the past was because it took so long to come out, and it presented no advantage over fsmash especially with fsmash being safer on shields. Depending on how much it can combo into other moves at mid% and up will determine its usefulness. Ftilt could always combo into Usmash at low%, but if it doesn't combo into things at mid%, then it is a less powerful fsmash.
This f-tilt combos into u-tilt/smash at almost all %s. It can be DI'd out of, but that's asking for a very quick reactions.

F-smash is still a superior defensive move, given it's longer duration, but f-tilt to u-smash is a similarly safe, more damaging option that's better for offense.

The biggest problem with Zelda is that she is a very defensive character with extreme amounts of power. All her moves lend themselves to being defensive with very few exceptions.
Yep. Yoshi had similar issues, but he didn't have to be improved as much and didn't have as rigidly designed aerials. From the feedback we've got so far though, the Nayru's Love change is succeeding in expanding her approach options a proper amount.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Alright, I think I've got a d-tilt that feels pretty pleasing. It starts a little stronger, and grows more slowly. SDI also affects it 30% more.

Code:
D-tilt frame advantage, Pit as reference:

Old d-tilt:
[COLOR="Red"]10%: -4
20%: -2[/COLOR]
30%: +1
40%: +3
[COLOR="Cyan"]50%: +6
60%: +8
70%: +10[/COLOR]
[COLOR="YellowGreen"]80%: pops Pit up.[/COLOR]

New d-tilt:
0%:  +1
10%: +2
20%: +3
[COLOR="Cyan"]30%: +4
40%: +5
50%: +6
60%: +7
70%: +8
80%: +9
90%: +10
100%:+11[/COLOR]
[COLOR="YellowGreen"]110%:pops Pit up.[/COLOR]
The SDI allows players to escape it from corners.

Any thoughts?

Fuujin

Smash Champion
I think D tilt was fine the way it was, I still think theres SOMETHING that can be done to make Din's less horrible.
Forcing an approach would fit her play style perfectly.
Guess I'm just stubborn.

Bandit

Smash Lord
Dtilt's trip property is what makes it so great which happens consistently when you stale it. Regardless of how you change it, if it still trips, it will still link.

One question: Are these changes being made and talked about because Zelda is now being considered her own character? A-A has been very adament in the past about Zelda and Sheik being one character and all complaining about them being bad is resolved by pressing down B.

@Fuujin

Dins is really good. It just can't be spammed while both players are on the stage. It's one of the best off-stage harassers in the game.

Fuujin

Smash Champion
Dtilt's trip property is what makes it so great which happens consistently when you stale it. Regardless of how you change it, if it still trips, it will still link.

One question: Are these changes being made and talked about because Zelda is now being considered her own character? A-A has been very adament in the past about Zelda and Sheik being one character and all complaining about them being bad is resolved by pressing down B.

@Fuujin

Dins is really good. It just can't be spammed while both players are on the stage. It's one of the best off-stage harassers in the game.
until the opponent learns to airdodge/n air it.
And it just knocks them up helping their recoverys.
Peaches turnips do that better.

Bandit

Smash Lord
Damage is damage. Dins is free damage and if you are allowing your opponent to out think you with dins and can't hit them, shame on you. The hitbox is enormous and you can really play with the timing to screw them up.

Fuujin

Smash Champion
Damage is damage. Dins is free damage and if you are allowing your opponent to out think you with dins and can't hit them, shame on you. The hitbox is enormous and you can really play with the timing to screw them up.
It's pretty obv when she detonates it.
It's useless on Yoshi, Jigglypuff, Peach, Luigi, GnW, Squirtle, Samus, Wario and Kirbys that know the timing.
Even if you manage to hit with it it's like 13-16 damage and helps them recover.
Anyways not the place to argue about it, I'm sure someones made a thread about how much it fails.

Bandit

Smash Lord
It's pretty obv when she detonates it.
It's useless on Yoshi, Jigglypuff, Peach, Luigi, GnW, Squirtle, Samus, Wario and Kirbys that know the timing.
Even if you manage to hit with it it's like 13-16 damage and helps them recover.
Anyways not the place to argue about it, I'm sure someones made a thread about how much it fails.
My only reply to you and I'm done with the subject.

If you think this is a bad projectile, switch to another character. If I play you in real life, I will show you why you are horribly wrong.

/discussion

(sorry for the off-topic stuff)

-----

No sign of thinkaman in a while...

Top Bottom