• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

In need of advice!

Kev!

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, I've been playing Luigi for a while and I finally got one of my games recorded at the local Brawl hangout. (Helpful) comments would be greatly appreciated.

I SD'd in the first game, I believe, and went so over-agressive in the second one that I earned myself a nasty stagespike at around 25%...

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=_BfbA15bjeY

I lost that set, but I believe I could've won it if I had more experience playing Lucario... (I only recently started playing with a competitive crowd.) But I believe you guys will be able to help me more by seeing me screw up rather than destroy some random scrub.

I'm having a hard time efficiently approaching some characters, mostly projectile-users and I tend to "jump into the ****" to a certain degree IMO.

Thanks in advance for your help!

LouBega

Smash Journeyman
remember that you have kill moves. you gotta kill lucario as early as possible because he only gets stronger. don't wait until 140 to throw out some up-angled fsmashes. can also kill him early with jab to up b, but i'm sure you know that... it is really hard to approach lucario (or any projectile character), but you seemed to be doing okay at that with tornados and double aerials. you do a lot of fairs, which i really don't think is that great of an approach because of it's short range. i prefer doing dairs as i approach or double bairs. you did pretty well whenever you down-threw him, so you probably should have tried to get more grabs off. remember that jab to grab works pretty well. ummmm...if he's got you in the air, throw out a nair. overall you didn't look too bad. just keep at it. try to move a lot quicker, i don't know, maybe it's just me, but you seemed kind of slow. maybe not...

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1
Try not to charge smash attacks., especially if they're on stage.Committing to an attack could get you in serious trouble. You might be able to get in a couple on an over-aggressive player, but an aerial or grab depending on the situation would be much better

Also, Pink Luigi is too good :D

Kev!

Smash Journeyman
You have without a doubt, the sexiest pink siggy on this board. That is all. Lol more later lazy to critique.
Thanks, pink Luigi is crazy-awesome. And thank for the comments, I foud them very useful so far.

I originally decided to main Luigi the first time I saw a Brawl game (had played him in SSB and Meelee, but only as an alt)... I saw the way the UpB flips him upside-down, the up-taunt and the SideB (essentially unchanged since Melee) and my mind was set before I even saw the character selection screen...

Then I started wanting to play MK...

...Then I got bored of playing him, saw videos of Boss, TheMann, yourself and a few other Luigi players and I decided I can only get better from here on :D

vKo

Smash Cadet
It seems as though you forgot the >smash and all the other kill moves exist (aerial chop NOT being one of them).
You know how to rack up the damage..
Just finish em off.

Down smash is your friend too.

Kev!

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I'm finding it hard to land the Dsmash, Up angles Fsmash and Jab>UpB on campys :( I tend to end up killing with Nair at that point and it's MUCH less efficient, especially on Lucario, as you guys pointed out lol

kigbariom

Smash Lord
If you are having trouble landing a d-smash, that normally means you are doing it from to far away. Use the d-smash if the opponent is close, and a sliding d-smash during an approach.

BigLøu

Smash Lord
ok few things I noticed...

First off, you never want lucario living that high, either get a jab up b early at like 50ish or an upangled fsmash in the 70s-80s.

2nd. Do not approach lucario like you normally would, his aerials have extreme odd range and your fair will not beat his fair. What I like to do, is spam bair going against lucario, because bair has much better range then fair. Don't try to approach lucario from under ever. If you see him above you, try to position yourself to the front of where you think he will drop, and keep spacing with bair.

Another thing I like to do is bait lucarios fair, cuz a lot of lucarios approach by fair then nair or whatever. Bait the fair by jumping forward and slightly pulling back so that you get just out of the range of it then use bair then try to pressure him when u land that bair with a set of combos. Most importantly though, as mentioned above, kill him as soon as you can as to avoid him getting stronger.

PolMex23

Smash Champion
you know, i kinda like your luigi xD

Watch the new luigi vids of me when they come up...prob in 3 days.

Oh, advice against lucario...if you dont up-B them at 50-60% than your bound to lose the match. Have to kill early.

So, you have to learn to play Polmex style luigi....

Gotta get the upBs in bro...then, when you do, read how they react. 3 ways, they play the same, they get angry an go aggro, or they get shocked an scared.

Take advantage of how they react an repeat the process

Kev!

Smash Journeyman
you know, i kinda like your luigi xD

Watch the new luigi vids of me when they come up...prob in 3 days.

Oh, advice against lucario...if you dont up-B them at 50-60% than your bound to lose the match. Have to kill early.

So, you have to learn to play Polmex style luigi....

Gotta get the upBs in bro...then, when you do, read how they react. 3 ways, they play the same, they get angry an go aggro, or they get shocked an scared.

Take advantage of how they react an repeat the process
Lol I'm still practicing Jab cencelling, it's not that hard, but I find it's not easy to implement in a competitive game so far :p I keep screwing up and getting powershielded so I end up resorting to Jab > Grab instead :(

Thanks for all the constructive criticism, I never suspected that I'd get compliments and I even thought there would be a small chance of getting flamed :p

@ PolMex: Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for the vids, btw; what exactly do you like about my Luigi lol? The pinkness? Or the 6-year-oldish-ignoring-the-dodge-button-over-aggressiveness? :p

PolMex23

Smash Champion
just your play style....with experience youll get better.

But pick up how i play...youll see against the falco player

Top Bottom