• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Improve your Combos and Mixups with Donkey Kong's Slap Cancel

slapcancel.jpg

Donkey Kong's Hand Slap has always been one of his riskier options. While good at racking up damage and catching rolls, its long animation leaves DK open to punishes - both on whiff and on shield. With all of this in mind, Beefy Smash Doods have released a video covering a newly-discovered technique that can make this move safer and more versatile.

Discovered by KDK and further refined by himself, Proctavia and Will "DKWill" Walsh, the new technique allows Donkey Kong to instantly cancel the move's animation by performing a Hand Slap right as he auto-cancels an aerial upon landing. On most platforms, this will interrupt the move before the first frame with an active hitbox. This is useful for baiting opponent into shielding or trying to respond with an unsafe option, but has little utility outside of this.

The Slap Cancel really shines on rising and sloped platforms. With the correct timing and positioning, Donkey Kong's Hand Slap won't be interrupted until after the first hitbox comes out, changing the move from a slow, high-risk high-reward punish tool to a quick combo starter or extender. This version of the technique works on both Town & City and Lylat Cruise, though it has far more utility on the latter. Beefy Smash Doods' video explains just how it works and shows off a few potential applications, and KDK has a few examples of his own on twitter.

Scribe

Comments

Seeing as the ganon boards are dead I’ll post the question here...

What if this is possible with other characters and it has something to do with moves that have different physics and/or animation in the air?

I ask this because awhile back in for glory as ganon, I happened to use his flame choke but while landing, he immediately went into the aerial version but then just canceled it and went into his ground version in the opposite direction. I couldn’t reproduce it at the time so didn’t think much of it. But what if it happened simply because I autocanceled one of his aerial moves?

I don’t have access to either smash version atm, so maybe someone else here could test it.

If it doesn’t work then I just don’t know what caused his flame choke to act like that...

If this doesn't happen with other characters, it may have something to do with character weighting in the air, with DK and Ganon being heavyweights.

Top Bottom