• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Impossible to Dodge?

Rew

Smash Journeyman
There are a few boss attacks on the higher difficulty levels that come out so fast, with seemingly no warning, that I just cannot figure out how to dodge in time. Hopefully you guys can help me.

First and foremost is Tabuu's absurd whip. I was facing in SSE on Very Hard, and I swear I could never dodge it in time. Now before you say, "Just air dodge VERY fast," I did air dodge very fast--in fact, forget fast. I air dodged IMMEDIATELY as soon as I saw the whip. Each and every time, he got me anyway. WTF?

Next are Tabuu's infamous Off-Waves. Now of course you see these coming a million miles away, so that's not my worry of course. The problem is the timing of dodging them. It seems almost arbitrary whether my game registers me as dodging in time or getting my *** blown off the screen faster than a rocket launch. How do you know for sure you've done it right? There are times when I can tell I've shielded too early, and other times much too late. But then there are many times, where I'm so close on the timing but failed anyway that I can't tell me whether I was early or late! :dizzy: WTF?

Also, Porky's electric lightning string, the one that starts out as a ball of electricity over the machine's head, then comes out and seeks for you, like an electric arm. I know you're supposed to air dodge that, but the problem is--I do. I air dodge it, every time. But it still electrocutes me anyway. Why? What am I doing wrong?

That's all I can think of for now. If I think of more, I'll be sure to post them. But advice would be greatly appreciated!

xJin678

Smash Cadet
I'm not too sure about the whip, but how I usually dodge it (on Intense) is to always stay airborne after his four teleports. Then, the instant he teleports to the side of the screen, I air dodge before he even takes his whip out.

True, it's hard to tell whether or not you died from the off-waves by dodging too early or late. A good way to practice is just by fighting Tabuu on Easy mode in SSE. You can practice the timing for his off waves.

For the electric lightning, sorry if this is too general, jump and airdodge, then use your second jump and air dodge again.

You should also watch this video for reference http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FDeZ9ydtM4&feature=related

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
At first the Off-Waves from Tabuu may be impossible to avoid, but if you time those sidestep dodges just right, you'll avoid all three blows. This is crucial to get down for Intense Boss Battles since one hit is enough to annihilate you.

iEatPikmin

Smash Journeyman
For the whip: I find it easier to roll. Just my opinion.

Off-Waves: It seems easier to watch Tabuu instead of your character. I haven't fought Tabuu for about a week, so I forget the exact timing.

Porky's Lazer Thingy: Not much I can help with here. Just practice fighting Porky in SSE (He's a little faster in SSE.).

Here's a video of a Captain Falcon player finishing Boss Battles on Intense without taking damage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-9EG68DfvQ

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
I'm not too sure about the whip, but how I usually dodge it (on Intense) is to always stay airborne after his four teleports. Then, the instant he teleports to the side of the screen, I air dodge before he even takes his whip out.

True, it's hard to tell whether or not you died from the off-waves by dodging too early or late. A good way to practice is just by fighting Tabuu on Easy mode in SSE. You can practice the timing for his off waves.

For the electric lightning, sorry if this is too general, jump and airdodge, then use your second jump and air dodge again.

You should also watch this video for reference http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FDeZ9ydtM4&feature=related
cant really object to this. it comes down to practice mate

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Pick Pit.
Down B.
Sidestep the waves.

Cloud Cleaver

Smash Journeyman
Don't try to time the dodges. His waves are staggered so that won't work. Focus on dodging each one individually; I recommend spot-dodging when it gets about halfway between him and your character (I try to stay fairly close to him, directly down and to one side).

_Tiamat_

Smash Apprentice
I heard someone say that if you use Charizard for boss battles you can dodge the wave attack with 'Pokemon Change'

Didn't test it myself but it seem indeed possible.

That would save you the trouble of having to time 3 sidesteps on intense (off wave is harder to dodge on intense because of stress)

zacharia zako

Smash Journeyman
i've mastered the timing of spot dodging tabuu's waves but it takes time. actually for me it didn't but you can also use the pokemon change as suggested or the zelda to shiek transformation might work haven't tried really. DO NOT use kiby's down b and stay in rock or wieght form i thought it worked but it didn't. for the whip, maybe run to the edge of the course jumo off. air dodge and jump back on.

Honto-E-Lawl

Smash Journeyman
to dodge porky's lasers just get as far away as you can when its starting up...then jump and air dodge...and then double just and air dodge....it might hit you but only for a little bit...

you can do what i like to do with marth and just counter it twice while standing right next to him to take away like a fourth of his health

DSM01

Smash Apprentice
For Porky's electric jolt, wait underneath him while he charges and then roll at the last second. The timing is a little tricky, but a couple tries and you'll get it.

Newuser12345215

Smash Journeyman
Actually it's very hard or above. On hard, the Off-Waves KO at around 30% though.
Boss battle: Very hard or Intense.

Story mode: Normal or higher is 1hitKO.

Also, I think the best way to dodge it is to press and hold "shield" and press "down" the second you see the Red Ring appear. Dodge down everytime the ring appears.

Don't wait for the red ring to go near your character(it'll be too late then), just do it the second it appears and you should be able to dodge(least, that's how I remembered doing it).

Roxmorf

Smash Cadet
the porky laser does never follow you over porky (so just jump over him). Its more difficult if you have no "flying" character (kirby, pit, peach....), but you can get away and shield the remaining time

The_RMF

Smash Rookie
I went against Tabuu in hard, took me 15 minutes or so, I was really methodical, and to my amaze HE DIDN'T USED THE WHIP NOT EVEN ONCE.

15 minutes, one Link, Marth, Snake, Samus, Sonic later, Ike finally finished Tabuuuuu with the Special Move Up (The sword throw thing).

ShadowBlitz

Smash Apprentice
For Tabuu's whip, after he teleports a few times, you'll just know that he's about to attack, so I just air dodge hoping that he uses the whip.

For the waves, I just get better and better with practice, just keep on practicing with the waves and you'll get good at it. Start at normal and then keep on going up until you're at a higher level. That should be good enough practice.

For the electric thing that Porky uses, just jump and air dodge and use use your recovery, it'll take a while for you to come down in this time he'll probablly be done. If he's not just use your air dodge and recovery again.

smashfriend

Smash Rookie
i normaly dogde the first to wave buy jumping off the legde but the the next one hits me when i make my recovery i gesse try and use a conter dodge..........

Top Bottom