• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Impa, the Enigmatic Sheikah, Sage of Shadow

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Agreed. Impa is the next-most important character in the franchise, and adding Impa would fill in the "core" Zelda cast. The only character currently in the roster not part of the "core" cast right now is Sheik, really. Although frankly, if they were going to make Impa a skin of Sheik anyway, Impa should've been the default with Sheik as the alt.
Yes, she SHOULD have just replaced Sheik, because Impa is far more important.
Yet, she did not. Sheik is in, and as far as w know, Impa is not.
Impa is incredily important to the Zelda series, et, the Sheikah are not so important as to constitute 1/3 of the characters from the franchise. If two of six characters to a non player had such fighting styles they would be given a vastly misconstrued idea of what the game is.
This is why I would assume Impa is going to be a skin- Sakurai going the route of making Impa a skin, because Sheik has intense fans in the Smash community. Then, when the two worlds merge more, and Impa is a alt costume viable in the game, perhaps she could take over the face of the roster slot for next game, and Sheik can be demoted to being the skin, where she belongs.

Hexaped

Smash Journeyman
@ M Maffewt I too would like an elderly Impa, despite how unlikely it is. When someone types "elder" Impa, though, many probably imagine Skyward Sword Impa. But I am thinking about NES Impa, from the first TLoZ games. This Impa could represent the pre-'90s TLoZ games while using some of the abilities of her modern, young incarnations. She would likely use her ALBW design, though, but I would hope she gets a dark brown and red palettes to resemble the first Impa. So, along with shadow and Sheikah abilities, she could use potions somehow, since she sold them. I may create a moveset for elder Impa, now, thanks to your suggestion! Thank you! But I still must create the OoT Impa moveset I mentioned weeks ago. And, for this elder Impa moveset, I shall try to avoid creating magical attacks, so that Zelda remains unique in the TLoZ SSB cast.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
You guys see this? Screen shots of Impa's newly revealed weapon for Hyrule Warriors: A halberd.

Hexaped

Smash Journeyman
Impa also gets a bow! Perhaps that will be a third weapon. Anyway, I appreciate this Gohma design, since it resembles the older Gohmas, but also displays new things. I wondered if this was Gohma or a large Tektite.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Impa also gets a bow! Perhaps that will be a third weapon. Anyway, I appreciate this Gohma design, since it resembles the older Gohmas, but also displays new things. I wondered if this was Gohma or a large Tektite.
I believe the bow will be an equippable item, the kind that all the characters can find in chests. The bow, the bombs, and the hookshot are all like this (we've seen Zelda with the normal bow as well, and we've seen Midna with the hookshot).

All of the new designs are pretty dang sweet. Including Sheik's design which isn't the same as OoT's or the TP style one.
Here's a link to all the new screenshots that show off some new characters etc.
http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/8...rior-goodness-from-famitsu-new-stages-items-a

Hexaped

Smash Journeyman
OK. I felt the bow was probably not so important. And, WOAH. Thanks for the link! Look at all this!

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Yeah, the bow is an item. The last bunch of scans showed Link using it as well. There was mention of it filling the weak spot meter or whatever faster.

I wasn't expecting so many of the characters to have extra weapons, so this is pretty awesome. Impa gets a giant broadsword and a naginata? Her weapons are awesome, if impractical.

Last edited:

Hexaped

Smash Journeyman
OK, thanks for teaching me it is a naginata. Do you know if the two certain characters shown are playable?

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
OK, thanks for teaching me it is a naginata. Do you know if the two certain characters shown are playable?
The "two certain characters"? Which two? In any case, I can pretty much guarantee that if you see a screenshot of someone sized and shaped like a human then they'll be playable.

Hexaped

Smash Journeyman
I don't want to imply too much to viewers who have yet to search the link themselves. Thanks.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Its actually a Naginata, which is a lot more fitting for Impa than a "Giant Sword." Granted, I'd have liked her to use daggers, but they gave Daggers to Sheik instead.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Notably though, Sheik's main weapon apparently is the harp with the knives as a part of that set. Which is an interesting choice.

I'm not really sure I'd say that the naginata fits her any better than the giant sword... neither really scream "shadow ninja gypsy clan warrior" to me... but I guess in this incarnation she's more just an actual military leader rather than working behind the scenes, so perhaps it makes sense.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Notably though, Sheik's main weapon apparently is the harp with the knives as a part of that set. Which is an interesting choice.

I'm not really sure I'd say that the naginata fits her any better than the giant sword... neither really scream "shadow ninja gypsy clan warrior" to me... but I guess in this incarnation she's more just an actual military leader rather than working behind the scenes, so perhaps it makes sense.
A Naginata is a weapon said to have been used by ninjas. Its definitely more fitting than a giant sword. But yeah she is a military leader in this game.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
A Naginata is a weapon said to have been used by ninjas. Its definitely more fitting than a giant sword. But yeah she is a military leader in this game.
Oh, huh, didn't know that. Definitely doesn't seem super stealthy since it can't really be hidden on the body like kunai/shuriken. Doing research, it looks like the naginata was a very popular weapon among onna-bugeisha, essentially female samurai. Nifty, nifty.

I would've been fine seeing Impa with a kusari-gama.

Also, here is another gallery of HW images with some nice new Impa shots. Spoilers for the game, obviously.
http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/n...carina-of-time-stages-characters#.U9EMW_ldUrU

Last edited:

Hexaped

Smash Journeyman
@ LaniusShrike LaniusShrike Impa with a kusari-gama seems fun. Your post inspired a thought: it would be pleasing to see Impa use a never-before-seen weapon designed as if it were invented by Sheikah!

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
@ LaniusShrike LaniusShrike Impa with a kusari-gama seems fun. Your post inspired a thought: it would be pleasing to see Impa use a never-before-seen weapon designed as if it were invented by Sheikah!
Considering that I've seen Warriors characters wielding "weapons" such as a cup-and-ball toy or a three-stringed guitar, I feel like inventing a special Sheikah weapon wouldn't have been too much of a stretch!

Hexaped

Smash Journeyman
There is a Tales of Symphonia character who uses a cup-and-ball toy as a weapon, so it is likely a Japanese cultural trend.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
You guys see this? Screen shots of Impa's newly revealed weapon for Hyrule Warriors: A halberd.

It's interesting how this weapon has fire properties instead of water ones like the Giant Blade does...maybe her third weapon will have grass properties to fit with the red/blue/green Goddess thing?

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
It's interesting how this weapon has fire properties instead of water ones like the Giant Blade does...maybe her third weapon will have grass properties to fit with the red/blue/green Goddess thing?
I believe the third Goddess power would be Wind actually-- Din's fire, Nayru's Love, Farore's Wind. If, uh, "love" is assumed to be icy.

We can start speculating as to what her third breezy weapon will be! A fan?!?!

I'm only partially kidding. Fans are one of the more popular weird weapons of the Warriors series.

@ H Hexaped
Right, Genis and his Kendama toy. Exactly... something kind of weird about mass homicide via children's toys, but oh welllllll.

Last edited:

andimidna

Smash Master
Impa is looking better than ever. By a good amount. Do I think she has a 50+% chance... well, no... but she's pretty close to 50 at this point (imo)
Hey guys, according to this list, how would Impa's moveset be classified? (hybrid classes are possible):

Zoner - Character whose strength lies in forcing their opponent to stay in a certain area. Ex: :4marth:

Ranger - Character whose strength lies in their ranged attacks to force opponents to keep their distance. Ex: :4link:

Speedster - Character whose strength lies in their speed and ability to overwhelm their opponents with relentless attacks. Ex: :4pikachu:

Trickster - Character whose strength lies in a quirky moveset that is hard to predict and can alter the battle field. Ex: :4villager:

Bruiser - Character whose strength lies in devastating attacks to quickly finish off opponents. Ex: :4falcon:

Resistor - Character whose strength lies in super armor that allows them to tank hits to strike down opponents. Ex: :4bowser:

Puppeteer - Character whose strength lies in overwhelming opponents with relentless attacks stopping opponents from striking back. Strength in numbers. Ex: :rosalina:

Juggler - Character whose strength lies in being able to string combos together to finish off opponents. Ex: :4luigi:
Speedster/Bruiser
I think that Midna in Smash as an AT is almost indentically looking like Midna in Hyrule Warriors. And the way Midna attacks as an AT also isn't quite an exact attack she did in Twilight Princess. Might not mean much, but I doubt Sakurai WOULDN'T be at least informed about Hyrule Warriors if he asked the Zelda team for a new Zelda character to be included. Why wouldn't he add a character from a Zelda game that's all about fighting??!
The way Midna's arms are crossed behind her head in Smash Bros does seem to resemble her Hyrule Warriors artwork a bit...
I came here to discuss this.
I'm fully on-board with clones if a cool new character gets in, such as a Lucina, Roy, Falco, Ganondorf -- as opposed to, say, Pichu.
If Impa is in as a clone of Sheik, how would you want her moveset to be? A faster, lighter version of Sheik? I don't see them giving her the same specials though.. needles, at least, don't seem to match her character.

Alternatively, what if she was her Hyrule Warriors iteration as a slower, stronger Link? Would you guys be ok with two clones of Link in one game?
I'd expect Impa to become a clone of Ike or Greninja before Link. But Sheik remains the most likely due to the alternate costume thing with Lucina. Impa as an alternate costume for Sheik never seemed like a stretch, and separating the 2 with some differences wouldn't be too hard either. Not only does Impa have her own qualities, but there are some leftovers from Brawl Sheik's moveset that didn't return. Although, Sheik wasn't so great in Brawl. I'd rather Impa get modeled after Melee Sheik with a unique Down Special and Final Smash
Down Special- that blue shield from SS (shield/reflect-- shatters after 5 hits, leaves her stunned and open to get hit, but then she can use it again.
Final Smash-
Option 1- The Gate of Time (Could work as Kirby's removed Final Smash, but would include that explosive orb at the end as the finisher instead of characters flying out of soup for no reason.
Option 2- Anything from Hyrule Warriors. Gains that giant sword, water attacks, ice attacks, double flame swords, anything.
Option 3- Impas unite! (each unique version of Impa warps on stage/ in the air and does an attack- immediately, they do not walk around)
LoZ/AoL Impa- A Light Magic attack that surrounds her
CD-i Impa- lol jk
OoT Impa- A Shadow Magic attack that has a lasting affect just like Luigi's removed Final Smash
Oracles A/S Impa- Throws a Cow at the nearest player, it isn't very accurate but it's a KO hit, very powerful
TP Impaz- Blasts the Dominion Rod at the farthest opponent (follows the character, but it's weak)
SS Impa- Well she summons them all (as the playable one), but I guess she could do Option 1 here
ALBW Impa- Purple Magic? What can she do?
Hyrule Warriors Impa- Sends ice downward that will freeze anybody below, then strikes with her giant sword (basically option 2)
Seems like a lot but they can all be in protective shields, so the models wouldn't have to be perfect.

I'd see her as slightly heavier, slightly faster running-speed, slower attacks with more lag, but more powerful. It would be an interesting twist on Sheik I'm sure.

I believe the third Goddess power would be Wind actually-- Din's fire, Nayru's Love, Farore's Wind. If, uh, "love" is assumed to be icy.

I'm only partially kidding. Fans are one of the more popular weird weapons of the Warriors series.

@ H Hexaped
Right, Genis and his Kendama toy. Exactly... something kind of weird about mass homicide via children's toys, but oh welllllll.
I could see Impa getting a 3rd weapon as she was the 2nd character confirmed.
Link, the 1st character confirmed, I believe had 4 weapon slots in the demo.
Midna, the 4th character confirmed, had 2 slots in the demo (although she had to given the story)
Does anybody remember how many Zelda had?

Impa makes sense with 2 or 3. 1 wouldn't have been enough, but she doesn't need the same amount as Link.
Oh, and also, Lana, the 5th character confirmed, has 2 weapons already.
(adding the order as I believe it means something, but we'll see...)

Edit: I'll go back and laugh at all of the Sheik hate on this thread if she actually ends up being Impa's ticket to making it. Heh. Just posted here with a Sheik avatar too.
#dealwithit :shades:

Last edited:

Gallowglass

Smash Lord

@ H Hexaped
You could say love makes you wet....>.>

I really like the chain-sickle idea. I always thought that weapon would be neat in Smash but it could have even better effects in Hyrule Warriors. As for the fan weapons I would prefer something to resemble either the Deku Leaf from Wind Waker or Kitana's fans from Mortal Kombat. Yeah. I know that's two very drastic art choices.

SketchFox7

Smash Journeyman
Yes, she SHOULD have just replaced Sheik, because Impa is far more important.
Yet, she did not. Sheik is in, and as far as w know, Impa is not.
Impa is incredily important to the Zelda series, et, the Sheikah are not so important as to constitute 1/3 of the characters from the franchise. If two of six characters to a non player had such fighting styles they would be given a vastly misconstrued idea of what the game is.
This is why I would assume Impa is going to be a skin- Sakurai going the route of making Impa a skin, because Sheik has intense fans in the Smash community. Then, when the two worlds merge more, and Impa is a alt costume viable in the game, perhaps she could take over the face of the roster slot for next game, and Sheik can be demoted to being the skin, where she belongs.
I completely agree with this, when it was shown that Zelda & Sheik split, I was actually surprised that Impa didn't replace Sheik (why troll that ZSS was gone, could've done the same thing with Sheik and then been like, BUT... Impa Joins the Battle!!!) give her pretty much Sheik's moveset with some SS implementations and a new FS and LoZ would've gotten the new character it deserves. Sheik easily could've been Impa's alt, maybe Impa will have a large role in LoZ: Wii U as well and in SSB5 it'll happen, for now I'm rooting for a Lucina treatment or Sheik alt.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I completely agree with this, when it was shown that Zelda & Sheik split, I was actually surprised that Impa didn't replace Sheik (why troll that ZSS was gone, could've done the same thing with Sheik and then been like, BUT... Impa Joins the Battle!!!) give her pretty much Sheik's moveset with some SS implementations and a new FS and LoZ would've gotten the new character it deserves. Sheik easily could've been Impa's alt, maybe Impa will have a large role in LoZ: Wii U as well and in SSB5 it'll happen, for now I'm rooting for a Lucina treatment or Sheik alt.
I think they didn't do that just because of the backlash they would get also I don't think she'd be an alt since lucina was meant to be an alt to but was made separate, why would the do it for lucina but not impa?

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Yeah. At this point, I'd be totally fine if Impa basically was a strong/slow Sheik clone. Prefer otherwise bla bla bla, but... any semblance of her being included is all I really ask.

Charging up a handful of heavy hitting needles could definitely be fun...

Donalp15

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Donalp15
I would prefer Impa not be a clone of Sheik. Sheiks moves, the needles, bouncing fish, and the grenade are all physical things, however I think impa could be a kind of mix between Zelda and Sheik, some moves physical and some using magical attacks as well.
I was always a fan of the trophy theory since it implies Ridley is playable:awesome:, but I just noticed it works well in favour of Impa as well. Both Fi and Impa appear in Skyward Sword, but importantly Ballad of the Goddess plays as Fi is shown. Who teaches Link Ballad of the Goddess. Impa.
:160:

Maffewt

Smash Apprentice
@ M Maffewt I too would like an elderly Impa, despite how unlikely it is. When someone types "elder" Impa, though, many probably imagine Skyward Sword Impa. But I am thinking about NES Impa, from the first TLoZ games. This Impa could represent the pre-'90s TLoZ games while using some of the abilities of her modern, young incarnations. She would likely use her ALBW design, though, but I would hope she gets a dark brown and red palettes to resemble the first Impa. So, along with shadow and Sheikah abilities, she could use potions somehow, since she sold them. I may create a moveset for elder Impa, now, thanks to your suggestion! Thank you! But I still must create the OoT Impa moveset I mentioned weeks ago. And, for this elder Impa moveset, I shall try to avoid creating magical attacks, so that Zelda remains unique in the TLoZ SSB cast.
Thoroughly looking forward to seeing this. I just seriously think an elderly character would add lots of variety. Especially if it retained Impa's mix of physicality and shadow magic. Even if it was SS Impa in her elder form...

I know it's really unlikely, though. Elder Impa has more appearances, but not as much promotion or love.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Thoroughly looking forward to seeing this. I just seriously think an elderly character would add lots of variety. Especially if it retained Impa's mix of physicality and shadow magic. Even if it was SS Impa in her elder form...

I know it's really unlikely, though. Elder Impa has more appearances, but not as much promotion or love.
I get the desire for it, though I definitely support the young, slick, agile Impa over the older "sit in the same place for a hundred years" Impa, hah. But it is true that we don't have any older characters.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I get the desire for it, though I definitely support the young, slick, agile Impa over the older "sit in the same place for a hundred years" Impa, hah. But it is true that we don't have any older characters.

Now listen here you whippersnapper. I can fight just as well as my nimble younger self! I can use magic! I'm a sage! Why, I used to be the best kickboxer in the kingdom way back when! I still have some moves left. You'll see!

The youth of today have no respect for their elders. Of course they'd prefer the slender and lovely nimble me instead of the older and wiser one. Hmph!

Last edited:

domokl

Smash Lord
i think every character besides link has two weapons in hyrule warriors it would make sense to give link extta because hes the main character. zelda abnd midna both had two weapns in the demo.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
i think every character besides link has two weapons in hyrule warriors it would make sense to give link extta because hes the main character. zelda abnd midna both had two weapns in the demo.
Maybe. I believe I've heard someone mention that the demo version indicated 4 weapons for Link and 2 for some of the other characters, but I haven't seen the screen shot.

This one sort of shows that off, I guess.

I also think some of the playable characters will only have one weapon option, such as playable villains. It was stated that there'd be 52 playable styles, fyi. I think we've got a fair number more characters to see.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Maybe. I believe I've heard someone mention that the demo version indicated 4 weapons for Link and 2 for some of the other characters, but I haven't seen the screen shot.

This one sort of shows that off, I guess.

I also think some of the playable characters will only have one weapon option, such as playable villains. It was stated that there'd be 52 playable styles, fyi. I think we've got a fair number more characters to see.
I'm pretty sure 52 playstyles was debunked as a mistranslation.

I'm currently betting on 15 heroes + 7 villains, but I'd love more. The next setup after that I could see is 21 heroes + 9 villains.

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
The thought of Impa potentially being a playable character excites me! I think she would be a more badass version of Sheik even if she turns out to be a clone or semi-clone.

Donalp15

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Donalp15
The only thing wrong with that newcomer page, is that it does not have Impa with the cloak as an alt costume, like when you first see her. Over than that, it is absolute perfection.
:160:

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
Although I have serious doubts about a character reveal in the Hyrule Warriors Direct next Monday, wouldn't it be cool to show Impa and Ganondorf at the end of the direct? If that doesn't work out, we still have the game coming out in Japan on August 14. So there is a slight chance that Sakurai will reveal a Zelda newcomer and Ganondorf around the Japanese release date.

Top Bottom