• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

i'm... starting to get.... GOOD!?

Junpappy

Smash Lord
NOT Sliq might be the best name I've ever come across on this forum.

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
Ok, well that's all fine, but we don't care, because your accomplishment is ********. Why did you post this here? What did you want to get out of it, and what are we suppose to get out of it?

If I had to guess, you wanted people to go, "ZOMG you are liek teh bestest!", which is pretty sad seeking self fulfillment from an internet forum dedicated to a series of video games, and if this is the case, you have MUCH bigger problems then your lack of skill at said video games.
hmm... i guess i was kinda expecting

"well congratulations... but... that really isn't anything, FYI..."

^^ i just posted it because i was extremely happy at the time....... i'm a big RPGamer, so i don't exactly get a lot of practice at the action... probably why i'm not good at smash.

"NOT Sliq might be the best name I've ever come across on this forum."

^^what about mine :( *cries internally*

NOT Sliq

Smash Cadet
hmm... i guess i was kinda expecting

"well congratulations... but... that really isn't anything, FYI..."

^^ i just posted it because i was extremely happy at the time....... i'm a big RPGamer, so i don't exactly get a lot of practice at the action... probably why i'm not good at smash.

"NOT Sliq might be the best name I've ever come across on this forum."

^^what about mine :( *cries internally*
In the future, don't post unless it is helpful, interesting, or funny.

Shweex

Smash Cadet
You have no idea what you are talking about. Wavedashing wasn't known about until at least a year after its release, and wasn't just "left in the game."

Furthermore, it isn't a glitch, it is an exploit. They programmed sliding into the game when you air dodge into the ground at an angle. They didn't think people would use it as a movement system.

What pisses people off is when you come into a thread, and go, "I'm good, but I don't need to prove it." That makes you an ignorant, arrogant moron, ESPECIALLY when you think that beating a level 9 in ANY capacity shows a level of skill.

You are NOT as good as you think you are. EVERYONE thinks they are the ****ing greatest thing ever, until they get stomped. Then they either: 1.) whine about "glitches," 2.) become competitive and learn AT's, or 3.) don't care and do nothing.

You would not hold your own. DECENT competitive players don't even hold their own; they get 3 and 4 stocked, and some roll spamming noob will get OBLITERATED. It has happened over and over and over again. Someone in Texas named SoraKeyBladeMaster was talking ****, saying he could also compete, until Fast Like Tree went down there and beat him in an high stakes money match (50-80$ I think). He got WRECKED.

The point is your thread is called, "I'm starting to get good!", which you are not. If anything, I'm starting to get good (a little too late -_-) placing 17th at Pound 3. You suck ***, and will suck *** until you put the time into not sucking ***.

IRONY! Your first post is nothing but you posting like a moron, looking like a tool. Either you were trying to impress random people over the internet, a very valiant venture--not in the least pathetic or inane--, or you are trolling. Either way, you fail.

tl;dr

You are not good. Do not post nonsense on SWF and take up valuable space about beating a level 9.
Every single thing you've just said is negated by your stupidy. Ironic, isn't it? Look again you ******, I'm not the OP. I simply defended the OP from arrogant ****faces like you who like to get high and mighty by throwing random insults around to people they don't know over the internet. A simple "nice, but nothing fantastic, keep improving" would have sufficed and this thread would never have gotten as far as it did.
However, people like you see it necessary to slam the casual gamer into the ground every time we make any post related to anything, skill-wise or not.

Swheex is a bad player. MM me $50
And Bailey is a bad speller. I'd rather suck at playing a game than suck at a skill I learned when I was 5.

Shweex

Smash Cadet
http://youtube.com/watch?v=h9RJgiyrozI
http://youtube.com/watch?v=xFIZwuv41nc
http://youtube.com/watch?v=EZwg37tu6B0

hey guys, I think phanna's starting to get.. good!
he's ready to become the king of smash

Also, anyone is dumb to think just because Brawl doesn't have any kind of "Advanced Techniques" right now, people who were good in Melee will suck.
You're right, it's a good thing I'm not one of them. I really should have worded this better in the beginning but I was more obsessed with the insult than the facts, so for that my wording was warped. Now that I can word this right, let me try my best to interpret what I think:

Let's put the current Melee pros at 9-10 on a scale from 1-10.
The current Melee pros will be just as far ahead of the game as they are now in Melee. They have the mindgames, they have the understanding, and even though SOME of the techs may not help, the fact that their fingers have adapted to quick movements and advanced techniques puts them extremely far ahead of the game. In addition, pros have been playing other pros, giving them a huge upper hand in experience.
Thus, let's put them at an 8 for Brawl. No one can be a 10, no advanced techs are out yet, so they can't possibly be the best there's going to be.

So next is the casual player, who we will put at a 4-7.
Now the current casual player, like me, plays a lot but never learned the techniques (or did learn the techniques but never actually mastered them completely). We have an understanding of the game; we have quick fingers, albeit not as fast as pros. But our minds won't be able to adapt to the advanced stuff as well as the pros. They've already done it once, meaning they'll be that much quicker to not only be able to perform but to utilize their new-found skills in combat, even if it isn't the same.
Thus, let's keep my kind at about a 5. We won't adapt as well to new discoveries, but at the same time we really didn't get knocked down much because nothing really changed for us, save for the new attack/speed/level/etc changes that everyone will be dealing with.

Lastly, we have the crappy and/or new gamer, who is anywhere below 3.
This guy has never played Brawl or Melee, but wants to get good. Lucky for him, there's no better time to get into the games than right now. He won't have to learn AS MUCH as any new Melee'er would have, but he still has quite a bit to learn. If he starts off right as the game comes out and knows the right people, it's always possible for him to catch up.

I hope that explains my point of view a bit better. If there was ever a time someone like me wanted to stop being lazy and get around to competing with the big boys, now would be the time, before everything is discovered and I fall behind. That's the best way I can think to put it.

Junpappy

Smash Lord
You're right, it's a good thing I'm not one of them. I really should have worded this better in the beginning but I was more obsessed with the insult than the facts, so for that my wording was warped. Now that I can word this right, let me try my best to interpret what I think:

Let's put the current Melee pros at 9-10 on a scale from 1-10.
The current Melee pros will be just as far ahead of the game as they are now in Melee. They have the mindgames, they have the understanding, and even though SOME of the techs may not help, the fact that their fingers have adapted to quick movements and advanced techniques puts them extremely far ahead of the game. In addition, pros have been playing other pros, giving them a huge upper hand in experience.
Thus, let's put them at an 8 for Brawl. No one can be a 10, no advanced techs are out yet, so they can't possibly be the best there's going to be.

So next is the casual player, who we will put at a 4-7.
Now the current casual player, like me, plays a lot but never learned the techniques (or did learn the techniques but never actually mastered them completely). We have an understanding of the game; we have quick fingers, albeit not as fast as pros. But our minds won't be able to adapt to the advanced stuff as well as the pros. They've already done it once, meaning they'll be that much quicker to not only be able to perform but to utilize their new-found skills in combat, even if it isn't the same.
Thus, let's keep my kind at about a 5. We won't adapt as well to new discoveries, but at the same time we really didn't get knocked down much because nothing really changed for us, save for the new attack/speed/level/etc changes that everyone will be dealing with.

Lastly, we have the crappy and/or new gamer, who is anywhere below 3.
This guy has never played Brawl or Melee, but wants to get good. Lucky for him, there's no better time to get into the games than right now. He won't have to learn AS MUCH as any new Melee'er would have, but he still has quite a bit to learn. If he starts off right as the game comes out and knows the right people, it's always possible for him to catch up.

I hope that explains my point of view a bit better. If there was ever a time someone like me wanted to stop being lazy and get around to competing with the big boys, now would be the time, before everything is discovered and I fall behind. That's the best way I can think to put it.
You failed to mention the rest of the swf population that's between the casual gamer and the pros...

If you account for their existence, as you should, casual gamers are the ones that should be around 3 and noobs who have never played any form of smash would be at 1. Seriously, its dumb to have a scale of 1-10 and start off someone who has never played at a 3. :dizzy:

veritron

Smash Cadet
also considering the skill difference between the people who are really good at smash and the people who aren't, that scale should be logarithmic, not linear.

Shweex

Smash Cadet
1-2-3-----------4-5------6-----------------------7---------------8--------------------------9--------------------------------10
enjoy

the gap between 3 and 4 represents getting used to the controls and getting a good feel and flow of the game.
the gap between 7 and 8 represents the transition from decent player to decent player that can use and recognize ATs in a match.
the gaps between 8 and 9 represents the transition from good player to pro; people I would consider first entering tournaments and practicing with pros to get just as good.
the gaps from 9-10 reprents going from pro to anything beyond (IE tournament top players, highly respected players, veteran pros, etc).

obviously there's more to it than that, and it's arguably nowhere near up-to-scale, but I think that's a better representation. Obviously, everything between 8-10 could be much, much longer. As for starting off noobs at 3, well I wasn't really thinking BRAND NEW. I was thinking more along the lines of the brand new people at 1-2 (depending on how naturally good they are at games) and the relatively new or just overall bad players at a 3.

I'm by no means trying to create a "system" of any kind to accurately rate every Smash player in existence, I'm simply trying to get a point across, and figured this was the simplest way to do it.

Shweex

Smash Cadet
Sorry dude, you're not a 5 on your little list. You're probably a 3. The average tournament goer is a 5-6. The semi pros are 7-8 and the top pros are 9s and 10s.
I'm by no means trying to create a "system" of any kind to accurately rate every Smash player in existence, I'm simply trying to get a point across, and figured this was the simplest way to do it.
If you want to make your own chart feel free. The numbers don't mean nearly as much as the dashes between the numbers, which represent the skill differences. I was considering tournament goer 6-7, semi-pro 7-8, pro from 8-9, top pros being 9-10. Right now, I'd consider myself a 5, the "bare minimum going to tournament and getting *****" stage. As in I've pretty much gotten as good as I'm going to get without playing some real pros.

D

Deleted member

Last edited by a moderator:

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
If you want to make your own chart feel free. The numbers don't mean nearly as much as the dashes between the numbers, which represent the skill differences. I was considering tournament goer 6-7, semi-pro 7-8, pro from 8-9, top pros being 9-10. Right now, I'd consider myself a 5, the "bare minimum going to tournament and getting *****" stage. As in I've pretty much gotten as good as I'm going to get without playing some real pros.
Level 3 is level 3. I've beaten plenty of people who considered themselves "good" at the game by picking Peach and hitting the C-Stick down. Any competitive player who goes to tournaments and places lower than the top 4 I would consider a 5.

Shweex

Smash Cadet
Level 3 is level 3. I've beaten plenty of people who considered themselves "good" at the game by picking Peach and hitting the C-Stick down. Any competitive player who goes to tournaments and places lower than the top 4 I would consider a 5.
I don't really understand the point you're trying to prove here unless you're just agreeing with me. :dizzy:

D

Deleted member

I love how you're trying to define the gaps between levels of play (both competitive and non) as if you know what you're talking about... boundaries of skill are not defined by numbers, in anything... beating certain people won't propel you to another level, just as losing to certain people won't make you fall a level, it's just a slider that you just shift a few millimeters every now and again

Shweex

Smash Cadet
I love how you're trying to define the gaps between levels of play (both competitive and non) as if you know what you're talking about... boundaries of skill are not defined by numbers, in anything... beating certain people won't propel you to another level, just as losing to certain people won't make you fall a level, it's just a slider that you just shift a few millimeters every now and again
I never said that winning or losing makes you better or worse. In fact, what you just said defines exactly the line that I made. Some progress at different speeds, some catch snags here and there, but I feel it's an at least decent time line if it moved at a slow, steady pace, depending on who/how they play.

D

Deleted member

But you infer by saying that raising skills increase you in "levels", thus to gain entry into the top levels, you must beat the pros who inhabit these levels, so winning vs. top pros makes you better and on the same level as them... and skill isn't defined in a linear pattern... I have very good tech skill (as I am a Fox main), but I have much more Marth ditto skill than my friend who mains Marth, and they require more spacing and mindgames than tech skill... you can't simply define skill, it just grows as you get used to things... which is why I suck at Fox dittos :(

Shweex

Smash Cadet
shweex, you brought this upon yourself by saying stupid bull**** in the start.

that is all

:colorful:
Brought what upon myself? I'm willing to bet that not even 1% of Smashboards has even read this thread, and when Brawl is out, the hundreds of threads like this will just fade away into the dissonance of the boards as people concern themselves more with Brawl gameplay than the arguments of Melee vs Brawl. The only reason it's a hot topic is because there's no way to know how the outcome is going to be until the game has been out long enough.

Even if that weren't true, this is the internet. It's not hard to just get a new account and start over. For all anyone else knows, I may have already done it before. ;)

yourNME

Smash Rookie
Then prove me wrong or shut up. Have you tried to stop l-canceling, wavedashing, shffling, or edgeguarding (none of which will be in Brawl) only to catch yourself doing it a minute later? It's like second nature. Adjusting to these changes will set back the pros a long way.
What is mindgames and reading your opponent and knowing common mistakes and common techs etc.... you suck.

D

Deleted member

Well, considering I've played Brawl, I say I have a heads up on you already... obviously the metagame is going to continue to change the longer the game is out, with new techniques and strategies are discovered and used... It's something everyone has to get used to, so everyone's on the same ground... except the DA guys, I hate you guys lol (<3 Wes, but really now)

OcarinaLink

Smash Journeyman
I personally think the introduction of Brawl's system may affect pros a bit more, yes, but it won't change the fact that they'll play better than most of us, hands down. I've been to a couple of tournaments, and I've some of Gimpy's brawl vids, and (except for the lack of some advanced techniques) I can see the same strategy and smart movement still present in those vids, just as I saw them in his Melee vids.

My two cents.

Kyldare

Smash Apprentice
I can't wait for Brawl to come out so cocky douchebags like you can get knocked back to square one.
People with comments like this are the reason I hate forums. Somebody could have simply said "its good that you are progressing, but you really need to start beating HUMAN opponents until you can be labeled good." Instead, we all place ourselves upon golden pedestals, and make douchy comments to elevate our egos. Smash Community FTL

Tok

Smash Rookie
Yea i can see what Shweex meant.. You guys are just too defensive of the pro players... Sure they're better at adapting to situations.. But still you have to admit everyone thats gonna be playing brawl are going to be playing differently. You guys should realize that your not the pros the pros are and you cant speak for them....

error_alt_delete

Smash Champion
to the OP- Ill say your getting better, but I woudlnt say good. I am pretty good, I can take 3 stocks out of any lvl.9 CPU with zelda, and I dont even use her often. so keep practicing the basics of character controls and move time+ range . also heres a tip- take advantage of zelda's defensive fighting style (if you try to use her that way), her moves are good at stopping an opponent trying to rush you. but if the opponent can get around this, she pretty much is done for.

as for the topic of pro's VS casuals- why is it that we cant have pro casuals? I am pretty ****ing good at the game and I am a casual player, I think I am even on the pro level. so why is it you HAVE to go to tourneys to be a good player? sure human players help you get used to unpredectibility more and they can react greatly too, but that can only go so far (as every character has something that determines a general play style set for themselfs). CPU's also have their benifits, they help with quik reaction time better due to their own insane reaction time (nuetral Aing out of combos, insane power sheilding, grabing moves that seem impossible to do so, ect).

brawl IS a different game, sure EXPIERIANCED players (not just pros) are going to be a little better, but due to the drastic changes, UNEXPIERIANCED (not the generalization of casuals) players wont have such a large gap. besides, why should the more expierianced players care so much? it means that fights wont be always boring and one sided as much anymore. cause I sure as **** know I hate winning 100% of the time, its gets boring after a while having no challenge. so I for one am glad this will decrease the gap between me, my freinds, and my brother, all of which I always beat. it means more fun for all, cant we all just agree to this way of thinking and forget all of this "casual" and "pro" junk?!

error_alt_delete

Smash Champion
To the OP- Ill say your getting better, but I woudlnt say good. I am pretty good, I can take 3 stocks out of any lvl.9 CPU with zelda, and I dont even use her often. so keep practicing the basics of character controls and move time+ range . also heres a tip- take advantage of zelda's defensive fighting style (if you try to use her that way), her moves are good at stopping an opponent trying to rush you. but if the opponent can get around this, she pretty much is done for.

as for the topic of pro's VS casuals- why is it that we cant have pro casuals? I am pretty ****ing good at the game and I am a casual player, I think I am even on the pro level. so why is it you HAVE to go to tourneys to be a good player? sure human players help you get used to unpredectibility more and they can react greatly too, but that can only go so far (as every character has something that determines a general play style set for themselfs). CPU's also have their benifits, they help with quik reaction time better due to their own insane reaction time (nuetral Aing out of combos, insane power sheilding, grabing moves that seem impossible to do so, ect).

brawl IS a different game, sure EXPIERIANCED players (not just pros) are going to be a little better, but due to the drastic changes, UNEXPIERIANCED (not the generalization of casuals) players wont have such a large gap. besides, why should the more expierianced players care so much? it means that fights wont be always boring and one sided as much anymore. cause I sure as **** know I hate winning 100% of the time, its gets boring after a while having no challenge. so I for one am glad this will decrease the gap between me, my freinds, and my brother, all of which I always beat. it means more fun for all, cant we all just agree to this way of thinking and forget all of this "casual" and "pro" junk?!

Lavos

Smash Journeyman
To the OP- Ill say your getting better, but I woudlnt say good. I am pretty good, I can take 3 stocks out of any lvl.9 CPU with zelda, and I dont even use her often. so keep practicing the basics of character controls and move time+ range . also heres a tip- take advantage of zelda's defensive fighting style (if you try to use her that way), her moves are good at stopping an opponent trying to rush you. but if the opponent can get around this, she pretty much is done for.

I'm sorry, but that entire post was dripping with ignorance, misconceptions, inexperience, faulty logic, and poor judgment.

Computers will not help you get better unless you are at an extremely low level of play. There's no two ways about it, they just won't. They don't think. They don't change. Whatever "timing" you believe you have learned will not work on human opponents.

You are not good. There is no such thing as a pro casual. Logic abhors the concept of a "pro casual". Pros are people who go to and place in major tournys. If you can't or don't meet these conditions, you are not a pro. If the paradoxical "pro casual" really did exist, we would all be "pro casuals" and the term would be meaningless.

The reason people don't want the gap to become closer is because it is a clear sign that depth is being removed from the game. If Brawl comes out and after a few months the gap is still very small, it is a sign that the game's depth has been compromised. If you're really tired of winning 100% of the time, find better players. If your brother and your friends aren't getting any better after all this time, they're probably not planning on getting better and you need to find other people. I never understood the sheer depth and scope of the skill gap in this game until I met NJzfinest and Cunning Kitsune. I played NJ and got 4 stocked, then I watched NJ play CKit and he got 4 stocked, then CKit told me that he would probably get 4 stocked by M2K. It wasn't until then that I really appreciated the competitive side of this game. The reason this massive skill gap exists is because the game has amazing depth.

If you don't care about this depth and don't like that skill gap, then why are you even concerned about the "pro vs casual" thing? Just play however you like playing with your brother and your friends and don't worry about it. :)

Radical Dreamer

Smash Ace

You're an idiot, you suck and you're not even close to being on the "pro level." You have no idea of the skill disparity until you actually jump into competitive play. This goes for that moron Shweex too. You would get four stocked by people who would get four stocked by high level players. If you're tired of being the best, just go to the regional zones, look for a local melee tournament, and be prepared to get ***** by nearly everyone at the venue.

I'm a low level competitive player and I get absolutely sick and tired of morons who have no clue how to play this game saying stupid crap like, "I've never been to a tournament but I'm actually a really good player, I could compete." I play in a competitive setting all the time, lose at least 90% of my games, and am still willing to bet money that even I would **** these silly ignorant nobodies who think they're as good as top pros.

Top Bottom