• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm putting together the Charizard Guide...tell me what you want in it

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Self explanatory title is self explanatory.

To elaborate:

Hello, I'm Tech_Chase and if you're a regular on the Charizard boards, odds are you've seen me posting and researching Charizard. I will be putting together a guide during my spare time that will serve as a reference point for Charizards of all skill levels. I would like some feedback from you guys as to what you would like to see in the guide so I can make the best one possible. We deserve a kick-ass guide for this kick-ass Pokemon. Right now I have the guide formatted into:

I. Introduction - Some background information on Charizard.

II. Overview - Strengths, weaknesses, why you should play him etc.

III. Moveset - A description and rating of his standard moveset.

IV. Custom Moveset - Same as above but custom moves instead.

V. General Charizard Game Play Strats - Going over his neutral game, offensive and defensive game and general scenarios and how to approach them.

VI. Advanced Techniques - This will be small but I'm making a section for this now in case we find stuff later. It will cover general ATs like the Dodge Canceling though.

And that's it for now. Suggestions from all are welcome.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
I dig it TC. Perhaps another addition to your guide?

VII. Stage Selection - Stages Charizard feels comfortable playing on. Which stages should we strike, what stages should we Counterpick, & what would be Charizard's preferred stages among the Legal & Banned lists.

Things to add about it:
-How important stage control & presence mean to Charizard
-Whether or not platforms are a hassle or a stepping stone for setups & stage control
-How to play Neutral Game on particular stages
-Strategies & ideas working with or around particular stages such as normal or Omega in the Legal or Banned lists. Flare Blitz stage-bouncing can be a suggested tactic of recovering in this point

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
What about complementary characters, or is that a bit too specific and early to tell?

Davregis

Smash Apprentice
Troublesome matchups, I guess? I can't be the only one who'd love a guide vs Greninja, Rosalina, and ZSS/Sheik

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
You should try listing some differences between this game's Charizard, and Brawl's and Project M's Charizards. There might be someone coming into this game expecting that this game's Charizard will be similar to the incarnation that they're most familiar with, unaware of all the changes that have been made.

Copied and pasted from the other guide thread, but I feel as though this should be mentioned:

Like for example, this game's Charizard has a Seismic Toss grab much like the one in Project M. However, this grab behaves much more like Kirby's traditional up grab, with landing damage at 6% with an additional recoil at 2%. It is much weaker than the one in Project M, which has a resulting damage at 15%. Something like this would be helpful to someone who mains Solozard in Project M, and would expect 4zard to be similar to what he or she played there.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
I second Lizardon's post about detailed changes that separate the 3 versions of Charizard across Brawl P:M & Sm4sh.

yoyowoodchuckguy

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0018-1538-9247
Some Nair specific things, please. I hear everyone screaming its praises, yet I struggle to find a use for it.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
For me Nair is the generally useful move. Unless there is a need for a specific move, Nair will usually be a good choice. If that makes any sense.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Full move descriptions and pictures will be used.

And I guess people want a comparison between the 3 versions of Charizard? I can definitely do that. Mostly, because I agree with Lizardon's point about how they might be coming from one game to find that Charizard behaves very differently in certain areas across games. That's fine.

I can also include a section under the General Gameplay about stages and whatnot. These are all fine suggestions.

Muhznit

Smash Journeyman
Detailed threat list. Basically bad matchups, the things they do (especially ATs. I didn't know Greninja could cancel dair's land lag until recently), and how to fight them.

Deaga

Smash Cadet
I dig it TC. Perhaps another addition to your guide?

VII. Stage Selection - Stages Charizard feels comfortable playing on. Which stages should we strike, what stages should we Counterpick, & what would be Charizard's preferred stages among the Legal & Banned lists.

Things to add about it:
-How important stage control & presence mean to Charizard
-Whether or not platforms are a hassle or a stepping stone for setups & stage control
-How to play Neutral Game on particular stages
-Strategies & ideas working with or around particular stages such as normal or Omega in the Legal or Banned lists. Flare Blitz stage-bouncing can be a suggested tactic of recovering in this point
Seconding this one! I think some tips for Stage selection would be quite good.

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
-Nair is Charizard's bread and butter...and main course. There should be a lot of text devoted to this move.

-Using your smashes effectively. You can dash, crouch, and then smash out of the crouch animation. I like using this a lot with Charizard.

-Frame data obviously.

-Also, UpSmash is a great move out of shield. It has huge vertical range and can use surprise kills if used right. I think it's highly underrated.

-Matchups once the metagame develops, though it will take dedication and regular updates every few months or so.

Charizard has been my favorite character to use and I think he's highly underrated.

Last edited:

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Charizard doesn't have many combos or strings. He is more about powerful single hits that give him momentum.

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
BThrow > dash, SH Fair is a true combo at lower percents. Looks like it might whiff on a few characters though.. Not sure how DIable it is either.

The nice thing is you can AC the fair and possibly follow up with another hit/grab.

Last edited:

Christhewolf63

Smash Cadet
List of his approach options and the mind games he can pull off with a short hop approach ie. Nair, Fair, Flamethrower, Rock Smash, Flare Blitz, Nothing.

Also the importance of using Rock smash to extend your stock! and saving flare blitz as a punish and recovery tool, not letting it get stale by spamming..

Christhewolf63

Smash Cadet
Flare blitz burns trough most projectiles

Rock smash can help you break trough most assaults she Flamethrower can help space them out and give you breathing room

Top Bottom