• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm pretty terrified of SSB4's character set

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I guess Smash tournaments are also BS, then.
That's not even comparable. Or are you saying polls are the same as a tournament?

On another point, it is not at all surprising that the most popular Pokemon are typically of Gen 1 and 2. Think about who took the poll. I'd bet most of them were children during the rise of the Pokemon franchise. Yet another point to consider is that Generation 1 Pokemon are the most recognizable to non-Pokemon fans.
Are you honestly saying a poll voted by non-fans who only played/started with gen 1 or 2 would hold accurate results? Ignoring children (THE target audience), competitive battlers and long time fans (who tore apart the poll, as I stated before) who have no reason to be or vote in IGN for respective reasons? Yeah.

Also the non-Pokemon fans statement is BS. Do you have any evidence to back that up? Don't you mean adults who played Pokemon before or are familiar with it? Pikachu is pretty much the only gen 1 Pokemon being marketed today. Lucario IS hugely iconic today, not Pikachu-levels but to the point where most people (particularly children) are familiar with him.

Anyway, your complaint is ill-founded to begin with. Lucario himself ranks 32 on the list, and this is the exact quote they used for his entry:
What complaint? That Lucario didn't end up in the list? I never said that.

Lucario is certainly popular, but he's not more popular, which is the point of yours that I am refuting.
I still haven't seen anything that suggests that Mewtwo and Charizard are more well-known and popular, but I'm not denying their popularity either. All I'm saying is that it's not far-fetched to think he's as popular if not more, and you're pretty delusional (and probably biased) if you deny that. This is the only place where I've seen people deny it, which actually surprised me.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Things to take into account when talking about Pokemon popularity.

1.- The show counts.
2.- Smash Bros counts (Trainer appeared in the BOX for Brawl, so far, no character from a SSB boxart has yet to leave)
3.- Gens 1 and 2 got remakes while gens 3 and 4 were going on, therefore are almost/equally as relevant as they are.

I know a lot of people who wouldn't give two **** about Lucario if it weren't for Brawl. :D Yet now they like him.

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
That's not even comparable. Or are you saying polls are the same as a tournament?
They are perfectly comparable. In a tournament, two competitors are pitted against each other, and ideally the one with the most skill advances. Similar situation here, but the quality being gauged is popularity. It's a perfectly legitimate way to make a list.

Are you honestly saying a poll voted by non-fans who only played/started with gen 1 or 2 would hold accurate results? Ignoring children (THE target audience), competitive battlers and long time fans (who tore apart the poll, as I stated before) who have no reason to be or vote in IGN for respective reasons? Yeah.
Who are you to say that non-fans made up a significant portion of the votership? Who are you to say that people who started with Gen 1 and 2 aren't fans? Wouldn't non-fans simply not vote? Children are the target audience for Pokemon, but the passage of time causes new children to be born and current children to grow up, so thus each Pokemon generation targets a slightly different pool of children. That said, today's target audience is being introduced to Mewtwo. Regardless, children were not the target demographic of this poll, if only because this poll was hosted on the internet.

The poll gave an accurate view of general popularity in the eyes of the internet masses.

Also the non-Pokemon fans statement is BS. Do you have any evidence to back that up?
For the sake of this argument we're interested in people who are not necessarily Pokemon fans, but are still gamers, and would thus play Smash Bros. IGN's populace would qualify. I am going to assume the majority of IGN's readership are in their late teens and early twenties. People who are in their late teens and early twenties today were the target when Mewtwo and Charizard were at their most promoted. That demographic grew older, and now serves as the majority of gamer culture on the internet. Even if they weren't Pokemon fans, they are more likely to recognize Mewtwo or Charizard than they are a Pokemon that came 3 generations afterward, no matter how much it was promoted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom