• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

im new to using kirby, please critique my videos :]

HaPPyTheCoW

Smash Apprentice

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Okay, some quick advice:

Kirby vs Fox vid
Don't get u-air'd. That's always good advice. Ha ha. When Fox is at higher percents, don't go for F-airs (unless they're the only thing that can hit). B-airs and U-airs can get him off the stage, or outright KO him. When you used a ledge-cancelled Final Cutter at the end, you should have ledge-hopped into a Swallow and caught him as he shielded. Kirbycide FTW! Instead your F-air was blocked and you got u-aired. :(

Kirby vs Peach vid
If you're going to get grabbed by Peach, at least DI behind her, no sense in getting up-smashed if you don't have to. You can crouch under her grab attempts (just remember to avoid her D-smash). F-airs are pretty good approaches on her, as they can get her into the air, especially if she happens to DI up. Against crouch-cancelling Peaches, use D-air (and grabs/Swallow). She's more vulnerable when above you, so hit her with U-air. U-tilt to B-air/U-air is too good. U-throw at low percents, D-throw at high percents.

Kirby vs Falco
The best thing you can do in this situation is learn avoid and DI Falco's attacks, because, let's face it, Falco is faster, stronger, and combos more easily than Kirby will ever be able to do. Crouch under his laser spam (Power Shield as they fly over your head to send them back at him). He will usually go offensive after this and move in for an attack, generally N-airs and D-airs. If you're doing your job of avoiding his attacks, you should be able to get in some attacks of your own; make sure you're working at getting him off the stage as soon as possible (B-air, F-tilt, D-tilt, B-throw). From there, edge guard (D-tilt, D-Smash, B-air) if he can get back onto the stage, or if he's out a bit further, grab that ledge and edge hog him (you can ledge-drop into B-air/U-air to keep him away). U-tilt and D-throw when you can get them in for juggles and tech-chases.

Buttcrust

Smash Ace
In addition to what T!mmy said:

Learn to smash DI Fox's u-airs.

Crouch Peach's dash attacks also. I know this is dangerous against her but you just have to read the player. It leads into easy smashes and grabs.

Don't use the dash attack so often. It sucks.

But you play a nice Kirby nonetheless.

HaPPyTheCoW

Smash Apprentice
thanks for the critiques! the front and back throws were unintentional, sometimes when i want to do a downthrow, i mess up. if i want to do a ledge-hop into a Swallow, do i push down + jump + B ? or away from platform + jump + B ? away from platform + jump towards platform once + B ? hahah i have never successfully done it before because i mess up so i think i am doing it wrong. im going to try to keep all the advices in mind, and hopefully get better :]

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I just push: down, jump, Neutral-B to do a ledge-dropped Swallowcide. If you push away from the ledge instead of down to drop, you might flip around and do a "reversed" Neutral-B.

skellitorman

Smash Journeyman
As Buttcrust said you must avoid using the Dash A altogether. It will punish you more often than hit the opponent. You should also try to get a little bit more accurate with your moves. In the match against the falco you were grabbing when the opponent was far away from you or behind you. You should also practice your dodging skills more. I think kirby is great at ducking under moves/ spott dodging/ dash dancing/ and wave dashing/ and air dodging (well for last resort dodging). Try not to get hit as much since kirby can get comboed easily, and dies at low percentages. For Falco i have found that the copied short hopped laser and long jump laser works very well againt him although if you spam it then he will figure out a pattern and punish you, unlike falco who could spam much easier.

Me and my brother are very Decent smash players to say the least. I main kirby and he mains Falco. If i could only record some of my matches so you guys could see them. Jit (on smashboards also) has recorded some of my old matches but for some reason he has not put them on as far as i know.

HaPPyTheCoW

Smash Apprentice
hello all, i have some updated videos of my kirby. out of maybe 30 games, i won 2 :]. hahaha, it sounds pathetic but i am happy. i try to keep all the advice given in mind when i play. it is hard to kick bad habits though. anyway, here are some more videos, please critique these as well (i hope i look like i improved, lol). i picked bright stages so my camera wont refocus so much.

btw, if you see any back or front throws, using hammer on the ground, and most of the dash A, those were by accident.

i would also like some advice on how to get a combo going after a up throw and what is the best way to get back on stage while avoiding falco's spike. and is that falco good? thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plKwVuKQJRU < i win this one, yay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xei1IzIeo9w < i get 3 stocked :[

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z47zY0EmFQg < i win this one too, yay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1ROCPofBg0

theyre all vs falco

edit: skellitorman, show me your videos once you get them, ok?! i really wanna see them :]

Buttcrust

Smash Ace
Well I see much improvment. Try ducking the lasers more so you can stay mobile when Falco approaches. Maybe dashdance into a grab or wavedash away. Try to b-air him more when he approaches but at the same time be careful not to eat a laser and then get comboed. Maybe even attack yourself by jumping backwards over top of the lasers and b-airing him.

Also, when Falco d-throws you tech roll yourself just like he does to your d-throw. Teching in place just gets you smashed.

i would also like some advice on how to get a combo going after a up throw and what is the best way to get back on stage while avoiding falco's spike. and is that falco good? thanks
After the u-throw if they are close to you you can u-air them right away. If they move away from you airdodge into the ground and chase them to follow up with whatever you can. U-throw should be your main throw. D-throw is a good idea at times to mix it up, especially against Falco because Falco can't punish you out of it and it can lead into u-tilts and u-tilt combos destroy Falco because he is a FFer. U-tilt out of it or tech chase if he tech rolls like he does.

The air dodge is nice for recovering and is probably the best option more often than not here. Try dodging into the ground or as far onto the stage as possible to give yourself a chance to do something before you get hit again. F-air can also be good. You can also try to trick him by fast falling near the stage and then u-airing Falco after he does d-air. Start using Swallowcides more. Even if you aren't too good at getting them just preesenting that you're looking for those is often times enough to at least make their edgeguarding more cautious. Also, if you can grab the edge immediately hit back and jump on to the stage with an attack.

Is the Falco good? Well that's a matter of opinion. He certainly has good tech skill. But he just comes straight forward with all of his attacks and it is easy to see what is coming. But Falco is such an overpowering character that often times just good tech skill will get you further than being good at the game with a lesser character.

skellitorman

Smash Journeyman
Again i have to agree alot with buttcrust. You have improved alot like he said. As far as comboing with kirby there aren't much things that u culd do against falco or other against other characters.

Kirby comboes best when the opponent is close or DIs close to you. I always try to force my opponent near to the edge to make him DI closer to me which allows me to pull of some things.

Like this is a good trick to do. Get the falco to around 100%. Forward throw him near the edge. If he DIs back then just edge gaurd easily. If he DIs torwards you then u have an easy F-tilt which usually finishes the job or a Uair depending on how high he goes.

Another good way to combo with kirby is to do moves like Fair but hit with the fourth move so they only go a little far and follow up with something. You shuld L cancel all kirbies air moves and sometimes try to do something like a D tilt. You have to be very quick with kirby (even though his running speed needs some work) and put pressure on your opponent alot to get his comboes to work.

What i think u shuld work on most is probably ur DI, Teching, wavedashing, and L canceling skills the most for now.

O yea and good work with the grabs, i think kirby has a great grab range and a good 10% up throw. So yea use it often.

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
I never liked talking about specific things tha went wrong in the match. I focus on things that must be worked on overall.

There's a definate difference between knowing a move and just using it. It felt like you aren't sure what moves are good and bad for any given situation with fox.

The only way to help a problem like this is to spend some time training by only using one move at a time. You'll learn the ins and outs of each move. You can even do this kind of training on computers.

After you learn more, get tons of more expereince.

Experience is what makes players awesome.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
i like you:p meh that whole bit about losing so many out of 30 was hilarious..i remember those days:)

but ya..just remember, don't get frustrated playing lower tier vs high tier..you are supposed to lose unless you are a much better player...if the falco gets too good pick up a high tier to play once in a while to make you feel better..but in reality i only worry about beating people with equal tier characters for the most part

i used to main pika and yoshi back when my friends werne't as good as me..and played sheik and IC..but now that i have better competition i mostly play high tier..however, i'm browsing these forums...trying to get tips to play my brother with kirby vs his marth..he has a ways to go..that said..i'm sad that a scrub can beat me with marth..not sure how much of that is my kirby..and how much it's marth's ridiculous advantage int eh matchup..i think i would prefer falco or fox honestly

Top Bottom