• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm missing something as a Smasher

Umby

Smash Master
Don't feel like putting this in Gen. Discussion because that forum sucks.

I don't know if it's my lack of tech skill or my general mindset, but I'm a pretty mediocre smasher, and I need to find out why.

For the few of you who have seen me play, I would ask if you offered your opinions of my smash ability. For those who haven't, I can post the vids DNES recorded of his Sonic vs my Toon Link.

Boxob

Smash Champion
Well, toon link offers an incredibly boring, generally simple play style. It isn't uncommon to feel as if you're not all that great when your main doesn't have all that much depth, since it doesn't leave you much to improve on. (this is one of the reasons I've stuck with Sonic thus far) I've seen you play. You're not bad by any means. What I think you should do is pick up someone with more too it than camping and rushing with Bairs. If you don't want to have Sonic as a main, I'd suggest Fox, Marth, Wolf (not camping with wolf is indeed possible, and very fun). If you still want a challenge, pick up Link, or C.Falcon.

Browny

Smash Hater
G&W, depth? hahahahaha

turtle turtle turtle turtle dsmash

and you might as well post the videos since i dont think too many of us know what to say lol

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
The video I saw looked good to me, but I honestly don't know much about Toon Link. Most characters in this game rely on the same attacks to rack up damage, and then have a go to KO move or two. That's Brawl's fault for lacking depth, though. Not the characters.

Umby

Smash Master
Toon Link is actually just a bit more than rushing with bairs. It's just that bair is II gud. ._.

No seriously Toon Link is what you say he is now + Bow Canceling, which one of my favorite things about him and gives him a few more options.

I can probably go back to Link since I mained him in melee, but I don't know how that will turn out. I play a little Marth, that could improve, but I find him so bland. I guess I can try Fox. He appeals to me a bit more.

Vids (Not all are great matches):

Teh Umby (Toon Link) vs darkNES386 (Sonic) 1: http://youtube.com/watch?v=rkQSdkeJKjU
Teh Umby (Toon Link) vs darkNES386 (Sonic) 2: http://youtube.com/watch?v=LcHTIIz_gPs
Teh Umby (Toon Link) vs darkNES386 (Sonic) 4: http://youtube.com/watch?v=6euEjHJH5BM
Teh Umby (Toon Link) vs darkNES386 (Sonic) 5: http://youtube.com/watch?v=wGtnIGsDLag
Teh Umby (Toon Link) vs darkNES386 (Sonic) 6: http://youtube.com/watch?v=QOkeSLndtVM
Teh Umby (Toon Link) vs darkNES386 (Sonic) 7: http://youtube.com/watch?v=RvxKsAwyo70

I like 7 the most.

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
7 was actually the one that I watched. I found your problem. You should be using Retro Toon Link. Not Dark Toon Link <.<!

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Why does dnes use homing attack so much >.>
Sometimes you'd be in a position where he wouldn't even be able to hit you, and he'd try it anyways and get punished right afterwards.

Boxob

Smash Champion
Fox is not only a good, underrated character, but he takes mind games which keeps you thinking, not letting you get bored. He has combos. His only real flaw is his weight, which if you're smart, you can ovoid making that a problem. Dair combo's into anything, it's sexy. He has quick, annoying taunts. He isn't Falco or Wolf, meaning he's fun to fight. All around, I'd say he's a great character.

Browny

Smash Hater
ahhh Dnes stop using the downthrow so often! upthrow does a lot more damage and at least mix it up so you dont suffer diminishing returns.

as for teh umby is pretty obvious why you might find TL boring, spamming arrows and the b-air as an approach is good, but boring. its like olimar, if you want to win, the best way also happens to be the most boring. mixing it up with a few z-airs and some bombs might make it more interesting

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Yeah I noticed that too lol. I was giving him the benefit of the doubt but it LOOKED like he was trying to spin-shot a lot but screwing it up xD

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Umby, you're just kinda predictable. Granted, WFC makes a lot of people a LOT more predictable, since they get nervous/lose their edge, but you need to watch your rolling habits, and work on being more pressure-oriented.

Also, play people in real life more. It helps.

FrostByte

Smash Lord
You weren't doing too bad against most of my characters. Trying to evade arrows on wfc is terrible, something just forces you to run into them. I'd say stop going for off stage dairs so much unless you *know* they will hit. As for what you're lacking, I wouldn't know because I haven't played you irl. Just make sure it's not SSBM because that is like, the heart of every Smasher.

Seventh Sword

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1951-0055-5151
I'd try and be funny and say "win more", but I'm just going to say go read the non-Melee orientated guides in the Melee section (sounds weird, I know; check the Everything guide 'though, it has links to some really good material).

Umby

Smash Master
I'd try and be funny and say "win more", but I'm just going to say go read the non-Melee orientated guides in the Melee section (sounds weird, I know; check the Everything guide 'though, it has links to some really good material).
Yeah, I've read those articles before. Perhaps I should read them again.

Top Bottom