• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm kinda going through a high tier character crisis.

Crynomite

Smash Rookie
I don't know who to play I main Falcon but I need a high tier main if I actually want to place. I'm kinda looking into Roy, but I've been playing Cloud a lot and really like him but his recovery is bad, and my last choice is Marth/Lucina I've played more Marth so I'm most likely going with him but I don't really know quite yet... Help

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
If you like Cloud play Cloud. Tons of bad recoveries in the roster but people do fine regardless. You're overthinking it.

D

Deleted member

This was rude and uncalled for.

You can still use Cloud, Crynomite Crynomite . If recovery is an issue, then go for Lucina. She's currently considered to be the best sword character.
It's rude delivery, but he's kinda right.
Unless it's a big difference like Lucina to Little Mac, tiers don't really matter until you reach the top levels of play.

D

Deleted member

Maybe that's what he wants to reach.
The thing is that he's not there yet

Tiers matter once you're there

Once he's starting to play high tier players then maybe he should switch. But you don't need a high tier main to survive in any other level. If he still has the mentality of needing a high/top tier main to place, he's probably not even close to top levels.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I’m having the same with Diddy, and Ike and Lucina are my Top Tier picks at the moment.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
The thing is that he's not there yet

Tiers matter once you're there

Once he's starting to play high tier players then maybe he should switch. But you don't need a high tier main to survive in any other level. If he still has the mentality of needing a high/top tier main to place, he's probably not even close to top levels.
Yeah, no. Anyone who is serious about being competitive or interested in entering tournaments is sufficient. Everyone from all walks of life aim for the same goal when it comes to being serious about this game: being number one. Only one can reach that goal at a time. Maybe you're not as serious as the OP about this game, but don't tell him what he should or shouldn't worry about. Not only will that motivate certain types of people to prove you wrong, if the OP achieves whatever goal he's set out to do, he's more than welcome to show naysayers twice over how wrong they were to be an obstacle for him.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, no. Anyone who is serious about being competitive or interested in entering tournaments is sufficient. Everyone from all walks of life aim for the same goal when it comes to being serious about this game: being number one. Only one can reach that goal at a time. Maybe you're not as serious as the OP about this game, but don't tell him what he should or shouldn't worry about. Not only will that motivate certain types of people to prove you wrong, if the OP achieves whatever goal he's set out to do, he's more than welcome to show naysayers twice over how wrong they were to be an obstacle for him.
I, uh, don't understand the argument being made here?

My point is that tiers don't matter until you reach high/top levels of play. If he's struggling to place with his main and thinks that he "needs" a top tier to place then he's hella not at that level yet. If he wants to reach it a top tier isn't gonna carry him to that level for free.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
It's rude delivery, but he's kinda right.
Unless it's a big difference like Lucina to Little Mac, tiers don't really matter until you reach the top levels of play.
I really disagree with this. I'm far from a top player but even if tiers aren't 1-1 at all levels, a lot of characters in the higher and lower tiers still have significant enough strengths and weaknesses to still matter at mid level play.

As a mid level player in Smash 4, playing Charizard was a huge struggle. Some match ups would almost completely shut him down. Meanwhile my secondary Mewtwo, despite not having been as polished as my Zard. could hold his own in pretty much all match ups. Pretty much the only reason I continued playing Zard over M2 was out of character loyalty.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I really disagree with this. I'm far from a top player but even if tiers aren't 1-1 at all levels, a lot of characters in the higher and lower tiers still have significant enough strengths and weaknesses to still matter at mid level play.

As a mid level player in Smash 4, playing Charizard was a huge struggle. Some match ups would almost completely shut him down. Meanwhile my secondary Mewtwo, despite not having been as polished as my Zard. could hold his own in pretty much all match ups. Pretty much the only reason I continued playing Zard over M2 was out of character loyalty.
I mean, that kinda goes with the "big difference" thing I was saying. I don't remember too much about Sm4sh but IIRC M2 was near top tier/top of high tier while Zard was low mid tier/bottom tier. And I mean, if you play, say, Lucina vs a Kirby at mid/low levels of play then yeah the Lucina will have an advantage. But a Lucina vs a Falco at that same level won't have that kind of advantage. What I'm trying to (badly) explain is that tiers don't matter UNLESS there's a big difference like Sm4sh M2 to Zard.

Aquamentii

Smash Apprentice
p i c h u
:)
but in all seriousness play whoever you want. Maining a character is a personal choice in two ways:
1) You need to actually enjoy playing the character, so you have a reason to play the game, and
2) Your play style is not going to be suited to 'random online person #69's play-this-character'. You need to try out a lot of characters and determine who brings out the best in you.
I went through a similar character crisis in smash 4 and eventually settled on random because I wanted to play everyone, but that doesn't mean I don't play better with some characters and I don't enjoy some characters more than others. You're the same way.
If you want to be scientific about your decision, just try going into training and labbing out some characters that you are vaguely interested in, like Cloud. Try the different archetypes: try Ganon, try Lucina, try Pichu, try a Link (Toon Link! Toon Link! Toon Link!), try Cloud, try Sheik, try Olimar, try Daisy, try Snake, try Simon, try Fox, and then realize Pichu is really the only choice.
TLDR; play pichu

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
If I were you I'd just stick with Captain Falcon. It looks like you've mained him several times in many games, and you even have him as your profile picture.

You probably will play better with him than another character simply because you clearly like Captain Falcon a lot. That can matter a lot too!

He showed up a bunch of times in FrostBite 2019:
https://smash.gg/tournament/frostbite-2019/events/super-smash-bros-ultimate-singles/stats

It looks like very high caliber players are picking up the Falcon and competing, and he isn't holding them back.

Yung Nikey

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 5399-5236-5207
You seem like an established falcon main, why not just work on MU experience with him instead of relying on not fully developed tier lists?

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
I think what OP is actually looking for is a character they excel with rather than a top tier character, even the worst smash ultimate character can be played well. Maybe not in a competitive tournament but you can definitely get in Elite Smash with one.

You really shouldn't be concerned with tiers, but rather have you been improving your play.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I, uh, don't understand the argument being made here?

My point is that tiers don't matter until you reach high/top levels of play. If he's struggling to place with his main and thinks that he "needs" a top tier to place then he's hella not at that level yet. If he wants to reach it a top tier isn't gonna carry him to that level for free.
My point is this. Don't stand in the way of those who want to achieve something more. Better characters will give you a boost, but only to a degree. I agree with you that to some extent, work must be put into a charactet.

Top Bottom