• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Im going to go out on a limb hugely here...

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
...and say Yoshi played at full potential is at the top of middle. I don't even play Yoshi, so dont think of me as a rabid Yoshi fanboy (<_< there's alot of you guys about) but honestly, the more I see of him the better he appears. And that's not even taking into account no one can use quite possibly the most useful character specific AT in the game yet properly (DR obvz). Honestly, we just need the Fumie of Brawl to come along and start using super jumping, the tongue gimp (where he doesn't swallow), DR etc properly and he will be top of middle. Bear in mind the tier list in my mind is based on character's at there max potential, nothing to do with tournament results.

Also Yoshi is very similar to Marth in that his whole moveset is useful and people are still restricting themselves to a certain moveset.

Thoughts?

Depster

Smash Champion
I agree with that but some tier *** is gonna come in here saying yoshi sucks cause he can't jump out of his shield. All the people I play against, though, say that Yoshi is a beast cause of the crap I do to em.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
You'd be surprised, BS. Most of the rabid Yoshi fanboys aren't on this particular part of the forums, they usually tend to inhabit General Brawl or Tier Discussion.
Just a few things:
- It's spelled Fumi :)
- Certainly Yoshi has tons of potential, but it's arguable that he has more than most characters.
- Actually a few of his moves are almost useless. Fair should only be used off the edge, downB doesn't have enough priority to be too useful, and egg roll and egg lay are situational or matchup-based. That being said, his moveset certainly is diverse, but isn't entirely useful in every aspect of its diversity.

I'm pretty sure Yoshi is ending up in mid low. Not bottom, once people step it up in tournies, and not even low mid, because he's got a lot of competition in that area in the forms of Mario, Sheik, Luigi, Sonic, etc.

TheDuplexDuo

Smash Journeyman
I'm shocked he isn't higher. He can not be spiked on his second jump I have noticed. Also now in Brawl has a much easier time getting back on the stage. Oddly anyone notice how his DOWN + B now drags then my with him if they are near enough?

Is it me or is all the bad press about Yoshi is more about how Yoshi is the least POPULAR charater in Brawl? Can you think of anyone who is played less?

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
You'd be surprised, BS. Most of the rabid Yoshi fanboys aren't on this particular part of the forums, they usually tend to inhabit General Brawl or Tier Discussion.
Just a few things:
- It's spelled Fumi :)
- Certainly Yoshi has tons of potential, but it's arguable that he has more than most characters.
- Actually a few of his moves are almost useless. Fair should only be used off the edge, downB doesn't have enough priority to be too useful, and egg roll and egg lay are situational or matchup-based. That being said, his moveset certainly is diverse, but isn't entirely useful in every aspect of its diversity.

I'm pretty sure Yoshi is ending up in mid low. Not bottom, once people step it up in tournies, and not even low mid, because he's got a lot of competition in that area in the forms of Mario, Sheik, Luigi, Sonic, etc.
-Haha thanks for correcting me
-Really? I honestly believe that was is for all purposes a wavedash combined with all his other hard to pull off AT's puts him right near the top in terms of potential to go higher. I mean, he'll never outclass something like grenade countering but it's still huge.
- Interesting. Whilst I admit anywhere other then a spike another aerial is better, the little delay on the F Air is sometimes good for mindgames.

Realistically in a tier list, Yoshi I agree will never rise past low tier, largely due to his horrendous tourney outings, popularity and the fact that he doesn't look so good on paper.

Is it me or is all the bad press about Yoshi is more about how Yoshi is the least POPULAR charater in Brawl? Can you think of anyone who is played less?
Jiggs :p

SOVAman

Smash Hero
I agree with all the new thing like the DR, CG's and superjumping makes it posible for him to be middle tier. But, is that going to happen probably not but he does deserve a middle tier placement.

Mmac

Smash Lord
Honestly, I think DK was the most underused character in the past two games and the start of Brawl, but I see more and more people using him now

TheDuplexDuo

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I think DK was the most underused character in the past two games and the start of Brawl, but I see more and more people using him now
DK has much going for him now days. Mainly involving those HUGE LANKY ARMS OF RAGE! He cleaned up nicly for Brawl. I guess Yoshi didn't get the notice... that lazy creature. Sleeping on the job. ;)

Depster

Smash Champion
I'd disagree about the comment about the Fair. I find it extremely useful in one of my best combos. Fair to Uair ftw. Egg roll is pretty good approachment till you get to the 20% range, too, but I over use the yoshi bomb, which gets me in trouble.

E.G.G.M.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
I'm shocked he isn't higher. He can not be spiked on his second jump I have noticed. Also now in Brawl has a much easier time getting back on the stage. Oddly anyone notice how his DOWN + B now drags then my with him if they are near enough?

Ness doesn't get much love. And DK was arguably less popular when the game first came out (before people discovered he was actually pretty good). I don't really know how popular captain falcon is anymore.

Scala

Smash Ace
I think yoshi is the least popular easily.. Most people I talk to say "I play as every character, except yoshi"

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
Meh, I haven't seen anything from Yoshi to suggest that high of a placement, but I think he is more solid of a character then people give him credit for. I'd say high-low maybe bottom of the mid.

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
Actually a few of his moves are almost useless. Fair should only be used off the edge, downB doesn't have enough priority to be too useful, and egg roll and egg lay are situational or matchup-based.
Down-B is a fantastic kill-move around 150%, you silly-billy.

Just not from the air. And DJ-Egg-Lay cancel is a great way to mix up your approach and gimp shield-tilting a-holes like Snake.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
To RESEARCH!
OMG Jackie Chan Adventures!

Down-B is a fantastic kill-move around 150%, you silly-billy.

Just not from the air. And DJ-Egg-Lay cancel is a great way to mix up your approach and gimp shield-tilting a-holes like Snake.
The only thing I have against downB is that in the air the priority is awful and on the ground it has a lot of startup lag.

Actually, that makes me think... could you do an egg lay then turn around and downB for a kill? Or perform it out of grab release on characters like Wario if usmash isn't fresh?

Mmac

Smash Lord
Actually, if you use a Ground DownB Point Blank, then it lifts you up with him, causing a 2 hit combo and even more knockback.

And the release thing. Well testing Wario's infinite, he can also be egg layed if you wanted to easily. I am not sure on the other Chaingrabables though.

TheDuplexDuo

Smash Journeyman
My only problems with Yoshi is his throws! Too slow, also his shield seems rather unweildy. Apart from THOSE problems he isn't that bad. I mean who shields and grabs in this day and age?

Oh Shi-​

Top Bottom