• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm ending my retirement to continue Melee, and Brawl is a terrible tourney game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaddd

Smash Lord
Super Smash Brothers Brawl was released after years of delays and rearrangements. The creators of the game seemed to have one thing and one thing only in mind when creating, however. They claimed to be making the game for the fans; but it gets clearer and clearer that the simple reason behind all the hype was the same motivation behind everything in the world: money. Those of us who are members of this community have spent more than enough money on this game and other Smash Brothers games.(I myself own 2 copies of 64, 3 copies of Melee, and picked up not only the Japanese copy of Brawl, but 2 English copies as well. I've also driven thousands of miles just to play this game.) But for some reason, those of us who have spent the time to learn advanced techniques and substance to Melee were completely ignored when Brawl was in production. Tech like L-cancelling and wavedashing were removed purposely, and the creators claim that they do not wish Brawl to be a competitive game. Seeing as THIS is the competitive community for Smash Brothers, it doesn't seem to make much sense in terms of our existence. Stating quite clearly that the creators had no desire to fulfill our desires to continue to run tournaments for this game, which they obviously see as exploiting their product.

So I have composed here a list of reasons that I wish Brawl to end competitively, and for Melee to remain as the tournament smash game. Many of you will hate me for a lot of this, but I ask you to hear me out.

The reasons Brawl cannot operate as a tournament game can be divided into several different categories. They are as follows:

-Progression-

As Gimpyfish stated, this game seems to be progressing backwards. I've been playing in the tournament scene for almost all fighting games in existence for about 10 years now, and I've never seen a game that only progresses in the defensive aspect, all while subtly destroying the offensive aspect. The new discoveries in this game, even up to the point that we have taken them, have all done nothing to increase the ability to combo efficiently. The offensive strategies in this game are quickly being reduced to games of patience and waiting, much more than Melee ever had. Chain combos, juggles, linking, and even SPACING have been given the simplest of counters in Brawl: fast fall an air-dodge. The dodging system has ended juggles such as 'The Ken Combo' or even a simple 'up air to knee'. There is almost no way to juggle an opponent who has a good grasp of DI and dodging. You also maintain almost no ability to follow up on grabs. No moves have the ability to continue a combo before an airdodge can be utilized by an opponent at as low as 30 damage. The combo system is quickly become non-existent, and that seems to leave poking and running as the most efficient strategy.

All this in a game where King Dedede can down throw to down throw half the people in the game, Falco can down throw to down throw the other half. The Ice Climbers also STILL have several infinites, including one that is quite simply forward throw to forward throw, although down throw to down throw works just fine, too. Completely inescapable, by the way. There's no way to say it other than Nintendo simply dropped the ball with this one.

I'm no expert on predicting the progression of games but it seems to me that with the addition of this randomness, as well as the new system of airdodging, Brawl is constantly becoming more defensive. Almost every scenario involving an offensive attack from either player results in the other player attempting a well timed airdodge through it. The only counter for this response to your attack is attacking to attempt to mind game your opponent into dodging, and grabbing them afterwards. But not only does this reduce the strength of your attacks, but you can't even follow up on the grab, unless you happen to be Dedede, Snake, or Falco. It just seems that the game is spiraling into a 'who can poke better' type strategy game. The type of game that's too strategic to be compared to any other fighting game, despite it's attempt to be part of the genre. With the games taking longer and longer with a better ability to utilize all the free invincibility that is given to you in Brawl compared to in Melee. I'm not saying Brawl is a bad game, I'm simply saying it doesn't work well at all as a tournament game, in my experience. It CAN be run under a tournament setting, obviously, but I know for a fact that Melee tournaments took much longer to run than most people thought, and Brawl is without question much much worse about being time consuming. Which brings me to my next point.

Speed Aspects

Speaking not only in terms of the game speed itself, but the general lengths of games themselves. Now, we all know that the fast a game is, the faster the reaction times need to be, and the more overall skill it takes. I was once under the impression that Brawl was going to be as fast as Melee, and that the players simply hadn't learned to control their characters as well, yet. But I found out quickly that Brawl will in no way, shape, or form ever be as fast as Melee. The speed of the game regressed. Turning the speed DOWN? If it had been turned up, the the challenge for the game would have been increased, but Nintendo wanted a larger demographic to make more money. They geared to game to be easier to learn, and more forgiving to those unable to compete with the speed of Melee. Once again, as competitive smashers, we have been completely ignored for money.

This also leads to my next point about the speed.

In Melee, it is common practice to run a teams tournament and then a singles tournament.

In Brawl, it is common practice to try and run a singles tournament and then get kicked out by your venue before being unable to complete it.

Since the game is becoming more and more defensive, games in Brawl are lasting easily longer than 5 minutes, compared to Melee's 2 minute games. When those that are just absolutely terrible are playing(I mean, even so terrible that you can notice this early in the game), games can be drawn out to over 8 minutes.

It simply takes way to long to run a tournament for Brawl. Can you imagine a tournament like Pound being for Brawl? Teams and Singles with 3 sets of pools for each before brackets?

-Change in Target Demographic-

Nintendo has been under the impression for quite some time that the children it raised back in the 80's with it's games are still, somehow, little kids. Sonic the Hedgehog auto-runs forward on his Wii game and all guns were to be removed from Snake's characters design in Brawl for being too violent. Every game not only comes with an instruction booklet, but on screen instructions on how to play the game just in case you are, in fact, mentally ********. Simply put, the desire to reach a wider, and seemingly younger, audience has affected the Brawl's gameplay severely.

Tripping, Sweeping, Diminished Attacks.

These are just three features in the game that almost ruin it entirely. The first two are completely random, but let me talk about diminished attacks for a second.

In Brawl, like in Melee, your attacks become weaker for having used them too much. However, in Melee, the attacks only decreased in power based on percentage. In Brawl, they decrease in stun as well. The stun is only recovered by some rediculous system devised for such a purpose. This unfortunately neglects the fact that move spam is, JUST LIKE IN ALL FIGHTING GAMES EVER, a mind game in itself. This renders spamming the up air with the intent to perform a ground move useless, because after the FIRST use, your up air is now weaker, and you are at a disadvantage.

Plus I always liked the idea of losing a finals match because I tripped.

Melee is Better Than Brawl

No, trust me, it's a reason. I made a list inside of a list to attempt to prove it:

-It's faster.
-It's older and still yet to be mastered by anyone. Even though Justin Wong dominates Marvel vs Capcom 2, they've been playing that since before it's release in this country. It will also forever continue to be a part of the Street Fighter communities tournaments. It remains as the fastest fighting game ever, and arguably the most skilled player at it also manages to dominate multiple other games for a reason as simple as he is the best at the fastest fighting game in the world, so picking up others is like cake. That should kinda say something about gaining ability in games, I hope.
-Tripping is garbage.
-Ice Climbers can forward throw to forward throw. They delayed the game THAT long and left THAT in there?
-You will never, at least for a long looong long time, ever see a combo video for Brawl. And it will probably suck anyway.
-Remember all those people saying l-cancelling and wavedashing were glitches, and not meant by the creators to be used at all? The people that maintained no ability to learn it themselves and found much more desire in themselves to just non-stop john about it instead? Those people designed Brawl.
-Unless a new aspect is discovered soon to make momentum dodging more difficult, or something make the characters move faster, then tournaments will be over run by camping Snakes and even Marios. Ever tried fireball camping with Mario? It's pretty easy to be THAT effective.
-Tournaments will, for the most part, run too long to include teams.
-The new aspects to the ledge. A delay was put on being able to release from the ledge, and at the same time an auto sweetspot from under the ledge was added. Both giving both players a much better chance to get back to the stage with less precision, and ending those terrible ledge stalls once and for all. But wait, all this means is that almost everyone now has a ledge stall. For instance, with Marth, simply grab the ledge, wait a second, and then drop into the auto sweetspot back on the ledge. Hurray, the attempt to end edge infinites was futile, and now everyone can camp! Yay!

Continuing melee gives people the chance to achieve things like infinite jump cancel shines and endless tech chasing. The game will become more and more broken, giving it a competitive edge like Marvel vs Capcom 2, arguably the most broken yet inventive fighting game ever made. Brawl seems to be a terrible mess of random glitches and poking, with the occasional ability of a character to just spam moves and somehow get away with it, despite the diminishing attacks. Try spamming MetaKnight's up-b over and over again into a glide cancel. Stupid but effective.

Brawl games will seemingly take longer and longer, and the way it looks, Melee games are taking less and less time each game. One game seems efficient and skill-worthy, and the other is geared towards those who were unable to achieve the necessary skill level or discipline it takes to learn something new or inventive. Until someone makes a discovery to increase the pace of the game, or even the combo system, I'm going back to Melee and staying there. I'd rather be able to use the skills I've been working on these past two years, rather than play a game that gets more and more random the more I play it.

My last point is simply that some games of Melee can end in less than 30 seconds. There are no scenarios in Brawl in which the game will end in less than 30 seconds unless both players are actively attempting to lose by self destructs. And when it gets right down to it, playing video games are fun, but in almost no way contribute positively to someone's life. They are meant to be entertainment and entertainment only. At the very least I can say by playing Melee, and I will be spending less time, game for game, than I ever could with Brawl.

Please try not to take anything I say here too seriously, this is just what I think about it right now and I'm not trying to disagree with or argue with anyone. Thanks.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Nobody cares, have fun.

Those who can't adapt play Melee, lol.

behemoth

Smash Journeyman
I am retiring from your sister, b/c your mom is hotter.
Oh wow. I can just tell that all of your other 300 something posts were merely building, leading up to this one uberpost.

please just go cut yourself.

OP is right. If you still like Brawl, play it. He was just relating his thoughts. I for one hope that other Melee players keep the scene alive.

And it's not about adaptation. If your favorite sandwich shop made this awesome freaking sandwich, which you ate every day for five years, and then announced a new, better sandwich, you'd probably all excited.

"Wow, these guys make great sandwiches, I can't wait to taste the new one" you think. And then they bring it out to you. It's got bread, and mayo. That's it.

You'd try it once, maybe twice, but then you'd go back to your old standby.

It's the same thing.

And now I'm hungry.

House M.D.

Smash Apprentice
Nobody cares, have fun.

Those who can't adapt play Melee, lol.
What's hilarious is that you express your ignorance while using the language necessary to counter your own point. I'm sure Chaddd can very easily adapt to brawl, given that he was very good at melee. But, as you say, he's going to have fun by playing melee. It's more fun for him. It's more fun for a lot of people. You have fun with brawl, but don't claim that we who prefer melee merely 'can't adapt.' that's not accurate.

Gilgamesh

BRoomer
BRoomer
You'd try it once, maybe twice, but then you'd go back to your old standby.

It's the same thing.

And now I'm hungry.
That's nice. But if people can still eat their favorite sandwich, I sure hope they could stop complaining about the new one.

It doesn't annoy me that much since I'm not into the tournament scene (which is where basically all of these complaints are aimed at), it's the fact that people keep making new threads about it instead of keeping it all in just one. (Gimpy's, just to name one, althought there was an "official complaint thread")

behemoth

Smash Journeyman
That's nice. But if people can still eat their favorite sandwich, I sure hope they could stop complaining about the new one.

It doesn't annoy me that much since I'm not into the tournament scene (which is where basically all of these complaints are aimed at), it's the fact that people keep making new threads about it instead of keeping it all in just one. (Gimpy's, just to name one, althought there was an "official complaint thread")
I agree with you there. But I can see why there are so many threads about it. People waited so long for this game that the magnitude of the disappointment is huge.

That's... that's enough justification.

Right?

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
-Remember all those people saying l-cancelling and wavedashing were glitches, and not meant by the creators to be used at all? The people that maintained no ability to learn it themselves and found much more desire in themselves to just non-stop john about it instead? Those people designed Brawl.

Well that explains a LOT.

No really....scary though..

AlexX

Smash Ace
And we should all care about this... Why?

I don't mean to sound like a troll or anything, but this is really nothing we haven't heard already. What does this topic have that they do not? And back to the original question, why should we care that you're quitting Brawl when some of us legitimately prefer it?

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
Because... just between you and me? He's God.

Yeeeeah... haven't read the whole thing, but I'm going to have to since I've read part of it now... and posted. I'll get back to this tomorrow though.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I agree with you chaddd. Eventually, everyone will realize that shielding is so much better than attacking, and then we'll really have a no-tech campfest on our hands. That said, I am looking forward to Brawl tournaments ever since that essay I wrote. Everything you said is true, but I've found that admitting that Brawl is not very competitive actually makes it more enjoyable.

But more importantly, I'm not surprised at all that there were almost no constructive posts in this thread. Good job, guys.

AlexX

Smash Ace
Yeeeeah... haven't read the whole thing, but I'm going to have to since I've read part of it now... and posted. I'll get back to this tomorrow though.
If you've read any one of the other topics about this subject, don't waste your time. I assure you, it's nothing you haven't heard before.

LouisLeGros

Smash Journeyman
I really liked this post. I thought it got a little unfair towards Brawl in the last half (ya I really just said that).

At the begining of your post you were describing Brawl in a way that made it sound like it had skill required, but was different from melee and not really practical for tournament play. I think that is an excellent observation and I would like to see a pro brawler counter that point instead of mindless trolling.

The second half of the post sort of degraded into things we have heard a million times. Camping, designed for scrubs, no skill... etc

However, I think your main point was really good and well thought out, it could have been a bit more respectful though. You would probably have gotten the same response for the brawlers anyways though.

Every criticism of the game is not an insult to your mother.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
If you've read any one of the other topics about this subject, don't waste your time. I assure you, it's nothing you haven't heard before.
Except I have a LOOOOOT of time on my hands, so I'll probably read it anyway, just to see his view ^^

Raikage

Smash Apprentice
Melee is better because Brawl is different, uh ok. Some of your points are pure opinion, like melee being faster, therefore better. What about people who thought melee was too fast? Why are 30 second games so desirable?

Your post is 90% garbage, if you prefer melee, go for it, but your puerile attempts to downtalk Brawl while placing melee on an untouchable pedestal are pretty pathetic.

Finch

Smash Lord
Melee is better because Brawl is different, uh ok. Some of your points are pure opinion, like melee being faster, therefore better. What about people who thought melee was too fast? Why are 30 second games so desirable?.
people who thought melee was too fast were probably bad at it. Chaddd's post is not for them.

Raikage

Smash Apprentice
people who thought melee was too fast were probably bad at it. Chaddd's post is not for them.
Sweeping generalisation, goooooooo!

P.S People who played Marth were probably bad at the game.

Yumil

Smash Cadet
The metagame is going backwards? I don't know what you mean. I mean, with almost EVERY multiplayer game(they have to have somewhat new mechanics, total rehashes dont count...Im looking at 1 billion fpses right now) I've played its followed the same pattern.

First comes the willy nilly playing, this is usually just offensive/defensive mix with no real knowledge of the game. First month or two of the game is usually this(heck can last longer). It can make it seem like the meta is very aggressive, but most of that is due to people not knowing the game and taking initiative.

Then comes the phase of defensive strats. The easiest strat to pull off is the ones that focus on defense. As people learn the game, they will most definitely do the best with a defensive strategy. I'm not saying it's better, but it is natural to lean towards it in the begining. Our tier lists will start to show the more defensive characters as top tiered.

As the game gets older and people get used to both the mechanics and the defensive metagame, offensive tactics will start to take rise. People will start being more well rounded, heck even some will become extremely aggressive. For a time the people with new aggressive tactics will become top dogs as not many people will be able to adapt(those that will are very good players) fast. The tier list will go more in favor towards aggressiveness.

Finally, at the end of its life, most everyone will be well rounded and the extremely defensive and offensive players will be the minority. You'll see both brands of tactics win, but for the most part the people who do equally well in defense and offense will win.

People seem to think that because they were blindly rushing in before means the game is progressing backwards. Its not.

FrostByte

Smash Lord
People seem to think that because they were blindly rushing in before means the game is progressing backwards. Its not.
What, in melee? You had to play a very tight bait game if you wanted to approach. Because of the lack of manouverability, these options are gone. People who rush in blindly usually get punished.

I don't understand why you would include something like that in your post without knowledge on how it works. I think Non-competitive players shouldn't just try to assume when they post as it gets annoying.

Yumil

Smash Cadet
You dont get the point I was trying to make. I didn't literally mean they were running in without any thought. What I meant was they were playing the game without very much knowledge of it. Now that they are starting to learn they are sticking to the easiest way to win.

Tin

Smash Journeyman
I agree with you chaddd. Eventually, everyone will realize that shielding is so much better than attacking, and then we'll really have a no-tech campfest on our hands. That said, I am looking forward to Brawl tournaments ever since that essay I wrote. Everything you said is true, but I've found that admitting that Brawl is not very competitive actually makes it more enjoyable.
Can't say I agree with you.

Shielding is better than attacking? Probably, but if your opponent is shielding, what's stopping you from running up and grab? True you can't do much out of a grab these days, but that should stop them from shield spamming, right? Learn to adapt. And what do you mean by no-tech campfest? Believe it or not, camping actually takes skills in order to be effective. Pit does not win by simply running around and shoot arrows. If you're an intelligent player at all, you will find your way out of being outspammed. Like *omg* fastfall airdodge, use a counterpick to your advantage. Now I don't deny that camping is lame and stupid, and that camping gives some characters a harder time than others, but if that's how the metagame is, then learn to adapt or don't play at all.

At this point and time in Brawl, combos aren't really combos, technical skills aren't REALLY technical skills, but there's still mindgames. In a game where you can't waveshine to shinespike to end the match in 30 seconds, and instead must rely on a little poke here and there, thinking is heavily endorsed. So I'm very sorry you can't go ape**** with your amazing technical skills, but that's just how things are in Brawl.

Have fun playing Melee. It was a good game.

LouisLeGros

Smash Journeyman
The metagame is going backwards? I don't know what you mean. I mean, with almost EVERY multiplayer game(they have to have somewhat new mechanics, total rehashes dont count...Im looking at 1 billion fpses right now) I've played its followed the same pattern.

First comes the willy nilly playing, this is usually just offensive/defensive mix with no real knowledge of the game. First month or two of the game is usually this(heck can last longer). It can make it seem like the meta is very aggressive, but most of that is due to people not knowing the game and taking initiative.

Then comes the phase of defensive strats. The easiest strat to pull off is the ones that focus on defense. As people learn the game, they will most definitely do the best with a defensive strategy. I'm not saying it's better, but it is natural to lean towards it in the begining. Our tier lists will start to show the more defensive characters as top tiered.

As the game gets older and people get used to both the mechanics and the defensive metagame, offensive tactics will start to take rise. People will start being more well rounded, heck even some will become extremely aggressive. For a time the people with new aggressive tactics will become top dogs as not many people will be able to adapt(those that will are very good players) fast. The tier list will go more in favor towards aggressiveness.

Finally, at the end of its life, most everyone will be well rounded and the extremely defensive and offensive players will be the minority. You'll see both brands of tactics win, but for the most part the people who do equally well in defense and offense will win.

You don't seem to understand the implications of hitstun, move degradation and just how much of an advantage the player on defence has. It is going to lead to defensive games where neither party will want to approach and you will have to force your opponent into messing up or making it so they have to approach.

I'm not saying this doesn't require skill, but there was someone on this board that was an avid chess player (can't think of the user name right now, good poster even if we disagree on a lot of matters). He liked these elements. I'm sort of a fan of chess, but I'm no where near serious with it. However, when I play chess it is a game of thinking and making the oppenent do what you want. Brawl on a basic level is like this, but doesn't require anywhere near as much thinking and mistakes aren't as costly (you get reset to neutral a lot).

You are expecting advances to come out of game that has been simplified with fewer options and thus has fewer opportunities for exploits. Yes the metagame will improve and offensive options will improve, but the defensive meta game isn't going to stay still and because of the basic game design it will always have the advantage.

Then like said in the original post, this is far from ideal for tournament play.
It doesn't not require skill, it doesn't mean that it requires less skill (prehaps less technical skill).

People aren't giving up on Brawl competitively because they can't win, it is because they see no point with it and don't have fun. Sure you could turn items on and make it FFA and we would have some fun, but that doesn't work with tournament play.

Yumil

Smash Cadet
I understand not wanting to play a defensive game, I can even understand why people think it'll stay like this, but I still think the decision is premature. If in a year good offensive player don't start making a show, I might say you are completely right. However we are only nearing the 1 month mark and in my eyes the metagame is right on schedule.

AlexX

Smash Ace
I think in time we'll find a way around the camping problem. After all, it took what? 3 or 4 years before Melee's famous wavedashing and etc. were discovered?

That's the problem with both sides... Doesn't matter whether you like Brawl or believe it should die a horrible death, it's simply too early in the game's life to make any final calls on it. Why do you think there isn't an official tier list or list of legal stages released?

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)
I think in time we'll find a way around the camping problem. After all, it took what? 3 or 4 years before Melee's famous wavedashing and etc. were discovered?

That's the problem with both sides... Doesn't matter whether you like Brawl or believe it should die a horrible death, it's simply too early in the game's life to make any final calls on it. Why do you think there isn't an official tier list or list of legal stages released?
It was a year at max before wavedashing was discovered, and probably one more until it was widely used.

That means 2 years after release, people were wavedashing, not 3-4 before it was even found.

And of course l canceling was there from SSB 64.

AlexX

Smash Ace
It was a year at max before wavedashing was discovered, and probably one more until it was widely used.

That means 2 years after release, people were wavedashing.
That bodes even better for Brawl. It means within a couple years we will start getting the more advance techs people are seeking.

Granted, stuff doesn't happen overnight, but as long as people put effort into evolving the metagame, it will.

EDIT: Blah, ninja-edits do me in once again... Still, it shows that Melee's metagame didn't get to where it was within a month like people are expecting with Brawl. It took a couple years, so it's not unreasonable to expect Brawl to take the same amount of time.

Mann

Smash Ace
How do these relate to Melee to Brawl? Compare the amount of players that started playing Melee, and the amount of players starting Brawl. Huge difference.

Finch

Smash Lord
You people new to competitive smash don't understand because you haven't been to tournaments or participated in the discussions going on among the best players in regional zones or whatever, but trust me, brawl will never be a game in which aggressiveness is rewarded on a competitive level. And no one will ever do cool combos. Brawl's DI and low hitstun and air dodging just won't allow it.

You know which character can actually do 0-death combos in brawl? Ice Climbers. And their grab combos are completely inescapable on neutral stages until death. That's the only character. Except dedede against a wall of course. Isn't Brawl fun?

Brawl is awesome to play with your friends when you're just hanging out. No one is disputing that. If that's all you do with brawl stop posting in this topic because it's not for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom