• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm DanGRous!!! (6 vids)

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well, I finally decided to put up some newer vids. They're not that great, but what the heck.

I'm very sorry about the horrific quality guys.
(If you're prone to having seizures or eye spasms, don't watch these)

...No, seriously. I'm not joking here...

Anyways, I'll try to get some better vids up when I get my dazzle = much clearer quality.

Meh...I could john about some things... *cough* *cough* *extreme rustyness... camera shyness* *cough* *cough*... buuuuut I'm a cool kind of guy- so I won't. XD

Well, it's me versus pop's sheik: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0adqRNR2AQg
Here's some cool music you can play it to if you can't stand the sound quality either:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smE-uIljiGo&feature=user
I did find the sound of the yellows cool to hear though, lol *pztztzt*

2- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aynx8LSH_m4
more cool music- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O2aH4XLbto&feature=user

3- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UYus1kleb8
mas musica-(starts at 0:16) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYrf_eHCwqY&feature=user

4- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeW4CiLVObw
*insert music here*

5- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHst6R1CnsY
6- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBw6RP9fgkA

Excellence

Smash Champion
Not too bad Dan. I liked the use of Whistle to recover, but I'm not sure thats what I would've done while you were on stage. The reason being is because your Whistles didn't lead up to anything, they pretty much just allowed Shiek to get some free damage. I guess you could argue that you didn't want to be juggled, so nevertheless it wasn't a bad decision. Just know that all of Shiek's attacks outprioritize Olimar's Fair/Bair and Up/FSmash. The only way to clank with them is if her attacks don't touch Olimar's body which takes exact spacing.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I've played over a thousand matches against sheik. Airdodging doesn't work against Sheik. Trust me. Whistle is the best thing to use against her when I'm trying to recover and get back on the ground. It's the only way to, as you said, keep from getting juggled forever.

Sheik's attacks own all of Olimar's attacks. *cries* The only way to hit her is to hope she messes up her spacing, she lands on a platform, or to use perfectly spaced pivotgrabs/ fsmashes. It's unfair.

thanks for the comment

Barge

All I want is a custom title
Oh, you expected my opinion?

-Doesnt have one-

Cool video :D

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Come on. give me your worst. I take criticism very well.

edit: video #2 is on its way.

BlackWaltzX

Smash Lord
Recommendations (Bad parts)
I'd try to watch your line alot more. Especially the whites.
I'm probably wrong, but can you not dthrow shiek twice then fair while she's at 0%?

Uhm... If you successfully dair an opponent into the stage like you did on the second video, you can FF and follow what they usually do. I'd go with FF next to them, shield and after they move, dsmash. The next time you dair them, try nairing into dsmash/upsmash.

Important! After killing someone, you must live to land a hit or so! Not even that, but just the two seconds try to outlast. I saw a couple times you'd just try to dodge in the center of the stage just to be baired by shiek to die yourself. Try things like jumping all the way off the stage and UBing to recover so you can camp them till they are vulnerable again.

Good things..
You whistled nicely, even if by spamming, you stopped some things that would kill you.
Good use of ledge drop to rising bairs though. Has more priority than any or most of shiek's moves.

IcyLight

Smash Lord
i've seen worse quality...trust me xD

anyways, does anyone else find sheik to be a pain in the *** to fight when they are actually good?

Excellence

Smash Champion
I noticed a lot of times you jumped up from the ledge when she was edgeguarding you. What you need to start doing is dropping down and coming up with rising Up Airs. Shiek's got nothing on your Nair and you can drill her out of your face.

Another thing I'd like you to try is a different combo. The DThrow > FAir will get very predictable and won't work if you continually use it. I suggest using this: DThrow (option of a second DThrow) > Nair > Up Air > Pikmin Spear. I've been using that combo for a long time and it works great.

Another combo you could try on characters of Marth's weight and above is: DTilt, DTilt, Dtilt, Dtilt, Up Tilt, Up Tilt, Up Air, Pikmin Spear. Sounds like it wouldn't work but it becomes near inescapeable if used at around 5 - 11%.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Recommendations (Bad parts)
I'd try to watch your line alot more. Especially the whites.
I'm probably wrong, but can you not dthrow shiek twice then fair while she's at 0%?
Trying not to john, but it's very hard to watch the line when fighting sheik. She's just so freakin fast that you can't look at Olimar. You've got to focus on sheik's movements. You can't dthrow>fair twice.

Uhm... If you successfully dair an opponent into the stage like you did on the second video, you can FF and follow what they usually do. I'd go with FF next to them, shield and after they move, dsmash. The next time you dair them, try nairing into dsmash/upsmash.
oo, will do. Pops is particularly good at avoiding techchasing though. :urg:
Important! After killing someone, you must live to land a hit or so! Not even that, but just the two seconds try to outlast. I saw a couple times you'd just try to dodge in the center of the stage just to be baired by shiek to die yourself. Try things like jumping all the way off the stage and UBing to recover so you can camp them till they are vulnerable again.
lol, I noticed that after watching the vids as well. It was mostly an attempt avoid standing near the edge so he'd knock me off.

Good things..
You whistled nicely, even if by spamming, you stopped some things that would kill you.
Good use of ledge drop to rising bairs though. Has more priority than any or most of shiek's moves.
meh, I thought my whistle use was poor.

i've seen worse quality...trust me xD

anyways, does anyone else find sheik to be a pain in the *** to fight when they are actually good?
yup. I think it's advantaged sheik actually.

I noticed a lot of times you jumped up from the ledge when she was edgeguarding you. What you need to start doing is dropping down and coming up with rising Up Airs. Shiek's got nothing on your Nair and you can drill her out of your face.
yeah, I should do that more often.

Another thing I'd like you to try is a different combo. The DThrow > FAir will get very predictable and won't work if you continually use it. I suggest using this: DThrow (option of a second DThrow) > Nair > Up Air > Pikmin Spear. I've been using that combo for a long time and it works great.
nothing else works. trust me. Dthrow>fair, as predictable as it is, is the only thing that works against pops. There aren't any uses of upsmash or fsmash after a dthrow against pops. I'd like to record some matches playing against someone that hasn't memorized all of Olimar's combos. :/

Another combo you could try on characters of Marth's weight and above is: DTilt, DTilt, Dtilt, Dtilt, Up Tilt, Up Tilt, Up Air, Pikmin Spear. Sounds like it wouldn't work but it becomes near inescapeable if used at around 5 - 11%.
consecutive dtilts don't work. consecutive uptilts don't work either. Those are only for the spacies and the very heavy characters, and it's still avoidable after the second dtilt or first uptilt. They just have to DI and airdodge.

Thanks guys

asob4

Smash Champion
great critique zori lol

uhh
in the first one there was a surprising amount of mistakes
in the others you did better

nair and up tilt work great
more up tilt!!

don't know what else to say :/

popsofctown

Smash Champion
The worst Olimainer, DanGR, regularly and routinely wins a disadvantaged matchup. ????

Pick it one way or the other Daniel. I beat Duchock so i know i'm somewhere around average.

You are either extremely good and the matchup is disadvantaged, or just significantly better than me and it's even. Wait, either way you can't call yourself the worst Olimainer.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
"the worst olimainer" was a joke. Of course I don't think I'm awful. you know that.

The reason I win the matchup "regularly" is because you don't take criticism well at all. You largely ignore any tips I try to give you, even the things that "routinely" cause you to lose. It's disadvantaged for Oli whether you except it or not. All of Oli's weaknesses are easily exploited by sheik. Don't give me that crap.

Edit: Ninjalink's diddy beat M2k's MK in tourney. MK is a much better character though and has the advantage on diddy. Does that make NL better as a player? No. Everyone would tell you that.

Also, if you think Olimar is top-of-high/top tier, go complain in the tier discussion thread and give them your reasons. It's called johning if you don't.

Dyyne

Smash Ace
You both suck pretty badly...I didn't see any attempt to hit the balloons at all, even when one of you were dead. I expected better...

Srsly though, good matches. Couple things I saw though. Sometimes you would have sheik grabbed with a blue when she was at a high %, and you d-throwed, where a b-throw could've killed, since it was fresh. Whenever you grab with the white pikmin, always pummel even if theyre at a low %, because it will likely deal more damage than a throw, and combos aren't reliable enough, imo (unless they're at like 1-20, but i saw it when he was at 30ish). Also, when sheik does the jab combo, try to di behind her instead of just out of it, cuz then you can do a d-smash or something that she might not be able to stop because of the ending lag on the jab combo.

GGs

Onxy

Smash Lord
If it's Shiek that does well at exploiting his weaknesses, then fine, but Shiek isn't the only one who can stick her ugly foot out, and have priority over the Pikmin. Everyone can do this; especially with a lingering aerial. I personally don't know how Shiek has an advantage over Oli, but what do I know; I'm not an Olimar main.

Excellence

Smash Champion
"the worst olimainer" was a joke. Of course I don't think I'm awful. you know that.

The reason I win the matchup "regularly" is because you don't take criticism well at all. You largely ignore any tips I try to give you, even the things that "routinely" cause you to lose. It's disadvantaged for Oli whether you except it or not. All of Oli's weaknesses are easily exploited by sheik. Don't give me that crap.

Edit: Ninjalink's diddy beat M2k's MK in tourney. MK is a much better character though and has the advantage on diddy. Does that make NL better as a player? No. Everyone would tell you that.

Also, if you think Olimar is top-of-high/top tier, go complain in the tier discussion thread and give them your reasons. It's called johning if you don't.
Shut up, Dan. *Hits Dan with a purple pikmin and drags his body off the topic*

If it's Shiek that does well at exploiting his weaknesses, then fine, but Shiek isn't the only one who can stick her ugly foot out, and have priority over the Pikmin. Everyone can do this; especially with a lingering aerial. I personally don't know how Shiek has an advantage over Oli, but what do I know; I'm not an Olimar main.
I'll agree with you Onxy (that's a first), after all of our testing we've come to the result that lingering aerials utprioritize all pikmin attacks except Uair and Pikmin Spear.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
The priority issue isn't an issue against most characters. Olimar is fast and quick enough to avoid this priority disadvantage altogether in most matchups. Sheik, though, is so fast, lagless, and quick in every aspect of her game that it can make attacking her impossible in many situations. Ex. Her jabs used directly after any aerial will beat out any kind of OoS retaliation including grabbing! No shieldgrabbing? how do you deal with that besides rolling away? When you roll away, you just get another very quick SHaerial>jab, quick running grab or dash attack, ftilt, (which will beat out everything you have), or my favorite, needles. (16% damage I think, maybe 18)

-ALL of sheik's ground/aerial attacks will beat out ALL of your ground/air attacks. (except your upair, but her dair beats it out I think) Olimar has virtually NO priority on sheik at all. (and yes, I know about the clank crud and lingering aerials) You know what? They're all quicker than all of your attacks too!
-ALL of her aerials are faster than all of your aerials.
-Also, ALL of them beat out ALL of your attacks. (even uptilt)
-ALL of her ground attacks, (excluding her smashes) are faster than ALL of yours.
-ALL of these attacks put too much shield pressure on Olimar for shielding to be a viable options in ANY sitation. I shouldn't be using the shield at all. The only reason I do is because I can get away with it by mess up her spacing sometimes, which is very difficult to do.

Ok, so she's got you beat in the air and on the ground. Let's look at her supposed killing problem.

You're light. If the Sheik doesn't want to switch to zelda for the kill, she can use either upb, any smash attack, or edgeguarding to kill reliably. Her best option is gimping, which she happens to be very good at.

Every part of this matchup points towards an advantage for Sheik, except kill power. no-one has yet to refute this with any facts. Right now, I'm just looking for some sort of breakthrough- some attack that will consistently beat out something that Sheik has. I'm clueless.

Edit: *sigh* excellence is right. It doesn't really matter. By recording these videos I was really just looking to get better. I wasn't trying to prove a point. Anyways, any more tips? I'd like you guys to unload everything you could find about my game that didn't work well/well enough. (even if it means telling me I suck or w/e. I don't really care)

RichBrown

Smash Master
I haven't even watched these yet ( trust me, i will, I'm always on the lookout for new oli vids) but I was reading a little bit of the discussion, and I just wanted to let you know that Dthrow-Fsmash at low percents is very nice on sheik.

I lost to a sheik at palmdale yesterday... he was really good, it came down to the final stock on the 3rd match. I had him at 147, I was only around 70-80, and I freaking ran into a grounded upB, then got edgeguarded nicely. I was freaking off yesterday man.

cloudz

Smash Journeyman

that last combo sounds so bad *** ;)

popsofctown

Smash Champion
ok, you can keep your opinions Dan. Just don't call yourself a bad Olimar, in joking or serious. remember sarcasm X internet

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
ok, you can keep your opinions Dan. Just don't call yourself a bad Olimar, in joking or serious. remember sarcasm X internet
Ask everyone here if they think I'm good or not. I don't even know. No-one talks about skill level here in the OIi boards. We don't really care, lol.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
Because apparently all we olimar mainers do is
"Throw pikmin
Shield Alot"

:D

Top Bottom