• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Im confused about Ganon in brawl.

T03nemesis

Smash Rookie
Pretty much every video I have seen of him, 1v1 he gets wasted. Looking at his moves his tilts and neutral have great range and damage, but his Fair and Dair have been nerfed to hell and back.

The majority of videos I have seen, they try to spam Fair and fight in the air. The few moments they use some ground moves (with the exception of dash-grab spam) he seems to do better, but it never seems to last more than a moment.

Now is it really that he sucks, or are people just playing him wrong? If the majority of people are playing him incorrectly would it be possible to provide a video showing what its like when he is played right?

Mikezor

Smash Journeyman
This is my first time playing him. http://youtube.com/watch?v=CudHUC1AgDA - this match is pretty much what you have described.

From the 5 matches of Ganon I've played so far, he still has a good up air and down air. His forward tilt has mega range and little start up lag. His down tilt is pretty good, and his up tilt still sucks (but now acts like a vaccum and sucks the enemies into the hit). I haven't hit with his up smash yet because it's so different than Melee. Forward B seems like it will become one of Ganon's best moves, setting up insta-tech chase. Down B feels very different from the Melee counterpart because it has very strange start up lag (Ganon kind of leaps forward before the attack starts). But like you said, I was still trying to play him like in Melee. Brawl Ganon isn't terrible, he is just a different character. Tomorrow I get to play Brawl again, and I'll play Ganon a lot. I'll record some of the matches I play after I learn how to play him better.

I forgot to say some things. Ganon's jab is still good and very fast, and his dash attack got a major buff, it activates really really fast. Down smash is a bit faster but a bit weaker, not sure about forward smash yet. Warlock punch is faster now.

T03nemesis

Smash Rookie
Cool video, I would like to see more of them in the future! You connected with a lot more air attacks than most. To me it looks like his Dair and Fair are finishers now, instead of openers (which most people try to use them as).

~Shin~

Smash Apprentice
Now is it really that he sucks, or are people just playing him wrong?
People suck, and are playing him wrong. I've played Ganondorf more than just a few hours. Try a couple days at a friends house. I was winning most the time. They play Kirby, Metaknight, Zero suit Samus, King DDD. And a very good friend of mine (who won a pre-open box tourny) plays with me and we are 50-50, he plays ike, Wolf, and Pit.

Ganon is good, you just have to learn.
This can help.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=144632

~Shin_Ganondorf~

Phazon Warrior

Smash Cadet
Great match video Mikezor.

Watching the other videos, I do think a lot of Ganondorf players are having a hard time letting go of their Melee habits. Ganondorf's D-Air and F-Air were really good moves in Melee, since they started combos and also were pretty powerful. Judging at the match videos, they don't seem to have that same effect as in Melee.

As time goes by, we'll more effective use of Brawl Ganondorf.

Sharky

Smash Master
I started playing Gannondorf today, and i think I did pretty well. Most of my matches were against Lucario and Ike (the Ike was Kirk, so I'm talking good players here.) I had some trouble with lucario at times because Gannondorf's weight makes him a prime target for Lucario's comboing. Edge-hogging posed a problem as well. Other than that, things went great. I'm absolutely loving his ground game, his side-b is awesome, and with bigger characters can link straight into a jab, or you can tech-chase it for an awesome effect. =D The up-smash is oh so satisfying when you connect with it, it's like my new favorite attack (other than the side-b of course =D) Hopefully I can get some videos up sometime in the near future.

Tsunami157

Smash Journeyman
The game is very new so everyone is still trying to figure him out.
Heck the game hasn't even dropped in the US and Europe yet, so it will take alot more time for his game to really develop. I don't think he will ever be one of the "cool" (top) characters since he really doesn't seem like he will get anything exploitable. However if he gets a strong and dedicated community backing him, who knows what might develop :cool:

Giga Hand

Smash Journeyman
Maybe if you get a little distance (Oh wait, this is Ganondorf, so a "little" distance is impossible. Okay, a lot of distance) and follow with a dash attack, and combo from there. I've never played brawl, so I don't know how his nerfs and buffs work.

looduhcriss

Smash Apprentice
its just hard to adjust from melee - since his air game is crippled
u just gotta adapt after a couple of hrs or so

Top Bottom