• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm a N00B, help?

Cr0wbaR

Smash Apprentice
Hey, I am brand new to these forums, and I want to step up my Brawl gaming to a new level. I'm glad to see that Pokemon is on these forums too, but I think i'm pretty proficient that already. Anyways...

I am a Diddy user, my friends and I have all agreed on this. But I am nowhere near being as good as the users on this forums nor the best of my friends, which some of you beat recently at a tourney. Furthermore, i want to increase my gaming skill, and bring my Brawling to a higher level. Seeing as there is no Diddy mentor, I'll let you users tell me how to use him.

I used to be big on an aerial game, I was very proficient at using his F-Air for good knocking, and meteor smashing was very easy for me, as i was always very good at returning to the ledge with Up-b. recently i have picked up using the naners to my advantage, but I haven't used them on people just yet, but as far as Level 9 computers go, the strategy works fine (again, i said i was a noob).

I want to stay in my comfort zone, i'm still trying to get the hang of DIing (noob) but if there are specific things i need to know about using Diddy. Combos, tricks, etc. let me know! :)

Dekar173

Justice Man
You've really got to search around the forums and absorb as much knowledge about this game as possible. That'll take you furthest in comparison to everything else.

Kantrip

Kantplay
Watch videos and try to replicate ATs that are used. Shoot peanuts, throw bananas, and pillage the mushroom kingdom.

Cr0wbaR

Smash Apprentice
Thanks guys for all the help. My friends have already seen an improvement :D.

Few more problems...

The space Animals ruin all the Naners and nuts, because of their obvious down-b's, which i assume i could GT-b-d but then i am gun fodder. My strategy was destroying my one friend... until he started reflecting. What should i do? I could always go back to my original style, of straight up attacking, but it's harder to find openings. I dunno, i seem to have troubles with them.

And Meta Knight (obviously) Maybe it's just the user in general, he rather enjoys using items, so i will get them used against me. And he often spams Mach tornado which i have few moves to break it. I know the naners will and GT -b-d would work, but i can never finish because of well... it's meta knight. My D-smash won't outspeed his, my 50% aerial strategy is ruined. And often times, throwing a naner is a hinderance as it leaves me open just to throw them. and even if i try to retreat, he's meta knight. He'll catch up. Thoughts? I just think Diddy just has a problem with recovering. All of Meta's move have just a few pixels more range than mine, so once i'm in the air i'm down. I really can't figure out what to do.

T-block

B2B TST
Do you have a way to get videos recorded and uploaded? That would be the best way to get help.

Definitely don't give up using bananas against the spacies. Take advantage of the high cooldown on their Reflectors. When in a position where you would expect them to down-b (mid-range in your shield, for example), bait the Reflector, but instead glide toss towards them, throwing the banana up or down, instead of at them. You should be able to land a grab, or if at they're at low percents a d-tilt might be a better option.

Meta Knight doesn't use items particularly well actually... if you have a banana in hand, Tornado is not safe for MK to use. If he uses it anyways, shield it if it's too close (angle your shield up so you don't get poked) and punish OoS when the move finishes. F-air is really good, and can actually compete with MK in the air, although you don't really want to be fighting him there.

Vega4

Smash Ace
Thanks guys for all the help. My friends have already seen an improvement :D.

Few more problems...

The space Animals ruin all the Naners and nuts, because of their obvious down-b's, which i assume i could GT-b-d but then i am gun fodder. My strategy was destroying my one friend... until he started reflecting. What should i do? I could always go back to my original style, of straight up attacking, but it's harder to find openings. I dunno, i seem to have troubles with them.

And Meta Knight (obviously) Maybe it's just the user in general, he rather enjoys using items, so i will get them used against me. And he often spams Mach tornado which i have few moves to break it. I know the naners will and GT -b-d would work, but i can never finish because of well... it's meta knight. My D-smash won't outspeed his, my 50% aerial strategy is ruined. And often times, throwing a naner is a hinderance as it leaves me open just to throw them. and even if i try to retreat, he's meta knight. He'll catch up. Thoughts? I just think Diddy just has a problem with recovering. All of Meta's move have just a few pixels more range than mine, so once i'm in the air i'm down. I really can't figure out what to do.

Hi. All T-block said is right, so keep it in mind.

You can find a lot of information about how to fight MK here:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=303088

Also here is a video that shows how a high level Diddy should play vs MK:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWKYpkxzBtA

You can see in that vid that if you play right, you can punish every single move that MK does...

And in this topic you can find info about how to play vs a lot of characters (just click in the pic of the character you want to see):
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=300226

Cr0wbaR

Smash Apprentice
Thanks, that actually REALLY helps! That video especially :)

EDIT: Yes I can record videos, in fact I make Youtube videos on a regular basis. But My HD PVR is at my house and I do most my playing at my friends house. Maybe sometime i'll bring it over. So a video against anything other than a level 9 is hard for me right now :p

Cr0wbaR

Smash Apprentice
Ok, so i've been really getting the hang of Diddy these days, but i'm still making a huge mistake (apparently)

It seems that whenever I face a MK the moment i am in the air off the ledge i have almost NO chance of getting back on the ground. The Meta i face often doesn't chase me so i always find myself without a naner and Monkey flipping into an Up-B. My friends keep saying "save a jump" or "keep your distance" Which i always try to do, but i always find myself getting hit by the same attacks even if i do save a jump and try other tactics. When i watch my friends go Diddy - Meta i see that same problem I have so i'm still very confused at this matchup as it is by far my biggest weakness. I can take my obvious weaknesses like predictablity and simple finger slips, those can be learnt, but this is just REALLY bothering me cus i've been facing my two friends who play as Meta and I don't know whether to complain about myself or just Meta in general. Watching the Nairo-Gnes video posted, I still see that once Diddy is off the ledge at about 80% or so (it's at about the 1:50 mark in the video) I see that Diddy still can't get a break on Meta's constant aerial onslaught. I can get that Gnes won, but again, he put up a good ground game and I can except i'm not at that level yet, but Diddy has to have something when facing a Meta off the ledge or even just have some way of getting back to the ledge in general. Obviously I know fair works best, but i always find myself breaking even and we hit eachother, which does give me the chance to get back...sometimes. Obviously this is situational, but often he's either right in my face leaving me to get in the starting lag from my attacks, or he waits for me on the stage.

But again the problem comes when I CAN get the ledge, but nothing more. Just grabbing the ledge. If i wasn't guarded he'll just sit above/close to the edge, I obviously can't wait since i'll just be open to the spike from up-b or just getting hit with dsmash if he waits on the ground next to me. I feel i've tried everything, letting go jumping up fair, straight jumping, dropping away jumping to side b kick, falling off to up-b., Dropping off to neutral b, rolling, attacking etc. I still can't find an opening because the landing lag alone leaves me open to getting grabbed or to the down smash. Jumping just leads to a Meta fair that I can't even fair early enough to hit back with. rolling leads to a meta dsmash, and attacking often comes up short but i'm often over 100, so that leads to slow attack anyway.

Sorry, just this has been REALLY bothering me, and i've been annoying my friends with my complaining already as is. They won't tell me what to do, and as i said they try to show me in their games where my one friend (who's proficient with most characters) goes Diddy and "show me spacing" and stuff like that but still I just see a diddy having 0% chance of getting to the ledge once he has about 70% or so off the ledge.

i REALLY wish i could show you a video, but i don't have a way of doing so, since I always play at my friends house anyway.

R e d X

Smash Journeyman
If there's a day you would like me to come over to your place to record a match or two just let me know. I'm all for improving your game (and perhaps my own) through criticism so just let me know when and we'll meet up.

kennypu

Smash Journeyman
you're missing a few get ups. When people say they have a hard time getting back on the stage, I usually see them getting on the stage normally/attack/roll, or let-go to air dodge/aerial on.
You are forgetting that you can also jump up. Jump up and air-dodge can be really useful. If you read them you can jump up and fair.

Also, if you are knocked off, and you know that they are most likely going to edge hog you pretty hard, just start charging your up-b before you get low. This way you can go towards the middle of the stage from a high distance like snake, rather than staying low which is quite dangerous.

Also, depending on the stage, you can wall jump->pull banana. This will probably make your opponent want to deal with the banana. just go on in a safe way, or you can even insta throw the banana while getting back on.

Just watch your opponents position and movement, and try to find the safest possible way of getting on. Again, w/o a video its hard to help though.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
Just remember that diddy kong is cheap and nothing he does will ever make sense. Like you can throw a nanner on top of someones head and they still slip.

Cr0wbaR

Smash Apprentice
i've tried jumping off the ledge, often i get faired while i'm jumping which leads to me having no time to air dodge. i've tried so many times i almost consider it a useless idea because it was so easily read. Up-bing early often leads to me get caught into a grab since the landing lag from my rockets is too long to dodge the grab. I get is he was chasing it would work, but i'm often camped so i still can't find any options...

thanks for the help though :)

Top Bottom