• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "I'm a Black Belt, I have no fatigue" - Sonic Discussion Thread

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
What is the timing for spin shot now?
Same as Smash 4. However with the new Spin Dash mechanics, because the hop no longer happens when it's fully charged, you have to do it before it gets to that point.

:093:

Tenki

Smash Hero
Crazy how instead of ASC shield cancel you can double jump-cancel side-b into wavedash landing before it hits the ground.

Or if you're fully charged with a side-b you can jump > release > double jump >air dodge down to cancel.

Nothing quite as safe as the brawl era shield cancels but it's better than being stuck in a long spin dash, or you can cancel to ground once an aerial side-b lands

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I finally pulled off Spinshot.

I managed to do it with Side+B much easier, and Even then the timeframe is still pretty strict, but at least I can do it consistently.

This is what I do:

1) I jump pressing the side where i'll be shooting off to.
2) Press B to spin Charge
3) Drop about 2 squares in training Room
4) Tilt joystick diagonally down
5) Release B.

Timing is almost rythmic, but with a bit of practice you start doing it consistently.
It's too bad it's not as instant as past versions, but at least it's not fully gone.

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Crazy how instead of ASC shield cancel you can double jump-cancel side-b into wavedash landing before it hits the ground.

Or if you're fully charged with a side-b you can jump > release > double jump >air dodge down to cancel.

Nothing quite as safe as the brawl era shield cancels but it's better than being stuck in a long spin dash, or you can cancel to ground once an aerial side-b lands

holy **** TENKI

YOu'RE HERE
I finally pulled off Spinshot.

I managed to do it with Side+B much easier, and Even then the timeframe is still pretty strict, but at least I can do it consistently.

This is what I do:

1) I jump pressing the side where i'll be shooting off to.
2) Press B to spin Charge
3) Drop about 2 squares in training Room
4) Tilt joystick diagonally down
5) Release B.

Timing is almost rythmic, but with a bit of practice you start doing it consistently.
It's too bad it's not as instant as past versions, but at least it's not fully gone.
It's been completely removed from Down+B as far as my testing shows :/

C52G

Smash Rookie
Sonic feels mid tier at best in this game... He has no kill confirms from what I've found and even 6WX and Jakal seem to be saying this too. He feels really good when racking up % but in a close game it feels hopeless when trying to kill even if they're at 170%, seeing as the only way I've killed with Sonic so far is by Fair when edge-guarding off-stage, punishing with Bair or getting a read and using USmash and Fsmash.

Camalange Camalange Please tell me you can save us all and you know some secret kill confirms, I'm losing faith real quick!

RedrappeR

Smash Journeyman
Sonic feels mid tier at best in this game... He has no kill confirms from what I've found and even 6WX and Jakal seem to be saying this too. He feels really good when racking up % but in a close game it feels hopeless when trying to kill even if they're at 170%, seeing as the only way I've killed with Sonic so far is by Fair when edge-guarding off-stage, punishing with Bair or getting a read and using USmash and Fsmash.

Camalange Camalange Please tell me you can save us all and you know some secret kill confirms, I'm losing faith real quick!
https://youtu.be/6tX6gDUvCnc

Spitfire16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spitfire94
The lowest I can see Sonic being is high B tier, I think he's barely holding onto a spot in A right now considering a lot of the other characters we've seen. There's a lot of mixed feelings on our boy so far, some of his players from Smash4 dropped him, but some faithfuls still remain such as 6WX, Kels and KEN, but if KEN is really considering dropping Sonic as a main like I've heard, and seen based on his twitter, then Sonic might be losing a good chunk of weight. I still want to wait for a few stacked tournament before jumping to conclusions though. ZeRo thinks Sonic is pretty high according to his recent Sonic video, like mid high.

Either way I still don't think he's bad, not at all. I've been exploring other options when it comes to characters, but I doubt I'll replace him, it feels like he's all I know at this point lol. Waiting for Sakurai to fix that Ridley instant kill on Sonic for missing a Homing Attack.

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
It's been completely removed from Down+B as far as my testing shows :/

I was wrong, you can still Spinshot from Down-B but it's way harder now. Had the most success setting L or R to Jump.
I wish. At high percents any "confirms" are pretty much a lost cause. Your safest options are getting Fair or HA offstage it seems like, otherwise you gotta get reads with Bair/Fsmash/sometimes Bthrow. He has some decent confirms at middle percents that pretty much all need to end with an offstage Fair for early kills but that's the best we got so far.
ZeRo is not the most reliable source for Sonic specific learnings.

RedrappeR

Smash Journeyman
I was wrong, you can still Spinshot from Down-B but it's way harder now. Had the most success setting L or R to Jump.

I wish. At high percents any "confirms" are pretty much a lost cause. Your safest options are getting Fair or HA offstage it seems like, otherwise you gotta get reads with Bair/Fsmash/sometimes Bthrow. He has some decent confirms at middle percents that pretty much all need to end with an offstage Fair for early kills but that's the best we got so far.

Multiple players aside from him have said similar things to his tier placement and viability. Ken also has multiple videos up now that show him 0-100ing a few people, and using F Smash and Back Air quite effectively to rack up kills.

But I feel you

C52G

Smash Rookie

Yeah it seems like there aren't any real confirms. I did see however that the weak hit of Nair looks like a true combo into back air at high percents, which may confirm into kills, though I need to test it more.

ZeRo isn't the greatest with Sonic information. He made a guide and missed quite a few pieces of information.

PF9

Smash Lord
Sonic movie trailer is out now.

I like that he has realistic fur. You see Sakurai? Sonic can work with realistic fur. (Sonic was one of four non-human mammals in Ultimate that did not get realistic fur - the others were Isabelle, Pichu and Pikachu - but the latter would get it in his own live-action movie too).

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Sonic movie trailer is out now.

I like that he has realistic fur. You see Sakurai? Sonic can work with realistic fur. (Sonic was one of four non-human mammals in Ultimate that did not get realistic fur - the others were Isabelle, Pichu and Pikachu - but the latter would get it in his own live-action movie too).
Please tell me this is a joke.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
So here’s something I’m not sure how I feel about.

I can’t for the life of me depend on spinshot when I’m playing with my default GameCube controller. I just... can’t do it. Over 50% of the times, l’m just not able to.

However... when playing with a single joycon, I get it 100% of the times.
... maybe I should only play Sonic with a Joycon? I feel really hindered without a reliable spin shot . But it’s either that or a c-stick.

:(

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208

I can’t for the life of me depend on spinshot when I’m playing with my default GameCube controller. I just... can’t do it. Over 50% of the times, l’m just not able to.

... maybe I should only play Sonic with a Joycon? I feel really hindered without a reliable spin shot . But it’s either that or a c-stick.

How are you doing it on a single Joycon? Just using the face buttons?

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose

That's just something you're gonna have to build the muscle memory for. You clearly have the execution for it because you're doing it half of the time. You just need to get your timing down. Might take some time to do it, but it's something you have to practice at before you can really start to utilize it.

And just to double check, it's not a controller issue, is it? I doubt this is the problem, but it doesn't hurt to check.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Have y'all seen Sonic movie?

Thought I'd share a cool Smash-related easter egg.

Top Bottom