• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'll never understand how guys can be sure about the director of the next Smash game

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
So going through the forum, I noticed that people said that they would not want Sakurai to direct the next Smash game because he dumbed down Brawl, certain characters aren't playable, etc. (Of course, he probably isn't anyway, but that's not the point)

So I ask this: What makes you so sure that the next director of the next Smash game, if there will be one, is going to have the competive players on his mind? The next director could make it even more noob friendly. Tripping could occur twice as often and you'll get no invinciblity frames when trying to get back up. Item switch could be gone, in which you MUST play with items.

What makes you so sure that the next director will include the character you want? Ridley could be a boss again, Krystal could be only appearing as a trophy again. We could lose characters who were playable in Brawl in the first place.

What makes you so sure that the next director will cater to your every needs?

While there is an obvious chance the next director will be a success as much, if not more than Sakurai, lay off the egocentrism that every other possible director thinks like you do.

Anyway, the rant's over.

captainfalconmute

Smash Ace
Noone is sure of anything, some people just wanted a change because they were disappointed with certain things Sakurai had done with Brawl. If people are unhappy with some of Sakurai's decisions with Brawl, you can hardly blame them for wanting somebody else at the helm for the next Smash.

Nobody knows what a game director is gonna do. Sakurai could lead the next Smash and answer all the critics which had a go at him for weakening the competitiveness of the series with Brawl by creating a sequel which caters to the wims of every Smash fan out there, whether it be by strengthening the game's competitive scale or by including certain characters which were absent last time around.

Or on the other hand, Sakurai could flop even further by doing some of the things you mentioned in your first post. You just dont know what could happen. People dont know how a new director would change Smash, they dont know if it would be for the better or for the worse. So accusing people of being so sure that a new director would bring glory down on the next Smash is inaccurate.

Anyway, after all that, I dont think there will be a next Smash.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Maybe Nintendo should admit they have a hardcore audience and just make two versions of the game.

And there will be another Smash. If there's one thing Nintendo can do well, it's pump out sequels.

Devil7

Smash Journeyman
On the edge of Final Destination waiting to kill y
THe directors of sequals always look at the gamers to see what they like and dont like as guid lines. Its not that they think like us but if they see this forum (which they do) they will think hey the players ******* hate tripping maybe it wasn't such a good idea and take it out. I gurantee that this is the only reason sonic made it in brawl was because of the community said they wanted him. This is how games sequals are always made and always will be made.

fortunArcanum

Smash Cadet
I don't get all the whining. The competitive Smash community is relatively small in comparison to the casual communtiy at large so it's perfectly understandable when you realise who the game was catered towards.

Besides, all those who hate Sakurai and love Melee seem to forget who the director for that game was as well.

Megavitamins

Smash Champion
I don't get all the whining. The competitive Smash community is relatively small in comparison to the casual communtiy at large so it's perfectly understandable when you realise who the game was catered towards.

Besides, all those who hate Sakurai and love Melee seem to forget who the director for that game was as well.
Sakurai had no intention to make Melee the way it was. He had no idea how technical / fast paced the game would become.

Omega_Star

Smash Lord
Who knows if there will even be a sequel, I might have destroyed the world by then, or at least taken over it, in which case yours truly will be directing it.

Nintendo in general seems to be heading towards a more casual audience. Have you ever played Mario Kart Wii? If the derivative of Nintendo's curves of focus was to be taken around this area of time, it would indicate that Nintendo is moving toward a casual audience.

But why the hell is anyone even thinking about the next Smash right now? That's probably at least five years away. Don't you have better things to think about, like school or girls or the meaning of life? Or at least the present?

Pubik Vengeance

Smash Journeyman
Maybe Nintendo should admit they have a hardcore audience and just make two versions of the game.

And there will be another Smash. If there's one thing Nintendo can do well, it's pump out sequels.
Yeah, but the things is, a hardcore game can easily function as a not so hardcore game as well. Look at Melee.

Also, an example that comes to mind is Virtua Fighter. It is made to be very technical, but you can really button mash to a modicum of success. Team Fortress 2 comes to mind as well.

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
Seems like... Somebody doesn't do their job right, fire em. Sure, the next person you hire might be worse, but then you just fire him and try again. You might get a better person, too. What is known for certain, however, is that if you keep the current person, nothing will change.

BOFO

Smash Cadet
I don't see another one coming really. Brawl pretty much closed it off for me, as it is seemingly flawless it mostly every way.

hoopspr226

Smash Journeyman
^^^ -__- idiot

But anyway moving on, I highly highly doubt that they will turn off item switch. Nintendo, and video game companies in general, are not out to propagate utopian ideals of equality. Their goal is to create the most marketable product that will appeal to the most people. Revenues are their goal, not philosophy. Turning off item switch would make them lose a huge market and would be an extremely poor decision.

The only negative/anti-competitive changes they made were ones that they believed competitive players would tolerate and would increase their mass appeal. They wouldn't go as far as to make changes intolerable to competitives.

Golem the Stern Father

Smash Champion
TyfighterLAND. Location#2: Illinois? Yeah.
Nintendo in general seems to be heading towards a more casual audience. Have you ever played Mario Kart Wii? If the derivative of Nintendo's curves of focus was to be taken around this area of time, it would indicate that Nintendo is moving toward a casual audience.
Automatic powerslides, even more powerful items, and a horrible cast of racers, both Brawl and MKW are prime examples of Nintendo's focus on the casuals. It will inebitably hurt them in the long run, as competative players keep a game running for years after.
I don't see another one coming really. Brawl pretty much closed it off for me, as it is seemingly flawless it mostly every way.
Let me guess, you don't main Captain Falcon .________.

Pubik Vengeance

Smash Journeyman
Seems like... Somebody doesn't do their job right, fire em. Sure, the next person you hire might be worse, but then you just fire him and try again. You might get a better person, too. What is known for certain, however, is that if you keep the current person, nothing will change.
Yeah, but say the next guy makes the game crap. Are we gonna have to wait another six years for a new game with a new director?

Sakurai is fine, and capable of making a game that is even more fine than Brawl.

BOFO

Smash Cadet
Let me guess, you don't main Captain Falcon .________.
Falcon isn't all that bad. I know someone who can actually do pretty well with him. You people need to stop thinking like there are set limits on how good you can get with characters this time around.

Also, since Sakurai is actually done after this one, I think it's fair to assume this series is over, as the game also gives you that feel from not only its completion, but just everything about it.

And if I'm the idiot hoopspr226, think about what you just said. Brawl wasn't just whipped out like Melee this time around, time was actually put forward into it, and delays were made a few times just to get everything right. Stages this time aren't as chaotic, fighting is structured much better, most glitches have been kinked out, characters are all closely balanced. Brawl wasn't aimed just for people to buy, they were trying to actually produce a good game here, plus they were obviously listening to what fans wanted at the same time, as they had taken suggestions into consideration on who the other third party character should've been (and what a waste!)

Golem the Stern Father

Smash Champion
TyfighterLAND. Location#2: Illinois? Yeah.
Falcon isn't all that bad. I know someone who can actually do pretty well with him. You people need to stop thinking like there are set limits on how good you can get with characters this time around.
I kid. There will always be character that are just better than others, tiers are inebittalbe, Falon just got the shortest straw.

Also, since Sakurai is actually done after this one, I think it's fair to assume this series is over, as the game also gives you that feel from not only its completion, but just everything about it.
Since Smash is such a sucess, I see another Smash in the future. This is one of Nintendo's cash cows, large profit. There can always be some aspect that can be added to impove a game. Mainly, Wifi must be changed from a different system. Matchmaking, a seperate channel, almost anything to upgrade from what is a dismal Wifi system. I don't see Sakurai being head director, but what mainly concerns me is if the new director continues to steer towards the casuals, rather than the competatives.

BOFO

Smash Cadet
The thing is that Nintendo didn't actually make the series, when it started it was going to be a game with generic characters, and then Nintendo gave permission to use their characters, and a beloved series was born. While it appears to really be a staple, I can easily see it being shaken off, and after the quality we got this time, I am not sure if it can get improved over anymore. I was honestly baffled when Brawl came out, as I got something much better than I had ever expected it to be. I don't deny a sequel being possible, but honestly I wouldn't see the point of another one besides money making, and even then, Brawl is already losing popularity quite quickly, in fact, too quickly. Melee was fun to people for years, and yet Brawl only got a month of attention, and people then backed out for GTA IV or Mario Kart.

We can always hope I imagine, but I'm still quite content with Brawl, and I dunno what could really be added to the series.

youngtweety

Smash Cadet
I must say that I love all the smash games so far. I don't want this to become a brawl vs other smash games (as it is already doomed to be.) But he did make your beloved past games. If you ask nicely, I am sure he will put more glitches in the next game for you to exploit. :laugh::laugh: Anyway, you don't want his "worst" smash game to be his last. He must recover!!!

hectichobo

Smash Ace

I can see it now...

Super Smash Bros. (Insert Word That Means Fighting Here) HARDCORE EDITION
Super Smash Bros. (Insert Word That Means Fighting Here) Noob Friendly. Where tripping just brings laughs, excitement, and items. There will be lots of items. :]

ZeldaSmasher

Smash Rookie
I don't even know why people are saying there will be another Smash game in the first place, there most likely won't be one.

WarxePB

Smash Ace
It doesn't matter who the director of the next Smash game is, because it will never be geared towards the competitive scene. Smash sells on its characters, because Nintendo knows that someone will buy Smash because they see Mario or Pikachu on the cover. And that's all Smash is and ever will be - a simple mascot fighter.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
you must have hit your head with a rock, but I guess that's your opinion since you might not be into competative smash like I am, but yea if there ever is a 4th Smash we really do need another director, BADLY!

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
I haven't bothered to read the thread, but I've soaked every bit of Brawl information possible during the height. One of the things I remember is that Sakurai said Nintendo didn't want to make a new Smash game without him. If Sakurai did not agree to make Brawl, they were going to re-release Melee for the Wii, but with online (which would have been much worse than Brawl due to Melee's speed).

I doubt that any possible sequel would be made by someone other than Sakurai. But that may change due to the reception Brawl has gotten. We'll see what will happen.

Stelfe

Smash Apprentice
I bet Smash will be stretched out to it's limit. (lolololololMarioParty8lolololololol)

I actually don't know what I'd do if it went over 4 games. It wouldn't seem. As cool. For some reason. Periods lol.

Omega_Star

Smash Lord
It's frustrating, because Nintendo has, in my opinion, the best ideas, but they never embrace their potential and instead **** them up. Melee was a very good competitive game, but even it could have used some touching-up in terms of the balance of characters and stuff. Instead of embracing this extraordinary competitive potential, though, they just ****ing exorcise it.

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
Lol I really don't see what you guys love so much about Melee.

Whats so deep about it?
It had a few glitches for you to exploit so you could call yourself pro.
Wow thats deep.

I'm glad this stuff was removed. It really makes a game much less fun when you have to constantly think about wave-dashing or L-Canceling.

And what is so tactical about a game where most of the fighting revolved around lagless aerials?

Brawl isn't perfect I realize that.
It has:
tripping
camping (which unlike glitch exploition is an actual intentional tactic)
chain grabs (which can just be banned in tournament play, there problem solved.)
overly broken characters (this means Snake, MK, and GaW)
comparitively bad characters (Ganon and CF especially)
horrible online (but melee had no online so its a step up)
cheap AI

But Brawl did make a lot of improvements over Melee
The removal of stupid glitches like wave-dashing
More items to choose from (ofc this is a laughable improvement)
More bosses
Improved Solo Mode (but solo only does so much for a game)
Online play (albeit bad online)
A larger roster
Better graphics

It doesn't take a lot to make SSB4 way better.
Make the roster a bit bigger (why not :))
Add more items (Just for noob play)
Remove tripping
Fix the AI
Fix the online
Buff the bad characters a bit.
Nerf the insanely broken characters mentioned above to more balanced levels.
Remove the potential to chain grab (or just ban them from competitive play)
Nerf camping by making projectiles less effective when spammed.

... So easy that even Sakurai can fix it. And that is why discussing a new director is pointless.

Pubik Vengeance

Smash Journeyman
I don't even know why people are saying there will be another Smash game in the first place, there most likely won't be one.
I don't even know why people are saying there won't be another Smash game in the first place, it is one of Nintendo's best selling series (Melee = Best selling Gamecube game ever) and Nintendo is one of the most renowned companies for milking the hell out of their franchises.

It would be like, "Okay, after Mario Galaxy, there will be no more Mario games." or "Twilight Princess was the last Zelda game."

Top Bottom