• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike's Possible Strengths

iron blade

Smash Ace
what about his side special? it seemed pretty fast without charging it... (mostly just bumping this to get rid of that freaking 'ike is gay' thread, omg stop people stop posting on it!)

fire_wulf

Smash Journeyman
I do hate that thread as well......

But i don't know if i would trust his Dair.. didn't look that nice to me. His side B did seem to move fairly quickly without a charge... i can't know until release....

Anyone who went to e4 all have an opinion on these?

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Now with Dedede, it seems that Sakurai is aiming for a better image of the heavyweights, so I doubt Ike will be a failure.

I believe in Sakurai. Ike doesn't seem as bad as people say by the way.

The problem is the fact that he is good to the majority of players. Most cannot move swiftly across the stage such as the users here, so they fall prey to some slow attacks. You could walk into most smash player's houses and warlock punch for a victory, as long as you are decent at prediction and punishment. Thats the problem, character balance is hard to do with a game that has a large casual crowd. But, the little things they don't even consider (The speed of Bowser's Up B for example) can really shine in a character, even if they go unnoticed for a while.

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
pretty much thats what well have to do with ike along with superb edge guarding and looking for windows to atk

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
I think Ike's potential will solely lie on his Super Armour. Think about it people, if most of his heavy hitting moves have this, combo'd with his Counter, he will more or less force your opponent to grab to get a combo going, lest they get smashed halfway across the map.

The next step for the developers to do is give Ike a solid way to punish grabbers, whether they be shield grabbers, dash grabbers or standard grabs. All it will take is *brace yourself* make the Counter hit grabs. Sure, that might seem brutal, but also consider that you could give Counter a longer lag, so that you couldn't just spam it to stay invincible. It would develop Ike as a defensive/reactive character as well.

The other option is just give Ike a really fast Jab, that still had quite a bit of knockback.

Tingle_Stole_My_Pants

Smash Apprentice
And for future notice about that Bair > Aether combo thing. It won't work because you can't reverse B moves in Brawl.
Just thought I'd point this out:

In the subspace emissary movie, Ike does indeed reverse his up-B. It happens right when the Latin lyrics kick in (on some kind of green ruins looking stage). He does this against the Primids.

Of course, I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure he was facing to the left, but the sword hit on his right.

The Mediator

Smash Journeyman
if you wanna watch some videos or read some threads... you would see how wrong you are. Ike's Bair is a fast move that turns him around so he can go off on them. His regualy attack is a quick combination of hits. His Nair and Uair are also fairly fast with minimal if any startup. It is also said that his forward tilt is a quick move to get some spacing..

Just saying
The thing is, I heard tell somewhere that while some of the moves seem fast on the movies, they aren't in the actual game. I believe I saw Gimpy saying somewhere that some of his moves may seem fast on the movies, but IRL, there's a kind of a lag between when you press the buttons, and when Ike actually does it.
I'm not saying that Ike might not have some fast moves--just that the movies can be deceiving, and you can't really rely on them for some factors that would be more apparent if you were actually doing the move.

fire_wulf

Smash Journeyman
I guess a lot of us are hoping that the invisible lag was a glitch and will be fixed by release date... Who knows... we still have some time and i'm getting really anxious

Top Bottom