• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike's Palette Swaps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
I'm leaning toward him getting completely new palette swaps as opposed to having his old ones adapted to his new design. While you could make them work I'm sure, I'd rather see new ones entirely.

I'm curious as to what approach they'll use for a blue team palette considering his default tunic is no longer blue.

Hong

The Strongest
I'm curious as to what approach they'll use for a blue team palette considering his default tunic is no longer blue.
Could just be his default palette, like a red Samus or green Link.

Just the same, since we are no longer using team colours in team games in favour of outlines, it is entirely possible that we might not have those colours for every character if at all.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Could just be his default palette, like a red Samus or green Link.

Just the same, since we are no longer using team colours in team games in favour of outlines, it is entirely possible that we might not have those colours for every character if at all.
Wow. WOW. I just realized this. Wow, that is nuts.

At least alternate colors are confirmed for the Wii U version. Maybe they're not in the 3DS version, due to the tiny (by comparison) screen? Not everybody has an XL. Like, if you had a FFA and you had green Mario and Luigi on the same team, it might get confusing at times. This would help the 3DS people out a lot.

But yeah, most of the alt. colors from brawl, for most characters, were pretty good. I guess if some character lacked a green color, it wouldn't be the end of the world, with the new colored name tags / outlines.

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
@ Hong Hong - My mind identifies his default color as...brown or something. I'd think the red cape could lead to a level of color blind-ness during team battles (despite the whole pick whatever color you want thing). If his cape was blue as well I'd see it more as a blue costume but the red cape + blue armor just has my mind thinking it's a brown color.

While it's possible not every character will have a red/green/blue color, I don't think that'll be the case. If you're doing palette swaps, Red, Green, and Blue are often among the first colors you'd think of making alternate colors for. And while the addition of "choose any color in teams" is now a thing, I'm not sure they'd completely remove the need for specific palette swaps.

I may or may not actually know something regarding palette's in this game

@ Aninymouse Aninymouse
Smash 3DS has alternate palette's. The way Sakurai worded it essentially confirms them. "Now you can choose any color during team battles!" (I am paraphrasing) essentially means you can pick your favorite palette even if you're playing teams. And also, if there were no alternate palettes, Ditto's would be very interesting...

Last edited:

Commander

Smash Ace
Fun fact: "Ike was created after Hector, he was called Paris because Paris was the younger Brother of Hector in the story of troy, so you can call Ike Hector younger brother".
Fun fact: Hector was Troy's strongest warrior, Paris was a useless piece of garbage, and Priam, their father, was a weak ruler who listened to fortune tellers for advice instead of his son Hector who actually knew what fighting a war is like. Also the Greeks were horrible people.

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
And what's your point ?
I think it's just that it shows that developers will take names from references or stories without taking the original context of those references into account really. Not that I see that as a particular problem, but that what's there.

Hong

The Strongest
To be fair, they probably chose these names because they wanted to base it on something that sounds exotic to a native Japanese audience. They seem to go through one inspiration to the next (like how they exhausted Norse mythology between FE4-8) and just needed something new. I don't think they are trying to be build anything around source that not all players will actively be aware of, and they shouldn't have to.

Certainly not uncommon among Japanese developers, particularly those that specialize in RPGs, like Square Enix and the Tales studio of Bandai Namco. You can draw loose ties for a lot of their selected names.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
To be fair, they probably chose these names because they wanted to base it on something that sounds exotic to a native Japanese audience. They seem to go through one inspiration to the next (like how they exhausted Norse mythology between FE4-8) and just needed something new. I don't think they are trying to be build anything around source that not all players will actively be aware of, and they shouldn't have to.

Certainly not uncommon among Japanese developers, particularly those that specialize in RPGs, like Square Enix and the Tales studio of Bandai Namco. You can draw loose ties for a lot of their selected names.
Norse mythology? I thought the epic of Roland was like, English.

I am really rusty on my mythology. Blame a semester (or a lifetime rather ...) of avid Shakespeare.

Hong

The Strongest
Norse mythology? I thought the epic of Roland was like, English.

I am really rusty on my mythology. Blame a semester (or a lifetime rather ...) of avid Shakespeare.
You wouldn't be wrong since they took some inspiration from there as well.

Overall I would say they took just a bit more from Norse Mythology due to the weapons. Most of the divine weapons that are now reoccurring throughout the series took their names from Norse Mythology and have been reused since.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.

Overall I would say they took just a bit more from Norse Mythology due to the weapons. Most of the divine weapons that are now reoccurring throughout the series took their names from Norse Mythology and have been reused since.
It's a crying shame FE6 was poorly balanced because it does have some very epic elements to it. The return of the dragons, collecting divine weapons with awesome names to slay impossibly strong foes, goddamned DURANDAL ... Ah. There's a nice patch that lets you promote Roy at chapter 16 though, and that change alone makes the game much better. Shows you how little is need to screw up good gameplay.

Commander

Smash Ace

Ragnell, Ettard, and Gawain are all names from Arthurian legend. Both Ragnell and Ettard were Gawain's lovers. Alondite is just the sword Lancelot used.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
if we get no one from awakening
View attachment 14758
it could maybe please some people
God no. That design is awful, except for the sword-arm.

I don't know who the artist for this design is, but there is just so much wrong, here. The scrawny body, the full-body armor, the unconvincing pose. It could just be a bad angle, but even Ragnell looks like crap.
It was the same artist who did the artworks for FE6 and FE7. I wonder what happened to him...

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
God no. That design is awful, except for the sword-arm.

It was the same artist who did the artworks for FE6 and FE7. I wonder what happened to him...
He was amputated after a horrible accident and now has a pencil arm.

How can you all be so insensitive.

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
I always thought that they can give us his Path of Radiance appearance, it was the default model in Brawl after all. Perhaps throw in the Lord attire as well.

Maybe having his Vanguard class outfit as well

Not much of a FE expert, but I like the Vangard outfit, and I love the Brawl outfit. Lord could be a palette swap for PoR/Brawl Ike.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I think it'd be neat having Ike's Brawl/POR design as an alternate, and then additionally have Ike's POR Lord outfit and Ike's RD Vanguard outfit as recolors (with a couple of additional pieces of armor).

Ike's Awakening DLC artwork can just go die in a hole.

Beatness

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Beatness
3DS FC
5412-9896-3151
Other than that, "Shirtless Ike"?
Yes please!

But I think it's likely that Chrom will be an alt for Ike and Lucina for Marth. Since having either as full on characters might make for a bit too many blue haired swordsmen.

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Yes please!

But I think it's likely that Chrom will be an alt for Ike and Lucina for Marth. Since having either as full on characters might make for a bit too many blue haired swordsmen.
Lucina is pushing it. I like Lucina a lot. But I do see how Marth and Lucina make sense for sharing a character slot, somewhat. Can't say I'm crazy about the idea. I'd rather she get her own spotlight, but..

Chrom's fighting style has literally nothing in common with Ike's, if you played the games. I just started playing Awakening last month, and after doing so, wow, the "give Chrom Ike's moveset" people just look all the more... uninformed. Uninitiated. I know that's not exactly what you're saying, here, but the actual result is very similar and equally unsatisfying... especially to Chrom fans, I would think.

Last edited:

Oops!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aguyudontknow
3DS FC
1693-1719-9908
I wholly support Shirtless and Vanguard Ike and Priam as alts.

GloriousV

Smash Cadet
I though I tried to recreate the previous color palettes on the new design and see what they could look like. Here is what I ended up with. The last costume I changed it to a costume that resembles Ike's Lord attire in Path of Radiance.

This picture might become obsolete if Ike is playable on the demo, but if he is not then its something nice to look at until the game comes out.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
That...that green color is ridiculously sick. Whoa.

PyroTakun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ta-kun
I though I tried to recreate the previous color palettes on the new design and see what they could look like. Here is what I ended up with. The last costume I changed it to a costume that resembles Ike's Lord attire in Path of Radiance.

This picture might become obsolete if Ike is playable on the demo, but if he is not then its something nice to look at until the game comes out.
Purple/ Pimp Ike FTW!

Hong

The Strongest
In any event, a red one and a green one is all but guaranteed. Not because they are standard team colours, but they represent the colours of hostile and neutral enemies in Fire Emblem respectively. :) Suppose a bluer Ike will show up too, for the very same reason.

Another K-2L Survivor

The Zebesian Swordsman
US / Somewhere in deep space. Probably the former.
NNID
The_Last_Taguel
3DS FC
2681-0963-8959

Helllloooo Top Right. I'll scarcely be leaving that palate swap.

tadget

Smash Rookie
I'd love to see the Black Knight as an alt costume for Ike.
Maybe they'd have to slim it down a little, but it would still be awesome!
The Black Knight is just such a badass. They even share the same model for the sword anyway.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Suggestions so far:

Priam: *hurls*
Chrom: I ... Well ... I guess you played Awakening with the animations off, then.
Black Knight: Yeah, let's dress Ike up as his father's killer. That ain't weird ...
Greil: Best suggestion here, honestly.
Vanguard: The right answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom