• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike's last picture on Pit's FS led me to believe Marth could have slimmer chances..

Hong

The Strongest
Oh, and in response to what someone said about Ike being a two handed swordsman.

This is actually incorrect. The game never has him using both hands except one of his critical animations and skill animation IE Aether. The design for Ragnell in brawl has two grips on the handles, but this wasn't shown at all in Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance. That and Ragnell seems a lot longer in Brawl! Like how Marth uses two hands for the Shield Breaker, it's just for extra force.

The game also doesn't mention him being so powerful he can wield a two handed sword with a single hand since they don't seem heavy enough to demand that. All of his attacks are basic single handed strokes unless they're abilities or criticals, then they get more complex. The comments from Ike are just from Sakurai's blog (which is retranslated mind you) and his appearance is altered. I guess he made Ragnell longer for balance reasons.

alpha n00b

Smash Ace
I had a feeling Marth was going to be replaced... and i may be right, if you look at the screenshots of Ike falling & sword swinging you'll see that they the exact same movements of Marth's. Ahwell, Marth is easy come easy go for me :ohwell:

GuardianSphinx

Smash Journeyman
I have no problem with marth being replaced, although i don't think it's going to happen - as long as they replace him with the axe wielding beast hector ;) or the katti Pl0xing Lynn.

i think, looking at the pictures of Ike on the tinterweb that they way that Ike falls and represents himself on-stage (the way he moves, jumps, cries in pain, farts) is alot more like Roy than marth - I think he'll be slightly heavier similar to roy.

My prediction - Roy, Marth, Ike

My perfect cream-pie - Marth, Roy, Ike, Lynn, Hector.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
I still don't think that Ike is a replacement for Marth. Roy won't be comming back, despite his popularity in melee; but Marth actually has some significance to the series. I'm all for trying to include more unique movesets, but not at the expense of another already established unique character, who is also more important to the series. I would love to see Micaiaih or Hector,as they could provide unique movesets, but that shouldn't be the determining factor to who gets in.

Besides, having Marth and Ike would also be a great example of how diverse FE is, if you're willing to look at it from a different perspective. Here you have two Blue-haired, Sword-wielding Lords and yet they could have two completely different sword styles. The sword is the dominant weapon in FE and yet so many of the lords have their own sword style. I think it's only fair that the most important weapon gets the most representation don't you. As long as the characters aren't some form of clones then it can still represent how diverse FE is and at the same time include the most popular characters from the series.

DervisH

Smash Rookie
well if you look at the 2 B moves dojo showed ike using
id say his up + B looks more like kirbys than marths

and his down + B in the air? would look like an awesome downspike :)

DonkeyPirate

Smash Journeyman
My opinion is that most smash players who play as Marth, dont care about him as a character so much as how good of a player he is, much like Sheik. I assume Marth will not make it back because of Ike

Hong

The Strongest
I hope this game doesn't end up like soul caliber
Despite what others have said, no matter how many weapon wielders appear, Super Smash Bros. will never be like Soul Calibur or any other game for that matter. Super Smash Bros., from my perspective, is Platform/Fighter and not Fighter/Platform. I think the game has more emphasis in crazy jumping and unorthadox movement than actual clashing in combat. Other fighting games can literally never reach the same level.

Until Soul Calibur has people double jumping, rolling through each other, stages that change so radically, characters from over twenty series and as many defined original special attacks, it'll never be the same. Soul Calibur's fighters are usually more based on traditional fighting styles like bushido, fencing or primitive European medieval combat.

GenG

Smash Lord
My opinion is that most smash players who play as Marth, dont care about him as a character so much as how good of a player he is, much like Sheik. I assume Marth will not make it back because of Ike
1 million of Melee sales were from Japan. The same Japan that pushed FE characters for Smash Bros. Ask them is they don't care about the character at all...

I think Marth's removal only has disadvantages to it. There's speculation about MOTHER 3 characters, so why FE couldn't have this Japan only character that we already know about? His second appareance could make people take him more seriously and even Nintendo would think about an enhanced port/remake.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
Not to mention that he was the first lord in Fire Emblem and is quite popular. I don't know much about Fire Emblem, so someone else can give more information of why Marth is probably going to be in it. Oh, and it looks like an attack clank from the previous games, except more colorful and detailed.

kin3tic-c4jun-3

Smash Ace
Ike is not Marth.

There's not going to be any 'replacement'; you people see one new FE character with a sword and say "OMGMARTHREPLACEMENT" and you haven't even played Brawl, let alone Ike??

And another thing I don't understand is whow people are drawing similarities between the two; Ike's up-b doesn't looks a thing like Marths. Ike's Neutral B doesn't either. It's a fire blast, not a swing of his sword. Since when was Marth ever invincable at times? Ike looks like he'll play much differently (and quite possibly be heavier), and he doesn't confirm that there won't be a Marth in any way.

I'm drawing my speculations from the evidence provided on the site.

Where are you people getting these ideas?

Zek

Smash Ace
People get the idea from the fact that Ike and Marth look like they were separated at birth. It would be sort of silly to have two blue-haired sword-swinging pretty boys from the same series in the same game, but there's no real evidence that Marth is out.

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
There are giant differences between Marth and Ike. Ike is much more like Roy in concept - slower and more powerful, while his moves are entirely different from either, so far as we've seen. His Æther attack seems more akin to Kirby's Final Cutter than to Marth's Dolphin Slash, although we don't even have enough information about it to draw that conclusion (however, his main slash comes down from above, completely unlike Marth's up-B). Ike's Eruption, the neutral-B is also not a sword slash, and while it can be charged up, this makes them similar in no other way.

All the "Marth is replaced," comments can be sourced back to spiteful losses to an F-smash tipper.

...Also, I main Doc; not Marth.

Hong

The Strongest
As I've said many times though, I'd prefer Marth as a third Fire Emblem character to give the second spot to someone radically different from either. If we just get Ike and Marth, I'll be quite happy but I still much rather see someone else. Though Ike, another character and Marth would truly be amazing.

As for similarities, Ike and Marth have very different builds. Ike is a tough, formidible, sturdy mercenary with incredible strength and stamina. Marth on the other hand is very light, nimble and elegant. Gameplay wise, Ike is very tough as a capable tank/blocker and that is clearly represented in Brawl. Marth is not so much the case, following the fragile Lord image.

If Marth would make the cut, his Falchion would either remain the same size or be just a bit shorter to create more contrast. Since the maximum potential for speed in Brawl is decreased, Marth's swordplay could more or less remain the same while being affected by these new limitations so he'd fit in naturally while being much more balanced than before.

Either way, I really want a different second Fire Emblem rep. :/

_the_sandman_

Smash Ace
Performing aerial bombing raids on the Marth forum
Sakurai said characters will be removed. He also wants to make this game for EVERYBODY. Its possible he will not only take out the clones, but also the "Japan only" characters.

I still think Marth will be removed. I don't care what anyone says, he seems really beta and unfinished to me. Melee was rushed, and almost all of Marth and Roy's attacks are single swipes. Again, since it was rushed they probably just threw them in there and gave them a simple moveset. And something about his tip being 60% stronger than his normal smash seems like they missed something important in the testing department.

Ike so far seems very unique, and his game is worldwide. I'm sure if Marth is removed all of the Marth-lovers will just travel to the other sword characters for comfort. So there really isn't much of a problem if Sakurai removes the two unknown characters from the game.

Kirye

Smash Ace
Sakurai said characters will be removed. He also wants to make this game for EVERYBODY. Its possible he will not only take out the clones, but also the "Japan only" characters.

I still think Marth will be removed. I don't care what anyone says, he seems really beta and unfinished to me. Melee was rushed, and almost all of Marth and Roy's attacks are single swipes. Again, since it was rushed they probably just threw them in there and gave them a simple moveset. And something about his tip being 60% stronger than his normal smash seems like they missed something important in the testing department.

Ike so far seems very unique, and his game is worldwide. I'm sure if Marth is removed all of the Marth-lovers will just travel to the other sword characters for comfort. So there really isn't much of a problem if Sakurai removes the two unknown characters from the game.
Your first part would make sense if this was Sigurd we were talking about, as very few know who he is, and he's Japan only. Marth however, is already well known across the US. Also, Sakurai said "Some characters may not return", MAY, not they will, MAY not return. Also, why remove an original character? Maybe something like Pichu would make sense to remove, but Marth was the most requested character for Melee, he wasn't thrown in as a rush.

Beta and unfinished? What about all the clones? They didn't even have unique movesets, and yet Marth is the incomplete one?

And there's also no problem if he doesn't remove the popular sword wielder who made Fire Emblem KNOWN in the US.

GenG

Smash Lord
Watching today's update.

NEWCOMER: Tactician

Now you can ***** with Ephraim, Lyndis and Micaiah. YEHS.

Yes, I think Bowser, Mewtwo, Zelda, Kirby and Game & Watch will get the boot because they rushed them.

But, oh wait.

If Marth gets cut it won't be because that reason.

THK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRedKirby
3DS FC
1005-9416-8042
I don't hate Marth, I even play as him. But personally I'd like to see him gone in favor of more familar FE chars, that's about it. Preferably two more that aren't main lords.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
^^Those characters are not important to the games. You'll find that many of them could die and the storyline wouldn't change at all. I've seen people mentioning Titania and Soren and *insert random playable character here*, but what they don't realize is that they are not main characters of the game and it wouldn't be fair to all of the other popular characters if they got in. The most popular characters in the series happen to all be lords anyway, so putting other random characters in just for the sake of diversity would be betraying a lot of fans. FE fans want to see their favorite characters in, not the most unique ones (though that's still holds some significance, becasue they're often popular anyway).

Smash also needs to represent the series itself, and the easiest way to do that is to include the most important characters in the franchise. That's really easy for series like Zelda or Mario where the main character is consistant throught the games, but in FE it's much harder because each game has a new main character. We already have 14 lords that we have to choose from to represent the series, so other characters are out of the question.
My rant about non-lord characters.

Top Bottom