• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike's last picture on Pit's FS led me to believe Marth could have slimmer chances..

Exorcist

Smash Journeyman
I sincerely do want feedback on this and don't want it flooded and forgotten in one of the 4 trillion "ZOMG BLOCKZZZ!!!" theards again, so tell me what you think.
==============================================

Everyone who first saw the last pic on the current update immediately thought it was a block....It's strange, but the first thing I thought was the following:

Ike's UpB is really alot like Marth's recorvery minus the uniqueness of what Ike's actually does...

Ike's NeutralB is alot like Marth's NeutralB in a sense.

Then I saw this picture and my immediate reaction was "Oh, hey look...Ike's DownB must be a counter like Marth's, does this mean that his recovery wont be totally vertical like Marth's because later they'll show his FowardB will be something like Marth's in the sense that it helps him recover?"

That was as far as my train of thought went on this picture. Hey, it could be wrong, could be right. Maybe Ike is a complete utter remake of Marth because having two Fire Emblem swordsmen with such cunning similarities would be a little clone'y and Sakurai might not do that. Maybe not.

I thought what Ike was doing was his rendition of Marth's counter where instead of a attack following up the counter, a ball of w/e'the fx that electric stuff is.

You guys believe that he'll consider these differences like Mario's and Luigi's? Or do you think Marth's out for good and made room for Ike and other newer FE characters.

What do you all think?

Chris of STARS

Smash Journeyman
Why do people act like Marth leaving (if that happens) is such a HUGE deal? How many of you actually liked Marth because he was Marth, and not because he was the super cheap character with the endless flying abilities and superpowered reach and offensive moves? People just liked Marth because he was easy to use and powerful to boot. That could go for ANY new character come the new Smash. It just all depends on how the dev team decides to go about making the next top tier characters.

Exorcist

Smash Journeyman
I really don't care if he goes or stays, its a new game.

I'm just opening up the idea to others about my thoughts on the manner after the current update.

It's not a "HUGE deal"

psyt

Smash Journeyman
dont think those things as similarities to marth, think them as similarities to roy :lick:

Chris of STARS

Smash Journeyman
Understood. Well as far as that question, if anything, I think Ike is more poised to be Roy's replacement, rather than Marth's. I'd put money that Roy isn't going to be in Brawl, because it seems that Ike is just the less crappy version of Roy that Roy should have always been in Melee. Marth has a higher chance of reappearing simply because of his high Japan popularity. Ike + Marth would be enough for the Fire Emblem lineup.

Wreked

Smash Lord
Correct me if i'm wrong but didn't sakurai say he is going to try not have japan only popular characters.

Aminar

Smash Journeyman
Understood. Well as far as that question, if anything, I think Ike is more poised to be Roy's replacement, rather than Marth's. I'd put money that Roy isn't going to be in Brawl, because it seems that Ike is just the less crappy version of Roy that Roy should have always been in Melee. Marth has a higher chance of reappearing simply because of his high Japan popularity. Ike + Marth would be enough for the Fire Emblem lineup.
Nowhere near enough actually. We need another weapon represented.

Marth will remain in the game. He's too key to the series overall not to be in.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Correct me if i'm wrong but didn't sakurai say he is going to try not have japan only popular characters.
He said he would like to avoid it, but that he still may.

EDIT again:: Would Marth be considered Japan-only still? He was in Melee and well-received... Any fan of Melee would know about him now.

XDead Sexy

Smash Apprentice
Yeah i really dont think Marth is returning I dont really care if he does or doesnt Ike seems alot cooler any way IMO so I think just having Ike and another random Fe would be fine but i think marth is gone Dont hurt me tourney players..... :(

Chris of STARS

Smash Journeyman
Nowhere near enough actually. We need another weapon represented.

Marth will remain in the game. He's too key to the series overall not to be in.
Considering FE's popularity compared to other games that are being represented, (IE Pokemon, Mario) 2 Fire Emblem characters is enough. Although I do agree with you that a new FE character that doesn't use a sword would be nice. Ike + Marth + ???? would be good....3's a good number.

Chris of STARS

Smash Journeyman
I've actually never played a FE game Wreked, but whoever Hector is seems to be asked for alot, so that's fine by me I guess as long as he's bad ***.

Hong

The Strongest
Like I've said in other post, even though we see Ike and Marth as radically different characters (and so far, they are), any casual gamer would see them as two blue haired sword wielding Lords from Fire Emblem that are the same unless they made Ike brutally slow. (Like, Bowser slow.) But since Ike has the same build as the traditional well rounded Mercenary class from Fire Emblem, that'd just be an insult.

I think Ike will replace both Marth and Roy, and that we'll get a completely new Fire Emblem character. The Black Knight, Ephraim, Lyn and Hector seem to be rather popular. Fire Emblem 10 has a new female lead that would also fit nicely. But who knows? Maybe Marth will be some distant unlockable that they couldn't resist putting in, thus have three characters. But I really, really doubt that if there were only two Fire Emblem representitives, that Marth would be one of them.

Exorcist

Smash Journeyman
Like I've said in other post, even though we see Ike and Marth as radically different characters (and so far, they are), any casual gamer would see them as two blue haired sword wielding Lords from Fire Emblem that are the same unless they made Ike brutally slow. (Like, Bowser slow.) But since Ike has the same build as the traditional well rounded Mercenary class from Fire Emblem, that'd just be an insult.

I think Ike will replace both Marth and Roy, and that we'll get a completely new Fire Emblem character. The Black Knight, Ephraim, Lyn and Hector seem to be rather popular. Fire Emblem 10 has a new female lead that would also fit nicely. But who knows? Maybe Marth will be some distant unlockable that they couldn't resist putting in, thus have three characters. But I really, really doubt that if there were only two Fire Emblem representitives, that Marth would be one of them.

Had this thought too, in addition to yours:

Even though Ike is a newcomer, I doubt that he'll be an unlockable character. Sakurai wouldn't reveal unlockable characters yet when there are 80 updates left to announce all the ones that will be default.

Now think a bit.

If Ike IS a defualt character and Marth isnt....(we don't know this yet, but soon enough after they announce all the defualts), this means that the defualt representation would be Ike obviously. If Marth WERE IN, he'd have to be an unlockable right? Anyone else see that as akward? Marth being second to Ike(who just joined the game). Hmmm.

Instead I see the unlockablables from the series being Black Knight, Hector, or Lyn. But in all honesty Lunadis has stated my point nicely. I think Marth got the axe and I'm indifferent about that in my head, but eh, it's a new game.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I don't think it's awkward at all for Ike to be a starter. He's the more recent face in Fire Emblem so more people would know who he was it would seem. Marth was unlockable in Melee anyhow so it wouldn't be too strange...

It just seems logical that Marth would remain and Roy would get the boot in favor of Ike, due to Marth's significance to the series. (Being the first FE lord?) I don't care either way really... :dizzy:

lollerskater

Smash Cadet
If Marth was going to stay in the game I doubt they would've introduced a newcomer who was so similar when it comes to appearance/fighting style. Ike is just Marth with spiky hair and a headband instead of a tiara.

If Marth was staying, the newcomer would've probably been someone like Hector or a female.

Pyroloserkid

Smash Master
Screw swords! An axe-wielder would be an amazind addition to Brawl IMO.
3 is also a good number. I'd like to see Ike, Hector (he's bad***), and I guess if it was between Marth or Roy I'd choose Marth. Roy was a filler.

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
Why do people act like Marth leaving (if that happens) is such a HUGE deal? How many of you actually liked Marth because he was Marth, and not because he was the super cheap character with the endless flying abilities and superpowered reach and offensive moves? People just liked Marth because he was easy to use and powerful to boot. That could go for ANY new character come the new Smash. It just all depends on how the dev team decides to go about making the next top tier characters.
I liked Marth because I like swordsmen, and his style is vastly different than Link's. I used him long before I knew he had an overpowered tipper and all the other stuff that makes him a top-three character. Furthermore, I don't use him anymore, and I still very much want him to return. It seems like everyone who wants him out of the game is just spiteful because they've been tippered at tournaments and want to go cry about it.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Had this thought too, in addition to yours:

Even though Ike is a newcomer, I doubt that he'll be an unlockable character. Sakurai wouldn't reveal unlockable characters yet when there are 80 updates left to announce all the ones that will be default.

Now think a bit.

If Ike IS a defualt character and Marth isnt....(we don't know this yet, but soon enough after they announce all the defualts), this means that the defualt representation would be Ike obviously. If Marth WERE IN, he'd have to be an unlockable right? Anyone else see that as akward? Marth being second to Ike(who just joined the game). Hmmm.

Instead I see the unlockablables from the series being Black Knight, Hector, or Lyn. But in all honesty Lunadis has stated my point nicely. I think Marth got the axe and I'm indifferent about that in my head, but eh, it's a new game.
I see your point with all of this, but I still have to disagree.

As awkward as it would be for Ike to be a starter and Marth an unlockable, wouldn't it be even more unfair for Marth, the FIRST Lord of the FE series, to be completely axed for a new character like Ike? I see that as almost a slap in the face.

To be honest, I don't really care if Marth makes it back. I don't follow FE, and Ike's much nicer to look at anyway. But I just don't see them ditching Marth due to his importance in the series (I'd consider being the first Lord important), and the fact that, as we've seen, his moveset hasn't been taken from him. At this point, the elimination of Marth essentially means the elimination of a moveset. Doesn't seem right to me.

TheLake

Smash Master
Well said...I dont know though, I like Marth alot and I wish he would make an apperance but perhaps he shall be nothing more than a costume (which would still be kinda cool).....Poor Marth...Brawls first victim (strictly IMO of course)

One down....whos next?

Yes, let's make stupid assumptions on move similarieties, and also, further argue that there will only be 1 Fire Emblem character.

Ike's up B is from the actual game, what do you expect? It has to go up in some manner.

His Neutral B has him stabbing into the ground.

That animation from the picture means nothing.

TheLake

Smash Master
Who the hecks arguing there will only be 1 Fire Emblem character? That'd be just silly (;

JPW

Smash Ace
I reckon they should try for 3. Despite the fact that Fire Emblem is a new franchise to us, shouldn't lowers its chances. This game is not just for Americans, aussies, europeans and brits, it also a game for the Japanese, and they know Fire Emblem pretty well. And Fire Emblem has been around for a long time.

So i'm thinking maybe they deserve 3, just because we only learnt about it 5 years ago, doesn't mean FE should have a slim chance as to who gets in.

In my view 2 is good. 3 is enough.

Also there is a chance both Marth and Roy could be replaced. If I remember from rumours Roy wasn't meant to be in the game it was supposed to be Sigurd and Marth.

So there's a pretty good chance now that Sakurai has caught our attention of Fire Emblem, he could introduce a few other characters.

I really don't mind i'm hoping the FE lineup is Marth, Ike, and Miciah.
I say Miciah should at least have a chance for promotional FE:GOD lineup and we need more females. As most most americans will be picking up FE: GOD on Nov. 5th. They should have an idea who Miciah is, and what she is capable of.

Now I have a problem with those who say Hector. To me Hector is a great pick, but you only got to lead as Hector through a certain cheat move. Ephraim has a better chance than HEctor. Lyn has a better chance also in my view. Hector was an alternative. It's the original lords that have a better chance.

However I feel characters from FE7 and FE8 have better chances at being Assist Trophies than they would at being part of the roster. They would want someone legendary or someone from most recent games I feel.

Someone everyone can relate to, or at least read up on, and say he is cool.

And if Ike is part of the starting roster than in my view it would make sense that at least another FE character is hidden.

Kirye

Smash Ace
Paranoid's post is the most similar to my opinion. I chose Marth way before I knew about Fire Emblem or about his sword tip, because I liked the way he looked, and i've always been a speed *****. *I used Fox in 64, used Sheik in Melee before I got Marth* Most of us started playing melee many years ago, before wavedashing, SHFFLing and all this stuff became big.

Now, I don't think Ike's inclusion in Brawl means Marth's gone, rather it makes me think Roy's gone. Ike makes the perfect replacement for him, with a somewhat more unique, or say, Luigi-fied moveset to Marths? Anyone ever think of that, or does everyone want Marth and Sheik to be removed cause they can't fight well enough to handle either?

Marth is a popular character, and unique in his own way, he doesn't have to be removed for everyones likes and dislikes~

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
Sorry if I posted this wrong, first post. I just have something to bring up, did anyone notice that when Ike was revieled it said the classic, "A NEW CHALLENGER IS APPROACHING," thing? The same thing it says when you have to fight a secret character? I don't remember if it said that when they showed Pit...maybe Marth will be a default character and you'll have to beat something as him to unlock Ike? Like you did for Roy; I dunno, it's just a thought and mostly speculation.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Sorry if I posted this wrong, first post. I just have something to bring up, did anyone notice that when Ike was revieled it said the classic, "A NEW CHALLENGER IS APPROACHING," thing? The same thing it says when you have to fight a secret character? I don't remember if it said that when they showed Pit...maybe Marth will be a default character and you'll have to beat something as him to unlock Ike? Like you did for Roy; I dunno, it's just a thought and mostly speculation.
I think that 'CHALLENGER APPROACHING' sign was Sakurai's own little 'spoiler warning' to those who don't wish to ruin any surprises or, it was just that Ike was a totally new character to us. It's hard to say right now...

MzNetta

Oh no she betta don't
NNID
ParisNicholson
3DS FC
4940-5470-2081
those 'fxing electric thingies' are the animations for when two equal attacks hit eachother.
See: Black Hole Glitch.
there, you get and entire row of them flowing back and forth.
They dont do damage.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
As soon as I saw Ike's B move, "Eruption," I thought Marth's chances of being in Brawl were greatly lowered. Ah well, I'll be extremely happy if we get Soren for Brawl. Soren is so cool..

Hong

The Strongest
As soon as I saw Ike's B move, "Eruption," I thought Marth's chances of being in Brawl were greatly lowered. Ah well, I'll be extremely happy if we get Soren for Brawl. Soren is so cool..
I've kept this bottled up since it's nearly impossible, but I'd love for Soren to be in Brawl since I love his character, appearance and abilities. Though not only is he not a lead character, but he doesn't really offer us anything Miciah doesn't have. That and she's from a different Fire Emblem (albeit a sequel), a lord and of the other gender. But we're allowed to dream, right? :p

It'd be cool if Soren popped up as an Assist Trophy and cast Tornado, though. Since Soren and Titania were pretty much second in command, they have some chance of being Assist Trophies.

Timat the Slayer

Smash Journeyman
For those of you who say that Ike is just a new version of Marth (or Roy) I'd like to point out a few things.

First, is I'd seriously like to say that Ike's forward B will *most likely NOT* be a sword dance. The sword he is using allowed him to have a Blade Wave attack that, for the FE series, is **** handy. (even if he is unstoppable regardless at that point..). I think that would be Ike's F-B more than anything else. Or his D-B, but who knows? I'm just saying he has a blade wave that you should think about before hand.

Second, his up and B move, while similar in the sense that he jumps in the air, is a lot more usefull in the sense of recovery. Notice how he's spinning around when he catches the sword? What's to stop him from hitting everyone in a circle around him? Then, his plunging down after that. A lot of people say that'll be a crappy recovery, but, don't you think he'd catch the ledge before deciding to plunge to his death? Yoshi and Bowser did in melee with their D-B, so...

Thirdly, Marth and Roy (though, Roy's doesn't really prove useful..), as I'm sure you noticed, have awesome range. Wonder why? All of their attacks are vertical. On a Platform game, vertical attacks are the ****. Ike's attack style is almost all horizontal. Yes, he's stronger than Marth, but his range with his sword won't crush people left and right.

Ike is in a lot of ways, unique from Marth's play style. When you've played the game and seen how Ike works, he's really not THAT similar to Marth. So I think Marth is loosing his chances to be in brawl, only because of newer people coming into the series, not because of a so called, similarity, between the two.

THK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRedKirby
3DS FC
1005-9416-8042
In my opinion, I doubt we'll see Marth returning. I'm ready to stick my foot in my mouth but I just don't see it. I just think the newer characters from FEs actually released over here are more likely to be seen, 'sides weren't Marth and Roy used to promote the FE series?

Hong

The Strongest
In my opinion, I doubt we'll see Marth returning. I'm ready to stick my foot in my mouth but I just don't see it. I just think the newer characters from FEs actually released over here are more likely to be seen, 'sides weren't Marth and Roy used to promote the FE series?
Only Roy was a promotion. Marth is a Fire Emblem Lord from over a decade ago.

_the_sandman_

Smash Ace
Performing aerial bombing raids on the Marth forum
Ike's game, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, has a lot of interesting characters in it. Titania, Ashnard, Gatrie, Soren, etc. Marth and Roy have been somewhat out of place in the Melee scene. And now with Ike they probably will be more excluded franchise wise.

We could have Marth, a plain character with all single swipes. Or we could have a very interesting character with a brand new style and weapon, like Titania can offer with her suit and axe. I mean Marth is Japan only and Roy is a joke, does anyone really want them to represent the Fire Emblem franchise? Why not have a worldwide game that many people can recognize and enjoy?

Besides, having two swordsmen with blue hair seems redundant to me. I say get rid of Marth and Roy. I didn't like them that much in the first place.

GDhunter95

Smash Apprentice
Then I saw this picture and my immediate reaction was "Oh, hey look...Ike's DownB must be a counter like Marth's

Actually, that looks like he's about to perform Eruption. If you look at the picture of eruption you can see he's gripping the sword the same way as in the Pit Final Smash picture Not to mention he has his left leg forward in both pictures. Also Marth and Roy's counter is supposed to be like a swordsplay parry. I don't think Ike's normal swordsplay has him holding his sword like an ice pick.

Another thing about eruption is that it might not be like Flare Blade of Shield Braker. All we know is that it creates a lot of fire effects and that it's chargable. What the charging does, how long it takes to charge, If it can break shields, and whether or not it executes immediately or if you can store it like Dk, Samus, or Mewtwo hasn't been revealed yet. Everyone thinks its going to work like flare blade because he's another fire emblem swordsman and the move resembled roy's neutral b but it doesn't have to work that way.

BUM163

Smash Lord
i don't understand how everyone is quick 2 think roy n marth r out of brawl.it can b possible that they just change roy n marth moveset instead of givin them the boot.sumone mention when they seen eruption that it made him think that marth was cut out even more,but how so if the move is plunge into the ground n fire comes out compare 2 marth or roy swing their from above n then down n no fire comes out.we know nothin but all we have r pictures.we don't have no videos,no real info on watz goin on so stop assumin marth n roy is out.anotha thing just cuz we got 80 updates don't mean the updates will stop right away once dec 3rd hits.it may either keep goin after just cuz they know we won't get everything right away or just release everything at once.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Ike = Marth and Roy
Zero Suit Samus = Sheik

And that's my conclusion.

Kirye

Smash Ace
I love where these assumptions come from. Where? Out someone's ***.

So far the characters from Melee have been returning one by one, and yet people would just hate to see Marth in. It's such a horrible bane isn't it? Having a character from an old game be in Brawl, I mean of course, it should only be brand new characters! Let's hack away Game and Watch, Ness, Ice Climbers, all the Pokemon except new Diamond and Pearl inclusions, Marth and Roy, Sheik, and so forth. *And omg, can't forget Pit*

I mean they don't fit in at all in a fighting game, we should obviously have only characters coming for Wii inclusions, not counting VC cause that would just be silly.

And now that my long sense of sarcasm's done, here's my point.

You can't know what's going through the game creator's head. This is the THIRD installment of the game, not the seventh. If it was the seventh, then of course by seeing how he's treated things before, you'd be able to know who's getting the boot or not. But aha, that's not the case.

The move from SSB64 to Melee included every character in its roster, and they fixed the character graphics for every new and old character to fit in Melee. So, why I ask, wouldn't they do that for Brawl? Just because you assume Ike is Marths replacement? Or ZSS is Sheiks replacement? It's dumb coming from the people who state "I won't believe anything until it's posted in the dojo page", and yet he hasn't said anything about removing specific characters.

Yeah yeah, I just woke up and i'm grouchy, shut up. D:

Top Bottom