• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike

Marthgreil

Smash Journeyman
Ike isn't slow, but his moves do seem to have some amount of lag. Still, his recovery seem the be his weakest point at the moment. And his Counter seems to come out extremely fast and lasts about as long as Marth's.

Has there been any vids of Ike's Counter actually connecting? It would be interesting to see what the result is...
Well Roy's power combined with Marth's time means his counter will be Uber.

-Knux-

Smash Ace
Well Roy's power combined with Marth's time means his counter will be Uber.
Let's hope that's what it comes down to. =)

Has anyone else noticed that Ike can charge a certain move until he wants to unleash it? I've seen two videos where he charges a move and doesn't unleash it. Is this exclusive to him? Which move is it? You can see it in the Ike vs. Sonic video at Norfair at the very end.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
It looks very similar to Marth and Roy's standard B move. It could be Ike's Eruption move but that would mean there isn't a fire effect unless it connects with an opponent.

Marthgreil

Smash Journeyman
Let's hope that's what it comes down to. =)

Has anyone else noticed that Ike can charge a certain move until he wants to unleash it? I've seen two videos where he charges a move and doesn't unleash it. Is this exclusive to him? Which move is it? You can see it in the Ike vs. Sonic video at Norfair at the very end.
Where are the videos? I have not seen to many with IKe.

Conformal_Invariance

Smash Journeyman
On the border of Westminster and Arvada, CO, in a
Where are the videos? I have not seen to many with Ike.
He means this one: http://youtube.com/watch?v=D533pueDHLc

It's his Side+B, of which the name is unknown.

He actually does it early in the match with no charge, after he hits Sonic with an Aether.

PolarisJunkie

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PolarisJunkie
3DS FC
0361-7305-7321

Ariel is the titular character of Disney's 1989 animated classic, "The Little Mermaid." A great departure from the fairy tale that the film was based on, Ariel is a curious and rebellious young mermaid with a thirst for adventure and the love of a human prince. Because of her desire to interact with humans above the sea, she risked the lives of herself and her kingdom when she asked a sea witch to grant her human legs. She got her wish but lost her ability to speak and struggled to convey her emotions to the one she loved. In the end, Ariel did get her dream and stopped the sea witch with her lover's help and lived happily ever after in Disney's multi million dollar franchise.

During the course of Ariel's story, her voice is sought after for not just its beauty but for its magical abilities.

STATISTICS
SIZE: Zelda
WEIGHT: Jigglypuff
GROUND SPEED: Shiek
AIR CONTROL: Yoshi
FALL SPEED: Jigglypuff
TRACTION: Luigi
Ariel is a very fast character and odd for fast and light characters has a rather large hit box so she must constantly be on the move exploring the stage and her opponent. Ariel hovers above the ground at all times. Her tail increases how big she actually is and she hovers above the ground in her idle stance. Her dash has her swimming in the air and has her shoot like a bullet toward her destination in a horizontal fashion. Ariel can swiftly move around the stage with breathless ease. Because Ariel swims she is essentially swimming in air so moving on the ground into the air is just as fluid as the water she calls home. Ariel's two jumps give her considerate height very similar to Peach's second jump from Melee on both ascents. However as fast as she is, many of Ariel's moves have considerable lag or vulnerability to them so she is prone to retaliation if one is not completely careful on their spacing.

SPECIALS

NEUTRAL B: Symphony of the Sea

Ariel closes her eyes and begins to sing a single note. Simply pressing the B button and letting go will have Ariel simply sing that note and do nothing else however holding the button causes the move to have its true purpose revealed. Ariel will hold the note in place for however long the player presses the button. While holding B and using the controller's joystick Ariel will hold different notes. Thus, moving up will make Ariel sing a higher note and moving it down will have Ariel sing a lower note. Performing certain combinations of directional inputs will have Ariel sing certain songs and causes a variety of effects to happen. Upon correct activation of each song a swirling aura of bubbles will quickly appear around Ariel and the effects will last for 25 seconds.

PART OF YOUR WORLD: Performing her most well known song, Ariel becomes hopeful of the future. This heals Ariel of 1% of damage each second (for a maximum of 25) but decreases the damage of her attacks to about half of their usual flair. Her dodge roll covers a larger distance as well as her Spiral Wave attack reaching greater vertical height than before. Her jumps also increase in range with a double jump reaching the length of a jump from wearing a Bunny Hood.

UNDER THE SEA: An energetic number, Ariel gets a spring in her step increasing her speed on the ground and air even further. Moves come out almost instantaneously and thus require extreme precision and execution on the player's part. Ariel's attacks and jumps during this song now have the ability to chain into each other effortlessly (with a maximum of 3) decreasing the lag on each of them. To chain into a special, after the third successful hit from either an aerial or standard hit, during the animation of that attack immediately do the input for the special of your choice. Specials cannot be chained into other specials they can only end chain combos from normal Jabs/tilts/aerials. Smashes also cannot be chained.

POOR, UNFORTUNATE SOULS: The signature song of her enemy, Ariel remembers her mistakes and grows incredibly sad and forlorn. Because of the emotions weighing on her heavily, Ariel becomes much heavier than she had been before changing her weight just a tad under DK's thus decreasing her recovery to Peach's nerfed double jump from Melee to Brawl. She now has grown considerably slower in speed and her attacks but her power has increased exponentially. All of her smashes have increased damage and knock back but even more lag than before. However some of her smashes will have armor in this mode as well (indicated in the smash section).

Ariel while initially singing her song is completely vulnerable to attacks so spacing is imperative in order to quickly activate the effects. Upon completion of each buff, Ariel's voice will tire and will not be able to perform another song until a full minute has passed. Activating a song before a minute changes will have Ariel clutch her throat (as seen in the image above) and falter for a minute allowing the enemy to attack as she recovers.

UP SPECIAL: Spiral Wave

Hailing from Ariel's appearance in Kingdom Hearts, Ariel will glow a slight blue as she suddenly rises vertically upward around two SBB blocks, sending bubbles spiraling around herself. If she uses this on her opponent it will hit for 1% damage for a total 9%. The final hit of this move does cause knock back but never enough to kill (if anything it just allows Ariel to land safely without fear of retaliation). After completion of the move Ariel will enter a helpless state as she spirals back to the ground. There is a tad bit of lag as she lands as well.

Part of Your World: The Damage from the attack decreases to a total of 5% and now has no knock back on the final hit, however the height reaches to four SBB blocks as opposed to two.

Under the Sea: The move retains the damage and recovery it normally deals and can be cancelled into from any of her tilts, standards or aerial moves. In addition, not only does the final hit still cause knock back, it is now increased and can now potentially kill at around 150-180% depending on the weight of the character she is facing.

Poor, Unfortunate Souls: Recovery is reduced to only 1 SSB block but the damage increases to 3% for each single hit and a potential 27% for the full blow. Knock back on that final hit can now kill at much lower ranges ranging from 90%-110%. This move now has armor and can absorb one standard attack or projectile. Startup for this move however does now have a bit of lag and in her helpless state she will plummet much faster than in any other form. Ending lag as she lands is also double as well.

DOWN SPECIAL: Siren Sonata

Ariel takes a deep breath and belts out a beautiful melody, sending a shock wave out in front of her by the length of a platform. The shock wave appears from her mouth and shoots out and gets bigger, similar to a cone in shape. She cannot move while performing this attack. This move can be held and the shock wave will linger in front of Ariel before dissipating in about 3 seconds. This move causes no damage however it does send foes backwards away from Ariel about a platform's length away. When held, the knock back is considerably further and reach's a stage length. At the end of the 3 seconds, Ariel does have a bit of ending lag of catching her breath.

Part of Your World: While under this buff, Ariel can move freely (including jumping and 'walking') while using this move and instead of a cone shape, the shock wave will spiral in a zig-zaging motion. The knock back is the same as it was before.

Under the Sea: The move now only causes damage and can be used to end chain combos similarly to Spiral Wave. Movement is again restricted. Instead of a cone shape, it will shoot out in quick spurts causing 11% percent of damage. All knock back is nullified however the ending lag has been reduced a tad. This move however does leave you relatively close to your opponent as opposed to Spiral Wave. The true power of this move is its ability to damage shields and with the reduced lag and it can be used much more freely than before.

Poor, Unfortunate Souls: With movement again restricted, there is now starting lag at the beginning of the move. The cone has increased its range to two platforms and causes the same damage during Under the Sea's (11%) as well as throwing the opponent always a stage length's away. The move can no longer be held however and the ending lag is much more severe. Now though, the cone has a sex kick type of hit box while Ariel is recovering from it that causes 1% of damage. The cone will stay on screen for about 8 seconds fully including the original 3 seconds it usually has. Again, Ariel does get armor when using this move but is very vulnerable to dodge rolls and throws during it.

SIDE SPECIAL: Bubble Fermata

Ariel swipes her fin in an arch ahead of her sending out three bubbles that shoot out in front of her. The bubbles move quickly along but will dissipate after traveling around half of Final Destination's length. These bubbles simply cause 5% of damage and do no stun similar to Fox's blaster. There is lag on the start up of this move as Ariel swipes her fin and a tad bit more as she positions back to her idle stance so the move cannot be continuously spammed like Fox's blaster. After 200% of damage to the opponent, this move can possibly entrap the foe into a bubble as seen in the GIF above. Players can mash out of the bubble in about 3-5 seconds depending on the damage they have, but conversely this is the ONLY way Ariel can grab an opponent as she can not grab her foe unless it is in this bubble state.

Part of Your World: Damage of the move decreases to 2%. Move will no longer occasionally entrap opponents into a bubble state after 200% damage, however it can now be continuously spammed with no lag at the end of the move as well as have stun similar to Falco's blaster upon a successful hit.

Under the Sea: Damage remains the same as in the default version; stun and lag is the same as Part Of Your World. This is the only special Ariel cannot combo into from her normals however. The ability to entrap foes into the bubble form is also gone under this song.

Poor, Unfortunate Souls: Lag increases on startup and cool down of this move however the damage increases to 10% and causes stun similarly to Part of Your World's. The effect of entrapment also goes away in this song.

STANDARDS
(Changes of move by song marked by (if no change, then it will not be included: Part of Your World=PoW, Under the Sea=UtS, Poor, Unfortunate Souls=PUS)
JAB: Tail Arpeggio

Ariel gets onto the ground as if she was about to do a push up and swipes up once then down for the second hit with her mermaid tail. The player can spam A and have Ariel continuously jab like Fox's standard A. Each hit does
1% of damage. There is a considerable amount of lag to this move when you want to stop the mashing and even just using the first two swipes still leave Ariel open to return to her idle stance.
UtS: Can no longer mash move to give continuous strikes, however is a great combo starter with the first hit.
PUS: Moves damage increases to 2% per hit. Ending lag increases in recovery.

UP TILT: Above the Sea

Ariel acts if she is emerging from under the water, whipping her head backwards and splashing water all about. The move hits on the way up and behind her once her hair swooshes back around. The full damage of this move is 14% and can kill at around 130%. Ending lag is extreme so this move cannot at all be spammed.

PoW: Damage decreases to 10% and loses kill power. Water that splashes around Ariel gains the ability to stun foe for a second if they are caught in the splash.
UtS: Damage stays the same but no longer kills, knock back is non existent. Lag still exists but is not as extreme as before and still cannot be spammed. This move is an excellent starting move to do combos as Ariel can also jump cancel this move into her aerials.
PUS: Damages increases to 20% and can kill at 90%. Lag increases on both startup and end. Very powerful.

DOWN TILT: Trip Tail
Ariel crouches and twirls her body, hitting them with her tail very similarly to Sheik's down tilt. The swipe has great range but only hits in front of her. Damage is around 7% and lag is moderate meaning she can't really spam this but isn't detrimental on using it as a poke.

PoW: Damage decreases to 4%, knockback is added to the move so it can no longer be used as a poke.
UtS: Damage decreases tp 3%. This is one of Ariel's few moves that don't combo but can now be spammed to rack up damage quickly similar to Lucas' down tilt.
PUS: Damage increases to 10% and knockback is now similar to Part of Your World. Move cannot kill however and lag has been added to the move where she can no longer use it as a poke reliably.

FORWARD TILT:

Last edited:

Idfection

Smash Apprentice
Who cares? I don't mind his lack of speed at all. It's something new and awesome. He's the only char. I haven't been disappointed with, aside from bowser.

And his recovery may not be that bad, assuming his Ranger Dash is fairly useful. If it goes as far in the air as it does on the ground, without too much lag, you won't hear any complaints from me.

Flatfeet

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Flatfeet
I like slow characters in Melee, I was an avid user of Roy/Ganondorf, so from what I've seen Ike looks like a nice choice for me!

-Knux-

Smash Ace
He means this one: http://youtube.com/watch?v=D533pueDHLc

It's his Side+B, of which the name is unknown.

He actually does it early in the match with no charge, after he hits Sonic with an Aether.
Ah, okay.

But did you notice at the very end without about 10 seconds or so left, Ike starts charging it and never releases it? It's like an endless charge for you to unleash whenever you feel the need.

IllidR

Smash Champion
I'm really looking foward to maining Ike, most likely it will be him. Some people are saying he will be really hard to play and is a bit slow but I think they're missing some important part to his gameplay and he'd be a challenge to master. Ike will surely put up a fight.

Zink

Smash Champion
Hmm... looks like Gannondorf got his sword after all! (get it?)
I'll enjoy playing as him, if there's any of his attacks that can be sped up he'll be such a beast. Also, it's entirely possible that he's MELEE slow, but only about BRAWL average. Making him a totally pwner.

-Knux-

Smash Ace
Hmm... looks like Gannondorf got his sword after all! (get it?)
I'll enjoy playing as him, if there's any of his attacks that can be sped up he'll be such a beast. Also, it's entirely possible that he's MELEE slow, but only about BRAWL average. Making him a totally pwner.
I like how you think. ^^

LockeExe

Smash Cadet
Oh man. I just seen his 'Shinkuu Aether' or his Final Smash.
And my god. It reminded me of Cloud's Omnislash.

It's my favorite Final Smash so far.

jc1sttwin

Smash Journeyman
Ike's FS is truly amazing to me

i like him i gonna play with him he doesn't look that slow from what i've heard from NEO

-Knux-

Smash Ace
GenG, if you would like to add the fact that Ike's Final Smash does 70% damage and pretty much KO's the opponent to the normal moves thread you can. Ike did 70-71% damage to each opponent in two videos. I think it's safe to say that's how much damage it does.

GenG

Smash Lord
FS damage is an issue belonging to the Special Moves thread, not mine :p

But I would be interested on % for the moves. I think the last vid delivers on this.

-Knux-

Smash Ace
FS damage is an issue belonging to the Special Moves thread, not mine :p

But I would be interested on % for the moves. I think the last vid delivers on this.
The creator of the special moves thread hasn't been active lately, so I decided to ask you. xP That's fine, though. I'll tell him/her. ^^

But ****... 70% and pretty much an automatic kill... It's so... Beautiful. *Wipes tear from eye*

-Knux-

Smash Ace
Really sorry for the double post but I have GOOD news. Here it is:

Okay, I'll haveta disagree with you on Ike- I've just got back from E 4 All, (Staying at a Holiday Inn rite now too >.>) and I didn't see anything wrong with Ike, albeit a little lag on moves. He's definately the strongest, and not the slowest; He's faster than Bowser, about the same speed as Link from Melee. So, yeah.
Yes! I knew he wasn't as slow as everyone depicted him to be. Melee Link speed is fine with me. ^^

-Knux-

Smash Ace
Wow, I sure got quoted fast. I feel all special now ^^
Well, I'm glad you posted that information. A lot of us have been waiting to hear from someone about Ike. ^^ Thanks.

Did you actually play as Ike or did you just see others play as him? If you did play as him, could you tell us about his grabs?

RyuDragonKing

Smash Journeyman
I played as Ike for almost all of my games, actually. The only other people I played as were Sonic, Samus, Mk, and Pit.

But I'm afraid I never grabbed anyone, (well, other than my friend's Fox, but he got out of it reeeaaaaally fast). All he does is grab them from what I could tell. I couldn't pull off a throw quick enough, sorry. >_<

I wish I had some videos to show you, but one of my friends(who is on these forums) who sucks at Smash and at life decided to play around with my girlfriend's camera and deleted all my vids. Not that you'd care, tho, since I was the cameraman and I was watching two matches between my girlfriend and one of my other friends. (They didn't use Ike at all) Sorry!

-Knux-

Smash Ace
I played as Ike for almost all of my games, actually. The only other people I played as were Sonic, Samus, Mk, and Pit.

But I'm afraid I never grabbed anyone, well, other than my friend's Fox, but he got out of it reeeaaaaally fast. All he does is grab them from what I could tell. I couldn't pull off a throw quick enough, sorry. >_<
Funny, because I would play as Ike, Sonic, MK, and Pit first, also. xP

That's okay. ^^ We just haven't seen Ike grab anyone yet, so we are curious.

GenG

Smash Lord

But I'm afraid I never grabbed anyone, well, other than my friend's Fox, but he got out of it reeeaaaaally fast. All he does is grab them from what I could tell. I couldn't pull off a throw quick enough, sorry. >_<
Could you notice if Ike had more of those no-flinch frames besides Aether and the forward smash?

-Knux-

Smash Ace
I've heard people say that Ike is loaded with the no flinch frames. Let's hope a lot of his moves have the ability.

Marthgreil

Smash Journeyman
Any video of Ike actully winning? Also, where is video of S.Aether.

What is a flinch frame? Lag?

-Knux-

Smash Ace
I do have videos in this subforum, you know. You could just tell me which one it is there. I know which one, though. It's the one at Norfair. I only saw Ike use counter, not actually countering one of Sonic's moves.

Marthgreil

Smash Journeyman
I do have videos in this subforum, you know. You could just tell me which one it is there. I know which one, though. It's the one at Norfair. I only saw Ike use counter, not actually countering one of Sonic's moves.
To get an idea someone said it was as long as Marth's counter and strong as Roy's.

tennisthehilife

Smash Lord
As of now I want to main Kirby and Ike.
-I love two-handed sword style fighters from animes and videogames!
-A unique, different style sword from others so far confirmed.
-I don't care about his weaknesses, I'll hope to find ways to compensate.

Samurai style sword character (takamura) would be awesome (cmon Japan!) but might be too common (top tier) so I would still choose Ike.

Sinn

Smash Lord
Ike's Final Smash looks pretty...I like how spiking the enemy down makes them bounce high into the sky. Quite evil, I must say.

Marthgreil

Smash Journeyman
You know if there is a threads for Special Moves, his speed, and Final Smash what do we do here? Talk about what conditioner he uses?

Nowfist

Smash Apprentice
Just talk about Ike in general. Like how you think he will impact low, mid, or high tier players etc.

Top Bottom