• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike vs Meta-Knight--is there any hope?

petrie911

Smash Journeyman
OK, so I've been playing Ike a lot, and if there's one character I can't seem to handle, it's Meta Knight. Every one of his attacks seems to come out and finish before Ike's even start. He's faster, has better recovery, can gimp Ike like no other, and has seemingly zero punishable lag on every attack he has. Oh, and if that weren't enough, most of his moves seem to have comparable range to Ike's.

So what can I do to defeat this nightmare of a character?

Monjula

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AdrianMonjula
3DS FC
5215-1057-8129
A lot of dodging. And more than that, mind games.

If there's a solid way to beat MetaKnight....Well, there's not yet. Shield = your Tornado friend.

Um...Yea. I'd post more if it weren't 3 in the morning.

Onxy

Smash Lord
Lol, the nightmare of a character part made me laugh. Shield a lot? Try to stay out of the air?

mikeb2010

Smash Apprentice
Spam AAA combo and MK's Fsmash has some pre-lag so use counter more. Also, if the MK player is an up B spammer, spam counter.

petrie911

Smash Journeyman
Spam AAA combo and MK's Fsmash has some pre-lag so use counter more. Also, if the MK player is an up B spammer, spam counter.
Yeah, I tried all of those. Fsmash can be countered, but it's rather rare. Dsmash is a bigger issue. I tried countering Shuttle loop, but the move goes so fast that he's out of range of counter by the time the attack activates. Further, I successfully countered his dsmash once, and he perfect shielded my counter. AAA is good in this match, but most of his moves seem to outprioritize it.

For those suggesting shielding, I ran into a problem with that. If he's behind you while you're shielding, there doesn't seem to be much you can do. He's too short to bair out of shield, utilt doesn't seem to hit behind you very well, and you're facing the wrong way to grab. This was a rather common situation, as I'd spotdodge a running grab/dash attack, shield the ensuing dsmash, but since he was behind me, I didn't really have much I could do to him.

At the moment, the only thing I can think of is more sh nair. Good priority, good coverage, and little lag are all rather nice.

Dark Nemesis

Smash Apprentice
Shield and dodge until you find an openin.
He WILL make a mistake sooner or later.

Aether is a good defensive move too.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
well you need to space more Ike's Fair and Ftilt can hit metaknight out of his attacks just play defensively and try to stay away from his reach. Idk why you think metaknight has as much range as Ike you must not be using Ikes full range.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Use counter alot. Anticipate when hes gunna use Tornado. Punish him after his ending lag which there is barely lol, like nado and drill rush. Use AAA or mix it up abit, use AA, and grab/pivot grab and sent him to air and try to destroy him with aerial.

F5Hazardousdoc

Smash Ace
I play a really good MK, I find it easier to play as Ike then as snake :o
Jab string works WONDERS. Upsmash tends to outdistance his gliding attack, so see if you can early KO him with it. Fair has higher priority than tornado, so use it if you can, otherwise, shield. You'll be a MK's nightmare if you land a hit, hes so light. If you're fighting a dsmash spammer, use nair, to uptilt. Its a very nice combo move, works even better in lag.

Tsukuyomi

Smash Journeyman
Out range Metaknight with Fairs... Counter any Up+B spams with your own Up+B... Also, Neutral A combos, you got to love them...

Hostility

Smash Ace
Ike vs metaknight really blows. It's a HORRIBLE matchup. Against good MKs The only things I can hit with are jabs and shield grabs. If you wanna get risky you can go for nairs, fairs, or dsmash/upsmash for a kill, but you're not gonna be hitting with any of those very often.

Amide

Smash Lord
Not really. But anyways, use Aether when opponent is in air. Most importantly, use quick attacks with good range, that's MK's weakness.

Ulevo

Smash Master
If you ever grab Meta Knight, jab him and then voluntarily release him. He will perform a Jump Break, and I'm quite sure Ike can follow up with a Dash Attack. This should give you some extra % versus him. And if you ever land any Standard As, string them together with Jab Canceling.

Machiavelli.CF

Ivy of the West
NNID
Machiavelli.CF
3DS FC
3222-5675-4966
i just play a "back off! and if u get near me then i will crush u withe my fair! (whitch out ranges u!)"
ive played a few 2day!

oyo

Smash Rookie
Hmm. My friend used to play Metaknight and here are a few things:
1. Shield- Shield enough to blocks his barrage of attacks, but don't shield long enough to let him grab you.
2. FTilt- Use your F-tilt to hit him before he comes in range. Angle it up if he's coming from the air.
3. NAir>AAA- This combo is beast against almost every character. Use it after he uses a laggy attack.
4. FAir- This move will out range him most of the time and limit him to retreat most of the time.

Overall, you should play more defensively and make sure to attack when he screws up.
I play Ike too and had a hard time but it gets easier as you get better. Good luck!

__V

Smash Journeyman
Use Counter and Eruption while in the air. Spam block and neutral-A.

Tomkraven

Smash Journeyman
keep shield and positioning yourself for an AAA>fair/Nair, also if he starts jugling you with his Uair wait for the opening and smack him back to the ground with you Dair. try to neutralize his specials with eruption specially his down B and whorenado.

remember... you fight for your friends aaaaaand to kick meat knight back to the dark hole

abcdark

Smash Rookie
Wtf????

meta knight is not impossible to beat with ike. if u suck as ike and ur fighting a level 9 meta knight yes u will die. if u are good with ike you can beat any1. anyone can defeat any1 else if ur really good. ike is better at 3-4 person combat in my opinion. also it depends were u fighting a person or a cpu what was the level of the cpu where was it were there items all of this matters but it mostly comes down to ur skill

metroid1117

Smash Master
meta knight is not impossible to beat with ike. if u suck as ike and ur fighting a level 9 meta knight yes u will die. if u are good with ike you can beat any1. anyone can defeat any1 else if ur really good. ike is better at 3-4 person combat in my opinion. also it depends were u fighting a person or a cpu what was the level of the cpu where was it were there items all of this matters but it mostly comes down to ur skill
Yes, anyone can beat anyone, but the truth is that as a CHARACTER, Ike is at a disadvantage against Metaknight. Also, you can safely assume that he is talking about a MK being controlled by a person and there are no items on the field.

The general rule for playing against MKs is to zone them out, then kill them with a strong vertical attack (USmash, UTilt, UAir, etc) for an early kill, but BAir works well too. If the MK is spamming up+B, you can avoid the up+B and then counter the second attack that they use to negate lag. MK is dangerous on both the ground and air, given his raw speed; play as safe as possible, and be smart with your jabs so that you only use them when they'll hit (as in, don't continue the jab combo if they roll away).

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
Well, I'm not a Ike player. I'm a Meta Knight player, so I could possibly give you some info in terms of Meta's POV if it helps. Keep in mind that majority of it is in my opinon and while it may seemed legit, best try to practice it with a Meta player just to be certain

You have to understand two things. Ike has power. Ike has range. These are one of the three (IMO) that screws up Meta. The matchup can be even (or at least somewhat even) if the Ike player learns how to autocancel his aerial moves and have some intellegance (random Fsmashes can go so far...)

short hop Nairs seems to give some meta's trouble, as it provides good hitback and range. My choice would usually have to dash attack you, provided that you don't land on the ground fast enough for your standard A combo. any short hop aerial is good on meta Knight, but you gotta be careful as to not be too high or else I'll attack with Up Bs and such. Ike's Dsmash is a bit quick in terms of speed and his Ftilt could send Meta a good distance at half percentage. Try not to Upsmash or Fsmash unless you know it'll hit (or my shield is low) or else the Meta will punish.

If I'm away from the stage, my only fear is getting Faired, because that attack gots range and power and would usually kill me even if I try to DI (not sure if it's DIable, but I seem to get killed by it). Ike could also try to spike by carefully Dairing or Dtilt when Meta hangs on the stage too long. What seems to be the most effective is doing Eruption near the stage. Why is it effective? Because you're limiting my 6 ways of recoery to 2. I can't hang on the ledge too long or try to roll or else I'll get burned. If I shuttle Looped or glide attack him, if he does it with good timing, not only while my attack fail because of his super armor, but I'll be burned at the same time. Drill to him or try to Dmentional cape over him, burned. One of my ONLY two ways of comin back is that I glide over him or glide under the stage into the other side (but I have to hope I have either enough momentum or a Up B for extra height). My other way is grabbing the ledge, use all of my jumps and Up B to try and wait out the attack.

A n00b Ike will be ***** by a Meta Knight due to lack of speed, but a good Ike will not be underestimated. I've learned this matchup by my good friend, Silvin, who has a really good Ike IMO.

So yeah, debate what ya want on my sayings. I hope it helps.

HenryMartinez

Smash Cadet
Out-prioritize his ***. If he seems to go for aerial approaches, ftilt angled high, uptilt. Watch out for empty jumping though, you'll be playing right in his hands, so unless he's really stupid or you get him pissed off, use is scarcely. You can be a complete ******* and when he's using tornado and it's nearly running out, roll away. Maybe he'll approach you, maybe not. If he does, his tornado will be most likely run out. Fsmash his ***. AAA if you don't want to bite off more than you can chew. grab for all I care, but DO something. If he goes away, you might catch him with your fB.

His dash attack is hard to punish bcuz it can go right through your shield and he's on the other side, putting you in that situation where he will dmash. That's the beauty of that, you know this. Don't spot dodge, powershield his ***, go for a grab, seems like your safest bet.

If he fB's, you can hit him with an eruption and use Ike's god****ed super armor frames. You can roll out of the way, but the thing is, this is good and bad. You put space, and Ike + superior spacing = win, but Meta can penetrate your space faster. I would recommend spot dodge. He will either go straight ahead (not likely, he will bounce up and fall tot he floor as a recovery used), up(even more risky, more time to set up somethign crazy like a fsmash) or down (will drill to the ground, bounce up slightly: safest thing to do). If he goes down, dash attack him, and you know Ike's dash attack connects continents together, it's so **** long.

Omg, and if he ever decides to fsmash you, AA him. Mindgames, watch what he does after you interrupt his attacks. The worst case of surprise is where they literally stand still. Any attack you interrupt with AA, stop, see if you can get a grab in. Do it a few times. Maybe he'll catch on and spot dodge. ftilt his *** out of the spotdodge lag. If he attacks back, shield grab his ***. That's Ike's one true spot advantage, he's in range of anything and your mom.

Mindgames man. Create situations where he is predictable. Oh, another nifty one is when he's tryign to recover. Eruption is sorta always instant win. You want him to either attack from the edge or just get on it without rolling or jumping. His puny **** sword can't reach you. Fsmash = supreme range. Sure, you'll trade a hit if it does hit, but time it well and it's a really quick KO.

oh ya. taunt like a *****. you never know what crazy opening you can make out of it.

and, fair with c-stick and just hit his shield and retreat back with control stick. upair is godly, if he's trying to recover, start it early, most likely he will airdodge, but we all know Ike hits twice in upair, first his back and then front. don't be afraid to fast fall to make it hit, it'll KO Meta around 80%ish. Make sure you have your second jump or that' s his last stock tho, lol.

lol wut edit

Top Bottom