• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike to get English voice acting?

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
According to the IMDB-page of the guy who voiced Ike in Path of Radience, the same guy will reprise the role for the localized version of Brawl.

Has this been confirmed elsewhere or is it just a rumor based on nothing (I'm not saying I believe it, I just wanted to get more info (if any such info exists) on it)? If so, will Marth get localized voice acting as well? It would only be proper.

It's kinda strange, though. In Melee, Fox and Falco had English voice acting done for the localized version, yet Roy and Marth (who spoke a lot more than Fox and Falco) had their Japanese voice acting kept intact.

In Dairantou Smash Brothers X., Zamus inexplicably only speaks English... is this a hint that no localized voice acting will be done? Marth, Ike, Fox, Falco and Wolf will all speak Japanese?

Machspeed

Smash Lord
Captain Falcon also speaks English only in the Japanese version of Brawl.

There are voice actors for a majority of the characters you've listed though - I'd imagine Fox, Falco, and Wolf would use their "Star Fox Assault" voice actors. Characters like Marth and Roy, at the time of Melee, never appeared in an English game, which would explain why there was no english voice actor to do it for the english version of Melee.

Rose Monkey

Smash Apprentice
well, Roy and Marth didn't receive any English voice acting partially because they weren't even planned to be in Melee outside of Japan. iirc that is.

fox and Falco received it because they are big names here and they were planned to be in the NSTC/PAL versions.

now that Fire Emblem is a bit bigger outside Japan (probably due to the success of Roy and Marth) they are planned and as such will probably have English voice actors.

although they might not, who knows. IMDB is a filthy liar.

psyniac_123

Smash Ace
I hope so. As for the Japanese Fox/Falco bit. Ugh, no thank you.

I wants my "MISSHUN!! COMPLETE!!"!

Ichida

Smash Ace
It's kinda strange, though. In Melee, Fox and Falco had English voice acting done for the localized version, yet Roy and Marth (who spoke a lot more than Fox and Falco) had their Japanese voice acting kept intact.
Roy and Marth never had voices in their original games. Plus, neither game has been released here yet. That's most liekly why.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
Actually, it's been semi-proven.

Watch the Subspace Emissary movie, and about half-way through, you'll see Ike use his Aether move. The yell he does is very much different from the yell in the Japanese version.

I would expect all of the characters to get some sort of localization. The only one could be Marth, but I think NOA will provide some sort of voice actor, so we will know what the hell he's saying...

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Roy and Marth never had voices in their original games. Plus, neither game has been released here yet. That's most liekly why.
So because of this, they should've been mute? I think the explanation "They didn't have an English seiyuu" is much more probable.

Ichida

Smash Ace
So because of this, they should've been mute? I think the explanation "They didn't have an English seiyuu" is much more probable.
I never said they should be mute; I'm saying the chances of getting an English voice are/were pretty slim.

AlphaDragoon2002

Smash Ace
NNID
AlphaDragoon02
Ike's gonna have an English voice. Like someone above me said, in one of the English videos for the Subspace Emissary you hear Ike use Aether and he sounds quite different from the Japanese voice.

Marth I think should also have an English voice, if they're gonna make everyone else speak English they might as well do it for him also. Hopefully it doesn't suck, ditto on Ike's (as in, it's not the guy from PoR who was terrible).

Iceman12

Smash Journeyman
Anythings better than Ike's japanese voice actor, its freaking irritating to hear "seeeiiiyaaaahhh" every time aether is done. Sounds like he freaking has lung cancer, at least in the american video he sounded you know, manly~.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Ike's gonna have an English voice. Like someone above me said, in one of the English videos for the Subspace Emissary you hear Ike use Aether and he sounds quite different from the Japanese voice.

Marth I think should also have an English voice, if they're gonna make everyone else speak English they might as well do it for him also. Hopefully it doesn't suck, ditto on Ike's (as in, it's not the guy from PoR who was terrible).
Actually, it is the same guy who did him in PoR.

joepinion

Smash Apprentice
I'd say the explanation for C.Falcon and ZSS talking in English in the Japan version is that English is a lot more common over there than Japanese is here. I would guess every character including Marth will have an English voice.

Ban Heim

Smash Ace
The way I see it, any Japanese only characters (probably Marth only) will still keep Japanese voices while the rest will end up getting English translations. There's no reason not to. And it'd be horribly, horribly stupid on Nintendo's part not to do so. They'd get hounded for it.

Lupo Aro

Smash Ace

Link to this video?

Lynkx

Smash Journeyman
Ike's voice, from what I heard, goes through my head, especially when he does his Up + B move.

I hope they change it, especially as we have such a delay

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
sneaking low to the ground, ready to pounce
I believe the reason why Marth and roy have Japanese VAs in Melee was because they were going to be cut at at first.

After all, for those who don't know, Marth has had an English Voice actor before in the dubbed version of a Fire Emblem Anime. He's a pretty famous one too. Spike Spencer.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Spike reprises his role as Marth in Brawl, and Ike spoke English at E for All from what I remember, so he'll probably speak English as well...

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Well, does anyone else find it peculiar that ZSS speaks English in the Japanese version? Has Metroid become an American game now? I know it's always been more popular in the States, but maybe some characters will stay one way. Not to say Ike or Marth will, since I know for a fact the Starfox characters, as well as Sonic, are sure to get English translations. But has Fire Emblem really kicked off here? I know they've come out with games in English at last, but I have yet to play one.

Another thing that's interesting to think of is the character's language itself, if they were alive, per say. I would imagine Samus and Cap. Falcon to speak English, and the Fire Emblem characters to speak Japanese, but that's just me.

Revven

FrankerZ
It's really hard to say. Ike will have his PoR/RD VA no doubt and Fox, Falco, and Wolf will likely have their English VAs like in Melee (Wolf sounds nothing like he does in Assault, I haven't heard his Command voice though so if they're using Command VAs I wouldn't know if they're the same or not). As for Marth... well, that's a tough call. Whether or not they use his supposed anime English VA is up in the air. If they don't, I don't mind the whole Marth speaking Japanese because it FITS his personality and elegancy really well. Ike's Japanese VA also sounds wonderful to me as well (but, that's because I watch anime subs a lot so I'm used to the deep voices a lot and trust me, Ike's is perfect in Japanese IMO).

Marth undoubtedly will be a tough call though.

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
sneaking low to the ground, ready to pounce
My opinion is that Marth should still speak Japanese, even if he has had an English VA in the past. Ike I would prefer to speak Japanese too, but I doubt he will...

Metroid, being a primarilly US game now, is probably why Samus speaks English...

Retro Studios = woot. Metroid Prime = Woot. Well, except for Hunters.

Snakeee

Smash Master
If Ike's Japanese VA is out of the American release I might change my mind about possibly using him as a secondary. I for one thought he sounded pretty badass.

Senshuu

Smash Journeyman
I hope all the VAing will be localized, although I would miss the option to switch to Japanese like Melee.
I really like Marth's and Ike's Japanese seiyuu... Fox's Japanese voice is awesome, too.

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
Captain Falcon also speaks English only in the Japanese version of Brawl.

There are voice actors for a majority of the characters you've listed though - I'd imagine Fox, Falco, and Wolf would use their "Star Fox Assault" voice actors. Characters like Marth and Roy, at the time of Melee, never appeared in an English game, which would explain why there was no english voice actor to do it for the english version of Melee.
That, and the fact they were going to be axed in the American release.

Phyvo

Smash Journeyman
As long as we can switch between languages, and thus voice actors (like in Melee), I will be more than satisfied in this department.

But if not, I will have to be sad and drown my sorrow in the flying ragdoll bodies of my smashing friends.

wagnerelli

Smash Apprentice
About the whole "No English voice for Marth", that is wrong.

Meet Marth's English voice: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spike_Spencer
The reason Marth didn't have an English voice is because Marth was planned to be taken out in the English version. However, testers liked him (and Roy) so he stayed. They didn't bother getting his voice.

SilentDrifterZ

Smash Ace
About the whole "No English voice for Marth", that is wrong.

Meet Marth's English voice: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spike_Spencer
The reason Marth didn't have an English voice is because Marth was planned to be taken out in the English version. However, testers liked him (and Roy) so he stayed. They didn't bother getting his voice.
Well Marth seems to have been confirm to have an Eng VA for Brawl then...Shinji's VA...hm. Spike, I love thee but don't make Marth wimpy sounding XD

and I hate to pass this along but...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Adkins

For those of you who hated Ike's voice in PoR, bring out the tissues/rocket grenades.

RedMage8BT

Smash Lord
I want Peach to keep the irresistibly cute voice she has now... please don't change it...

Marth should definitely keep his Japanese voice. When he taunts, I wanna hear "MINNA, MITEITE KURE!" not something English that's gonna sound dumb.

Chaotic-Strike

Smash Cadet
I dont think marths voice is going to change watching the newest subspace video on dojo at the exact same time as the jpn one marth grunts exactly the same but metaknight was changed. Try to view them at the same time.

§leepy God

Smash Master
I belive his PoR voice and RD voice is almost the same person, But I wonder what he says when he catch people in the Great Ather though?

Top Bottom