• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Recovery problems

Shrimpsuke

Smash Rookie
As an Ike user, the only thing holding me back from obtaining his full potential is his slow recovery rate. Does anyone have any tips on how to cope or get around that? While he has good recovery while it comes to coming back onstage, his attack recovery is just too slow. Thank you!

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
Ike's recovery isn't even good. That's why it's quite gimpable. Up-B's his best option. Quick Draw isn't good for recovery because you can just get in its path and Ike just stops when he hits them. If Ike goes for the edge and the opponent grabs it and edgestalls, Ike's done.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
^ if you can reach the edge with QD you can reach it with aether. the only time you should use it would be if your opponent is all the way the end of the stage and if he doesn't have projectiles. probably the only time that this would happen is if you aerials collide and your both sent off flying.

Kodachrome

Smash Journeyman
Well, regardless of whether QD gets you back in certain situations...only an idiot uses it, and only an idiot actually lets you use it. <_<

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
I still think Aether can get you back to the stage when QD can while your charging it you could be moving back to the stage trough the air. I've been hit almost directly horizontally and haven't made it back with QD so I'm not sure where this area would be if not there.

OmegaXF

Smash Ace
Well, regardless of whether QD gets you back in certain situations...only an idiot uses it, and only an idiot actually lets you use it. <_<
The hard truth is that there are times when QD is your onnly move that will brong you back to the stage. Your not an idiot for using it. That was an idiotic post on your end though.

eroninja562

Smash Cadet
Agreed. Ike's recovery can be easily gimped. Since there are only options of Aether and Quick Draw, there's not much Ike can do. In conclusion, Ike is no good off the edge of the stage.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
The hard truth is that there are times when QD is your onnly move that will brong you back to the stage. Your not an idiot for using it. That was an idiotic post on your end though.
you posts sounds a lot dumber. I'm guessing you don't use Ike much or you aren't that good because these "times" don't actually exist.

When you are charing QD you can't move trough the air meaning you cover the same distance horizontally as you would if you didn't use it, maybe a little less.

now if the following thing happens

x-----0|

X = edge of the stage
0 = Ike
|= boundary
you won't make it back with QD

if its like this
------0|
x------|

if you have your second jump but you will make it with aether. if you don't have your second jump you won't make it back with either.

Not only that but If you DI how your supposed to you should never get put into this position.

Wertilq

Smash Rookie
Only time I think QD beats Aether, is when you doesn't have your second jump, and are slightly above stage vertically, but horizontally a not close enough for aether or floating, you also have an opponent that's close by, he will spike you/hit you again which will be your doom. QD MAY be an option there :p

99% of the time Aether > QD

Kingdom117

Smash Rookie
I use Quick Draw only to change it up sometimes, or if I lost my second jump and need a boast to the side of the stage. In some instances they can Dtilt and smack you down tho, with aether they wont move you.

then drop back and do another aether, which will smack them down, grab throw them off the side.
Usually Aether is smarter to use, but we all can play different and use different attacks other ways, so I don't think anyone is a idiot.

Kingm

Tsukuyomi

Smash Journeyman
I use Quick Draw the opposite direction when I can't make it (like Fox and Falco's Illusion)...

Though, I can't say Ike has a totally horrible recovery... At least for one, its way harder to edge guard against his Aether unless someone like Marth/Ike happens to be an opponent... I just think of it as Luigi in Melee, except he can't Side+B then Up+B...

gsninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gsninja
3DS FC
5455-9389-5386
Switch FC
1284 3127 1819
If Ike was actually able to move after his Quick Draw hit something, his recovery would have been so much better. Sadly, the fact still remains that Ike's recovery is extremely easy to gimp.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
If you do end up using QD, try (key word being try), to time it so that it ends a tad before the stage, and DI the rest of the way in. That way, hopefully you're opponent won't be able to just jump in front of you to kill you. Of course, all they have to do is attack instead of just jump, but hey, it's another option at least.

PltnmNgl

Smash Journeyman
Despite how bad of an option QD is, it's still and option and should be utilized. Not often or normally, but utilized when necessary. Plus, too many people learning to counteract Aether anyway.

Kodachrome

Smash Journeyman
Yeah...'cuz nobody knows how to gimp quickdraw...

Basically, if you're playing someone who can't react in time to fux with your quickdraw (which, incidentally, really isn't all that quick in the startup so much as it is in the follow-through) then you should play some other people to get a feel for how bad just a single offstage quickdraw will hurt. :(

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
probably a good time to use QD is if 2 attacks clash and your both sent flying. unless your fighting like falco or pit which would just shoot you as they fall down.

OmegaXF

Smash Ace
you posts sounds a lot dumber. I'm guessing you don't use Ike much or you aren't that good because these "times" don't actually exist.

When you are charing QD you can't move trough the air meaning you cover the same distance horizontally as you would if you didn't use it, maybe a little less.

now if the following thing happens

x-----0|

X = edge of the stage
0 = Ike
|= boundary
you won't make it back with QD

if its like this
------0|
x------|

if you have your second jump but you will make it with aether. if you don't have your second jump you won't make it back with either.

Not only that but If you DI how your supposed to you should never get put into this position.
So if your telling me that Aether is the only recovery you need then I'll just say your dead wrong. Even with proper DI there are still situations that occur when QD can be used. When your an Ike mainer you use all of his moves to his advantage. You don't discriminate against any of his moves. Looks like you still got things to learn before you can criticize me. Your the only Ike on this thread who says that QD is an absolute waste.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
can be doesn't mean it needs to. and I don't think QD is an absolute waste read more before you start putting opinions in my head. I've said that it can be good a few times but you can make it back with aether when ever you can do it with QD. Even so plenty of people said its bad and aether is the better option.

Captain Awesome

Smash Rookie
QD is actually not bad if you don't charge the move. Uncharged, it still covers a decent distance (especially since you glide in the air when you use it) in the air and thanks to Brawl's magnetic ledges, you'd surprised at how far away you can grab the ledge.

QD uncharged gives your opponent no time to jump in to take the hit. What makes QD bad is when people charge it, the charging sound gives the cue the people use to block it.

And also, there are places where an uncharged QD can reach where an Aether cannot.

Fire-emblem

Smash Rookie
Its wise to avoid QD when your opponent has projectiles and is edgegaurding, but other wise, QD is useful.

Top Bottom