• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike+Ragnell= epic fail

Kricu

Smash Journeyman
Ok so I had to point this out (and I apologize if it has already been mentioned): Why doesn't Ike have the ability to use ranged attacks? The sword Ragnell (Used in Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance) is a sword that can attack enemies that are a square away instead of right next to him. I think that for brawl they should have given him the ability to use a ranged attack because of the sword's ability in the original game. As for Ike as a character: I think he's pretty cool but his moves could've been a bit better.

Torchik

Smash Ace
Meh, I could see it, but he is pretty good already. They definetly could have done a ranged attack, but they probably had their reasons. (By the way, I don't think this needed it's own thread...but I say that about most threads. ^_^)

Toshen

Smash Apprentice
Ike's sword is so badass and long that most of his attacks can be considered a projectile already

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Sword=disjointed hitbox. So technically, this is already true.

Sir Jay of Tee

Smash Rookie
Ragnell is a blessed sword, and has the ability to (for lack of a better way to put it) shoot magic beams at a distance.

I'm sure there's a term for it, but I didn't know what else to call it. >_>

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
I completely see your point with this, but it's already too late to suggest it now. We'll just have to make due with what we have.

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
on that note why didn't roy have a ranged attack too and have a 30% boost to crit rate

Zukaza

Smash Apprentice
The fact that Ike is the best character in the game makes it enough for me. I think a ranged attack would have left people saying Ike is broken anyway. In fact, people already do think hes broken, taking out many characters at around 40-50 with punishing smash attacks. Ike + Ragnell= Too much Win. Did i forget to mention he fights for his friends?

AlphaDragoon2002

Smash Ace
NNID
AlphaDragoon02
on that note why didn't roy have a ranged attack too and have a 30% boost to crit rate
And a healing technique. :laugh:

For those of you who don't know, Roy's Sword of Seals (where I'm convinced they got the ideas for PoR Ragnell) gives Roy 30% critical hit increase, a two space attack with fireballs, AND Roy can heal himself with it.

The Ragnell is even better, due to being infinite use + Aether which attacks and heals at the same time.

WarxePB

Smash Ace
If Ike had sword beams for his smashes, imagine how broken he would be. He already has massive range, and firing beams of energy with the same power as his attacks would be too cheap.

If his neutral B was a sword beam, though, that would make sense.

Miller

Smash Lord
Why doesnt aether Do double damage and heal you?
For obvious reasons ofcourse
And plus his sword already has mass range

Kricu

Smash Journeyman
wow this was more popular then planned and honestly I didn't look at Ike much to begin with prior to posting this (other than making sure he couldn't do ranged attacks). After reading the other posts it does make more sense why they didn't include this feature for Ike. Though it still would've been cool it probably would have made him more powerful.

LuisMa316

Smash Cadet
wow this was more popular then planned and honestly I didn't look at Ike much to begin with prior to posting this (other than making sure he couldn't do ranged attacks). After reading the other posts it does make more sense why they didn't include this feature for Ike. Though it still would've been cool it probably would have made him more powerful.

Thats why they didn't, it would have been unfair.

Link Lord

Smash Journeyman
In a place where people are tortured endlessly and
Marth's Falchion makes him broken like he is in his games.

lulz
True, but it's GAME. Marth was only in one FE, if I'm not mistaken.

Anyway, back on subject, ranged attacks for Ike would make him as broken as a person who tells me Brawl Link sucks and is the absolute worst character in the game.

Bad thread name, by the way.

D

Deleted member

technically ike never has ragnell usage while he's a Ranger class, even when the game ends he gives it back to Begnion. his main costume is a contradiction.

AlphaDragoon2002

Smash Ace
NNID
AlphaDragoon02
Marth's Falchion makes him broken like he is in his games.

lulz
Huh? Marth kinda sucks as a unit in his games. The Falchion makes him better, but not broken.

did the sword of seals really heal you?
i haven't played in a while.
Yeah, Sword of Seals can heal Roy if used as an item.

If I remember correctly he has been in two games so far, plus that he was in the manga...
Correct. Marth was in the first game for NES and the third for SNES, which was a remake of the first one plus a sequel.

And yeah, Ike having the Ragnell in his Ranger outfit doesn't happen in PoR, but they probably did it because that's the default look for Ike and the one most think of when they think of Ike. Kinda like if Eliwood were in Smash Bros. he would be his default Lord outfit with the coat and yet still have the Durandal.

Daniee

Smash Cadet
Marth is also in the upcoming FE game for DS (it's a remake of the first one).

Anyway, I'm glad that Ike doesn't have a ranged attack. It annoys me in video games, anime, or whatever whenever a character fires a beam or any kind of projectile out of their sword. Kinda ruins the whole purpose of the sword (to be a close-quarters weapon)...

Prax

Smash Journeyman
I was thinking maybe they could have had the non-smash or special attacks have a "beam" that comes off of the sword that travels a very short range, maybe half of Ragnells length. It would only do 1/2 damage and 1/4 knockback for obvious reasons though. What do you think of that idea?

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
In case anyone is still wondering about Ike's ranged attack here is a video of it. (Path of Radiance Spoilers)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZRILUDgcHA

I was thinking maybe they could have had the non-smash or special attacks have a "beam" that comes off of the sword that travels a very short range, maybe half of Ragnells length. It would only do 1/2 damage and 1/4 knockback for obvious reasons though. What do you think of that idea?
I was hoping for it to work like that too, possibly on his Fsmash but that didn't happen unfortunately.:(

Fizz-sama

Smash Ace
It's been a while since I've played FE3, but if Marth was able to promote...wow...he'd be a BEAST. His growth rates were already decent if I remember correctly, but it just sucked he couldn't go 20/20.

To be on subject, it'd be absolutely awesome if the Ragnell had a ranged attack, but alas, Ike owns either way. <333

Oh...for those who have looked at some of the trophies, one caught my eye that was pretty funny.
For the Black Knight's trophy description, it mentioned his blessed blade being Ettard, XDDD. So much for the Alondite, huh? I don't think he'd appreciate it being considered a nub sword.

iron blade

Smash Ace
Ike's attacks already had huge disjointed hitboxes of raw power. If he had ranged attacks, Marth wouldn't be the only ridiculously unbalanced character in the game.

Doval

Smash Lord
1) It'd be broken (dead horse at this point.)
2) He sends out a beam/shockwave thing when he does Great Aether.
3) He already has ridiculous range.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Guys, First off, Disjointed = terrible term for classifying attacks. Disjointed means (to the best definition that anyone can come up with) that the hitbox extends past the hurtbox of the character. Almost every move in the game (if not every - almost all were in melee) is disjointed.
People pretty much stopped using this term in Melee due to it's completely ambiguous range and instead talked about things in terms of range and priority.

Second, a projectile means that the hitbox is completely disconnected from the character in every way, and that when the projectile hits an opponent, the projectile (and the opponent) undergoes hitlag, while the projectile thrower does not.

On topic: Yes, Ike could have used a projectile attack on his neutral b, since eruption completely came out of nowhere (except maybe to imitate marth/ roy).

edit: @Fizz-sama:
Ettard was the name of the BK's sword in the Japanese RD. IIRC, Ike wielded Alondite

Fizz-sama

Smash Ace
edit: @Fizz-sama:
Ettard was the name of the BK's sword in the Japanese RD. IIRC, Ike wielded Alondite
Well ****, haha. I appreciate you telling me that, though. It's not fun being wrong. It's a little odd though. I wonder why they just didn't let it carry over into the English translation?

Hinote

Smash Cadet
Well ****, haha. I appreciate you telling me that, though. It's not fun being wrong. It's a little odd though. I wonder why they just didn't let it carry over into the English translation?
I'm not that great with mythology, but perhaps it was changed because it'd be more suitable.

If I remember correctly, Alondite is the name of one of Sir Lancelot's swords. Sir Lancelot is an enemy of Gawain and disguises himself as the Black Knight. Ragnelle is the wife of Gawain. He marries Ragnelle in order to save King Arthur. Ettard is the maiden that Pelleas loved. Even though he loved her, she didn't love him. Perhaps the name was used in order to symbolize the conflict between Gallia, Crimea and Daein.

Zevox

Smash Lord
Manga isn't a game. It's manga.

Also, which other game? I'm not an expert on Fire Emblem.
Marth's games are:

The Dark Dragon and the Sword of Light (Fire Emblem 1)
Mystery of the Emblem (Fire Emblem 3, included a remake of 20 of Dark Dragon's 25 chapters as well as a sequel of 20 new chapters.)
Fire Emblem DS (Upcoming game, Fire Emblem 11, thus far only known to be a remake of Dark Dragon.)

As for Ike's sword beams, I was kind of hoping to see them as his neutral or forward special myself, but oh well. The moves he did get are plenty good enough.

Zevox

Igneous42

Smash Ace
Balance. Link can shoot beams in many of his games too (at least when he's at full life). They didn't want to make Ike overpowered. And being a sword user I'm pretty sure he'll already have a pretty good range.

Top Bottom