• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Needs A Buff

Do you think Ike needs a buff?

• Total voters

tadget

Smash Rookie
Ike was very formidable in 2.1, and arguably OP, but slowly Ike's metagame began to deteriorate and they consistently nerfed him. Does anyone else agree that he needs a slight buff? Not to restore him to how he was in 2.1, but something in between 2.1 and 2.5.

My idea is that he should have as little hitlag as he did in 2.1. The tipper system should remain, but it should only affect damage, and not knockback. Also, regarding the tipper system, it shouldn't be as extreme. There should only be maybe a 2-5% difference in damage from his hilt sweetspot to his sourspot, and his hilt sweetspot hitbox should be made slightly larger. His QD should be able to be jump cancelled on frame 1 or 2, and it should charge as much per frame as it did in 2.1.

And lastly, I think he should get his old Nair from 2.1, and all of his D-tilt hitboxes should spike, just the knockback decreases significantly from the sweetspot to the sourspot.

P.S. I think he should have his old red-orange and black Eruption. It makes more sense and I think it looked cooler.

If anyone agrees with me then could you please tell me a way to contact the PMBR with my ideas? Or if you disagree, feel free to comment your opinions.

:bee:

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
Ike is mostly fine the way that he is.

You're aware that Ike's reduced hitlag in 2.1 was one of the things that was broken about him, right? He almost never had to worry about hitting a shield because he was just about always safe on hit. It doesn't sound like you really play Ike enough to really comment on things he does/does not need. =/

tadget

Smash Rookie
True, his little hitlag allowed him to pressure shields very well, but I feel it's just a bit too much now.
And I mained him throughout all versions of P:M since 2.0, when I was introduced to this amazing mod, just to clarify that I am quite experienced with him.

I just think his tipper system is too extreme, seeing as it reduces damage and knockback, and if he hits with the "sweetspot" he gets more hitlag.
Maybe giving him 2.1 Ike hitlag is a bit too broken but I still think the amount he has now should be reduced.

Thanks for your feedback though :bee:

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Consistently nerfed him...? He was buffed significantly in 2.6.
Making his sourspots better doesn't do much to make him better, it just makes him easier to play. :/

tadget

Smash Rookie
I do . . . if you are referring to the end of the game when Ike glows fiery blue then I understand, but it isn't Radiant Dawn Ike, it's PoR Ike.

tadget

Smash Rookie
Well, not many moves make sense anyway, and I just thought when it was red it was purty. Though I've edited it to be both red and blue, and I think I like that the best.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Actually on topic, I feel like Ee-kay is in a good place right now. He has a well defined playstyle and appeal and some very good tools that give him adequate diversity. Quick Draw is a very powerful tool is arsenal, though not to an over-centralizing extent and between his power, recovery and grab game he can take on the P:M cast well. He is one of the harder characters to figure out and play and strongly dislikes a few match-ups, but that's on players at that point. He's definitely as viable as I've always wanted him to be.

foxygrandpa

Smash Journeyman
He is an extremely well designed character. His only real problem is facing projectile heavy characters, and even those matchups are doable. It would be interesting if they were to give him something to get past that, but it would be hard to implement without being unfair. He's pretty good the way he is.

tadget

Smash Rookie
Personally, I still think that his QD should be able to be jump-cancelled on frame 1, and not frame 3.
3 frames of QD travels more distance than a lot of people would think.
And after playing some friendlies I have a better feel for him, although I still think his sweetspot has a wee bit too much hitlag.

PyroTakun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ta-kun
The more I play Ike in 3.0, the more I realize he's a good character. When I lose with Ike it's not because he sucks. It's because I suck at the game.

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
The only buff Ike needs is to his muscles so he can be like FE10 Ike. ufufufufu

tadget

Smash Rookie
I think some moves such as his tilts and his QD attack should have little hitlag. All though Ike is not a character who's very reliant on combos, lessening the hitlag on his tilts and QD attack would restore some of his combos from 2.1. As for his matchup against characters with projectiles (this is simply a slight suggestion) perhaps some light armor could be added while he's charging his QD, and maybe the first few frames of him after he releases the charge.

Some aesthetic changes:
An alternate costume similar to his Lord Ike costume in PoR. Maybe RD Ike if they can pull off a proper model.
And the color of his eruption should correlate with his costume i.e. Standard - red and blue. Red - red. Blue- blue. Green - green. Tan - red and green. Gold - golden.
Just an idea.

Last edited:

Commander

Smash Ace
I think some moves such as his tilts and his QD attack should have little hitlag. All though Ike is not a character who's very reliant on combos, lessening the hitlag on his tilts and QD attack would restore some of his combos from 2.1. As for his matchup against characters with projectiles (this is simply a slight suggestion) perhaps some light armor could be added while he's charging his QD, and maybe the first few frames of him after he releases the charge.

Some aesthetic changes:
An alternate costume similar to his Lord Ike costume in PoR. Maybe RD Ike if they can pull off a proper model.
And the color of his eruption should correlate with his costume i.e. Standard - red and blue. Red - red. Blue- blue. Green - green. Tan - red and green. Gold - golden.
Just an idea.
Incredibly safe tilts was part of what made him broken in 2.1. Projectiles are easy for most characters(except Falco's lasers), you just nair through them. Eruption should always be blue. Ragnell only hass blue fire.

Commander

Smash Ace
So very light armor, like 3%, to help him against Falco's god-like lasers.
Better idea, don't use quick draw to approach Falco. Quick draw is to be used to get in an opponent's face fast. QD cannot move faster than Falco's laser so you can't use it to get in his face. Just approach Falco while avoiding his lasers with shields and the like.

tadget

Smash Rookie
I was more suggesting the armor to help him recover.
Falco's lasers easily interrupt Ike's QD when trying to recover on stage, allowing for pretty easy gimps.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Usually when you're in a position to QD back onto the stage, you're also in a position to DI to a position close enough to Aether, especially considering Aether's increased horizontal reach from Brawl. If Falco lasers your QD, you're probably still not entirely screwed. This is ignoring mix-ups like recovering high, wall-jumps, etc. Falco by no means has free gimps on Ike.

Additionally, Ragnell's flame color is a canonical reference, not an aesthetic decision.

Light armor on Ike is neither thematic in any way, nor would it be wise considering his style of play. It's not a decision that makes sense.

tadget

Smash Rookie
Is Ike's dair a spike still? Or is it a meteor smash now? I definitely think his dair should be a spike and shouldn't be able to be cancelled.
Also his dash attack seems a tad bit slow, maybe speed it up by about 10%.

THK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRedKirby
3DS FC
1005-9416-8042
The very idea of QD blowing through projectiles sickens me. Ike's awesome right now as is. If there's any change I'd make is a comedic cosmetic one of replacing his sword with a tree cause it sounds like he's hitting you with one (which is an awesome sound by the way) *THUNK*.

Commander

Smash Ace
An option to replace Ragnell with Urvan would be amazing, aesthetically speaking, though the animations would make it look too weird.
Ettard would be a better option. No idea how Eruption would be explained then though.

Commander

Smash Ace
Am I the only one that likes smashing the Black Knight's face in with Urvan instead of Ragnell? It feels like a simultaneous '**** you' and poetic justice.

Eruption already makes no goddessdamned sense
Well Ragnell does shoot blue fire. Ike is just sandbagging.

Madolche ♦ Procione

Smash Apprentice
The fact he is even using a weapon is sandbagging.
Considering one of his most effective moves is him just punching, this is eerily accurate...
Maybe the only reason he used a weapon against a goddess in the first place was to make it more sporting.
...Ike for SS tier. :ike:

Burning Boom

Smash Apprentice
Considering one of his most effective moves is him just punching, this is eerily accurate...
Maybe the only reason he used a weapon against a goddess in the first place was to make it more sporting.
...Ike for SS tier. :ike:
Well, he does let other people fight with him for the fun of it. After all, he can beat PoR by himself.

TylerX5

Smash Apprentice
I would want to see 2 buffs to Ike

1) Make his Dair a bit faster (maybe make it so it takes 4/5th the frames it has now)

2) angle his Bair slightly more downward ( not exactly 45 degress like Falcon's bair but just enough so it can hit shorter characters more easily)

Commander

Smash Ace
I would want to see 2 buffs to Ike

1) Make his Dair a bit faster (maybe make it so it takes 4/5th the frames it has now)

2) angle his Bair slightly more downward ( not exactly 45 degress like Falcon's bair but just enough so it can hit shorter characters more easily)
If the Bair was angled downward it would be useless on big characters and would b dumb. Don't use bair on grounded opponents. Just learn how to time your Dair. It doesn't have any problems.

TylerX5

Smash Apprentice
Why that make it useless against big characters? And I said "slightly" more downward. I'm not Talking anything drastic just a few degrees

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Ike is perfect the way he is, he's probably one of the most well-designed and well-balanced characters in the game.

NWRL

Smash Ace
The only thing I can really say that Ike struggles with is OoS options

Top Bottom