• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike and Tiers (NO THIS IS NOT WHAT YOU THINK)

e105beta

Smash Journeyman
So everybody on there respective boards always believes their character deserves to be top tier, especially the Ikers.
So here's the question, are the tiers in Brawl going to be as drastic as they were in melee? I believe not in the slightest. Mainly because, as an Ike player, I can kill a lot more people than "pro***s" (and I use this word with a grain of salt) say I should be able to.

Have at it.

Jamaz

Smash Rookie
I actually have no idea what goes in the ***. Also I think almost everyone agrees the difference in characters are much closer than before and there is a larger top competitive selection than before. Everyone is still very much convinced it's too early to make judgment as well.

Personally, I think Ike can go toe to toe with a lot of the top tier characters even in tournament level play but others just work too well against him. Like, Ike vs Marth, Ike vs Meta Knight might be balanced enough to not have a one-sided favor. Unlike Marth or Meta Knight though, he has a great deal of trouble keeping pressure on the half dozen or so projectile characters. I personally have trouble with light, short characters too.

XSilvenX

Smash Lord
So everybody on there respective boards always believes their character deserves to be top tier, especially the Ikers.
So here's the question, are the tiers in Brawl going to be as drastic as they were in melee? I believe not in the slightest. Mainly because, as an Ike player, I can kill a lot more people than "pro***s" (and I use this word with a grain of salt) say I should be able to.

Have at it.
WRONG... I'm sure the people in the Sonic, Falcon and Link section know they're fighting for either Bottom or Low tier. :laugh:

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
I main Mario and Ike and I know they won't be top tier. Ike's slow and laggy moves and Mario's bad range prevent them from being top tier. However, I think that they'll do well in tournaments and due to Toon Link, Wolf, and the fact that Brawl emphasizes on camping, the tier list may become quite drastic.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Jiggy, Falcon, Ganon, Sonic, Link, all those mentioned above are fighting to at bottom mid tier. Sheesh tiers don't matter at ALL! who cares where your character is? The lower the funnier it will be when you beat someone who makes the tier list their life for brawl. Just use whoever, any character can beat another char. You just need to know how to use them.

And Ike vs Marth is starting to be in Marth's favor a bit. Since Recently Ike's jab won't work on Marth.

Doval

Smash Lord
Just use whoever, any character can beat another char. You just need to know how to use them.
Only in an idealized world.

In reality, characters aren't evenly matched against each other (and never will be, no matter how balanced a game is.) When a character has an advantage over another, it limits the opponent's options, which in turn limits the "mind games" that person can do. There are only so many ways too approach. You're basically suggesting that if you're smart enough you can win, but you fail to take into account that your opponent is also a human being and can see through your ruse and/or come up with mind games of his own. It's not like technical skill is even a big factor any more since you don't need to know how to wavedash, L-cancel, or edge tech any more.

I guess what I'm getting at is that it's naive to imply tiers don't matter. There'll always be characters that can perform decently against the vast majority of the roster, and characters that perform well against some but are dominated by everyone else. It's like using Roy in Melee - good as you may be with him, there's no changing the fact that you're fighting an uphill battle and most characters have pronounced advantages over you.

e105beta

Smash Journeyman
I main Mario and Ike and I know they won't be top tier. Ike's slow and laggy moves and Mario's bad range prevent them from being top tier. However, I think that they'll do well in tournaments and due to Toon Link, Wolf, and the fact that Brawl emphasizes on camping, the tier list may become quite drastic.
I've noticed Brawl has some serious camping in it, but to say that it emphasizes on camping seems to be a bit extreme.

In reality, characters aren't evenly matched against each other (and never will be, no matter how balanced a game is.) When a character has an advantage over another, it limits the opponent's options, which in turn limits the "mind games" that person can do. There are only so many ways too approach. You're basically suggesting that if you're smart enough you can win, but you fail to take into account that your opponent is also a human being and can see through your ruse and/or come up with mind games of his own. It's not like technical skill is even a big factor any more since you don't need to know how to wavedash, L-cancel, or edge tech any more.

I guess what I'm getting at is that it's naive to imply tiers don't matter. There'll always be characters that can perform decently against the vast majority of the roster, and characters that perform well against some but are dominated by everyone else. It's like using Roy in Melee - good as you may be with him, there's no changing the fact that you're fighting an uphill battle and most characters have pronounced advantages over you.
I don't know...tiers in brawl seem a little more like rock paper scissors

XSilvenX

Smash Lord

YOU WIN THE INTERNET!!!

DONE!

5 STAR POST!

Give this man an emmy.

GoForkUrself

Smash Apprentice
However, what is important is that not all top tiers will do well vs all lower tiers. Pikachu for example will not be top tier. However, Pikachu owns many top tier characters. As an Ike/Snake mainer, the last thing I want to battle in a tourney is a Pikachu. Mid tier Ike gets owned by the rodent, and Snake gets crushed by him as well even though Pikachu is at best, a second tier character. Top tier MK and Snake do have characters that completely demolish them, just like everyone else in the game so it is naive to think they are really important. They can be used as a generalization about their matchups, but nothing more.

Top Bottom