• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike: An amazing teammate

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Let's see, the reason Fox and Jigglypuff were so freaking amazing at teams in Melee was because of their killing moves. Considering Ike's ridiculous brute strength, a partner's grab or throw or attack could easily set up a kill for Ike at super low percents. How does that sound, fellas? Ike might just be one of the best characters to have as a teammate with his strength.

We might just have a whole new game in competitive teams because of the overall physics change. The strategy of separating the match into two one-on-one matches would still be a viable strat but teamwork might be a much larger issue!

As the only fighting game with a 2-on-2 mode, the endless possibilities could prove that Ike can be a great character despite his speed.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
but fox and jiggs actually had decent startup time for their killing moves. ike is just...slow. his smashes thus far are what will be his only killing moves and maybe eruption as well. but their startup time is terrible.

fire_wulf

Smash Journeyman
Although i have seen some videos that show him not flying too far off screen and most people playing don't try and use his >B to get closer to the stage.
Maybe he is better at getting back with a few neat tricks. I agree for having him as a great doubles player. I am going to man him. He better be bad***

Cless

Smash Champion
Although i have seen some videos that show him not flying too far off screen and most people playing don't try and use his >B to get closer to the stage.
Maybe he is better at getting back with a few neat tricks. I agree for having him as a great doubles player. I am going to man him. He better be bad***
People don't use his side b because it puts you into a post air dodge state. If they can't get there with it as a third jump, then there's no point in using it.

kunai_abuser

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, even with a teammate, Ike will still suffer unless his partner is like Jigglypuff singing to, from what I've seen/heard, the opponent has to be stupid or stationary to make Ike effective.

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
Nice prediction. i wonder how ike and diddy will be on teams or ike can be the king peace of the team and once he is gone the game is over:urg:

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
Even if Ike was speed up a little, I think that whether or not he'll succeed in team battles will depend on how well he can work with his teammate to gang up, and prevent getting split into two 1 vs 1s.

True Fool

Smash Ace
Team games didn't make Bowser shoot up in amazing usefullness, so don't get your hopes up on that one. Especially considering that Bowser actually had some usable moves, which is a bit more than we can say for Ike.

It's not as if you can say Ike+Top-tier character makes a great team, because almost anyone+Top-tier character makes a good team...because of the top-tier character >_>

Fireflare

Smash Cadet
lol roy and ike would be a great team...^^first kill the first enemy than charge up ike's f smash and roy down throw XD

Jisike

Smash Journeyman
Team games didn't make Bowser shoot up in amazing usefullness, so don't get your hopes up on that one. Especially considering that Bowser actually had some usable moves, which is a bit more than we can say for Ike.
Bowser wasn't NEARLY as powerful as ike. not even close.

but still, ike will get owned in doubles because of his horrible recovery, and that every attack he does will get him punished.

Ragnell94

Smash Cadet
I personally agree with u and think that ike will prob. b my main b/c roy and marth were my best in mele. I think that there will b many charecters that ike will b a help 2 and would b great working with them

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
Ike can make lots of damage to enemies while you get their attention, and give em' the finishing blow, even if they don't have lots of Damage, right?

Well, I think I'd do that strategy with my friend, similar to the one with the Marth and Ganondorf team we do.

True Fool

Smash Ace
Bowser wasn't NEARLY as powerful as ike. not even close.

but still, ike will get owned in doubles because of his horrible recovery, and that every attack he does will get him punished.
Ike wasn't NEARLY as slow as Bowser. Not even close.

fire_wulf

Smash Journeyman
I like the Ike + MK team. MK juggles the others around, >B's them straight into a charged smash from Ike. I don't know.... Think about it

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
There is a problem with these ideas of setting up for Ike's attacks. There is the other opponent who will most likely interrupt it.

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
Even though this is getting off topic, I'll just say that you can sweetspot the ledge with Ike's side-B.

Back on topic. Has there ever been a successful doubles team in tournaments that had a low-tier partner?

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
well i saw in one of the demos Ikes Dsmash. it wasn't to slow or laggy, and it killed everything in sight.

fire_wulf

Smash Journeyman
There is a problem with these ideas of setting up for Ike's attacks. There is the other opponent who will most likely interrupt it.
That is always a good possibility.... But you never know what can happen. I guess you just have to try things out. To me, MK just seems like a great partner for Ike because he can keep more than one character occupied and take little damage if done correctly.

The Dragon

Smash Journeyman
yeas but an experienced team would tag ike seeing as he would be the easier to kill of the 2.. since hes too slow at the moment to mount an effective counterattack.... key words (at the moment.. for all we know that could change)

KingDedede2

Smash Cadet
I feel bad for poor ike .... I think he may be a good teamate but at times he might not be that good :dizzy:

Hellbeing

Smash Journeyman
but fox and jiggs actually had decent startup time for their killing moves. ike is just...slow. his smashes thus far are what will be his only killing moves and maybe eruption as well. but their startup time is terrible.
did u play the demo? if not you cant really say much about him...

fire_wulf

Smash Journeyman
yeas but an experienced team would tag ike seeing as he would be the easier to kill of the 2.. since hes too slow at the moment to mount an effective counterattack.... key words (at the moment.. for all we know that could change)
Tag Ike... take some hits in the back from the speedy demon MK

Flaminglink

Smash Journeyman
LMAO Ikes third jump is like kirby's but with fire and flash effects XD.

But Kirby's third jump suits him because kirby can actually use it to make it back the edge from far away ike can't XD.

Iceman12

Smash Journeyman
Ike, in all likely events, will get his lag removed or reduced, and that would go miles for helping him. He's got the range being a sword user, its just his lag. To the dude who posted earlier about his down smash, which video is that? I'd like to see it.

did u play the demo? if not you cant really say much about him...
I did, and he's right. Just because Ike has the potential to kill where the other character has the ability to rack up damage and manuever doesn't make Ike liable; it makes the other character liable. I'll say it again: Team matches aren't about taking advantage of your partners abilities and using them as your personal benifit, it's about being capable to defend yourself and your team mate. What use is it fight another persons battle if you can't fight your own?

Ike, in all likely events, will get his lag removed or reduced, and that would go miles for helping him. He's got the range being a sword user, its just his lag. To the dude who posted earlier about his down smash, which video is that? I'd like to see it.
One can only hope. If it's true that the characters in the demo were finished in development, then Ike will eternally suffer.

orintemple

Smash Lord
Poor Ike. I am surprised that they would make a mistake like this. Brawl seems to be heavily about maintaining balance among the characters but if Ike is this bad then that throws it way off. I would be amazed if Sakurai doesn't pick this up and have Ike changed, surely Sakurai has played his own game.

S2

Smash Lord
I think it's hard to say what Ike's team potential will be this early.

For all we know, he might have some sort of abusive strat we just don't know about. But if they don't change his startup lag, more than likely he's probably not going to be that great.

Since we don't know what kind of advanced techs are going to emerge, its way to early to call on this kind of stuff. Characters who appear mediocre at first might not be as bad if some new advanced tech gives them an uber mindgame. Not a lot of people saw any potential with the IC in melee at first. They were at the bottom of the tier list before people figured out how to de-sync them properly, abuse their throws, wavedash, etc. Honestly, I don' t think Ike is going to be very good... but there is always hope.

But is it really viable to choose him over a higher tiered character?

Since team attack is on, it better be a team that is really focused on opportunistic kills and really good at not hitting each other.

Rakath

Smash Ace
When it comes to Ike's team power, it depends on how good Ike can play on a defensive game. If Ike can keep his opponent busy without dying. The partner can be one of a few options.

One - Sniper (Falco): Someone that can fire off shots at range to keep the opponent pinned so Ike can land a solid blow. Most of the fighting is done by both together where Ike has to hold his own in both survival and kills. A mid-long range shooter should work here, but they need to be fast and cause Flinch (Fox won't work for that).

Two - Combo (Meta Knight): This is a lot more based on the partner with Ike as support. Ike spends his time dodging one (and keeping his partner out of a double team) while his partner racks up the damage on the other. Ike comes in for the finisher while his partner swaps over. Anyone especially fast should be able to work. Ike will be doing a lot of edgeguarding (Disjointed hitboxes and the Aether hog work).

Three - Tosser (Jigglypuff): Another pair where Ike has to at least be able to hold his own, the ending moves are Ike doing a power strike on someone who is unable to fight back due to being in a fall animation. This is the least useful of the set-ups if Ike can't actually hold his own in combat.

However this is based only on what I can see out of the E4A videos without playing and based on descriptions of how Ike plays by various people with conflicting biases. After the game is out it'll be easier to guage his partnership ability.

Top Bottom