• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If you're thinking about getting a mayflash adapter for WiiU and P:M...Dont.

uCooL

Smash Ace
NNID
SuperMurio
I've seen a few things online (namely reviews for the product and stuff on reddit) claiming these are nearly lag-less, and how theyre perfect since the WiiU doesnt have GC ports. Well let me tell you friends, these are FAR from perfect. I bought two of these off of amazon and they arrived today, only to slap me in the face.

1. These absolutely have lag on all inputs, it was obvious within the first 5 seconds I started using it.

2. the May flash doesnt scale the GC jotstick correctly to emulate the CC joystick. For example: while dashing ill suddenly stop, or ill suddenly crouch, rarely, but it is annoying.

3. I use tap and x to jump when i play. about 20 percent of the time the tap jump registers twice (when i only press it once) and makes my character use both jumps.

4. playing with this adapter just feels horribly sloppy when compared to GC ports. I feel if i keep playing with it i could eventually get used to the lag, but learning P:M while learning to compensate for the horrendous lag just seems wrong.

5. Im aware my controller is now plugged into a wiimote which has to transmit all of the button presses wirelessly. Im just wondering why i kept reading it was a viable solution for us WiiU owners. It absolutely is not.

Hope i saved someone a few bucks.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
still waiting for someone to figure out how to just use a classic controller via wired USB

it's not like it's impossible, any arcade stick that exists for the wii does basically that

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
You may also be experiencing some wireless interference. I had similar issues when I was using my Wavebird -- suddenly stopping or crouching when dashing and double jumping when I only pushed it once. I just had to change the Wavebird's channel and it went away.

Probably not the same issue at all but I just thought it was interesting that I had those two exact problems.

Anyway, thanks for the heads-up on the lag in particular. Shame.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
"Nearly lagless" does not mean "lagless". It is to be expected that there is some lag, and you should have prepared for it before ordering it.

Minor Pandemic

Smash Apprentice
Can we give metroid one of those banners below his avatar and have it say "Nicest Smasher"

I don't think I've ever seen him say something that wasn't kind and considerate.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
Thanks for the confirmation. I've always been really skeptical.

Is there any kind of USB gamepad support on the Wii U? Not having it makes absolutely no sense, but this is Nintendo, the people who put tripping into smash.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Lag is playable if it ain't bad. I've played on 5 different HDTVs, 3 of them were horrible, 2 of them were tolerable. 1 of those tolerable HDTVs was at a tournament, which I won because I got to play on even worse HDTVS before =) [and Wifi tactics]
http://smashboards.com/threads/exp-gaming-wavedash-wednesday-3-27-13.335279/

There MIGHT be more ways to reduce the lag or at least in the future, You're using a CRT TV right?

uCooL

Smash Ace
NNID
SuperMurio
Lag is playable if it ain't bad. I've played on 5 different HDTVs, 3 of them were horrible, 2 of them were tolerable. 1 of those tolerable HDTVs was at a tournament, which I won because I got to play on even worse HDTVS before =) [and Wifi tactics]
http://smashboards.com/threads/exp-gaming-wavedash-wednesday-3-27-13.335279/

There MIGHT be more ways to reduce the lag or at least in the future, You're using a CRT TV right?

nope LG hd TV with game mode on. P:M on the wii using GC ports felt quick and snappy.

using a wiiU and mayflash felt gross and semi responsive, to put it simply.

The only way to reduce lag is to use hardwired controllers, any input you put into the wiimote has to be encypted, transmitted, and then decypted at the vWii

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
Thanks for the confirmation. I've always been really skeptical.

Is there any kind of USB gamepad support on the Wii U? Not having it makes absolutely no sense, but this is Nintendo, the people who put tripping into smash.
it exists, if the madcatz arcade sticks are implying anything

there will probably be some by the time SSB4 comes out at least

Wrestlemania

The Steel Chair
I am pretty sure even with an hdmi cable and game mode on there will be lag on an hd tv because in wii mode the game is still only outputting in 480 I am not saying it will be much better but I would see if a CRT would make any difference. I am willing to bet a Money in the Bank briefcase on it.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
I own one and it works virtually the same as a normal GC controller with unnoticeable amounts of lag. Are you sure you're playing on a CRT? The Wii U does not upscale Wii games and the lag remains on HD TVs.

uCooL

Smash Ace
NNID
SuperMurio
I own one and it works virtually the same as a normal GC controller with unnoticeable amounts of lag. Are you sure you're playing on a CRT? The Wii U does not upscale Wii games and the lag remains on HD TVs.

I have almost no lag while playing on my hd tv in game mode using a wii with GC ports.

I have a **** ton of lag while playing on the same tv in game mode using "wii mode" on the wiiu and mayflash adapters

SpiderMad

Smash Master
I have almost no lag while playing on my hd tv in game mode using a wii with GC ports.

I have a **** ton of lag while playing on the same tv in game mode using "wii mode" on the wiiu and mayflash adapters
I'd still test out a CRT if you get the chance

Vigilante

Smash Lord
JCaesar actually tested it on his own Wii U, and told me it worked fine. It also works for me.

But yeah, any CRT will surpass even the best gaming HD TVs in terms of minimal input lag.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Your problem might be the contrary to what everyone is saying.

Contrary to what people are saying the Wii U does upscale the signal. I have a Wii that lags on both of my HD TVs with both AV and Component cables yet I have 0 lag when playing the same games (including Smash Brawl/Project M) on my Wii U. (as long as I am using HDMI cable)

You guys need to understand WHY HD TVs lag and understand that the Wii U will lag on anything that is not 720p or 1080p native. What this means is that if your HD TV is not good enough the Wii U will lag and it will certainly lag. I have already tested this as my Wii U lagged on my mom's house TV which has 720p capability but also has 480i native resolution.

Basically think about it this way:

There is game resolution, console resolution output, cable resolution transfer, tv resolution input and tv resolution output.

Everytime something does not match it means that either the TV or the console has to do a time consuming conversion.

Lets take the Wii for example. When you try to send its 480i resolution to an 1080p native HD TV, the tv needs to take time converting said image in order to show it correctly which equates in lag.

On the other hand when the Wii u receives 480i from the SSBB game it also takes time converting it to a signal it can send through the HDMI cable (assuming you have it connected through HDMI). Now from what I understand, since the Wii U is not going to display the image it takes much less time for the Wii U to convert the resolution than it would for the TV to do so.

Basically when the Wii U sends said image the TV received it in correct format and just displays it without having to convert it.

To make a long story short. As long as your console's native resolution, cable resolution and TV native's resolution match, you shouldn't ever have TV lag.

Since consoles normally match their native resolutions to those which the cable can send then you have no need to check for this, and because you cannot change a game's resolution (well you can in some games, but you can't in most) and since that step is very minimal then you can disregard it as well. This means that the only step you should be worried about is the TV input->TV output step.

Basically try to get a TV that has a native output that matches the cables transfer resolution (which is what will be inputting the resolution into your TV). If you do this there will almost never be lag. Since HDMi is 720p/1080p, any TV with native 1080p (and maybe 720p not sure) should not be lagging while playing any game on the Wii U.

It's the reason why Wii's lag on some HD TVs and don't lag in others, because some TVs have multiple graphics cards with different native resolutions to handle different signals without the need to convert. This is turn means the TV can handle the Wii's signal without having to convert it and thus no lag.

Try connecting the Wii U with the HDMI cable. If it doesn't work go to a friends house who has an assured 1080p native HD TV and try it out there. I can 100% assure you there is no TV lag from the Wii U to an 1080p native HD Tv

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Also unless the Wii U has native 480i (I know it has the capability to downcale) playing on CRT might lag more than on HD TVs. Although the lag might still be unnoticeable or easily disregarded.

Also it is good to note that the Wii U has 2 cables available. As such it is probable that the Wii U does not upscale while sending its signal through the AV cables (or it might upscale at step one and then downscale back at step 2, depends on how Nintendo handled it). What this means is that the AV cable still sends <480p signal which means that using those cables will lag on any TV that does not support less than 480p as Native Resolution. But on the other hand it also means that the Wii U might not lag on TVs that do not have 1080p native resolution as long as you use those cables.

ToTs

Smash Artist
NNID
x_ToTs_x
I have two of these as well. Since I'm just now getting into the more advanced part of smash that I never knew existed, I had no choice to get these because of my WiiU. I don't have a GC port wii either. I don't really have any problems with it. The only thing I might suggest is using a wii remote without motion plus, with motion plus sometimes it took forever to recognize the controller. I do notice the stoping thing, but it happens very litte almost never, then again I FoxTrot most of the time or WD. I've never had the double button problem. Every weekend I play at friends, he has the older wii, and I don't notice any change when I play, I don't feel like it's any dif than playing with my mayflash. So if it's your only option go for it, I have no prob with mine.

Alm5252

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ALM5252
I play Project M almost exclusively on my Wii U. I've adapted to the Classic Controller Pro to the point that a GameCube controller feels weird now, and I love the GC Controller. I also use Devolution to play some of my other GameCube games, and the Wii U Pro Controller feels nice and better. It's weird. :O

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
I play P:M on a Wii U with a 1080p TV, using a Classic Controller Pro. As much as I'd love to be able to use a GameCube controller, I figured I should learn how to use the diamond button layout, mainly for Smash 4, both on Wii U (in case it only has Pro Controller support, not Classic Controller, and therefore no way to use a GCN controller even with adapters) and on 3DS (where there's only one control option). I haven't noticed any input lag when using this setup. I've thought about picking up a few of these adapters, but I think I'll just stick with what I've got, at least for now.

XalchemistX

Smash Ace
NNID
Alchemistx
I have a question. I'm using a HDTV and was wondering if using component cables rather than a HDMI will reduce lag.

Thanks

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I have a question. I'm using a HDTV and was wondering if using component cables rather than a HDMI will reduce lag.

Thanks

Depends completely on your TV and on which game you are playing. On a TV that supports both component and HDMI as native resolutions you might be better off using component for Wii games and HDMI for Wii U games (Although you will probably not notice the lag on either of them). Otherwise HDMI will probably have less lag if your TV is from the past 3-4 years (as most of the newer TVs have native 1080p resolution and don't have native 480i, like my own TV).

Answer: Test them both out or just look up your TV model's information online.

Top Bottom