• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If you were in charge of the newcomers, what would be your criteria?

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Sakurai has stated that in order for a character to be accepted as a fighter, they have to meet a set of criteria. Now pretend you've assumed the role of Sakurai, and you get to pick what the criteria for newcomers is. Would you keep it the same? Make it more or less specific? Make it silly? Would newcomers be proposed in a project proposal from the beginning, or would you set aside a certain amount of "slots" and choose fighters to fill them? Would fighters be chosen by voting, at random, whoever wins a game of poker gets to decide? How would you do it?

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
  1. Video Game Origin
  2. Popularity (This would have to be as perceived by my team and I.)
  3. Tonal Fit with main cast (Bayonetta and Snake don't fit with Mario.)
  4. Moveset Potential (Ashley has almost nothing to draw from. Waluigi doesn't have moves of his own.)
  5. Uniqueness (A bunch of characters that look too similar or have too similar moves is boring to me.

D

Deleted member

I don't care about the criteria as long as I'm allowed to add Beat (Jet Set Radio), Master Chief (Halo), And Rayman (Rayman)

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
  1. Video Game Origin
  2. Moveset Potential (The main thing I look for in characters to support is what sort of archetype and skills they can contribute to the roster.)
  3. Uniqueness
  4. Ties to Nintendo
  5. Popularity (I would spend a lot of time on message boards like this one scouting out the most hotly desired characters.)
  6. Relevance (Yes, I would have to include, say, Lycanroc and Decidueye before Corsola.)

Last edited:

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
1. Originated from a video game (duh)
2. Closely linked or tied to Nintendo (If their series has never been on a Nintendo console, instant no. If the character hasn't, probably still no.)
3. Requested or popular enough to be well-received by Smash fans (well-received by non-smash fans wouldn't matter to me.)
4. Possible to put into smash without making too many leaps in logic, staying true to their character (Heihachi is a great example of not fitting this.)
5. They have the potential to add something unique to the roster, relative to effort put in (Echo fighters with small changes are great, totally unique characters with the same archetype are not.)

Marmotbro

Smash Apprentice
1. Is it video games?
2. Is it fun?

That is literally all it would be. Nothing else matters in my eyes.

Top Bottom