• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If you were in charge of roster picking for an upcoming Smash!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
The two being the same person in canon is not as important as how they differ in gameplay. We seem to have narrowed down on Doc, but your argument for why he should be a skin doesn't cover the cases of Lucina or Dark Pit.
It doesn't cover them, because, as I said, "the others can be debated". While they don't offer a whole lot right now, they could easily be changed to further differentiate themselves. If they don't though, I see no reason why they'd be anything more than costumes either.

As for Doc, it's not so much about being canon, it's more about that his moveset doesn't change enough to justify a whole new character. The only reason he's played differently is because power, weight, speed were all changed just to make them work. Unnecessary if you ask me, seeing that he makes an awesome choice for a costume, but a poor one for a character.

I'm just going to have to disagree with you on this, chieftain. A character should return in its entirety or it shouldn't return at all - the compromise you're suggesting wouldn't really make anyone happy.
That's funny, because I'd be happy. I know I've seen many want Dr. Mario, and other clones cut as well, so I'd assume they'd be happy too.

View attachment 70106
Have another revision of my roster... Again, Criticisms are appreciated.

(Again, Yellow boxes are SUGGESTIONS for DLC that would be given to the team.)
Here's my criticisms
- Giana (long shot, isn't nearly as iconic and popular as other third-parties)
- Lana (she is more Dynasty Warriors character than Zelda character, and it really doesn't make sense to add her Impa, Tingle, etc.)
- Piplup (I know he's your personal choice, but I fail to see him as a good choice when we already have a Water type and a Gen IV Pokemon)
- Toon Link and Pichu wouldn't work as alts.
- Dixie Kong but no King K. Rool (more villains would be nice, plus K. Rool would be more unique option, and many rosters have included them both)

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Here's the thing. The people who want Dr. Mario as a fighter, do they actually like him? I mean Dr. Mario himself.

See, K. Rool supporters want K. Rool not because of his potential moveset or playstyle, they want him because they actually love K. Rool himself! It doesn't matter to them how he'll play, they'll just be happy he's in the game. Can the same sentiment be said for Dr. Mario? No. People just like him because he got a slight tweak in strength and has the Tornado. That's not love. And that's not a good reason to stand beside these other beloved characters and personalities.

Last edited:

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Is this technically a roster thread?

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Here's the thing. The people who want Dr. Mario as a fighter, do they actually like him? I mean Dr. Mario himself.

See, K. Rool supporters want K. Rool not because of his potential moveset or playstyle, they want him because they actually love K. Rool himself! It doesn't matter to them how he'll play, they'll just be happy he's in the game. Can the same sentiment be said for Dr. Mario? No. People just like him because he got a slight tweak in strength and has the Tornado. That's not love. And that's not a good reason to stand beside these other beloved characters and personalities.
I objectively prefer Doc over Mario because he's a funny doctor with his own distinct abilities and personality.

Your thesis statement is fundamentally flawed.

Crimson23

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0662-3915-4434
Veterans:
From 64:
:4mario:(With Melee moveset)
:4link:
:4samus:
:4ness:
:4pikachu:
:4luigi:
:4falcon:
:4jigglypuff:
:4fox:
:4kirby:
:4dk:
:4yoshi:
From Melee:
All except Pichu, Young Link
Dr.Mario is changed a bit to declone him
Ice Climbers can become SoPo/SoNa, this is required for handheld version
From Brawl:
(To Brawl Theme) ALL FROM THE BRAAAAAAWL!!!
From Smash 4: All except Dark Pit
NEWCOMERS:
Bandana Dee
Ninten
Nabbit if he keeps making appearances
King K. Rool
I can't think of any more.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I objectively prefer Doc over Mario because he's a funny doctor with his own distinct abilities and personality.

Your thesis statement is fundamentally flawed.
Mind elaborating? What distinct abilities does he own. What about his personality do you like? Is everyone else getting a different Dr.Mario than mine, because I sure don't have this hilarious doctor doing his own distinct things.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Mind elaborating? What distinct abilities does he own. What about his personality do you like? Is everyone else getting a different Dr.Mario than mine, because I sure don't have this hilarious doctor doing his own distinct things.
He has an advanced degree in medicine, he fights viruses instead of rescuing princess from demon turtles, he's a medical genius who's dedicated his life to the eradication of malicious diseases, he has the honoured distinction of drawing inspiration from a puzzle game.

I like that he's an alternate depiction of Mario. We're used to Mario the hero who gets his hands dirty and fights evildoers with a chipper smile, but what if things were different? What if Mario inhabited a world where, instead of dark magic and diabolical reptiles, the real threat to civilisation was human illness? Who's going to be the hero to save the day this time?

Dr Mario, that's who.

Doc is sterner than his mushroom-bloated counterpart; his commitment to his medicinal duties has demonstrated to him the inherent weakness of the human form, yet he perseveres, for he knows that life will yet find its way. Doc is a much more real character than Mario, because he is emblematic of the person we could all be: the person who chooses to sacrifice an existence of comfort and serenity in order to do good for their fellow man. Doc understands that there is no abstract battle between good and evil that defines the state of man: there is just man, the animal, the machine, that wills itself to live even in the face of indomitable illness and disease. Doc is stronger than Mario. He is a true hero.

Total theorycraft?

Absolutely.

Coy satire?

Maybe, maybe.

But if you just write off Doc as "Mario in a lab coat", to the extent that you can't even determine what could, in theory, set him apart...

Well, then maybe he is just Mario in a lab coat.

I don't see it that way.

#FreeDoc

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I've always preferred Dr. Mario to Mario, for the same reason I alternate costumes over the default.
Because they look cool.
Plus you can't deny that it is satisfying to wreck someone with a doctor.

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
Seems pretty good - I have no knowledge about Yokai Watch or Professor Layton, so I can't comment on those, but I just have one criticism, which I've bolded below.
Aww, what the heck. I actually like the guy, so I'll put him back in the roster. :D

Anyway, here's why I think the following 22 characters are deserving reps for the next Smash.

Warning: It's a long list with big pictures.

Captain Toad

Toad has been a widely requested character possibly since the Smash series' inception, especially in Japan. Despite his popularity, he has never achieved playable character status. But now we have Captain Toad who has recently starred as the main character of the adorable game Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker. He seems like the most logical choice as the next Mario rep. The inability to jump would be a unique mechanic to this character as all Smash characters so far can jump.

Dixie Kong
Dixie Kong, along with a certain reptile villain, are the most deserving characters to be in Smash. I really don't understand why Sakurai keeps neglecting the DK series. I don't think much else needs to be said about why Dixie deserves to be in.

King K. Rool
The same as Dixie Kong. He is a heavyweight villain character with unique potential who has been heavily requested for the past few Smash games. As much as I respect him as a game developer, Sakurai would be a fool to not include him.

Takamaru
He is a good fit as the next Retro character. Plus IIRC, Takamaru was a possible character for SSB4.

Impa
Thanks to her role in both Hyrule Warriors and Skyward Sword, Impa has grown in popularity. She has made consistent appearances throughout the Zelda series that makes her the most deserving Zelda character to be in Smash. I wouldn't be surprised to see her in Zelda Wii U with a (more?) prominent role. Zelda did not get a chance to gain a rep this iteration, and arguably hasn't gained a new rep since Melee.

Ridley
The single most requested character for all eternity. At this point, I don't think I need to state why he should be in Smash.

Azura/Corrin/Upcoming FE game rep
Honestly, I'm hoping for Azura to be in the next Smash due to her uniqueness as a Smash fighter and as a Fire Emblem rep. She'd be the first female FE character who doesn't resemble another FE character from Smash. Quite frankly, I imagine the next rep will be someone from a future FE game because there's bound to be another game before the next Smash hits.

Bandana Dee/Waddle Dee/Whatever Dee
I actually don't know a whole lot about this character, but I do recognize that he has a considerable amount of support. He seems like the next most important Kirby character to be included. He does look adorable and yet bad*ss at the same time.

Krystal/Slippy
Even though my support for her has slowly withered, I have been a long-time Krystal supporter since the pre-Brawl days. If she were to get in Smash, it would be due to her popularity. As for Slippy, he'd get in due to his recent appearance in Star Fox Zero. It's 50-50 chance for either character, in my opinion.

7th/8th Generation Pokemon
Obviously, a Pokemon from the eventual 7th/8th Generation will be in Smash. Pokemon has been increasing its roster size for every Smash games - Smash 5 won't certainly be an exception.

Isaac
Yet another character with a big following since the pre-Brawl days. By the time Smash 5 rolls out, the Golden Sun games (the first 2 games, at least) will be considered pseudo-retro like Punch-Out!!, so I can imagine Isaac getting the same treatment as Little Mac.

Animal Villager (Various neighbor alts, as well as Isabelle, Tom Nook, etc.)
I actually made a thread a while ago. Sadly, the idea doesn't seem to be popular. :( Animal Crossing is an evergreen Nintendo series that ranks below Mario and Pokemon in terms of popularity. Imagine playing as your favorite neighbor! *melts* Isabelle would probably be the default alt for the concept due to her being an iconic character in AC.

Elma
Should be obvious to y'all, but she is my number one most requested character. Shamelessly linking to my thread so that you can see why she is a great candidate.

Wonder Red
He's definitely one of the Wii U stars who shouldn't be overlooked because his game bombed. I've been meaning to buy the Wonderful 101 for a while. Maybe I'll go do that after I'm done typing this. :)

Monita
I can totally see her as the WTF character of Smash 5. I have no other comments. Haha.

Inkling
A no-brainer for Smash 5. Stay fresh!

Chibi-Robo
I haven't even played a single game of this cute looking metallic object creature. I'm planning on getting Zip Lash when it comes out. It wasn't until his amiibo and the new game that I started to believe that Chibi-Robo is a major contender for Smash 5.

Rayman
Quite frankly, I don't really know a whole lot about 3rd party characters, but I view Rayman as one of the remaining contenders for 3rd party representations in Smash 5.
Professor Layton
Honestly, he's only here because of that recent tweet. Although, I cannot deny his popularity during the DS days.

Phoenix Wright
Again, I don't know a whole lot about 3rd party characters. But he does seem like a likely candidate.

Jibanyan
I honestly believe Jibanyan has the best chance to get in Smash 5 as a 3rd party rep. (or is he 2nd party?). Jibanyan is the mascot of the insanely popular Yokai Watch series. I'm hoping that his games will be as popular in western countries as in Japan.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I've always preferred Dr. Mario to Mario, for the same reason I alternate costumes over the default.
Because they look cool.
Plus you can't deny that it is satisfying to wreck someone with a doctor.
So what's the problem with him being a costume then?

He has an advanced degree in medicine, he fights viruses instead of rescuing princess from demon turtles, he's a medical genius who's dedicated his life to the eradication of malicious diseases, he has the honoured distinction of drawing inspiration from a puzzle game.

I like that he's an alternate depiction of Mario. We're used to Mario the hero who gets his hands dirty and fights evildoers with a chipper smile, but what if things were different? What if Mario inhabited a world where, instead of dark magic and diabolical reptiles, the real threat to civilisation was human illness? Who's going to be the hero to save the day this time?

Dr Mario, that's who.

Doc is sterner than his mushroom-bloated counterpart; his commitment to his medicinal duties has demonstrated to him the inherent weakness of the human form, yet he perseveres, for he knows that life will yet find its way. Doc is a much more real character than Mario, because he is emblematic of the person we could all be: the person who chooses to sacrifice an existence of comfort and serenity in order to do good for their fellow man. Doc understands that there is no abstract battle between good and evil that defines the state of man: there is just man, the animal, the machine, that wills itself to live even in the face of indomitable illness and disease. Doc is stronger than Mario. He is a true hero.

Total theorycraft?

Absolutely.

Coy satire?

Maybe, maybe.

But if you just write off Doc as "Mario in a lab coat", to the extent that you can't even determine what could, in theory, set him apart...

Well, then maybe he is just Mario in a lab coat.

I don't see it that way.

#FreeDoc
Very passionate, I'll agree to disagree.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
I'd wind up making several smash games with 50 characters each and 50 'slots' for characters from other smash games. Each game would have an in depth story mode that feeds into the next game coming out.

Game 1: Mario Universe and characters (includes yoshi, donkey kong, and wario spinoffs)
Game 2: Fox, Samus, and Captain Falcon (interstellar mercenaries and bounty hunters, their stories should overlap. Especially Starfox and F Zero).
Game 3: Pikmin, Kid Icarus, and Mother (space faring heroes who aren't in it for the paycheck)
Game 4: Hyrule and Xenoblade
Game 5: Fire Emblem, Kirby, and Retro Reps
Game 6: Pokemon
Game 7: Third Party Party and punch out plus wii fit.

Freduardo, that's 350 characters.

Well yeah, gotta catch em all.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
What's the problem with having him a clone?
I've already listed what I think is the problem with it. I think it's unnecessary to have a character that offers so little to be an actual character while he could easily be a costume. They make changes like in weight and power, to "differentiate" a character that needs no reason to do so. In my eyes, he's much better suited as a costume, and it's not even close.

From your original comment, it seems as though you play with Dr. Mario for the same reasons as playing as someone playing as Blue Yoshi or Purple Luigi, just for the sake of it looking different. So I say again, what's wrong with doc being a costume in your eyes?

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I've already listed what I think is the problem with it. I think it's unnecessary to have a character that offers so little to be an actual character while he could easily be a costume. They make changes like in weight and power, to "differentiate" a character that needs no reason to do so. In my eyes, he's much better suited as a costume, and it's not even close.

From your original comment, it seems as though you play with Dr. Mario for the same reasons as playing as someone playing as Blue Yoshi or Purple Luigi, just for the sake of it looking different. So I say again, what's wrong with doc being a costume in your eyes?
Unnecessary? Maybe. But also, a clone, one that is well-liked, and gives representation to Nintendo's biggest puzzle series.
Also, you are mistaken. What I mean is that I like Dr. Mario because I like playing different versions of a character. For example, Ganondorf and Luigi. Not because he's a palette swap.

Also, for the record, Dr. Mario cannot be a costume. Clone or no, he has an established moveset, and a Dr. Mario that throws Fireballs and uses Fludd is not Dr. Mario. If he is a costume, you might as well not have him at all.
(In my roster, I have Dark Pit and Pit as alts too, true, however, I gave them a new Final Smash both could feasibly use.)

Mario123311

Smash Ace
Once again, Another revision... I tried to add more and so on but also tried to keep the spacing not ****ed up which is kind of hard to do. ((Because everybody around here has theirs in a similar shape to Melee or Brawl/4's, kind of making it a priority it seems...))

MoreLikelyRoster.png

((Once again, Yellow are SUGGESTIONS for DLC characters... Really, It would be up to Nintendo themselves or so.))

Also, Again: If I bring back Melee Mario with stats of Project M, what's the point of giving Doc as his own slot worth?

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Unnecessary? Maybe. But also, a clone, one that is well-liked, and gives representation to Nintendo's biggest puzzle series.
Also, you are mistaken. What I mean is that I like Dr. Mario because I like playing different versions of a character. For example, Ganondorf and Luigi. Not because he's a palette swap.
I was just going by your original comment, but fair enough. The way you worded it made it sound like you were comparing Dr.Mario to other palette swaps.

Also, for the record, Dr. Mario cannot be a costume. Clone or no, he has an established moveset, and a Dr. Mario that throws Fireballs and uses Fludd is not Dr. Mario. If he is a costume, you might as well not have him at all.
(In my roster, I have Dark Pit and Pit as alts too, true, however, I gave them a new Final Smash both could feasibly use.)
That's blatantly untrue, and I hate that this keeps getting repeated. The person who made this choice said they would make Tornado the default down special, and FLUDD a custom move, so I don't see any issue here. To add to that, it's not like Dr. Mario can't use FLUDD. Sure, he'd look weird doing it and it'd make no sense, but all the Koopalings using Bowser Jr's Final Smash makes no sense either, yet it's in the official game. I also don't see the pill argument, seeing that the fireballs and pills work similarly, they can just be swapped with the costumes like how Project M does it.

Point is, he can be a costume.

You don't have to like it, and I'm fine with that, but to say that it can't work makes no sense, and continuing to see this very common roster change be a point of criticism on people's dream rosters is just played out.

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
Once again, Another revision... I tried to add more and so on but also tried to keep the spacing not ****ed up which is kind of hard to do. ((Because everybody around here has theirs in a similar shape to Melee or Brawl/4's, kind of making it a priority it seems...))

View attachment 70193

((Once again, Yellow are SUGGESTIONS for DLC characters... Really, It would be up to Nintendo themselves or so.))

Also, Again: If I bring back Melee Mario with stats of Project M, what's the point of giving Doc as his own slot worth?
-Still don't understand Lana over more deserving Zelda characters
-Ivysaur and Piplup are really random. Ivysaur especially without Squirtle
-I don't see Jill or Slime fighting. Slime doesn't have limbs or anything, and Jill is a drill and a head
-Dr. Mario and Dark Pit shouldn't be costumes
-What the bloody blue beldum is a Giana?

Last edited:

Mario123311

Smash Ace
Well, I guess I won't be perfectly catering to everyone here anytime soon I guess... May as well re-do it again and whatnot, as well as give it a thread of it's own as there is more than just the roster I would like to change/add.

Here's a little history lesson for you. ((It has something to do with a relationship with Nintendo... Plus it would be amusing to see her finally against her "inspiration".))

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
-Still don't understand Lana over more deserving Zelda characters
-Ivysaur and Piplup are really random. Ivysaur especially without Squirtle
-I don't see Jill or Slime fighting. Slime doesn't have limbs or anything, and Jill is a drill and a head
-Dr. Mario and Dark Pit shouldn't be costumes
-Lana's fine for those who like Hyrule Warriors. I see no issue.

-Ivysaur's not really random. It's a vet, and the only grass-type Pokemon. While not my preference I think it's a perfectly fine choice, even when based on the unwritten rules that keep getting thrown around. Piplup is random, but as the OP mentioned before, it's their personal choice. No need to question it.

-A drill based fighter has a lot of potential, surface slightly scratched by Boswer Jr. I could see it working. Don't know anything about Slime though, so I won't comment on it.

-All a matter of opinion, which this is clearly supposed to be about. Mine is: yeah they should.

-This was answered on the last page. Giana apparently comes from some Mario ripoff called "The Great Giana Sisters".

Last edited:

Mario123311

Smash Ace
[[Never mind, my thread just got LOCKED by someone who thought I was "speculating SSB5" when really, I wasn't.]] Giana is an Idea I had mainly because she has some sort of history with Mario... And has since become a rather critically acclaimed game style of it's own. ((Look at Twisted Dreams)) and whatnot. But anyways... Carry on.

Last edited:

Doctor3AM

Smash Apprentice
The above roster is wayyyyyyyyyyyyy too minimalistic. That's almost as much as Sm4sh's roster. Plus, there are no retro characters, or the necessary WTF character. You can add at least 6 more characters.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
The above roster is wayyyyyyyyyyyyy too minimalistic. That's almost as much as Sm4sh's roster. Plus, there are no retro characters, or the necessary WTF character. You can add at least 6 more characters.
From OP.
My Final roster, add something, cut something, total 59 characters.
So add something.

Doctor3AM

Smash Apprentice
Oh, that message registered in my mind wrong, anyways.
1# Ganon
2# Waddle Dee
3# Excitebiker
4# Monita/Nintendouji/Mini Kangaroo/Other WTF character
5# Azura
6# Chibi-Robo/Isabelle
7# Shovel Knight

Cut
1# Mii Fighters (bleh)

Also, if Slime can play basketball in Mario Sports Mix, he can be a Smash character.

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
I'll take a crack at it. Underlined characters are hidden characters. Their method it unlocking them will be placed in a separate spoiler bin.

*Disclaimer*: This roster is the one that I would build, not the one that is "likely". When saying that something is more "likely" than another, there will be bias. So, I am avoiding that "excuse".

Anyways, I'll divide the roster into vets and newcomers.

Super Smash Bros 64:
  • Mario
  • Donkey Kong
  • Link
  • Samus (definitely buff her a bit).
  • Yoshi
  • Kirby
  • Fox
  • Pikachu
  • Luigi
  • Captain Falcon
  • Ness
  • Jigglypuff
Basically, unchanged. This makes 12 characters from Smash 64 with 4 being hidden.

Melee:
  • Peach
  • Bowser
  • Zelda (buff a bit, but don't make her absurd or super campy)
  • Sheik (nerf a tad, but not to Brawl levels.)
  • Ganondorf (give back his Wizard's Foot Jump Refresh. Essentially, make it be Melee Ganondorf in stats (ESPECIALLY in speed. Man, I missed his somewhat decent speed in Melee) and nice techniques but with Smash 4 Ganondorf's moveset (maybe make his Up Tilt more useful) and customs and I'll be a happy man. Flame Choke is superior to Gerudo Dragon and Smash 4 Ganondorf is not as much of a Falcon clone animation wise.)
  • Falco (buff him a bit, but he's not TOO bad)
  • Marth (buff him a bit, but make it sensible)
  • Mr. Game & Watch
  • Mewtwo (give him some Carbos and a Cheeseburger)
  • Roy (I'm pleased with how SSB4 treated him)
  • Dr. Mario (buff him a bit. Make him slower than Mario like it was originally intended, but make it so he's not bad)
  • Ice Climbers (they return, but they lack the infinite combos [i.e. Wobbling, endless chain grabs, etc.].)
Basically, unchanged except for adding the Ice Climbers. That puts us at 12 from Melee with 6 hidden.

Brawl:
  • Diddy Kong (make him less annoying overall. Hoo-hah is gone for the most part, but he is still annoying to fight IMHO.)
  • Wario (change his Dash Attack to his Shoulder Bash, his DAIR to the Ground Pound, Forward Throw to that Charging Throw from World, Up Throw to the Pile Driver from World, Down Throw to the Shaking from Shake It!!, and Down Smash to that Ground Punch from Shake It!! Specials are fine IMHO. Also, gets 8 more costumes.)
  • Toon Link
  • Pit
  • Zero Suit Samus
  • R.O.B.
  • Olimar (given more costumes due to Alph)
  • Meta Knight (maybe buff him a BIT. The patches basically are getting it right though.)
  • King Dedede
  • Charizard (buffed a bit more)
  • Lucario (Aura Mechanic nerfed a bit, but make his attacks at 0% do more damage. Basically, make him less extreme.)
  • Ike (16 costumes where 8 are from PoR design and 8 are from RD design. Blue flames stay.)
  • Lucas (he's different enough to warrant an inclusion IMHO.)
  • Sonic (make him less of a camper.)
  • Wolf (he returns.)
15 Characters from Brawl with 7 being hidden. The only difference from Smash 4 is the fact that Wolf is back.

Smash 4:
  • Bowser Jr.
  • Duck Hunt
  • Greninja
  • Little Mac (dunno how to fix him while keeping his whole "better on the ground than in the air" playstyle.)
  • Mega Man (buff his offense so his KO ability is a bit better while not making him campy as a result).
  • Mii Fighters (add new styles)
  • Pac-Man
  • Palutena
  • Robin (up costume limit to 16 so there are 8 male colors and 8 female colors.)
  • Rosalina & Luma (nerf a bit)
  • Ryu
  • Shulk (needs better frame data overall.)
  • Villager (16 costumes so there are 8 and 8.)
  • Wii Fit Trainer (buff her/him and give 16 costumes so there are 8 & 8.)
14 Characters from SSB4 with 9 being hidden. I will explain the lack of Lucina and Dark Pit in a bit.

So, we would have 53 character in total with 26 of them being hidden.
  • Pichu hasn't been in since Melee. I really don't see the purpose of adding him in.
  • Young Link pretty much got reskinned and revamped into Toon Link during the Melee to Brawl transition. TL covers the whole "quicker but smaller and weaker Link" trope that we have in play now.
  • Snake would return, but there is a 5 3rd party character limit in play and I already have another candidate for the slot. I really do want him to return though. He was fun in Brawl.
  • We have a lot of Pokémon already, so I'm not adding Squirtle and Ivysaur. Otherwise, we'll have 8 Pokémon.
  • Lucina becomes costumes 9-16 for Marth. They share a lot of animations, so I'm making her an alt. Her taunts and victory screens are unchanged though.
  • Same with Dark Pit (have him be costumes 9-16 for Pit but have different taunts and the like). I don't know how the Final Smash would work though as Dark Pit never used the Sacred Treasures. Maybe change Pit's Final Smash again (even though I do like it)?
  1. Ray (Custom Robo series): The series had 5 great games from 1999 to 2007. I really feel that Custom Robo should at least get a playable character in Smash Bros. Custom Robo was (and still is) an amazing series that deserves a playable character in Smash someday (he has an AT in Brawl that got removed). It was big in Japan and had a decent competitive following back when the games were out. Heck, the recent release of LBX in the West showed how many supporters of Custom Robo still exist (due to them comparing LBX to CR ALL the time). Plus, he would be a projectile combo fighter that would be the master of range control. Most combo fighters are mainly physical while most projectile reliant characters are defensive. Ray would break the trend by being a Rushdown Juggler that relies on Projectiles and Stage control. Also, all of the Ray models would be alt costumes.
  2. Sylux (Metroid Prime Hunters): The Metroid series has only 2 fighters. Both of them are Samus. So, I think that the next character should be Sylux. It [Sylux] would be an aggressive fighter that spares no survivors in battle. Plus, Sylux is an enemy of Samus and the Galactic Federation, so adding it (we don't know Sylux's gender yet) would add another villain to the fray.
  3. Dark Matter (Kirby series): I think Kirby should have a 4th rep. While there is a decently sized support for Bandana Dee / Waddle Dee, I personally hope for one of the big bads of the series. Plus, Dark Matter could shapeshift into different forms during attacks and can possess enemy fighters to land clean hits. Overall, he would be a great villain to add and a great Kirby character to play as.
  4. Aeron (Pandora's Tower): I LOVED playing this game when it came out. Like Xenoblade, Pandora's Tower was one of the Operation Rainfall games that came overseas (somehow). It had Areon have to traverse through the 12 towers to save his beloved Elena from transforming into a beast. During his journey, he had access to the Athosian Sword, the Military Scythe, the Explosive Stake, and the Twinblades. However, his most iconic weapon and tool was the Oraclos Chain. It allowed him to grapple onto ledges, yank items and foes, bind foes to each other, and so on. This would translate well in a fighting game like Smash Bros. He could borrow some elements from MvC3's Spencer, who originated from the Bionic Commando series.
  5. T-Rex Vivosaur (Fossil Fighters): I'm not joking about this at all. Having the T-Rex Vivosaur as a playable fighter would be a VERY interesting choice. She (yes, she) would be a heavyweight character that focuses on enhancing her special moves through Fossil Points. Fossil Points would be gained over time slowly as well as through landing non-special moves. Once she obtained enough points, the T-Rex Vivosaur could enhance her neutral b move to add healing and combo throws, her side special to either breathe continuous flames or a concentrated fireball, or her down special to change formations (similar to Monado Arts). Overall, she would be the most technical heavyweight character in the game. Plus, Fossil Fighters has 3 games and its last game was released this year.
  6. Ganon (Zelda series): If we can have 2 Links and 2 versions of Zelda (Sheik is Zelda), we can have 2 Ganons. This Ganon would be the pig from the classic games, which would allow for him to finally be accurate while preventing current Ganondorf players like myself from being alienated. Ganon would have access to Magic and his Trusty Trident of Power. Overall, Ganon would be a great addition to the roster and would be the perfect 6th Zelda character (7th if you count Young Link, but he's not on my roster).
  7. Star Man (Pro Wrestling): We lack a wrestling character. We really should add a character that focuses on wrestling. I love watching wrestling (both stuff like WCW and WWE and the traditional competitive wrestling), so Star Man would be a fun character for me to play as. Plus, he'd be the totally unexpected Retro Character of this game.
  8. Simon Belmont (Konami's Castlevania series): He would be the perfect fit on the roster. He is really important in gaming history due to how his games influenced Action Platforming and the inclusion of Horror Monsters in gaming. It is one of the most recognizable series in the world of gaming. It's a shame how Konami is treating the series though. They're making a Pachislot machine instead of a new videogame. Maybe adding classic Simon Belmont in Smash would help bring back the love and proper treatment of the series. Plus, Captain N reunion.
  9. Takamaru (Mysterious Murasame Castle): We should have the 1986 quartet be together again as a fighting foursome. Plus, katanas and shurikens. You could do a lot with him. He would also be a good character to cater towards the East.
  10. Isaac (Golden Sun): I'm not the biggest Golden Sun fan despite having all 3 of the games, but why not add him if you got some slots leftover? We don't have an earth user in the roster, so he would be SOMEWHAT different from most other swordsmen. He also was an AT in Brawl (like Ray).
  11. King K. Rool (DK series): Eh, the DK series needs another rep that isn't a monkey and we need some more villains. He fits both, so I added him. Otherwise, meh.
  12. Chibi Robo (Chibi Robo series): He has 5 games and still has some made to this day, so he would be a decent character to add. I don't have much of a connection with him though. He is better than some of the other choices that I see at times. Plus, I do like robots.
  13. Elite Beat Agents / Ouendan Cheer Squad (EBA/Ouendan series): I really love this series due to its quirkiness. Plus, imagine fighting as a cheer squad leader. There would be 8 costumes for the EBA and 8 for the Ouendan Cheer Squad. They could be the WFT character of this game.
  14. Andy or Sami or Infantry (Wars series): This series needs a character. I GUESS Andy or Sami would be a good to rep this series. However, an Infantry Unit could also work due to them appearing in ALL of the games. They could use Snake's moveset and then modify it a bit to fit the Wars series.
  15. Ayumi Tachibana (Famicom Detective Club): Fun set of retro detective games. Wouldn't mind this character if she is unique (like that confidence based moveset I read).
  16. Mike Jones (Startropics series): Would be a good retro character to add that also would show off western appeal.
  17. Saki (Sin & Punishment series): Would be a fun character to play as. His games are fun as well.
  • Luigi: Clear Classic Mode with no Continues.
  • Captain Falcon: Beat Classic Mode within 12 minutes while difficulty is set to at least 5.0/Normal.
  • Ness: Reflect 10 Projectile Attacks.
  • Jigglypuff: Beat Classic Mode.
  • Ganondorf: Beat "Battle of 3 Kings" Event Match. You fight as Bowser in this Event Match.
  • Falco: Beat 100 Man Smash.
  • Mr. Game & Watch: Beat Target Test with the starter characters.
  • Mewtwo: Play 20 Hours across all players (same as Melee).
  • Roy: Beat Classic Mode on Hard/7.0 with any other Fire Emblem character. No Continues allowed.
  • Dr. Mario: Beat "The Doctor is in the House" Event Match. You fight as Mario in this Event Match.
  • Wario: Collect at least 11,952 coins.
  • Toon Link: Beat Classic Mode as Link without using any continues. Difficulty must be at least Normal/5.0.
  • R.O.B.: Collect 300 trophies.
  • Meta Knight: Beat 15 Minute Smash playing as Kirby or King Dedede.
  • Lucario: Win a match while at 200% or higher.
  • Sonic: Beat the preset high score in "Break the Targets" on 15 different courses.
  • Wolf: Beat "Boss Battles" as Fox or Falco. Boss Battles is unlocked after beating Adventure Mode.
  • Bowser Jr.: Beat Classic Mode with Bowser.
  • Duck Hunt: Get 2 KOs in Cruel Smash.
  • Greninja: Beat Classic Mode as Pikachu and Charizard.
  • Mega Man: Beat "Board the Platforms" with all starter characters.
  • Mii Fighter: Create one.
  • Pac-Man: Eat at least 15 pieces of food in one match.
  • Robin: Beat "Might vs. Magic" Event Match. You play as Ike in this Event Match.
  • Ryu: Win a VS. Match without taking damage. You must also perfect shield at least 3 attacks.
  • Wii Fit Trainer: Practice in the Training Room for at least 15 minutes in one session.
  • Ray: Collect 50 Custom Moves. This isn't as bad as it was in Smash 4 due to Custom Moves behaving like CDs (duplicates don't exist anymore).
  • Sylux: Beat "Prime Hunters" Event Match. You are playing as Samus in this Event Match.
  • Dark Matter: Clear Classic Mode on 9.0/Intense without using a Continue.
  • Ganon: Beat 15 Minute Melee as Ganondorf. Also, KO at least 300 enemies.
  • Star Man: Perform 25 Throws in one VS. Match.
  • Simon Belmont: Beat Boss Battles with the starting cast.
  • King K. Rool: Beat Boss Battles with DK or Diddy.
  • EBA/Ouendan: Collect 50 CDs.
  • Mike Jones: Hit Sand Bag over 2000ft during the Home Run Contest.
  • Saki: KO 20 enemies in a row without taking damage in Adventure mode.
This puts me at 70 characters.

Last edited:

BubblegumRebel

Smash Rookie
I feel like making a roster, but idk if I want to follow the OP's rules, or if I want to be incredibly extra and post a dream roster with like nearly 100+ characters lmao. I could do both, but arranging it in PhotoShop might be a hassle. hmm...​

Mario123311

Smash Ace
You could do that, I actually made a "fangame" roster a while back with impossible characters in reality but would be perfectly acceptable in a fan creation. There's also a roster maker you can find around here to get started.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I feel like making a roster, but idk if I want to follow the OP's rules, or if I want to be incredibly extra and post a dream roster with like nearly 100+ characters lmao. I could do both, but arranging it in PhotoShop might be a hassle. hmm...​
This is the program that many people in this thread had used for their rosters. Unless you are an expert at Photoshop, using this program would be an easy alternative. All you have to do is reading the link of this thread to get an idea of how it works or what it looks like. But as a fair warning, you might want to add extra icons in your "images folder" since several characters like Corrin or those who are Smashified aren't included in the default program.

http://smashboards.com/threads/the-super-smash-bros-roster-maker-version-9-1-available.336761/

LuffyLink

Smash Apprentice
My Roster would look like this:

In case you don't know, the red frame around some character means that you need to unlock them.

Notes about some veteran:
Ganondorf and Young Link would have an entirely new moveset
Dark Pit would be a semi clone of Pit.
Samus, Charizard and some character would be buffed
All of Samus' suits would be available as alternate costumes
Lucina would be a faster but less powerful Marth with some new moves to make her more different
Falco and Wolf would have a new Final Smash (The Wolfen for Wolf and an Arwing for Falco)
Zelda would be buffed and able to use her sword
Ice Climbers would be nerfed a bit.
Et voilà!

Mario123311

Smash Ace
Was just wondering. I didn't believe that anyone could call a roster likely if it cut one of the original 12.
Kind of why I ultimentaly decided NOT to remove Jigglypuff in my Roster... Doesn't mean her rest is not nerfed again, though. ((Mainly because I hate when people spam a move that can simply become just plain annoying.)) Don't worry, The rest of her isn't messed with by any means. Left completely untouched. :p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom