• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If you were in charge of roster picking for an upcoming Smash!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
You should probably look at Rocket Slime. Plus, again: What makes Smash interesting to me is "oddball" characters. Where else do you beat mascots senseless as Mario, Pikachu or Kirby for that matter?
Yeah, but it's pretty clear that they're not going that route with 3rd parties. As @ TheDarkKnightNoivern TheDarkKnightNoivern said, Black Mage is the only one with any real chance, and even then I think it's more than unlikely.

Roaring Salsa

A dragon never yields

I upped the roster to 75 which I don't think is at all unrealistic as by the end of Sm4sh's lifetime it'll have about 60 characters anyway. I added Paper Mario (As his own separate series), Dark Samus, Porky, Black Mage and Knuckles the Echidna.
Henry Fleming? I like your choices and hope Code Name S.T.E.A.M. gets a sequel

Zeth444

Smash Apprentice
C. Flaming? WOW, If You had Shovel Knight this roster would be my Perfect Indie Dream coming true (CN S.T.E.A.M. Is an Indie right? Well, I know I Loved that game.), I just want his side smash to be Sawyers punch-gun rather then Fleming's. But Thats Bias, Mark Twain is one of my favorite writers.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
C. Flaming? WOW, If You had Shovel Knight this roster would be my Perfect Indie Dream coming true (CN S.T.E.A.M. Is an Indie right? Well, I know I Loved that game.), I just want his side smash to be Sawyers punch-gun rather then Fleming's. But Thats Bias, Mark Twain is one of my favorite writers.
It's not indie, it was made by intelligent systems and published by nintendo

Doctor3AM

Smash Apprentice
I change my roster way to often, this has a lot of weird choices.

Cuts? None
Returning Veterans? Ice Climbers, Wolf, Snake
Newcomers? K.Rool, Tetra, Ridley, Bandana Dee, Venusaur, Plasm Wraith, Elma, Excitebiker, Mini Kangaroo, Inkling, Savvy Stylist, Chorus Men, Matthew, Slime, Crash Bandicoot
Honorable Mentions? Krystal, Samurai Goroh, Star Man (maybe free DLC)
This is a legitimate roster, no bias.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I change my roster way to often, this has a lot of weird choices.

Cuts? None
Returning Veterans? Ice Climbers, Wolf, Snake
Newcomers? K.Rool, Tetra, Ridley, Bandana Dee, Venusaur, Plasm Wraith, Elma, Excitebiker, Mini Kangaroo, Inkling, Savvy Stylist, Chorus Men, Matthew, Slime, Crash Bandicoot
Honorable Mentions? Krystal, Samurai Goroh, Star Man (maybe free DLC)
This is a legitimate roster, no bias.
Glad to see the Mini Kangaroo love is starting to spread.

Doctor3AM

Smash Apprentice
I actually found a Nintendo Mini Game in my garage minutes ago.... WTF
Anyway
I'll explain Venusaur and Crash.

Venusaur
-Pokemon Red & Green, we have Charizard and now we need Venusaur.
-Grass starter
-Is very iconic
-Becomes a complete Stone Wall tank character.
-To compensate, Charizard becomes lighter and more agile.

Crash
-The third rival of the gaming industry in the 90s (could argue that in the late 90's, he was the main rival of Mario)
-Very iconic
-Great moveset potential
-Possibly represents Nintendo's betrayal to Sony when developing the Nintendo Playstation
-Mario vs Sonic vs Crash

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Crash
-The third rival of the gaming industry in the 90s (could argue that in the late 90's, he was the main rival of Mario)
-Very iconic
-Great moveset potential
-Possibly represents Nintendo's betrayal to Sony when developing the Nintendo Playstation
-Mario vs Sonic vs Crash

Glad to see the love for Crash Bandicoot is spreading here boys and girls!

Doctor3AM

Smash Apprentice
This is a contest apparently. I've been thinking about changing Savvy Stylist back to Nintendog. But IDK, I think they would both be really cool characters.

This is a contest apparently. I've been thinking about changing Savvy Stylist back to Nintendog. But IDK, I think they would both be really cool characters.
PETA wouldn't probably like if you could beat a realistic puppy in Smash (this could actually be a problem)... and I don't think that Nintendog has enough moveset potential (I could be wrong).

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
PETA wouldn't probably like if you could beat a realistic puppy in Smash (this could actually be a problem)... and I don't think that Nintendog has enough moveset potential (I could be wrong).
Let's not forget the possibilities of them making a gory parody to insult that game like they did with Super Mario 3D Land and Pokemon Black and White. :troll:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
PETA would start a controversy, but it doesn't matter because they're the fakest company I've ever seen before. Not to long ago they euthanized like 90% of the animals they took under there care. I have no respect for anything that **** "animal-rights" group has to say on any matter let alone video game characters. If it were the ASPCA I might listen, but **** PETA.

Nintendog's a terrible choice for a character for so many other reasons, what PETA thinks should be low on the list of people's concerns for adding a character like that.

PETA would start a controversy, but it doesn't matter because they're the fakest company I've ever seen before. Not to long ago they euthanized like 90% of the animals they took under there care. I have no respect for anything that **** "animal-rights" group has to say on any matter let alone video game characters. If it were the ASPCA I might listen, but **** PETA.

Nintendog's a terrible choice for a character for so many other reasons, what PETA thinks should be low on the list of people's concerns for adding a character like that.
Yes, I know that PETA shouldn't be taken seriously, but I feel that being a realistic puppy is still an obstacle against Nintendog (and I agree that Nintendog is a terrible idea).

Last edited:

Doctor3AM

Smash Apprentice
I think a way around that is to make you attack the dog's trainer, while the dog does the attacking.

Savvy Stylist does better represent the feminine side of Nintendo, however.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I guess I'm the only one who hates the Style Saavy idea still. I just don't see the point, there are plenty of better female and obscure characters to put in. I think I'd only even consider the idea during the 150 slotted roster of Smash IX.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I'm the only one in the camp who thinks that Kid Icarus will have no new character in the future. Bias or not, Kid Icarus would most likely be dead for a while since Sakurai hates sequels so dearly if his expeience with Kirby is anything to go by. Not to mention seeing more of those clowns after receiving Dark Pit would be enough to piss off the fandom.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I'm the only one in the camp who thinks that Kid Icarus will have no new character in the future. Bias or not, Kid Icarus would most likely be dead for a while since Sakurai hates sequels so dearly if his expeience with Kirby is anything to go by. Not to mention seeing more of those clowns after receiving Dark Pit would be enough to piss off the fandom.
I don't know. I think Sakurai might actually have some interest in continuing the series going by some of the Palutena's Guidances. It seems like Viridi's going to try and start a war or something.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Isn't that how Duck Hunt Dog got in the game and no backlash from PETA? Idk I just find it a bit ironic

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
If there'd be no more DLC fighters for Smash 4, and if I were in charge of roster picking for, let's say, Sm5sh for the upcoming NX console...

:4gaw::4mario::4luigi::4peach::4bowser::rosalina::4bowserjr::4dk::4diddy::GCA::GCB::4littlemac::GCX::4duckhunt::popo::4rob:
:4link::4zelda::4sheik::4ganondorf::4tlink::4samus::4zss::4pit::4palutena::4ness::4marth::4feroy::GCY::4drmario::4yoshi::4falcon:
:4kirby::4dedede::4metaknight::GCLT::4wario::GCRT::4fox::4falco::wolf::4pikachu::4jigglypuff::4mewtwo::4charizard::4lucario::GCZ::251:
:4villager::GCDpad::4olimar::4wiifit::GCStart::4shulk::GCN::GCCN::4pacman::snake::4ryu::4megaman::4sonic::substitute::4mii::?:

:GCA:= King K. Rool
:GCB:= Dixie Kong
:GCX:= Super Macho Man
:GCY:= Corrin (from Fire Emblem Fates)
:GCLT:= Bandana Dee
:GCRT:= 9-Volt
:GCZ:= 7th Generation Pokemon
:GCDpad:= Isaac
:GCStart:= Rhythm Heaven
:GCN:= Elma (from Xenoblade Chronicles X)
:GCCN:= Inkling
:substitute:= Rayman

Dr. Mario now has his own specific Dr. Mario universe.
The roster is organized in order of universes the fighters represent except of course the 3rd party ones and the Miis.

Here's a list of unlockables in order of how many Smash battles you do (I've no idea on what the modes would be like)

10 Battles: Dr. Mario
30 Battles: Toon Link
60 Battles: Corrin
100 Battles: Villager
150 Battles: Bandana Dee
210 Battles: R.O.B.
280 Battles: Palutena
360 Battles: Rosalina & Luma
450 Battles: Elma
550 Battles: Dixie Kong
660 Battles: 9-Volt
780 Battles: Wolf
910 Battles: Super Macho Man
1050 Battles: Celebi
1200 Battles: Rhythm Heaven

The All-Star Mode would for the 3rd time not be available until all fighters are unlocked. Here's my order:

ROUND 1: ORIGINAL EIGHT
:4mario::4dk::4link::4samus::4yoshi::4kirby::4fox::4pikachu:
ROUND 2: EARLY NEWCOMERS
:4luigi::4jigglypuff::4falcon::4ness::4peach::4bowser::4zelda::4sheik:
ROUND 3: NEW FACES
:4drmario::4ganondorf::4falco::4mewtwo::popo::4marth::4feroy::4gaw:
ROUND 4: SIDESHOW BRAWLERS
:4diddy::4tlink::4zss::4dedede::4metaknight::wolf::4charizard::4lucario:
ROUND 5: MORE REPRESENTATIVES
:4pit::4wario::4olimar::4rob::4villager::4wiifit::4littlemac::4shulk:
ROUND 6: FORTHCOMING SMASHERS
:rosalina::4bowserjr::4palutena::4duckhunt::GCA::GCZ::GCDpad::GCCN:
ROUND 7: NEWCOMING UNLOCKABLES
:GCB::GCLT::251::GCY::GCRT::GCX::GCN::GCStart:
ROUND 8: ANYTHING GOES
:4pacman::snake::4ryu::4megaman::4sonic::substitute::4mii::?:

:?:= The same character you're playing as

There would be continues and 3 Heart containers

Also for Event All-Stars:

All-Star 12 Event:
Fight against all 12 of the N64 veterans at once!
:4mario::4luigi::4dk::4link::4samus::4yoshi::4kirby::4fox::4pikachu::4jigglypuff::4falcon::4ness:

All-Star 24 Event:
The fighters of Melee join forces!
:4mario::4luigi::4dk::4link::4samus::4yoshi::4kirby::4fox::4pikachu::4jigglypuff::4falcon::4ness:
:4peach::4bowser::4drmario::4zelda::4sheik::4ganondorf::4falco::4mewtwo::popo::4marth::4feroy::4gaw:

All-Star 36 Event:
It's a Brawl against the fighters who fought in the Subspace Emissary!
:4peach::4bowser::4zelda::4sheik::4ganondorf::4falco::popo::4marth::4gaw::4diddy::4tlink::4zss:
:4dedede::4metaknight::wolf::4charizard::4lucario::4pit::4wario::4olimar::4rob::snake::4sonic::?:

All-Star 48 Event:
Test your skills as you challenge against the fighters of the 4th series!
:4peach::4bowser::4drmario::4zelda::4sheik::4ganondorf::4falco::4mewtwo::4marth::4feroy::4gaw::4diddy:
:4tlink::4zss::4dedede::4metaknight::4charizard::4lucario::4pit::4wario::4olimar::4rob::rosalina::4bowserjr:
:4palutena::4villager::4wiifit::4littlemac::4shulk::4duckhunt::4pacman::4ryu::4megaman::4sonic::4mii::?:

All-Star 64 Event:
This is the ultimate battle, one vs. the 64 fighters of this Smash!
:4peach::4bowser::4drmario::4zelda::4sheik::4ganondorf::4falco::4mewtwo::popo::4marth::4feroy::4gaw:
:4diddy::4tlink::4zss::4dedede::4metaknight::wolf::4charizard::4lucario::4pit::4wario::4olimar::4rob:
:rosalina::4bowserjr::4palutena::4villager::4wiifit::4littlemac::4shulk::4duckhunt::GCA::GCB::GCLT::GCZ:
:251::GCY::GCRT::GCX::GCN::GCDpad::GCStart::GCCN::4pacman::snake::4ryu::4megaman:
:4sonic::substitute::4mii::?:

:?:= A larger version of the character you'd play as.

These All-Star matches play like the Multi-Man smashes.

Of course, not only do we have the tradition of having the original 12 playable in every game, there's also the tradition of having both highly-requested newcomers to weirdly chosen ones.

What do you think of that?

Last edited:

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
@ 3D Dillon 3D Dillon for a second there, before I seen which buttons meant which character "Oh boy! Playing as A Button is going to be rad!"

Then I realized A Button would still be rad because A Button means K. Rool.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
@ 3D Dillon 3D Dillon The button configuration was done so well with your roster. Something about Rhythm Heaven being the Start Button makes me feel funny for some reason.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
@ 3D Dillon 3D Dillon The button configuration was done so well with your roster. Something about Rhythm Heaven being the Start Button makes me feel funny for some reason.
Now that I think about it, Chorus Man's head looks like the start button. Put three start buttons together and draw some faces on them, boom, Chorus Men stock icon.

This is actually a revised version of a roster I posted elsewhere on the forum, so to full understand it you'd have to know the other gameplay changes I've added (which I can explain), but here it is:

View attachment 68722

71 Characters Total, Mii Fighters included.
The bottom row is alternate costumes for Bowser, Bowser Jr., Toad, Wario, Link, Impa, Pit, Little Mac, Olimar, and Isaac respectively.

Here's a list of changes I've made to the returning characters (warning: there are many!)
Luigi - He now carries the Poltergust 3000 vacuum on his back and uses it in some of his attacks. His Final Smash is changed, now manually sucking in enemies and using the Strobulb to shock them.

Rosalina - Mostly unchanged, but Rosalina can now be selected by herself (no Luma). In this form Luma only follows Rosalina and doesn't fight, but can still be launched with her Neutral Special.

Wario - Some of his standard moves have been changed to reflect Wario Land, like his dash attack and forward Smash.

The Legend of Zelda Characters - They have all been redesigned to represent incarnations from every game in the series, rather than a specific game. They also all have large changes to their movesets.
  • Link is a combination of Adult and Toon Link, being faster and weaker. His actual moveset is mostly unchanged. Dark Link now has a unique design and voice from Link, and is an alternate costume.

• Zelda uses a Light Rapier to cover (very strong) weaknesses in her neutral moveset.

• Ganondorf uses a trident, and he uses it to replace every move he shared with Captain Falcon. He is basically a semi-clone of himself. His Final Smash turns him into Pig Ganon instead of the Dark Beast, which acts as a new form rather than just a move.

• Sheik is mostly the same but has a new Final Smash and she shares her slot with Impa.
Samus - Moveset-vise she is mostly the same, but her ground speed is considerably faster, but she is still floaty.

Pit - Pit uses the same moves but has a new Final Smash - Daybreak - and shares a slot with Dark Pit.

Palutena - There's no customs so Palutena has new custom moves to best suit her playstyle.

Little Mac - Still very strong on the ground and weak in the air, but has a significantly better recovery.

Pikmin & Olimar - Like in Brawl, he once again has the ability to summon six Pikmin at a time. The order is the same as Smash 4, however. He still shares a slot with Alph, but they have an appropriate amount of costumes and Alph uses his own ship in his Final Smash.

Mewtwo - He is significantly heavier than in previous games, but still very floaty. The names of his side and down specials have been switched.

Lucario - Aura mechanic is more balanced - Lucario starts off stronger and gains power at a slower rate. If Aura still isn't your thing, you can now play without it, with more balanced power and speed.

Marth - significantly faster from Smash 4, more like Melee and Brawl. His design is changed to look like his official art from New Mystery of the Emblem.

Robin - Also significantly faster than before. Male and female versions now have 8 costumes each, and you can play with weaker (but unbreakable) equipment.

Lucina - Almost completely changed from Marth. Mostly different normal attacks, completely unique special moves based on skills from Fire Emblem: Awakening, and is redesigned to look more like a Great Lord. She throws shield-breaking javelins for her neutral special and her Final Smash is Astra.

- Everyone else has no significant changes.
Not bad at all. Bias points from me due to K. Rool and Ridley's inclusion, so <3. I'm glad Lucina as a Great Lord is catching on to more people, though I like that idea primarily because she gains a shield, which would set her apart from Marth quite a bit, even like a fusion of Link and Marth without Links' gadgets.

It seems as though Lucina stays and get some changes, but it seems like Dr. Mario is unchanged? I like the idea of him getting a Luigification and putting more emphasis on his Dr. Mario universe, even so far as getting a Pill icon and being separate from the Mario series characters entirely. Dark Pit goes to alt status, which is fine. I see Toon Link cut from this roster and Impa and Midna+Wolf Link added. I'm perfectly fine with this. I love the idea of Midna+Wolf Link as a mount and Impa as a character, and apologies to fans of :4tlink: but it is really a pet peeve of mine seeing characters on the roster twice, which includes: :4zss::4sheik: and :4drmario:. If any or all of these 4 were cut I'd actually be quite happy. I'd rather see :4zelda: and :4samus: not suck than have other versions of their characters be the high tier combo cheese that they are. :4drmario: was a questionable decision then and he still is now, in my eyes. He'd make a great AT.

Yes, I realize Wolf Link being used as a mount for Midna is technically having 2 Links, but I'm willing to deal with it as the Wolf Link is secondary to Midna. And it's not just an itty bitty sized clone.

Last edited:

ThePuffDaddy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
flashman69
I haven't seen anyone cut Jiggs on their roster yet, so no one needs to die.

P.S. add Wigglytuff Sakurai

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
So...any thoughts on my roster? Is it good? Is it bad?
I like some things about yours. Probably one of my favorites. I'll give it a shot, but just so you know I'm really picky so don't take anything personal.

Pros
-Glad you agree with me on the Ganondorf move set
-Link combo is solid
-Zelda characters (would rather have Midna no Wolf but hey)
-Like the Luigi changes (probably the only other person who wants Luigi to adopt the Poltergust)
-K.Rool, Dixie, Ridley, Isaac, Impa, Midna, Sami, Takamaru, Impa, Midna, Chibi-Robo, Inkling and Rayman additions are great
-Brought back the IC's and Wolf
-Bringing Marth back to his former glory
-Lucina changes seem promising

Cons (remember my personal opinion)
- Style Saavy, Karate Joe, Paper Mario additions
- You kept ZSS, Dr. Mario, Robin, Ryu, Snake, WFT, and Mii
-You kept the character alt option (Impa to Sheik, Olimar to Alph, etc...)
-You didn't change Bowser Jr.
- I'd rather have Zelda adopt most of Sheik's kit. That way, it will 1) Make Zelda good and 2) Make sense to have Sheik be a costume swap
-I don't like the ability to turn off certain abilities (Luma, Aura). To me, you either have them or you don't.

Overall, I wouldn't mind this one. Probably better than the current roster.

ThePuffDaddy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
flashman69
You generally aren't going to find anyone with the gall to cut one of the Original 12. Not unless they REALLY dislike that character.
There is nothing to dislike about Jigglypuff, only those that are too intimidated by her. So if ANYONE reading this hates Jiggly please rise up and confess to your sin

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I haven't seen anyone cut Jiggs on their roster yet, so no one needs to die.

P.S. add Wigglytuff Sakurai
The thing was she nearly got cut in Brawl. So it's safe to say she isn't going anywhere anytime soon. As much as I don't like her still being around, she deserves her spot regardless of my opinion and can be deadly fun to play as. Rest is so deadly, I love it

-You didn't change Bowser Jr.
Why Bowser Jr. needs to be changed? I think he is much more interesting using the Koopa Clown Car than the paintbrush. To be honest I wouldn't probably have cared about Jr. at all if he had the paintbrush-based moveset.

So...any thoughts on my roster? Is it good? Is it bad?
I think it's fairly decent roster. Two of my Top 3 character are in your roster, as well as Dry Bowser alt. The only choice in your roster that I'm not a fan of is Style Savvy, but others are fine imo.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Why Bowser Jr. needs to be changed? I think he is much more interesting using the Koopa Clown Car than the paintbrush. To be honest I wouldn't probably have cared about Jr. at all if he had the paintbrush-based moveset.
I disagree. The paintbrush had a lot of potential, the thing opens up portals ffs!

View attachment 69117
Have some Assist Trophy ideas to go with my roster. ((I dunno, I was bored.))
No DK Assist Trophy?

I disagree. The paintbrush had a lot of potential, the thing opens up portals ffs!
Different opinions, I guess. However, I doubt they'd revamp his moveset completely, as he is not a clone (Pit was an exception because Uprising gave him many new weapons).

Last edited:

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Honestly I can hardly remember Brawl Pit. I also dislike the fact that Pit is so tall. He feels unnaturally tall for his proportions, being as tall or taller than Palutena who has different proportions than him.

I think I'd much rather have Brawl Pit back with his voices from Smash 4. Minus Gliding, of course, as much as I miss that mechanic (I suppose Flare Blitz is meant to compensate the horizontal recovery for Charizard, but still, he was given only two jumps because he could also glide, he still only has two jumps yet can't glide anymore)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom