• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If you want to learn how to ledge tech come here

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
Okay, the other day I was messing around with break the targets and I noticed that you can learn the timing for ledge teching by f-Bing or Up-bing into the (Left) sides of those electric bumpers and pressing L or R at the right time. (After practicing it I was ledge teching against peach with EVERY character)

After doing it for a while the timing gets stuck in your head and you can basically do it with any character with an up B :)

I'll tell you the timing to make it easier for you guys.

-when doing forward B you should Press R or L a split second before the second *Shing* sound. (the timng is the same for fox)

-When doing Up B you should press L or R right when he starts moving and says "biaaa"( the timing on this is not the same with fox but it wont matter because you'll get the timing by doing it with Falco)

I hope this helps you guys out :)

here is a video done by viper boy in case you don't know what Ledge teching is.

Ledge Tech

doyoung2win

Smash Ace
old vid, bad descriptions of the timing. it is dependent on when you get hit, whether its close to where you start your firebird, or the very end of it.

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
old vid, bad descriptions of the timing. it is dependent on when you get hit, whether its close to where you start your firebird, or the very end of it.

Can you please read my whole post and try to comprehend it before posting?

First off, I said the video was their for those who didnt know what ledge teching is

second, The descriptions of the timing is fine. When doing forw. B press L or R Right before the second *shing*, how does that not make sense?
when doing up B press L or R right as Falco moves and says "biaa", how does this not make sense?

Third, how about you test it out before coming to your conclusions? If you did, you would know that the timing is the same no matter how close to the edge you are, if you are too close to the edge and do fire bird you will grab it, almost any distance longer than that will
work with the timing I gave, same for forw. B

The point of this thread is to give you an alternate means of practicing ledge teching without having a friend help you. The other stuff I gave was to make it easier. If you don't believe me try it yourself and prove me wrong.

tshahi10

Smash Ace
there is no way to learn the exact timing. you always have to find it on the spot.
gettting fsmash onto a wall far away is different from getting fsmashed while hanging onto a ledge.Marth does the fsmashing

ScaryMunky

Smash Journeyman
gettting fsmash onto a wall far away is different from getting fsmashed while hanging onto a ledge.
His post was talking only about ledge teching. He was not explaining the timing for teching against a distant wall after being fsmashed.

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
You do realize that there's no need to be so harsh right?

Sry man, your right, It's just annoying when you put time into something and someone just craps on it with one line and they don't even know what they're talking about

His post was talking only about ledge teching. He was not explaining the timing for teching against a distant wall after being fsmashed.

Yeah, I'm not talking about teching in general, I'm just talking about ledge teching.

Why dont you guys try out this new way to practice ledge teching.

takieddine

Smash Master
ledge teching peach dsmash is easy shiite... just requires pressing L.

decent ones to tech are things like an fsmash and dsmashes (like fox, falco) Requires some DI and L. An easy way to DI this is to use the C-stick to ASDI towards the stage, at mid percentages, you'll find youself teching them with ease(if you get the timing for L down.

hard ones are motion sensor bombs, and falcon punches. Require really good DI(smash DI) and the timing for L.

mathos

Smash Champion
Its not 100% on teching mario's cape, you have to be in that turn around tucked animation. Might as well hit the button though.

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR

decent ones to tech are things like an fsmash and dsmashes (like fox, falco) Requires some DI and L. An easy way to DI this is to use the C-stick to ASDI towards the stage, at mid percentages, you'll find youself teching them with ease(if you get the timing for L down.

hard ones are motion sensor bombs, and falcon punches. Require really good DI(smash DI) and the timing for L.
Your right, but I was just showing how to get the timing down. doing what I said makes it easier

Framerate

Smash Lord
This is honestly the most helpful thread I've ever read in my life. You have just increased my survival rate against c-stick crazy marths (I know like 6) ten-fold. It works what he's saying, try it. Thanks again. (Now where's my $20 bucks you promised me :D)

But seriously, I can say I am a far better player for doing that for like 20 minutes. Thanks again.

DoctaMalik

Smash Rookie

can someone help me out a little, ive never heard of using the C-stick to ASDI. and whats the difference between ASDI and DI

terr13

Smash Journeyman
I think using this method would work for ledge teching in general, but I'm too lazy to practice. Most likely, you press L or R near the first 20 frames when you are close to the edge, and the last 20 frames when you are far away from the ledge, which would mean it would work in most circumstances. Just a guess.

Driz

Smash Apprentice
I just wanted to let people who don't think practicing this will help that even though Im not close to being pro after reading this guide and practicing I could ledge tech over 50% of the time while in game. The timing given is actually pretty accurate and works for me.

Thank you for this thread it has saved me a countless number of times at this point!!!

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
I agree with the side-B timing a little more than i do the up-B timing because the up-B cantake more or less time to get to the edge. The side-B on the other hand is almost the same amount of time wherever u r. Another way to figure out timing is to think about it as u r the one edgeguarding. I was playing with a friend the other day and anytime he used side-B and i would downsmash or shinespike...HE WOULD TECH. He said that he was timing pressing L or R a split second b4 he would have done the edgeguard himself. Your idea would definitely work against peaches but against some1 like marth im not so sure.

Driz

Smash Apprentice
I play against a marth all the time and as long as I get close enough to the edge I'm almost always able to ledgetech at least more then half then time which is good when facing an edgehogging marth

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
What do u mean tech against an edge-hoggin marth. If he is on the edge the only thing he can hit u with that is possible to tech is a dair which if timed correctly is still impossible tot ech because of angle. Maybe if he was on the stage and doing a move, but how can u edgehog and be on the stage at the same time...maybe i misunderstood u.

Framerate

Smash Lord
Yeah, I practiced in the target test for a while and got the timing really well, but when I went to use it in game, I asked my friend to play marth so I could practice a bit. I didn't tech a single side B but i got a couple up B's. I dunno what the problem was, maybe cause i wasn't close enough to the edge?

Glowfisch

Smash Cadet
dos any body know wy u can wal jump on those bumper in target test of falco?.
without having invis...
its so strange :p i noticed this a long time ago

Top Bottom