• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

if you dont use mech hammer.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

really_calm

Smash Journeyman
Ok. Some people think the rocket hammer sucks and some people think its good. Great. Lets get back on topic and quit the bickering before this thread gets closed; this discussion has merit and I'd like to see it continue.

So far, the only situations I've discovered that takes advantage of the rocket hammer are instances where you are falling with your opponent near you. The rocket hammer kind of comes out of no where and no one expects it because it isn't used very much.

Here's a video to demonstrate. Watch at 1:46.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JQMC9GlRSY
that was pretty darn cool

I agree. We should be discussing the move and how awful or great people think it is, not attacking each other.

so jet hammer seems like it can be used in the following situations (in which other moves would not be clearly better):

-punish excess air dodges or spot dodges
-fall in front of a standing opponent (or with a standing opponent)

has anyone tried running then jet hammer? Does it just completely take away your momentum? Can this mess with ppl?

In my opinion, I don't think it's very useful in the beginning while you're invincible for a short time. I also don't understand the merit of fastfalling and reversing it.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
i think the jet hammer is good for edge guarding at times. i mean it is a f smash u can hold at ur discretion. A lot of times when ppl are hanging on the ledge i charge it up and step back a lil. if they jump in the air i either let it go or if i expect the air dodge i wait a bit then let it go. The great part about this move is that you can punish ppl trying 2 get back to the stage who are just going to airdodge ur fair or bair. I dont use it all the time but i feel it is definitely underrated. The fact that you can jump with it and reverse with it as well as hold it is amazing in my eyes. Come down with it, and if someone tries 2 roll behind, turn around and hit them. it really becomes a quick mobile smash attack, so u can bait opponents into it, or just try 2 nail them. I think mind games are great with this move.

really_calm

Smash Journeyman
Whenever Mech Hammer would be good, everything else would be better.
We've all heard this argument. If you're going to make it, can you at least respond to the argument and situations for mech hammer?

If you don't, then it's gonna be a yes-it-is-no-it's-not discussion, which isn't helpful at all.

showmeyagoose

Smash Cadet
its not possible to argue over this, people who hate it talk like theyre converting others religion or something, so stubborn at times.

opponent hanging off the edge, at the exact moment they make a decision what to do from the edge... you jump above but not over & start charging jhammer, since theyre already rolling, jumping, or just climbing up from the edge, you can catch them just after their invincibility/attack runs out.
since jet hammer is such a fast move you can catch them in between frames.
(why do you have to jump before they climb the edge? in case they do an attack, you can let them miss, while you fall down to capitalize on this mistake.
the only reason i post is because this situiation just happened, and i won the game because of it.
i have this and many other situiations saved in my replays, maybe i will find a way to upload this.

BTW this was a seriously skilled player, if i get the replay up youd see that, many people are ashamed to admit they got killed by jet hammer

Revolutionary1804

Smash Apprentice
^ is still trying to argue that the jethammer is a great attack, no its not, its like killing somone with a falcon punch or a knee now; just looks cool (even though it doesn't even look that cool)

CojaxCojax

Smash Rookie
I like to jiggle back and forth and up and down while charging, in order to edgeguard an opponent coming down. Just a good mind game, but it's hard to get back right on time. Still, makes it harder for them to avoid. I never have even once managed the D3 Mech Hammer Slide thing.

zaf

Smash Lord
^ is still trying to argue that the jethammer is a great attack, no its not, its like killing somone with a falcon punch or a knee now; just looks cool (even though it doesn't even look that cool)

like they said, it just looks flashy, i don't find it very convenient to be finishing with this move. it just doesn't seem to cut it the way some of his other moves do.

showmeyagoose

Smash Cadet

^ was unnecessary.
i cant believe youre even comparing mech hammer to falcon punch, do you realize how fast mech hammer comes out?
just because its hard to pull off in 99% of situiations doesnt mean there isnt a 1% when it works....just agree to disagree but dont try to put me down dude, it might not work with you.

Johnny Smash

Smash Cadet
I can see how being able to do the equivalent of a "smash" type of attack in the air or at closer range/faster than his normal smash could have it's advantages. I just started Dedede though so I'm not too sure about it though.

really_calm

Smash Journeyman
ok I don't think ANYONE is arguing it's a great attack

I think we're saying that it CAN be useful in certain situations listed above. And that it should be incorporated into DDD's game because those situations are better dealt with by mech hammer than other attacks.

It's obviously not his best move because of the crazy ending lag and bad range.

Milln

Smash Champion
I don't even belong here, and I apologize for making the topic more drawn out, but I was just in the neighborhood checking some things on chaingrabbing and I thought I might reply with my own synopsis:

Jet Hammer and Fair are almost exactly the same. Jet Hammer with ZERO charge will send them only a little less far as fair will. Considering you guys use fair a lot (right?) it may have stale moves on it, whereas your Jet Hammer is likely to be completely fresh. Also, I imagine you're going to charge it at the very least, like.. a quarter of a second which immediately puts it at better knockback than fair(and Bair, too, by the way) with --extremely-- minute differences in startup time. Charging it for slightly more time will only increase the reward. It's like having a chargeable, surprise fair you'll always have fresh knockback on.

Jet Hammer and Fair both come out at the same time, though Jet Hammer does have considerably more recovery time after it, but you're only going to use your attacks when you're pretty sure they're going to hit, anyway, right?

Not to mention the time spent on spacing your fair or bair in midair could be spent on charging the hammer. Like a footstool jump, it's out of nowhere and such an underused move that it might actually startle your opponent because they'll be looking for something else and make an error, especially since you can mindgame by pulling it out, feinting away to give the impression you want to charge it more, then quickly going back in when they drop their shield to chase you. (Deeds' air movement is too sluggish for this, nevermind. XD ) *shrug*

I'm not truly participating in the debate, I'm just giving more ideas to the people that actually use the move so that they can continue their style with more options in mind.

Mike35

Smash Cadet
Kudos to those who have tried to find situations where this (to some) seemingly useless move can be effective. :) I don't main Dedede but I have been playing with him a bit more lately and I've had some success when pulling this move out at unexpected times. I'm not sure if it's the best option in any situation I've used it in, but it's at least a bit unpredictable (which helps a lot, considering how easy it is in this game to avoid attacks that you know are coming).

If I find any situations where it seems like the best move to use, I'll be sure to post it. But for now I'll continue to use it only as a rare but unexpected option when I think I can land it.

Ztarfish

Smash Journeyman
I've never found a way to implement Down-B into my strategy (I just recently picked up D3) though i've tried. I just find it a lot easier to use other moves for kills.

apmpnmdslkbk

Smash Journeyman
D3's ( whats with the nickname??) Dsecial has very specific surcumstances but if you happen to encounter said sercumstance then you can almost definantly expect a k.o.

For me these are times were his Dspecial has helped me out

1. when an opponent is stuck in an waddle doo beam.
2. (if you play with items) after being hit with a pit fall
3. as a suprise attack on a group of enemies during a 4-way match
4. Begin charge and get enemy to dodge and then let loose his attack after the invicility frame is over.

In these four sucumstances I have been able to hit my target t least 90% of the time that I attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom