• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If you created the Mario Kart rosters

Butters Stotch

Smash Apprentice
I've come across some "what if you were Sakurai" threads on this forum and, after coming across a few Mario Kart themed threads, that got me thinking about something similar for the Mario Kart series. Here are some rules:

1. You can decrease the number of characters for each roster, but you can't do the opposite and increase (exceptions apply for the next rule).
2. Clones or characters that reuse models must be kept, removed, or made into alts. They can't be replaced with completely unique characters unless you can find away around doing so (like making the Luma playable in Mario Kart Wii, as the model exists in the game and is animated). You can add more clones by upgrading certain costumes to full characters.
3. Characters must've existed at the times of the respective games, though you can add promotional characters if their games released not long before/after (for example, you can add Wario to Super Mario Kart).
4. Non-Mario characters are allowed in all games. Heck, you can have the series be a Nintendo crossover from the start if you really want to. Third parties will be allowed as early as Double Dash, as Shigeru Miyamoto discussed the possibility of Sonic being in the game.
5. Optional, but you can factor in the weight classes for the characters if you want the roster to feel more balanced.

I'll throw my hat into the ring and do my own versions of rosters.

Super Mario Kart
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultyoshi:
:goomba: :ultdk: :ultbowser:
  • I initially had Daisy here to promote Super Mario Land 2 (she wasn't present in the game, but I think adding Wario in advance would be odd), but I swapped her out for classic DK to represent Mario's origins.
  • Goomba is here for being a more prevalent and iconic enemy than the Koopa Troopa.

Mario Kart 64/Super Circuit
:ultdk:
:ultbowser:
  • Not much to say for these two games. Their rosters, in my opinion, contain the most important and necessary characters out of the primary series cast.

Mario Kart: Double Dash
:ultmario::ultpeach::ultyoshi:
:goomba::ultdk:

:ultluigi::ultdaisy:
:ultdiddy:
:ultbowserjr:

• I considered E. Gadd and Shadow Mario as a team, as they play more prominent roles in their respective games, but I felt that the roster would be better off if balanced in terms of stats, so I kept King Boo and Petey Piranha.
  • Dixie and Funky are the game's clones, replacing Baby Luigi and Paratroopa. I think DK is successful enough as a series to deserve another duo and, like King Boo and Petey Piranha, help balance out the character weights, being light and heavy characters respectively.
Mario Kart Arcade GP/GP 2
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultyoshi:

:ultdk::ultdiddy:
:goomba::ultbowserjr:
  • I know Namco developed the game, but I would keep the focus here on Mario characters. Besides, there is a guest character I have in mind for the next mainline game.
  • Goomba and Bowser Jr. are exclusive to GP 2.

Mario Kart DS
:ultbowser::ultdaisy:
:ultsonic:
  • Hammer Bro is sort of a replacement for Koopa Troopa. They're the same species with not so different body types and have been around since Mario 1.
  • Wart is our new heavy character and serves as a throwback character. Mario 2 was responsible for bringing many major elements and enemies to the series and received a GBA remake.
  • I'm serious about adding Sonic. I would rather keep guests to a minimum, but again, Miyamoto discussed the possibility of Sonic in Double Dash and because that didn't end up happening, I'd try to get him into this game. This would be the first real crossover between Mario and Sonic and could lead to the former being playable in Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing. It's likely that Ryan Drummond would voice him here, as this came out before Shadow and Rush, which both originally had him reprising the role, and it would probably make more sense for Jason Griffith to start voicing Sonic in those games instead of a crossover with Mario.
  • I try my absolute best to make all characters playable outside of Download Play. If I had to make one exclusive to the mode, it would probably be Hammer Bro.

Mario Kart Wii

:goomba:

:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultdaisy:
:ultyoshi:
:ultdiddy::ultbowserjr:
:ultdk::ultrosalina:

:ultmiifighters:/:ultsonic:
  • Baby Mario finally makes it in after his appearances in the Yoshi games and Partners in Time and brings a clone with him in Baby Luigi.
  • This could be considered cheating, but I think I could sacrifice the Luma that follows Rosalina to bring the Goomba back. The Goomba's model already exists and the Luma had some animation originally done on it.
  • Kamek is a major character and a secondary antagonist in the Mario series and the main antagonist of the Yoshi series. I'm a little shocked it took until Tour for him to get in.
  • I'm not sure who to include between the Mii and Sonic. Miis serve as the Wii's digital avatars and starred in successful launch titles that branched off into a whole series. Sonic was already slated to appear with Mario again in the Olympic Games and Brawl and, as MKWii and Zero Gravity ended up releasing in the same year, the Riders series can be represented with a change in Sonic's design (wearing his gear from the series) and a track.
  • The rest of the choices make enough sense and I can't really complain, which is why I haven't really discussed the characters I'm keeping all that much.

Mario Kart 7
:goomba::ultdaisy:
Fawful
Boom Boom
Mr. L
:ultmiifighters:
  • Waluigi returns over Rosalina. He's been with the series for longer and would take priority over her.
  • Fawful is here to represent the Mario & Luigi series. This is helped by his main antagonist role in Bowser's Inside Story.
  • Boom Boom made a return in 3D Land, which released close to this game. To save development time, his model could be recycled and given new animations.
  • I would've considered E. Gadd for Double Dash and Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon was announced all the way back in 2011.
  • Mr. L replaces Metal Mario. He has his own personality and can represent Paper Mario, which would be fair, as I added a Mario & Luigi character.

Mario Kart Arcade GP DX

:ultdiddy::ultbowserjr:
:ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultyoshi:
:ultmario::ultluigi:

:ultrosalina::ultdk:
  • With a bigger roster than the last two GP games, I added three new characters, though two serve as alternatives/replacements.
  • Pink Red Boo is a lightweight equivalent to King Boo and allows the regular Boo to stay as an item.
  • Toadsworth fills in Toadette's role as an additional member of the Toad species.
  • Because this came out during the Year of Luigi, I added Nabbit to represent New Super Luigi U and its base game New Super Mario Bros. U.

Mario Kart 8/Deluxe
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultrosalina:Cosmic Spirit
:ultyoshi:
:ultdk::ultdiddy:
Sprixie Princess
Captain Syrup
:goomba:
:ultbowser::ultbowserjr:
Mr. L
:ultmiifighters:
NSMBU x MK8:

DKC TF x MK8:
:ultkrool:
MK8 DX:
Fawful
  • The new clones are Gold Mario and Cosmic Spirit. Hammer Bro (his head can just placed onto Koopa's model) and Mr. L return from DS and 7.
  • Sprixie Princess's inclusion is to represent 3D World.
  • Yoshi and DK characters have been added to previous games, but the same can't be said for the Wario series, so I added Captain Syrup to represent Wario Land.
  • King Bob-Omb is a recurring boss character in the series and has made multiple appearances since Mario 64.
  • Tanooki Mario, Cat Peach, and Dry Bowser are replaced with Toadsworth, Dry Bones, and DIxie Kong. As the former three had more effort put into them than the metal characters and babies, I think creating the latter trio in place of them would be possible.
  • Pauline is sort of a legacy character, originating from the first Donkey Kong arcade game, and making several reappearances in the Mario VS Donkey Kong series.
  • I initially had Funky as a costume for DK in place of the female Villager, but I made him his own character because of his previous appearances in the series.
  • King K. Rool is the main antagonist of the DKC series and, even if he's been absent from a few recent games, I think he's deserving of a spot on the roster. He almost got onto my Wii roster.
  • I would use the additional slots provided by 8 Deluxe to bring back characters I couldn't squeeze into the original release. Fans would probably demand to see Fawful return. Red Boo replaces Inkling Boy because he’d be an easy addition (just recolor King Boo, shrink him, and remove the crown) and was the only GP DX character missing from the original game’s roster.

Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Journeyman
Since I did this for SSB, why not do one for Mario Kart?

Super Mario Kart: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, Bowser, Toad, DK, Koopa
I just replaced DK Jr. with DK since I feel that DK is more recognizable.

Mario Kart 64 & Super Circuit: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, Bowser, Toad, DK, Wario
Same as it was. I like Koopa, but he is the most expendable of the bunch outside of Toad, but there’s no one else more notable than Toad.

Double Dash: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, Bowser, Toad, DK, Wario, Koopa, Goomba, Boo, Bowser Jr., Daisy, Waluigi, Birdo, Baby Mario, Diddy Kong
I want to say that I’d come with the double driver feature, but I don’t think I would. In terms of the roster, I’d definitely return Koopa. Also, I feel that Daisy, Waluigi, Birdo, Bowser Jr. and Diddy can join. I don’t think I would’ve come up with Toadette at this point since Toad wouldn’t need a partner. For other additions, I feel that Boo (not King Boo) and Baby Mario can join. For my last addition, I’ll just go with Goomba since it‘s the most recognizable enemy. I left out Baby Luigi and Paratroopa since they were added as partners (system is not present in this game) along with Petey since I don’t think that I would’ve promoted him at the time.
Starting Roster: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, Bowser, Toad, Wario, Koopa, Daisy, Waluigi

DS: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, Bowser, Toad, DK, Wario, Daisy, Waluigi, Shy Guy, Toadette or another female toad.
While Dry Bones was a nice addition, I don’t see myself replacing Koopa with him. Instead, I’d make Shy Guy fully playable. I also like R.O.B but wouldn’t have imagined adding him. I‘ll go with another light weight character and assume that Toadette is available at this point since she was in Mario Party 6 and TTYD.
Starting Roster: MK64/Super Circuit Roster

Wii: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, Bowser, Toad, DK, Wario, Koopa, Goomba, Boo, Bowser Jr., Daisy, Waluigi, Birdo, Baby Mario, Baby Luigi. Diddy Kong, Shy Guy, female toad, Rosalina, Metal Mario, Miis
Since a lot of the light weight characters used similar models (babies, Toadette, and Dry Bones) in Mario Kart Wii, my roster probably would be cut down. I’d see myself adding Rosalina for Mario Galaxy, but that’s it for unique newcomers. Due to their similarities to the Marios, I could see myself going with Baby Luigi and Metal Mario this entry.
Roster: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, Bowser. Toad, DK, Wario, Koopa, Daisy, Waluigi, Rosalina

7: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, Bowser, Toad, DK, Wario, Koopa, Daisy, Waluigi, Shy Guy, Rosalina, Metal Mario, Lakitu, Kamek, Miis
I don’t see myself adding Wiggler or Honey Queen, so I’ll bring back Waluigi and add Kamek instead, who was recurring.
Roster: MK64/Super Circuit Roster

8: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, Bowser, Toad, DK, Wario, Koopa, Koopalings, Bowser Jr., Daisy, Waluigi, Baby Mario, Baby Luigi, Shy Guy, female Toad, Rosalina, Metal Mario, Lakitu, Miis (DLC: Link, Villagers, Isabelle), (Deluxe: Boo, Inkling, Captain Falcon)
Starting Roster: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Toad, DK, Wario, Koopa, Daisy, Waluigi, Shy Guy, Rosalina
Like Wii, there were many characters who were added based on similar models, but I don’t see myself adding some of these characters (primarily Pink Gold Peach and the female babies). Everyone else should be fine for base game though. I think that I might be able to squeeze in Bowser Jr. though.
For DLC, I’ll just start with Mario, Luigi, and Peach alt and then add Link and the Animal Crossing Characters.
For Deluxe, Inklings and Captain Falcon join, and Boo returns. I added Falcon since there were F-Zero stages as DLC and to give F-Zero fans a consolation prize.

For another note, I would’ve made vs. mode and battle mode always available for single player. I also would’ve kept the elimination format and probably keep the maximum number of racers at 8 (I like 12, but 8 is still good enough).

Last edited:

Butters Stotch

Smash Apprentice
Since I did this for SSB, why not do one for Mario Kart?

Super Mario Kart: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, Bowser, Toad, DK, Koopa
I just replaced DK Jr. with DK since I feel that DK is more recognizable.

Mario Kart 64 & Super Circuit: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, Bowser, Toad, DK, Wario
Same as it was. I like Koopa, but he is the most expendable of the bunch outside of Toad, but there’s no one else more notable than Toad.

Double Dash: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, Bowser, Toad, DK, Wario, Koopa, Goomba, Boo, Bowser Jr., Daisy, Waluigi, Birdo, Baby Mario, Diddy Kong
I want to say that I’d come with the double driver feature, but I don’t think I would. In terms of the roster, I’d definitely return Koopa. Also, I feel that Daisy, Waluigi, Birdo, Bowser Jr. and Diddy can join. I don’t think I would’ve come up with Toadette at this point since Toad wouldn’t need a partner. For other additions, I feel that Boo (not King Boo) and Baby Mario can join. For my last addition, I’ll just go with Goomba since it‘s the most recognizable enemy. I left out Baby Luigi and Paratroopa since they were added as partners (system is not present in this game) along with Petey since I don’t think that I would’ve promoted him at the time.

DS: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, Bowser, Toad, DK, Wario, Daisy, Waluigi, Shy Guy, Toadette or another female toad.
While Dry Bones was a nice addition, I don’t see myself replacing Koopa with him. Instead, I’d make Shy Guy fully playable. I also like R.O.B but wouldn’t have imagined adding him. I‘ll go with another light weight character and assume that Toadette is available at this point since she was in Mario Party 6 and TTYD.

Wii: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, Bowser, Toad, DK, Wario, Koopa, Goomba, Boo, Bowser Jr., Daisy, Waluigi, Birdo, Baby Mario, Baby Luigi. Diddy Kong, Shy Guy, female toad, Rosalina, Metal Mario, Miis
Since a lot of the light weight characters used similar models (babies, Toadette, and Dry Bones) in Mario Kart Wii, my roster probably would be cut down. I’d see myself adding Rosalina for Mario Galaxy, but that’s it for unique newcomers. Due to their similarities to the Marios, I could see myself going with Baby Luigi and Metal Mario this entry.

7: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, Bowser, Toad, DK, Wario, Koopa, Daisy, Waluigi, Shy Guy, Rosalina, Metal Mario, Lakitu, Kamek, Miis
I don’t see myself adding Wiggler or Honey Queen, so I’ll bring back Waluigi and add Kamek instead, who was recurring.

8: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, Bowser, Toad, DK, Wario, Koopa, Koopalings, Bowser Jr., Daisy, Waluigi, Baby Mario, Baby Luigi, Shy Guy, female Toad, Rosalina, Metal Mario, Lakitu, Miis (DLC: Link, Villagers, Isabelle), (Deluxe: Boo, Inkling, Captain Falcon)

Like Wii, there were many characters who were added based on similar models, but I don’t see myself adding some of these characters (primarily Pink Gold Peach and the female babies). Everyone else should be fine for base game though. I think that I might be able to squeeze in Bowser Jr. though.
For DLC, I’ll just start with Mario, Luigi, and Peach alt and then add Link and the Animal Crossing Characters.
For Deluxe, Inklings and Captain Falcon join, and Boo returns. I added Falcon since there were F-Zero stages as DLC and to give F-Zero fans a consolation prize.
Thanks for providing your own take on this roster. Honestly, I didn't expect anyone else to discover this.

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Ace
Hmm... here's my own take.

Super Mario Kart:
Mario, Luigi, Peach and Bowser are your primary lock-ins. I'm going to replace DK Jr. with Donkey Kong, and I'm actually also going to keep Yoshi and Toad. Last up, we have the "bizarro slot," and for this, I'm going to give it to Shyguy. The idea of having a weirder rep here works, but I think it's a good idea to have enemies later on.

Mario Kart 64:
As much as I'd love to bump this one up to 12, it's sadly unlikely to happen... but, due to his relative obscurity, Shyguy is being replaced with Wario due to his relevance at the time. DK obviously doesn't change, given that his SMK appearance was changed. The chaotic side of me wants to add Kamek somehow, but I think this is a solid roster at this point.

Mario Kart: Double Dash!!:
Of course, Double Dash!! had the unique pairing mechanic, so allow me to propose them:

Mario & Luigi: Stays the same. The iconic plumber duo has literally no reason to change.
Peach & Daisy:
Might as well keep this pair too. Daisy is already at this point a staple of Mario spin-offs so there's no point in getting rid of her - plus, she counters Peach well. I did originally want to add Pauline, but I had to somewhat restrain myself.
Yoshi & Birdo:
Keeping this pair too. Birdo works really well as a Yoshi pair somehow, and whilst a character like Poochy could be argued to be a better pick, I think that Birdo's similar body type works well here.
Toad & Toadette:
I feel like Toadette somehow could be improved here given she was literally invented for this game, but the issue is, it's difficult to find a pair for Toad, so I guess this pair stays.
Shyguy & Koopa:
Introducing the Koopa, I think this is a logical pairing. It's a little difficult to really pair Shyguy with anyone (though I considered Wart, he's not really right) so I guess this is the best I can do.
Donkey Kong & Diddy Kong:
Stays the same - I see no reason for this to really change, to be honest.
Bowser & Bowser Jr.:
I'm going to keep this the same too, actually. As much as it pains me, Bowser Jr. was pretty important at the time, so it only makes sense to have the pair here.

At some point, I'll get around to doing DS, Wii, 7 and 8, just not right now.
Wario & Waluigi:
These two stay as well - though I considered adding someone from the Wario Land or at the time recent WarioWare series, Waluigi just seems logical given his place in Mario sports games.
Petey Pirahna & King Boo
: Are these two staying? Yes. Is this biased? Yes. This pair is just so genius to me that I feel they absolutely need to remain.

Top Bottom