• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Redesigning the Mario Kart/Party rosters

Butters Stotch

Smash Ace
I've come across some "what if you were Sakurai" threads on this forum and, after seeing a few Mario Kart themed threads, that got me thinking about something similar for the Mario Kart series. Here are some rules:
  1. You can decrease the number of characters for each roster, but you can't do the opposite and increase (exceptions apply for the next rule).
  2. Clones or characters that reuse models must be kept, removed, or made into alts. They can't be replaced with completely unique characters unless you can find away around doing so (like making the Luma playable in Mario Kart Wii, as the model exists in the game and is animated). You can add more clones by upgrading certain costumes to full characters.
  3. Characters must've existed at the times of the respective games, though you can add promotional characters if their games released shortly before or after (for example, you can add Wario to Super Mario Kart).
  4. Non-Mario characters are allowed in all games. Heck, you can have the series be a Nintendo crossover from the start if you really want to. Third parties will be allowed as early as Double Dash, as Shigeru Miyamoto discussed the possibility of Sonic being in the game.
  5. Optional, but you can factor in the weight classes for the characters if you want the roster to feel more balanced.
I'll throw my hat into the ring and do my own versions of rosters.

Super Mario Kart
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultyoshi:
:goomba: :ultdk: :ultbowser:
  • I initially had Daisy here to promote Super Mario Land 2 (she wasn't present in the game, but I think adding Wario in advance would be odd), but I swapped her out for classic DK to represent Mario's origins.
  • Goomba is here for being a more prevalent and iconic enemy than the Koopa Troopa.

Mario Kart 64
:ultdk:
:ultbowser:
Mini Bomb Kart
  • Not much to say for this roster, as the first eight most important and necessary characters needed.
  • Remember those giant bomb vehicles you can play as after losing in Battle Mode? Since it's already controllable there, I can't imagine it would take much effort to make the Mini Bomb Kart playable. It would be a "super secret" unlockable character.

Mario Kart: Super Circuit
  • Literally the above, but without Mini Bomb Kart.

Mario Kart: Double Dash
:ultmario::ultpeach::ultyoshi:
:goomba::ultdk:

:ultluigi::ultdaisy:
:ultdiddy:
:ultbowserjr:

• I considered E. Gadd and Shadow Mario as a team, as they play more prominent roles in their respective games, but I felt that the roster would be better off if balanced in terms of stats, so I kept King Boo and Petey Piranha.
  • Dixie and Funky are the game's clones, replacing Baby Luigi and Paratroopa. I think DK is successful enough as a series to deserve another duo and, like King Boo and Petey Piranha, help balance out the character weights, being light and heavy characters respectively.

Mario Kart Arcade GP/GP 2
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultyoshi:

:ultdk::ultdiddy:
:goomba::ultbowserjr:
  • I know Namco developed the game, but I would keep the focus here on Mario characters. Besides, there is a guest character I have in mind for the next mainline game.
  • Goomba and Bowser Jr. are exclusive to GP 2.

Mario Kart DS
:ultbowser::ultdaisy:
:ultsonic:
  • Wart serves as a throwback character, though mainly because of the Mario 2 GBA remake. Still, the original was responsible for bringing many major elements to the series.
  • I'm serious about adding Sonic. I would rather keep guests to a minimum, but again, Miyamoto discussed the possibility of Sonic in Double Dash and because that didn't end up happening, I'd try to get him into this game. This would be the first real crossover between Mario and Sonic and could lead to the former being playable in Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing.
  • I try my absolute best to make all characters playable outside of Download Play. If I had to make one exclusive to the mode, it would probably be Dry Bones.

Mario Kart Wii

:goomba:

:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultdaisy:
:ultyoshi:
:ultdiddy::ultbowserjr:
:ultdk::ultrosalina:

:ultmiifighters:
  • Baby Mario finally makes it in after his appearances in the Yoshi games and Partners in Time and brings a clone with him in Baby Luigi.
  • This could be considered cheating, but I think I could sacrifice the Luma that follows Rosalina to bring the Goomba back. The Goomba's model already exists and the Luma had some animation originally done on it.
  • Kamek is a major character and a secondary antagonist in the Mario series and the main antagonist of the Yoshi series. I'm a little shocked it took until Tour for him to get in.

Mario Kart 7
:goomba::ultdaisy:
Fawful
Boom Boom
Mr. L
:ultmiifighters:
  • Waluigi returns over Rosalina. He's been with the series for longer and would take priority over her.
  • Fawful is here to represent the Mario & Luigi series and because of his main antagonist role in Bowser's Inside Story.
  • Boom Boom made a return in 3D Land, which released around the same time as this game.
  • I would've considered E. Gadd for Double Dash and Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon was announced all the way back in 2011.
  • Mr. L replaces Metal Mario. He has his own personality and can represent Paper Mario, which would be fair, as I added a Mario & Luigi character.

Mario Kart Arcade GP DX

:ultdiddy::ultbowserjr:
:ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultyoshi:
:ultmario::ultluigi:

:ultrosalina::ultdk:
  • Hammer Bro is sort of a replacement for Koopa Troopa. They're the same species with not so different body types and have been around since Mario 1.
  • Toadsworth fills in Toadette's role as an additional and recurring member of the Toad species.
  • Because this came out during the Year of Luigi, I added Nabbit to represent New Super Luigi U and its base game New Super Mario Bros. U.

Mario Kart 8
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultrosalina:Cosmic Spirit
:ultyoshi:

:goomba:
Sprixie Princess
:ultdk::ultdiddy:
Captain Syrup

:ultbowser::ultbowserjr:
Mr. L:ultmiifighters:
  • The new clones are Gold Mario and Cosmic Spirit. Dry Bones and Mr. L return from DS and 7.
  • Sprixie Princess is here to represent 3D World.
  • Yoshi and DK characters have been added to previous games, but the same can't be said for the Wario series, so I added Captain Syrup to represent Wario Land.
  • King Bob-Omb is a recurring boss character in the series and has made multiple appearances since Mario 64.

DLC
MKA GPDX x MK8:

DKC TF x MK8:
:ultkrool:
  • Tanooki Mario, Cat Peach, and Dry Bowser are replaced with Toadsworth, Dry Bones, and DIxie Kong, as the three had more effort put into them than the metal characters and babies.
  • Pauline is another throwback character, originating from the first Donkey Kong arcade game, and making several reappearances in the Mario VS Donkey Kong series.
  • At first, Funky was a costume for DK in place of the female Villager, but I made him his own character because of his previous appearances in the series.
  • King K. Rool is the main antagonist of the DKC series and, even if he's been absent from a few recent games, I think he's deserving of a spot on the roster.

8 Deluxe
Baby Wario
:ultsonic:
  • I would use the additional slots provided by 8 Deluxe to bring back veterans that weren't able to make into the original release. Sonic's return would be heavily anticipated by fans.
  • Replacing the Inkling Boy is another clone, Baby Wario. There wouldn't be as much backlash, as there would only be two other babies on the roster and he wasn't made up on the spot.

Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Lord
Since I did this for SSB, why not do one for Mario Kart? I’ll put asterisks to the ones I’d make secret racers. Also, I’ll do this like with SSB where I use the originally planned roster as a template or base.

Super Mario Kart: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, Bowser, Toad, DK, Koopa Troopa
I’ll just go over Donkey Kong and Koopa Troopa for this one. I replaced DK Jr with DK as the original Donkey Kong was an important arcade game, and he’d represent Mario’s original rival. Koopa Troopa is here as it’s easier to imagine a Koopa Troopa driving than a Goomba.

Mario Kart 64 & Super Circuit: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, Bowser, Toad, DK, Wario
Same as it was. Wario needed to be here, and Koopa Troopa was the most expendable.

Gamecube: Mario-Luigi, Peach-Daisy, Toad-Toadette, Yoshi-Birdo, Baby Mario-Baby Luigi, Donkey Kong-Diddy Kong, Wario-Waluigi, Koopa Troopa-Paratroopa*, Bowser-Bowser Jr., King Boo-Petey Piranha*
While I don’t think I’d come up with the double driver feature, I’d go along with the idea if it was presented to me. To be honest, the pairs that we had work really well. While Peach-Toad, Yoshi-Baby Mario, and Daisy-Birdo seem more logical to me, I like having more options, so I’d keep Baby Luigi and Toadette.

DS: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Daisy*, Yoshi, Bowser, Toad, DK, Wario, Waluigi*, Shy Guy*, R.O.B.*
Based on the knowledge that I had in this game, I think that Birdo and E Gadd were supposed to be playable, and then E Gadd was replaced by Dry Bones. Instead of replacing E Gadd with Dry Bones, I think that I would’ve made Shy Guy playable for general use. Also, R.O.B. is cool so he stays.

Wii: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Daisy*, Yoshi, Birdo*, Diddy Kong*, Bowser Jr*, Toad, Toadette, Koopa Troopa, Dry Bones*, Baby Mario, Baby Luigi*, Baby Peach*, Baby Daisy*, Donkey Kong, Wario, Waluigi*, Bowser, King Boo*, Rosalina, Funky Kong*, Dry Bowser*, Mii*
This becomes complicated because many of the lightweight racers have similar models. I‘m fine with everything. Because of Yoshi’s Island DS and M&L: Partners in Time, I’ll say that Baby Mario, Baby Luigi, and Baby Peach are added. Baby Daisy and Dry Bones are here because they’re model swaps more or less. The eight medium weight racers are fine. Dry Bowser is easy enough to add, so I’ll add him. Funky Kong also seems cool.

7: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Daisy*, Yoshi, Bowser, Toad, Toadette*, DK, Koopa Troopa, Wario*, Rosalina*, Metal Mario*, Lakitu*, Honey Queen*, Wiggler*, Miis*
Honestly, I liked 7‘s roster overall, and the only change that I’d make is finding a way to sneak in Toadette. Metal Mario was easy to add, and Lakitu, Honey Queen, and Wiggler were good surprises. I do think that the idea that they tried to do with 7 was cool in terms of veterans, but I’d replace Shy Guy with Toadette because I prefer her.

8: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Daisy, Yoshi, Bowser, Toad, Toadette, DK, Koopa Troopa, Shy Guy, Lakitu*, Wario, Waluigi, Rosalina, Koopalings*, Baby Mario, Baby Luigi*, Baby Peach, Baby Daisy*, Baby Rosalina*, Metal Mario*, Pink Gold Peach*, Mii* (DLC: Tanooki Mario, Cat Peach, Link, Villagers, Isabelle), (Deluxe: Bowser Jr, King Boo, Dry Bones, Dry Bowser, Inkling; Birdo, Petey, Wiggler, Kamek, Pauline, Diddy Kong, Funky Kong, Peachette)
Like Wii, many of the racers shared similar models. I could replace Baby Rosalina and Pink Gold Peach with Dry Bones and Dry Bowser, but I’ll just add them in base game as their harmless additions overall. Everything else is consistent otherwise.

For another note, I would’ve made vs. mode and battle mode always available for single player. I also would’ve kept the elimination format for balloon battle.

I’ll go quickly over the GP games: the first roster is the same as I have no issues with the Namco characters on the roster. For GP2, I’d replace Waluigi with Daisy, and for GPDX, I’d replace the Baby Peach, Lakitu, and Don-chan with Toadette, Koopa Troopa, and Blinky, and King Boo would be permanent.

Last edited:

Butters Stotch

Smash Ace
Since I did this for SSB, why not do one for Mario Kart?

Super Mario Kart: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, Bowser, Toad, DK, Koopa
I just replaced DK Jr. with DK since I feel that DK is more recognizable.

Mario Kart 64 & Super Circuit: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, Bowser, Toad, DK, Wario
Same as it was. I like Koopa, but he is the most expendable of the bunch outside of Toad, but there’s no one else more notable than Toad.

Double Dash: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, Bowser, Toad, DK, Wario, Koopa, Goomba, Boo, Bowser Jr., Daisy, Waluigi, Birdo, Baby Mario, Diddy Kong
I want to say that I’d come with the double driver feature, but I don’t think I would. In terms of the roster, I’d definitely return Koopa. Also, I feel that Daisy, Waluigi, Birdo, Bowser Jr. and Diddy can join. I don’t think I would’ve come up with Toadette at this point since Toad wouldn’t need a partner. For other additions, I feel that Boo (not King Boo) and Baby Mario can join. For my last addition, I’ll just go with Goomba since it‘s the most recognizable enemy. I left out Baby Luigi and Paratroopa since they were added as partners (system is not present in this game) along with Petey since I don’t think that I would’ve promoted him at the time.

DS: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, Bowser, Toad, DK, Wario, Daisy, Waluigi, Shy Guy, Toadette or another female toad.
While Dry Bones was a nice addition, I don’t see myself replacing Koopa with him. Instead, I’d make Shy Guy fully playable. I also like R.O.B but wouldn’t have imagined adding him. I‘ll go with another light weight character and assume that Toadette is available at this point since she was in Mario Party 6 and TTYD.

Wii: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, Bowser, Toad, DK, Wario, Koopa, Goomba, Boo, Bowser Jr., Daisy, Waluigi, Birdo, Baby Mario, Baby Luigi. Diddy Kong, Shy Guy, female toad, Rosalina, Metal Mario, Miis
Since a lot of the light weight characters used similar models (babies, Toadette, and Dry Bones) in Mario Kart Wii, my roster probably would be cut down. I’d see myself adding Rosalina for Mario Galaxy, but that’s it for unique newcomers. Due to their similarities to the Marios, I could see myself going with Baby Luigi and Metal Mario this entry.

7: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, Bowser, Toad, DK, Wario, Koopa, Daisy, Waluigi, Shy Guy, Rosalina, Metal Mario, Lakitu, Kamek, Miis
I don’t see myself adding Wiggler or Honey Queen, so I’ll bring back Waluigi and add Kamek instead, who was recurring.

8: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, Bowser, Toad, DK, Wario, Koopa, Koopalings, Bowser Jr., Daisy, Waluigi, Baby Mario, Baby Luigi, Shy Guy, female Toad, Rosalina, Metal Mario, Lakitu, Miis (DLC: Link, Villagers, Isabelle), (Deluxe: Boo, Inkling, Captain Falcon)

Like Wii, there were many characters who were added based on similar models, but I don’t see myself adding some of these characters (primarily Pink Gold Peach and the female babies). Everyone else should be fine for base game though. I think that I might be able to squeeze in Bowser Jr. though.
For DLC, I’ll just start with Mario, Luigi, and Peach alt and then add Link and the Animal Crossing Characters.
For Deluxe, Inklings and Captain Falcon join, and Boo returns. I added Falcon since there were F-Zero stages as DLC and to give F-Zero fans a consolation prize.
Thanks for providing your own take on the rosters. Honestly, I didn't expect anyone else to discover this.

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Hmm... here's my own take.

Super Mario Kart:
Mario, Luigi, Peach and Bowser are your primary lock-ins. I'm going to replace DK Jr. with Donkey Kong, and I'm actually also going to keep Yoshi and Toad. Last up, we have the "bizarro slot," and for this, I'm going to give it to Shyguy. The idea of having a weirder rep here works, but I think it's a good idea to have enemies later on.

Mario Kart 64:
As much as I'd love to bump this one up to 12, it's sadly unlikely to happen... but, due to his relative obscurity, Shyguy is being replaced with Wario due to his relevance at the time. DK obviously doesn't change, given that his SMK appearance was changed. The chaotic side of me wants to add Kamek somehow, but I think this is a solid roster at this point.

Mario Kart: Double Dash!!:
Of course, Double Dash!! had the unique pairing mechanic, so allow me to propose them:

Mario & Luigi: Stays the same. The iconic plumber duo has literally no reason to change.
Peach & Daisy:
Might as well keep this pair too. Daisy is already at this point a staple of Mario spin-offs so there's no point in getting rid of her - plus, she counters Peach well. I did originally want to add Pauline, but I had to somewhat restrain myself.
Yoshi & Birdo:
Keeping this pair too. Birdo works really well as a Yoshi pair somehow, and whilst a character like Poochy could be argued to be a better pick, I think that Birdo's similar body type works well here.
Toad & Toadette:
I feel like Toadette somehow could be improved here given she was literally invented for this game, but the issue is, it's difficult to find a pair for Toad, so I guess this pair stays.
Shyguy & Koopa:
Introducing the Koopa, I think this is a logical pairing. It's a little difficult to really pair Shyguy with anyone (though I considered Wart, he's not really right) so I guess this is the best I can do.
Donkey Kong & Diddy Kong:
Stays the same - I see no reason for this to really change, to be honest.
Bowser & Bowser Jr.:
I'm going to keep this the same too, actually. As much as it pains me, Bowser Jr. was pretty important at the time, so it only makes sense to have the pair here.

At some point, I'll get around to doing DS, Wii, 7 and 8, just not right now.
Wario & Waluigi:
These two stay as well - though I considered adding someone from the Wario Land or at the time recent WarioWare series, Waluigi just seems logical given his place in Mario sports games.
Petey Pirahna & King Boo
: Are these two staying? Yes. Is this biased? Yes. This pair is just so genius to me that I feel they absolutely need to remain.

Butters Stotch

Smash Ace
I'm gonna add to this thread by allowing rosters to be posted for the Mario Party games. Here are the rules (some copied from the first post):

1. You can decrease the number of characters for each roster, but you can't do the opposite and increase (exceptions apply for the next rule).
2. Characters must've existed at the times of the respective games, though you can add promotional characters if their games released not long before or after.
3. Non-Mario characters are allowed in all games and, optionally, you can have the series begin as a Nintendo crossover. Third parties will be allowed as early as Mario Party 4.
4. You can skip out on certain titles and, if you really want to, outright prevent their existence. Also, you can talk about the gameplay changes you would mae to specific entries.

Mario Party 1/2
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach:
:ultyoshi::ultwario::ultdk:
  • Though Toad and Bowser aren't playable for their roles and the roster size, what I said about the Mario Kart 64/Super Circuit rosters can be applied here.

Mario Party 3/4
:ultyoshi::ultwario:Waluigi:ultdk:
  • The next two rosters are also the same. With Mario Party 3 and Mario Tennis both releasing in 2000, they were most likely developed simultaneously, so I think it's logical to have Daisy, who was brought back, and Waluigi, a new character at the time, be playable and why I didn't have Toad and Bowser get in.

Mario Party 5-7
Toad:ultwario:Waluigi:ultdk::ultdiddy:
Koopa Kid
Toadette
Birdo
  • Everyone is back from the last four games, including DK. His space gets taken by another character.
  • Now that colored Toads are a thing and more characters have been introduced, the host role gets handed over to someone else and Toad breaks free becomes playable.
  • I already have the Mario Bros, both princesses, and the Wario Bros, so following this, I would add DK's little buddy DIddy for his significance.
  • Koopa Kid is listed below because he would be exclusive to 5's Super Duel Mode, rather than be playable everywhere outside of the Story Mode.
  • 6 and 7's rosters are the same, except Koopa Kid is gone (thanks to the removal Super Duel Mode) and Toadette and Birdo make their debuts in 6 and 7 respectively.

Mario Party 8
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultyoshi:Toad Toadette
:ultwario:Waluigi:ultdk::ultdiddy:Birdo:goomba:Koopa
  • I added the two most recurring enemies in the series, Goomba and Koopa Troopa, to the roster. Even if they're most commonly associated with Bowser, Paper Mario and other games have shown that some enemies are peaceful and oppose him.

Mario Party DS
:ultyoshi:Toad:ultwario:Waluigi
  • I considered having DK return over Toad, who would be relegated to a host again, but with the game's unique premise and plot, I decided to leave the roster intact.

Mario Party 9
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultrosalina:Pauline
:ultyoshi:Toad :ultwario:Waluigi:ultdk:Hammer Bro
  • For some reason, 9 had a smaller roster than 8, so cuts had to be made. Toadette becomes the host, Diddy would be part of a board, and Birdo, Goomba and Koopa would make background cameos.
  • Rosalina's absence from 9 is surprising, as both Galaxy games were out by this point and had amassed worldwide acclaim.
  • Pauline is here after her return and subsequent appearances in the Mario Vs. Donkey Kong games.
  • Hammer Bro, another prominent enemy, is here as a replacement for Goomba and Koopa.

Mario Party: Island Tour
Toad:ultwario:Waluigi:ultdk::ultbowserjr:
  • Bowser Jr. stays, mainly to fit in line with the now slightly altered story, where the Koopa Kids return and are assigned to guard Bowser's Tower, while he gets nothing to do.

Mario Party: Star Rush
Colored Toads (yellow, green, blue, and purple)
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultrosalina::ultyoshi:
Toad Toadette:ultwario:Waluigi:ultdk::ultdiddy:
:ultbowser::ultbowserjr:Boo
  • Aside from a color change in one Toad for variety, I don't really have any complaints or changes to make here. I kept Toadette over Birdo for her role in Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker and the trio at the bottom of the roster are exclusive to the Mario Scramble mode.

Super Mario Party
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultrosalina::ultyoshi::ultwario:Waluigi:ultdk::ultdiddy:
:ultbowser::ultbowserjr:Boom Boom:goomba:Koopa Hammer Bro Shy Guy Dry Bones Boo Monty Mole
  • Having the roster be a balanced mix between Mario and Bowser's sides is one I quite like and I think the time would come for Bowser to finally become playable.
  • The only replacement here is Boom Boom, who has made more appearances and been around longer than Pom Pom.

Mario Party Superstars
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultrosalina:/:ultdiddy:
:ultyoshi:Birdo:ultwario:Waluigi:ultdk:
  • Either Rosalina or Diddy Kong can be kept on the roster. Birdo has been absent from previous entries and I think having her return would be nice.

10 and Top 100 are never made, the latter because of its lack of content in comparison to the earlier games and, while it sounds like an innovative idea, the unfairness of Bowser Party and the difficulty of making it fair in the first place and the former because the 3DS was nearing its demise and the premise works better as a Switch game (as seen with Superstars). 9 would keep the traditional gameplay from previous games, but would add a new spin/gimmick to keep things fresh. I would keep Island Tour and Star Rush, though they weren't praised as much as the older games, because I can appreciate that they tried new things and they are handheld games, so they would be seen as their own things compared to the main entries. There would just be some changes to better them overall and have them play a little closer to previous games. Because of GBA limitations and its worse reception, I don't know what to do with Advance.

With how many sports games there are, I don't know if I'll do them or not (aside from replacing DK Jr. with Diddy in Mario Tennis), but you're welcome to provide your own takes.

Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Lord
Like the Mario Kart and SSB ones, this will a fun challenge to think of. (I’ll also add colors up to Mario Party 6). Also, I’ll have player 1 as red, player 2 as blue, player 3 as yellow, and player 4 as green for each entry.
None of the games will have unlockable characters since this a party game, and I assume players would want to start with every character.

Mario Party 1 & 2
Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, Wario, DK
The biggest characters in the Mario series except for Bowser, who is the bad luck space.

Mario Party 3 & 4
Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, Wario, DK, Birdo, Daisy
While I don’t have information on when Daisy and Waluigi were added in Mario Party 3, I assume it was pretty late in development as they weren’t playable in the story mode, and they appear pretty late in the story. Becuase Toad, Koopa Troopa, and Boo are allies in the Duel mode, they would be off the table. The eligible choices would be Birdo, Shy Guy, Baby Mario, Daisy, and Waluigi, and I think that I’d end up picking Birdo and Daisy in the end as Birdo is more established than Waluigi, and Daisy is easy to add (I’m not sure how this would affect Mario spinoffs down the line as I assume that Mario Party helped establish Waluigi’s place in the spinoffs).

Mario Party 5
Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, Wario, DK, Birdo, Daisy, Toad, Koopa Kid
While I like the DK spaces, I don’t think I’d use Donkey Kong as the good luck character. In terms of new characters, Toad and Koopa Kid make the most sense because they’re most relevant to the story.

Mario Party 6
Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, Wario, DK, Birdo, Daisy, Toad, Koopa Kid, Toadette
Given that she’s easier to model than Waluigi, Toadette still joins here.

Advance will be the same as the original one as those four are the most notable.

Mario Party 7
Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, Wario, DK, Birdo, Daisy, Toad, Toadette, Waluigi, Diddy Kong
Given the partner system for this game, Waluigi and Diddy Kong make the most sense.

Mario Party 8
Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, Wario, DK, Birdo, Daisy, Toad, Toadette, Waluigi, Diddy Kong, Hammer Bro, Blooper
While Koopa Troopa, Goomba, Shy Guy, and Boo are more established enemies, Hammer Bro and Blooper are cool to see, so I’m fine keeping them.

Mario Party DS
Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, Wario, DK, Birdo, Daisy
I decided to go with Mario Party 3’s roster as Donkey Kong wasn’t cut after 4, and Birdo honestly might be in Waluigi’s current position in this alternative timeline.

Mario Party 9
Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, Wario, DK, Birdo, Daisy, Toad, Koopa Troopa, Boo, Rosalina
I feel like the DS roster has to stay more or less, and Toad returns. For newcomers, Shy Guy and Kamek with Boo and Rosalina as Boo was decently common in sports games, and Rosalina was growing in prominence at the time.

Mario Party: Island Tour
Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, Wario, DK, Birdo, Daisy, Toad, Toadette
This is just my alternate Mario Party 6 without Koopa Kid

Mario Party 10 (13)
Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, Wario, DK, Birdo, Daisy, Toad, Toadette, Koopa Troopa, Boo, Rosalina
This is just combining Mario Party 9 and Island Tour together.

Mario Party: Star Rush (12)
Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, Wario, DK, Birdo, Daisy, Toad, Toadette, Koopa Troopa, Rosalina
This is just 10’s without Boo

Top 100 (8)
Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, Wario, DK, Daisy, Rosalina
This is like Mario Party 3, but Rosalina replaces Birdo.

Super Mario Party (20)
Mario, Luigi, Peach, Daisy, Yoshi, Wario, Waluigi, DK, Diddy Kong, Toad, Toadette, Koopa Troopa, Shy Guy, Boo, Birdo, Rosalina, Bowser, Bowser Jr., Goomba
Boo, Waluigi, and Diddy return. I like the idea of having Bowser and Bowser Jr. now playable. Goomba, Shy Guy, and Dry Bones are the next generic enemies to add, and Dry Bones was selected for being easier to add.

Mario Party Superstars (10)
Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, Wario, DK, Birdo, Daisy, Toad, Rosalina
This is like Island Tour, but Rosalina is playable instead.

Last edited:

Butters Stotch

Smash Ace
To be honest, if I were to add any more guest characters, I’d probably go as far as ones that share the same universe like :ultbanjokazooie:, Conker, and Geno (only calling him one because Square), plus Lip from Panel de Pon, as that got localised into a Yoshi game. Maybe a Rhythm Heaven character as well, given the ties to WarioWare and possibly :ultpacman: with Namco developing some games.

:ultfalcon: could potentially be thrown in as well. He doesn’t have any ties to the “Marioverse”, but seeing as he’s more well-known for his appearances in Smash and that Nintendo has given up on F-Zero, he could work.

By the way, I wouldn’t create Tour or the Booster Pass, as both heavily prolong the possibility of seeing a ninth game.

Edit: Shoot, I should've edited this into the post above. Dang.

Last edited:

The Smash Nerd II.0.

Smash Journeyman
Super Mario Kart: Same (Mario, Luigi, Peach (Called Princess in this game), Yoshi, Bowser, Donkey Kong Jr. Koopa Troopa, Toad)
Mario Kart 64 & Super Circuit: Same (Mario, Luigi, Peach, Toad, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, Wario, Bowser)
Note: From Double Dash onwords. Bold denotes unlockable drivers.
Mario Kart: Double Dash: Same (Mario & Luigi, Peach & Daisy, Yoshi & Birdo, Baby Mario & Baby Luigi, Toad & Toadette, Donkey Kong & Diddy Kong, Bowser & Bowser Jr, Wario & Waluigi, Koopa Troopa & Paratroopa, Petey Piranha & King Boo)
Mario Kart Arcade GP & GP 2: Added in GP 1: Mario, Luigi, Yoshi, Wario, Waluigi, Peach, Toad, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Bowser, Kamek, Pac-Man, Blinky Added in GP 2: Baby Mario.
Mario Kart DS: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, Toad, Donkey Kong, Wario, Bowser, Dry Bones, Daisy, Waluigi, Kamek. (Shy Guy is also playable but only in Download Play)
Mario Kart Wii: Baby Mario, Baby Luigi, Baby Peach, Toad, Toadette, Koopa Troopa, Dry Bones, Mario, Luigi, Peach, Daisy, Yoshi, Birdo, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Bowser/Dry Bowser, Bowser Jr, King Boo, Rosalina, Funky Kong, Kamek, Miis.
Mario Kart 7: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, Bowser, Donkey Kong, Toad, Koopa Troopa, Daisy, Wario, Waluigi, Fawful, Shy Guy, Rosalina, Metal Mario, Lakitu, Miis.
Mario Kart Arcade GP DX: Baby Mario, Baby Peach, Toad/Blue Toad, Bowser Jr. Lakitu, Peach, Yoshi, Waluigi, Mario, Luigi, Pac-Man (appearance from the Pac-Man World games), Daisy, Donkey Kong, Bowser/Dry Bowser, Wario, Rosalina, Robo Mario.
Mario Kart 8/8 Deluxe: Added in base Mario Kart 8: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Daisy, Rosalina, Metal Mario, Yoshi, Toad, Koopa Troopa, Shy Guy, Lakitu, Toadette, Baby Mario, Baby Luigi, Baby Peach, Bowser/Dry Bowser, Bowser Jr, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Wario, Waluigi, Miis. Added as DLC: Link/Champion's Tunic Link, Captain Falcon, Isabelle. Added in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: King Boo, Dry Bones, Inklings (Boy and Girl), Birdo (DLC), Petey Piranha (DLC), Wiggler (DLC), Kamek (DLC), Dixie Kong (DLC), Funky Kong (DLC), Pauline (DLC), Nabbit (DLC)

Last edited:

Otoad64

Smash Lord
Super Mario Kart
Super Mario Kart Roster.png

Only change is Goomba replacing Koopa as he's more iconic and I think it would be a funny and surprising pick due to their lack of arms

Mario Kart 64/Super Circuit
Mario Kart 64 Roster.png

Stays the same, these 8 are the most important Mario characters to this day, so you can't really change them

Mario Kart Double Dash
Mario Kart Double Dash!! Roster.png

Koopa is added as Goomba's partner, and King Boo is replaced by King Bob-Omb as I think they work well together. not as funny but oh well. otherwise the roster is fine as is.

Mario Kart DS
Mario Kart DS Roster.png

King Boo replaces R.O.B as I kinda think it's too early for non-Mario. Also Piranha Plant replaces Dry Bones because why not?

Mario Kart Wii
Mario Kart Wii Roster.png

Instead of more babies, we get Dry Bones in this game along with Goomba's return, Petey comes back, and Dixie Kong and Ashley are added to better represent the DKC and WarioWare games. also King Boo is with the lightweights because he's literally a ghost.

Mario Kart 7
Mario Kart 7 Roster.png

Dark Bowser is a much more interesting clone than Metal Mario and provides some rpg rep, Tatanga makes his comeback, Monty Mole makes more sense than Wiggler in my opinion, and Waluigi gets to stay.

Mario Kart 8
Mario Kart 8 Roster.png

The Koopalings are dropped in favour of more returning characters along with Wart, Baby Wario replaces Baby Rosalina since at least he already exists, and Paratroopa is added as a clone over Pink Gold Peach. for dlc, instead of more power-up variants we get Kamek and the return of Funky, and Kirby replaces Villager as Animal Crossing getting 2 characters is uneccesary and I think Kirby would fit really well in Mario Kart.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Roster.png

since Junior, King Boo, and Dry Bones are already in base Mario Kart 8 in my version, instead Petey and Monty come back, along with newcomer Hammer Bro.

may do Party in the future

Last edited:

TheLastMaverickHunter

Smash Journeyman
Cyan = Lightweight
Green = Mediumweight
Red = Heavyweight

Super Mario Kart
MarioPeachBowserToad
LuigiYoshiDonkey KongKoopa Troopa

Mario Kart 64/Super Circuit
MarioLuigiPeachToad
YoshiDonkey KongWarioBowser

Mario Kart: Double Dash!!
MarioPeachYoshiBaby MarioToadKoopa TroopaDonkey KongBowserWarioPetey Piranha
LuigiDaisyBirdoBaby LuigiToadetteKoopa ParatroopaDiddy KongBowser Jr.WaluigiKing Boo

Mario Kart DS
MarioLuigiPeachYoshiToad
Donkey KongWarioBowserDaisyWaluigi
Dry BonesShy GuyR.O.B.

Mario Kart Wii
Baby MarioBaby LuigiKoopa TroopaDry Bones
ToadToadetteToadsworthPyoro 9-Volt
MarioLuigiPeachDaisy
YoshiBirdoDiddy KongBowser Jr.
WarioWaluigiDonkey KongBowser
King BooRosalinaFunky KongDry Bowser
Mii Outfit AMii Outfit B